Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WWE Royal Rumble 2022 - Women's Royal Rumble

[be more kind]

Status
      Country                    England

Re: WWE Royal Rumble 2022 - Women's Royal Rumble

Quote Originally Posted by Fuji Vice View Post
    Is it always the same “surprise” entrants? I honestly can’t remember. Still, it doesn’t change the fact that they can easily include some NXT women and a few legends to pad out the numbers. The dirt sheet narrative that they don’t have enough workers is wrong, plain and simple.

EDIT: Because I saw Styles post up there, I also don’t think it would be a big deal if they dropped the entrants down to 20. It would certainly help to speed up what’s already looking to be a long show.
    Kelly, McCool, Lita, The Bella's have all been in a few times now. I'm not against the concept, just wish there was some variety.

Sent from my Nokia 2.3 using Tapatalk

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Postman Dave View Post
    Kelly, McCool, Lita, The Bella's have all been in a few times now. I'm not against the concept, just wish there was some variety.

Sent from my Nokia 2.3 using Tapatalk
    Layla has been retired for awhile, but it would be great to see her and McCool return this year, particularly with Mickie James involved as well. Maybe they could even bury the hatchet and kill that ridiculous Piggie James thing once and for all.

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

Comeback King

Status

I guess with there naturally being less women wrestlers over the years there is less chance of there being as much variety. Like who could they really bring back who hasn't been in it already? There isn't that many. Layla is a good shout but then I'm struggling.
    WWE: The New Vision| Former BTB Overlord | Order's Interviews

BTB Achievements
    Current BTB - WWE: The New Vision

Spoiler:

+
    FIVE BTBOTM AWARDS

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

They could send out feelers to Gail Kim, but I doubt they would given her penchant for trash talking them on Twitter.

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

Wordle Playing Admin

Status

Cutting it down to 20 women would help the match quality and be less reliant on not-so-surprises retired veteran spots, but then you're just inviting a load of bad attention for making the women's rumble less important than the mens and highlighting on your own show that they fired too many women unnecessarily in the past year. So for the lesser of two evils, I think they have to stick with 30 entrants.

I've just checked, Kelly Kelly was actually only in the 2018 and 2020 rumbles, but I've mandela effected it to her being in every one of them. In fact, Lita, Michelle McCool and The Bella twins were only in the 2018 rumble also, and Summer Rae has never been in them either so in truth they haven't really gone to the well all that much with these particular returns.

By my count they've got 21 names listed, and that's on a show that's already got Becky, Doudrop, Beth and Maryse used elsewhere. Alexa is definitely going to be another name either added or a surprise entrant. Xia Li did debut on SD a month ago so I don't know where she is but she might be in this, and also Sonya too to pay off the stuff with Naomi. Asuka and Lacey Evans I have a pretty good suspicion are in the match too but will be surprises. I think it's gonna come too early for Bayley unless she's progressed better than expected. They really only need about 5-6 NXT call ups (maybe those that don't fit NXT 2.0 anymore) to fill this thing out, and that's been the norm for every Rumble so far. Considering they would have banked on Sasha and Toni Storm being in this match a month ago, they really wouldn't have been far off filling 30 spots if everything was in their control.

I think the real issue is the lack of potential and/or interesting winners. Sasha's out who would have been a favourite. I don't see them going the Charlotte route. There's Belair who I think is a favourite, but that's been done before only last year. If she doesn't have the dumb gimmick Alexa would be a good shout to win because they'd trust her to build one of the big mania matches. Outside chances of Shayna or Rhea perhaps but damage has already been done with them two a little bit.
    ​​​​​ ​​​
    Ed's Favourite Threads
    Ed Reviews Everything l Ed's Kings Road Journey

Ed's Top Matches of the Year Lists
    2016 l 2017 l 2018 l 2019 l 2020 l 2021

Curtain Jerker

Status
      Country                    France

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Cutting it down to 20 women would help the match quality and be less reliant on not-so-surprises retired veteran spots, but then you're just inviting a load of bad attention for making the women's rumble less important than the mens and highlighting on your own show that they fired too many women unnecessarily in the past year. So for the lesser of two evils, I think they have to stick with 30 entrants.
    They backed themselves into a corner with this match when they decided it would be 30 women only because women have to do the exact same things as the men. There's no problem with having a women's rumble, the company, and our societies are evolving regarding the place of women, WWE is a publicly traded company and PG product, they had to do it, and with the women's evolution thing, the era of the horsewomen, Ronda Rousey coming to WWE and the large amount talented women heading to NXT at the time it was a good idea to do it. But, even at the time they had to fill the match with NXT girls and retired talents. But they should have make it a 20-Woman match at the beginning and eventually expand it to 30 a few years after when they finally had enough women on the main roster.

The company has less women, less women's titles (and even too many) and less women's matches on every show than men's superstars, titles (too much also) and matches. Cutting down to 20 wouldn't make it less important, just proportional.
    It would be smarter than to call 7 former superstars, including the current IMPACT Knockouts Champion, whom they've fired one year ago in controversial fashion, and put one of their women's champion in the match. Plus the two other former superstars booked in a match with their respective husbands.

They are kind of publicly admitting they have absolutly mismanaged their women's division with this type of booking.

A lone Wolf

Status

Apparently, there is a LOT of scuttlebutt in the company about Rousey returning qt the Rumble, and perhaps even far beyond that.

That's what Fightful is reporting anyways. They say there is nothing near confirmation that she'll be there, but it is confirmed that she is training for a return and that there had been ALOT of talk that the company as been talking to her regarding the Rumble since late last year.

World Champion

Status
      Country                    United States

Yeah I can see why they'd want to do that. Having Ronda back in the fold would be one of the biggest ways to possibly spur on some fan interest on the road to WrestleMania.

I've just checked, Kelly Kelly was actually only in the 2018 and 2020 rumbles, but I've mandela effected it to her being in every one of them. In fact, Lita, Michelle McCool and The Bella twins were only in the 2018 rumble also, and Summer Rae has never been in them either so in truth they haven't really gone to the well all that much with these particular returns.
    The fact that there's been other women battle royals in the same time span likely contributes to this belief. Maybe Kelly Kelly was only in the 2018 and 2020 Rumbles, but she was also in the Evoluton 2018 battle royal. Torrie Wilson was also in that battle royal (In addition to 2018 and 2021 Rumble), as was Molly Holly (Also in the 2018 and 2020 Rumbles). Throw in the fact that there's been Mae Young Wrestlemania battle royals (I don't believe there were any legends in those matches), you end up seeing the same women so often in battle royals.

A lone Wolf

Status

I believe we're going to say Raquel Gpnzalez debut in this one and have an impressive showing. Rumor is she was supposed to head up to the main roster after the last NXT special but they are keeping her around a touch longer because they needed to fill out the brackets in the Dusty Classic with more star power.

I'm expecting two of the following to debut at the Rumble: Ciammpa, Dunne, LA Knight (He worked a match on Main Event against T-Bar and had a Raw exclusive segment with The Dirty Dawgs last night), or Gonzalez. Possibility of Io showing up too.

Liv Forever

Status
      Country                    New Zealand

I think sort of quietly considering the online complaints about WWE not having the numbers for this Rumble (despite easily doing so) This Rumble has actually ended up quite stacked. There's some relative Star power in this Rumble match. Charlotte, Sasha Banks, Lita, Bellas, Mickie James, Liv, Bianca, Rhea, rumours of Bayley, Ronda, Asuka and even Paige returning in the Rumble now.

I've largely checked out of Rumble matches in recent years, they had a horror stretch of poorly booked Rumbles for a while there and the general feeling that ultimately its only a very select few people that have any chance of winning has made them quite dull now.

But this match has me interested, as I feel there's genuinely a large number of women who could win it. I feel like nearly every name I've listed has a shot of winning this year.

And I feel like the fact they've announced the likes of Lita, Mickie, and the Bellas ahead of time, and had Sasha return on SD rather than waiting one more night means there must be big surprises in store for this match. Even the WWE aren't dumb enough to spoil most of the fun of a Rumble match before it even begins.

Yeah I was going to say most of those women you're touting as being in every Rumble have only been in one or two at most. Less womens wrestlers in general though means there's going to be less variety for all the various 'Legends' spots WWE does over the course of a year.
    Last edited by ETE; 01-29-2022 at 12:27 AM.

World Champion

Status

Fascinating you say that ETE because the 2020 Men's Rumble is probably a top 3 all-time Rumble for me. Last year's wasn't half bad either, but Christian's surprise return played a big role in my perception of that one probably.

Liv Forever

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The EC View Post
    Fascinating you say that ETE because the 2020 Men's Rumble is probably a top 3 all-time Rumble for me. Last year's wasn't half bad either, but Christian's surprise return played a big role in my perception of that one probably.
    I'll qualify all of that by saying my interest in Pro Wrestling has largely been really low in recent years. There's only the occasional feud here and there that I've enjoyed. With several poor Rumbles in a row years back I just haven't 'got' back into them as a fan. Drew who I consider to be about as bland and dull as its possible for a human being to be winning the 2020 RR probably doesn't help either...

World Champion

Status

All fair enough. You had to at least appreciate Brock geeking out like 15 dudes in a row though? Shit was amazing.

Liv Forever

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The EC View Post
    All fair enough. You had to at least appreciate Brock geeking out like 15 dudes in a row though? Shit was amazing.
    No doubt I did enjoy that.

Comeback King

Status

Sasha returning makes her favourite with Belair for me. That is unless we get Rousey or Bayley as surprises.
    WWE: The New Vision| Former BTB Overlord | Order's Interviews

BTB Achievements
    Current BTB - WWE: The New Vision

Spoiler:

+
    FIVE BTBOTM AWARDS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information