Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2021 WC Wrestling Awards - Hall of Fame

World Champion

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: 2021 WC Wrestling Awards - Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by SupineSnake View Post
    since when did everyone love batista so much?
    2004-ish

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Batista has always been awesome and I won't hear a word otherwise

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

People's Champion

Status
      Country                    Netherlands

I think I might have voted for him, can't quite remember. Very surprised to see him with so many votes though.

Status

If you don't love Batista you're the one that's wrong tbh.

Also he got a lot of votes because he's probably just the biggest slam dunk case on the ballot. Was legitimately one of the biggest wrestlers in the world at his peak, consistently good matches, great promos, enough recency bias to still be well remembered by everyone here, and it probably doesn't hurt that he's now a fairly likeable movie star. Has a much better case than Kane who pretty much got in just on the strength of being a memorable gimmick.

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread
    | Silk's Degrassi Recaps
    Silk's Miscellaneous Match Reviews
    Queen of Dunks, Comic and Game Dork, Shoutbox Diva, #Iconic Hall of Famer
    #BlackLivesMatter
    Spoiler:

[footnote: Is now the longest reigning WWE Champion in Smackdown history]

All About That Ace

Status
      Country                    Palestinian Territory

If it wasn't for Batista's heel run later on, there's virtually no way I'd vote for him. Though him being very likeable post-WWE helps. But pre-heel run dude was boring af. One of those guys I'd never go back to watch a match from and I never really see anyone going back to watch his matches.. though the latter is certainly anecdotal.

World Champion

Status

Batista s a pretty bad wrestler but hes pretty good at promos. He can be carried to good to great matches though

World Champion

Status

I would describe Batista as a good wrestler for his time and place. Maybe today he wouldn't "work" as well but for the era he was in, he had the right skillset and was able to execute the style.

Status

I think if anything Batista would excel even more today because his style is more unique. When you see people like Braun Strowman or Bobby Lashley getting mega over for smashing dudes when Batista is a superior worker to both, it's hard not to imagine that Big Dave would be absolutely killing it in today's scene where the level of talent around him has significantly risen.

The idea that Batista is a "bad wrestler" is appalling. Dave was really good especially for his stature and considering how often he had to work with dull as dirt wrestlers he did everything he could. Prime Dave would put on some absolute smashers with guys like Roman, Owens, Styles, etc.

| Silk's Degrassi Recaps
    #BlackLivesMatter
    Spoiler:

World Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Silk View Post
    I think if anything Batista would excel even more today because his style is more unique. When you see people like Braun Strowman or Bobby Lashley getting mega over for smashing dudes when Batista is a superior worker to both, it's hard not to imagine that Big Dave would be absolutely killing it in today's scene where the level of talent around him has significantly risen.

The idea that Batista is a "bad wrestler" is appalling. Dave was really good especially for his stature and considering how often he had to work with dull as dirt wrestlers he did everything he could. Prime Dave would put on some absolute smashers with guys like Roman, Owens, Styles, etc.
    Guys that can carry him to a great match...

He does a pretty good spine buster though. ill give him that. He looks pretty robotic in ring.

Hes the definition of a cookie cutter WWE wrestler.

i cant even think of a match of his id rewatch...even the three way with Danielson and Orton. id be more interested in watching another Danielson match
    Last edited by indyfan; 01-04-2022 at 07:00 PM.

World Champion

Status

Well, professionally Batista probably would excel in any era. I guess I was just looking at it through the lens of fan perception, and the fact that the in-ring standard in the Ruthless Aggression days was different, in that you mostly just needed to be able to have a good Hell in a Cell match above anything else.

Like, I wonder years from now when this modern era of guys has come and gone, would someone like Strowman or Lashley really have a very good shot at this HOF? I feel less pushed workers who are considered better workers like a Cesaro stand a far better chance (even if you don't take into account all the non-WWE stuff).

Demon on the Loose

Status
      Country                    Greece

Quote Originally Posted by Silk View Post
    If you don't love Batista you're the one that's wrong tbh.

Also he got a lot of votes because he's probably just the biggest slam dunk case on the ballot. Was legitimately one of the biggest wrestlers in the world at his peak, consistently good matches, great promos, enough recency bias to still be well remembered by everyone here, and it probably doesn't hurt that he's now a fairly likeable movie star. Has a much better case than Kane who pretty much got in just on the strength of being a memorable gimmick.
    I'm sorry but Kane is much more than a memorable gimmick. He is a dedicated professional who never bitched about his spot on a card, was always willing to put over younger talent and always did the best he could with what was given to him even if it was garbage storylines like Katie Vick or Lita's baby. Was he a great wrestler? Absolutely not. But the same can be said about Batista.

Nothing against Batista of course, he is a legend in his own right, one of the very few big guys that made the most out of his main event push, some very good matches and feuds. His heel persona in 09-10 was cool.
    The RED Report!
    (A New Episode every once in a blue moon!)

Status

Batista was a FAR superior wrestler to Kane. The disrespect people lob on the guy just because he was a walking muscle, c'mon.

No offense to Kane but if we're giving out Hall of Fame spots to guys who were just consummate professionals, the field would be a lot more hotly contested every year. The only thing he stands out for is having a long-tenured and memorable gimmick. To his credit he wore that gimmick well and owned the character, so good for him, but as a wrestler he's probably going to be in the bottom five of this Hall for a long long time.

| Silk's Degrassi Recaps
    #BlackLivesMatter
    Spoiler:

Demon on the Loose

Status
      Country                    Greece

Kane was much better than people give him credit for. Good at selling and telling a story in the ring. I would totally understand someone saying that Batista was better than Kane in the ring, but FAR superior? Meh, not so much. But anyway that's up to people's preferences I guess.
    The RED Report!
    (A New Episode every once in a blue moon!)

Fire Walk with Me

Status
      Country                    Great Britain

You’d think that Brodus Clay had just been inducted. I think both are worthy of being there but Kane is a legacy. You can say Batista had achievements and I think he deserves to have the nod but I don’t think he’s anywhere near as iconic as Kane was in terms of the ‘lore’ of WWE. Batista had the superstar look and the push of his time but Kane was one of few wrestlers to come in with an outlandish gimmick and make it work, even as the product became more sanitised and real. I just think there’s something about Kane that not every wrestler can say for themselves, maybe it’s that nostalgia, but The HOF isn’t necessarily about the ‘best wrestler’ or the ‘most professional’ and I don’t see the problem with him being part of it.

World Champion

Status

At the end of the day I'm pretty satisfied with all three inductees. You really can't say any of the three of them aren't deserving.

Status

I mean I certainly don't think Kane is necessarily unworthy and didn't mean to imply I did. Kane is for better or worse a super prominent name in the biz and unquestionably meets the "fame" qualifier.

It's just Batista's resume is much stronger which is all I was really saying in the first place.

| Silk's Degrassi Recaps
    #BlackLivesMatter
    Spoiler:

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

Quote Originally Posted by Shake View Post
    She would have made it with my vote, I assume, so it is my fault. It's not really a need to discuss more if she's on the precipice of making it without me doing anything. It's more I am a chump who should learn to vote on time. Could benefit from more discussion? Yeah. Do I think it's worth it? Sadly not I don't think a thread looking at Toyota would generate much discussion unfortunately but could be wrong.

Sure they're both up there. I'd have Kong and Toyota ahead of Satomura on influence alone but think Meiko's probably got a better match catalogue than both. Meiko suffers from the fact that I don't think she's had the same highs as Toyota and Kong and I also associate her more with a later Joshi era. Still think Meiko vs Io is the best Joshi match i've seen. Aside from not being eligible obviously, they are a good choice.
    I also forgot the vote in second wave so we're the reason Toyota lost out to Kane, of all people.

Satomura is probably more relevant to modern people but I still think Toyota is likely the better bet because of of her legacy. Even hearing about classic Joshi, you're hearing about Toyota at a minimal level. Aja Kong is a different story though, as she has the famous match where she broke Asari's nose, scaring Vince so much that he scrapped the division. Of course, she has to be eligible.

And I believe Kawada is the greatest wrestler of all time so him getting in makes me a happy lad. Time to start pimping Genichiro Tenryu next.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by MC 16 View Post
    And I believe Kawada is the greatest wrestler of all time so him getting in makes me a happy lad. Time to start pimping Genichiro Tenryu next.
    I'm on that train too, buddy. Let's get Tenryu in.

Status

With Dave in pretty much all my eligible all-time faves have made the cut so my vote can very much be swayed in coming years. Even voted for Toyota this year.

| Silk's Degrassi Recaps
    #BlackLivesMatter
    Spoiler:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information