Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Football Manager 2022 Thread

All About That Ace

Status
      Country                    Palestinian Territory

Re: Football Manager 2022 Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Commie Uncle View Post
    Do you not have a board option to request a U18/U23 team? I requested a U19 team for Newcastle. They're useless but they gave it to me. Feel like you should have an option to have a U18 team.

This is why I play e_e

Forgot to mention that Bellingham & Adeyemi made TOTY while Adeyemi won Golden Ball, U21 Footballer of the Year, Footballer of the Year, and Player of the Year. Beating out Haaland and Salah for the most part.
    Season is over! Alas, we could not do a repeat. The schedule caught up to us and we finished 3rd in the league. This run of games in April was very tough and very sad. We always run up against the tough teams in tournaments. We couldn't beat Liverpool in the home leg of the Champions League. Draws against Arsenal, Liverpool (who were first at the time), and Man City (who went on to clinch the league).

We won the last 3 games of the season comfortably. And with a run that included Man U, Liverpool, and Chelsea, we beat Arsenal in the FA Cup Finals to have something to celebrate after all.

Adeyemi won a bunch more awards. He also won German Footballer of the Year in which Moukoko finished 2nd. Too bad there's no national team. ;(

He managed 42 goals in 38 games in the league (subbed in on two of those). He was exhausted for most of the last quarter of it but I wanted to get as many goals out of him as I could. Think he got about 10 awards total this season. Hoping he becomes the GOAT tbh.

Adeyemi with 59 goals and 8 assists,
    Moukoko with 23 goals and 15 assists,
    Bellingam with 14 goals and 20 assists,
    Harvey Elliot with 7 goals and 16 assists,
    Alan Velasco with 2 goals and 13 assists,
    ASM with 9 goals and 16 assists,
    Yusuf Demir wiht 6 goals and 11 assists,
    Tanguy Nianzou with 11 goals and 5 assists,
    Benoit Badiashile with 14 goals and 3 assists.

Lots of goals scored which is what I like B) Vandervoodt finished 3rd in the league for least goals conceded.

Good season despite how much of a bummer that month was. Hopefully we can sell one or two players so we can make some room for new talent. I have a few players I'd never sell but plenty I'm willing to part with for a good price.

Anyways, here's to a better finish next season or maybe just maybe some luck in the Champions League?

Status

A mere 59 goals? Bah!

Nice recap, sir. Hopefully you can make that next step.

I do believe you can get the board to add a youth squad, so its probably its possible for a reserve squad. Would take some time, though. I will be trying that... if the save gets that far.

Played a bit last night. Only a few friendlies left. Still trying to track down players who we can afford, will help the squad, and will get a Work Permit. Its kinda frustrating TBH. A bit after I shut down for the night, I was watching some football highlights on YouTube and ended up booting the gaming rig back up to fire up a save with Rosario Central. Not to play... just to check things out. But honestly, the save appeals to me quite a bit. A bit of a challenge but some good youth prospects. I didn't want to do a South American save just yet, because your recruitment is limited in quite a few ways. But its not like doing a Prem club is exactly opening the world to me as options. Like I just got told flat out fucking no by the agent of a player at a 2nd division club in Germany. So that's nice lol

EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

So I definitely can add an Under-19 squad. Because they did. Its not in a competition, full of gray players, and won't be of much use just yet. But its there. Not just about adding a proper reserve side.

The position I'd really love to reinforce is RB. Our starting RB isn't very good, we don't really have a backup, and our best central defender (Ajer) is probably our best RB. Been scouting a couple dozen young RBs. No dice. Made loan offers that the clubs accepted - Nico Williams from Liverpool and an Argentine kid that Arsenal signed - but both just flat out reject the loan. Makes sense - why would they want to come be a regular starter for another Prem club when they can play in the reserves.

Suffice to say, I'm flat out not having fun right now, dude. Main reasons I'm still rolling with it is wanting to see how I do in the first few league matches and hoping I might land a player or two on deadline day.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Zoom E | Szumi | Old Man

Status
      Country                    Poland

Go to Germany my dude. League is fun, and the squad registration makes it perfect for scouting wonderkids like you seem to love the most. The only downfall is that most clubs that have a II squad don't play in a playable league do you'd have to schedule weekly friendlies to develop players not in the U19s. A lot of clubs have great youth recruitment as well.

WCW 99: The Fingerpoke of Doom
    Now Playing in BTB Section!

Status

I absolutely cannot settle on a club in Germany. Long been one of my favorite places to manage, despite the II team issues and not being able to play youngsters until they are 17. But none of the clubs really seem to feel... right. I used to go with Dortmund, as they are a real life favorite, but the talent there makes things a bit too easy... which isn't quite the kind of save I'm seeking. Mainz, Freiburg, Borussia Mochengladbach and Stuttgart all have their appeals but none are quite entice enough to jump into. Maybe that's what I need to do at some point - just fire up a save with one of them.

In the meantime, I did make it through the first 3 PL match days with Brentford. We are undefeated. Not only undefeated but have won 3 out of 3. 9 points, baby!

Okay, its a bit less impressive when I acknowledge that those opponents were Brighton, Burnley, and Norwich. Went fairly aggressive with a gegenpress tactic and it worked out perfectly.

I've said many times that the schedule tends to play a pretty big role in how you do as a "lesser" side in the Prem. A run of "winnable" fixtures can set up your whole season. An early run of touch fixtures can kill your season because 3 bad losses in a row tends to nuke your morale and then its uphill, even if you come onto a run of easier opponents. Our September EPL fixtures are Liverpool, Everton, and Arsenal. In October, we have Tottenham, City, Leeds, and United. It could get ugly.

I got annoyed at not finding a reasonable RB. Ended up dropping 8.75m (structured) on Khvicha Kvaratskhelia. He's a Georgian winger who plays at Rubin. Quite a wonderkid and pretty solid to start. His value jumped to 73-99M upon signing and he's started all 3 league matches us.

He's a good buy, even if he's an imperfect wonderkid. The issue is that he's a winger and winger was one of my strongest positions, depth-wise. I have added two other wingers - the Scottish kid from Celtic and Stipe Biuk, an 18 year old from Hajduk who I bough8t mostly due to being able to get a WP. I also added a Scottish defender who is only 16 and needs a lot of development. Like a LOT lot.

I'm not real happy with the recruitment. I recruited to strength rather than addressing weaknesses. The buys don't necessarily feel very "Brentford". But the WPs and club rep kinda limit me.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

Feels like Brentford save is on its last legs.

Played a decent amount over the weekend. Into November. Managed to make it into October without a loss. Pulled draws against Liverpool and Arsenal, and beat Tottenham. But lost to both City and United and they were narrow losses that were disguised beatdowns. We played poorly enough against City that I fined 3 players a weeks wages and none of them complained.

So we are sitting 5th, and not far off 1st. I'd be chuffed and excited, but its a bit of a false position. Between the heavy run in December and the mid-season rep reset, I expect things to get uglier. We 100% cannot get relegated now, which is really the only goal for this season. But we are bound to slide a bit. I'm not certain whether holding onto a Europa League spot would be a good thing or not. I mean, it IS a good thing but comes with some baggage. I don't expect the gegenpress to keep working quite as well as our rep grows as fewer teams will attack us, and we honestly don't have an ideal squad for it. If suits us decently but we aren't all aggressive and super-fit, so....

A couple of factors are bugging me, though. One is players complaining about wanting new contracts and playing time. My captain has all the assets to be an effective captain, but he basically refuses to help out by talking to teammates. That fucking sucks. I've given out a couple new contracts, but that makes transitioning the squad more challenging so I'm hesitant to hand out too many...

The other is a nice run of injuries. Happens in every save, I know. Doesn't help that I'm using a high intensity tactic and have a lack of depth in certain positions. But I've gotten 3 ankle injuries of 3-5 weeks each in-match, all from "heavy challenges". One got a yellow, one was just a foul, and one wasn't whistled at all, despite the commentary describing it as a late challenge that didn't get the ball. Just annoying as fuck.

After the third one, I saved and decided to fire up with Rosario Central. Honestly, the saves looks far more fun and more of what I want. But apparently there is an issue with board expectations in Argentina that hasn't been solved yet, so probably not ideal to go forward in Argentina it is.

So I will either keep plugging away with Brentford a bit further. Or maybe start up with a club in the Bundesliga if I can settle on one.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

Yup Argentina is a no-go at this point. Ran a short test save and sure enough, by September every manager in the Argentine top flight was Insecure or below in terms of Job Security. Almost 10 clubs were without a manager.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

So Argentina is out for the moment. Sucks because I was starting to lean into the idea of that Rosario Central save. Brentford save hasn't been deleted or anything yet but I can't see it rolling on. I am kinda keen to see how the Georgian wonderkid pans out. I also have a deal in place for a 17yo Swedish central mid who looks brilliant.

Most likely option still feels like Atletico Mineiro. I was intending to back-burner that save idea until later in the FM22 cycle. Part of the reason is that Mineiro are now one of the top three clubs in Brazil in terms of reputation. In reality, they are running away with Serie A and have a strong squad. And a deep squad, which is pretty vital given the density of the matches in Brazil. So there isn't a lot of upward growth available. Part of why I'm thinking of doing the save now is that the combo of Hulk and Diego Costa might get nerfed in a data update, and they were so fun in the beta save.

The other possibility is a save in Germany. But as I've said, I just don't know which club. So here is me mulling out the options. Germany is somewhere that I've managed in many past FMs and with a few different clubs. But dynamics change and that's something I'm aware of. I'd like a club with some upward growth possible but also one that has enough reputation and money to land some quality young players. There are some big clubs in the 2.Bundesliga, but I can't say the likes of HSV, Schalke, or Werder Bremen are all that appealing. I enjoyed Ingolstadt at one point but again, now lower down and more of a build than I really want at this point. Same with clubs like Dynamo Dresden and St. Pauli.

Borussia Dortmund - my favorite club in Germany and probably 2nd favorite club in the sport. Had some fun saves with them in the Klopp and immediate post-Klopp era. But feels a bit too easy, with so much talent. Not that toppling Bayern is easy. But Dortmund have a lot of pieces. And the money to land all the next generation of wonderkids. And even more money if / when you sell Haaland and Bellingham for 100m apiece. Could be fun but just not the kind of save I'm seeking right now.

Freiburg - kinda similar to Brentford in terms of status. A cool dynamic in Germany is that they have escalator clubs, that get promoted and relegated with some frequency but they operate in a manner that allows for that not impact in a serious way financially. Freiburg are of those clubs. They always have a bit of nice talent but aren't wealthy. Just built a pretty new stadium. Don't get a lot to spend - just over 1m - and wage budget isn't huge either. They are actually near the top of the table but they were bottom three in December in my Brentford save, so they aren't exactly an "easy" save. Nice possibility for growth but probably start a bit smaller than I'd like to go.

Borussia Mochengladbach - probably favorites right now and I'm not sure why. An FM content creator I watch at times (Bust the Net aka Daljit) had a short save with them and I can't say it inspired me. But they are a top half club in terms of talent and reputation. 55K stadium and some sweet history. Same transfer budget as Dortmund, but much smaller wage budget. So room to do some things without too much pressure... I hope...

Mainz - kinda in between those two above clubs is Mainz. Similar to Freiburg in that they do go down to the 2.Bundesliga sometimes and aren't in a huge city with a huge fanbase. Bit more budget, bit better quality squad, etc. Might be the best compromise.

Koln - another club that drops sometimes, but they have the fanbase to be closer to Gladbach, really. Messed with them a few saves years ago. Not a huge level of appeal.

Bayer Leverkusen - my favorite plastic club! Neverkusen famously have never won a league title, but have actually won a continental trophy (UEFA Cup) as well the Champoins League final, making them pretty unique. Big club, big budget, strong quality of players. And a youth academy that will spit out a 5 star newgen almost every youth intake. Quite similar to a Dortmund save in terms of challenge so not at this point.

Wolfsburg - another plastic club but featuring some sweet green kits! They won the league back in 2009 and are owned by Volkswagen. Pretty similar to Gladbach but without having a long history as a successful club.

Frankfurt - I've tried saves with the club a few times. I think motivated purely by the fact that Frankfurt is the only German city I have visited. Pretty big club, solid squad, great stadium, and a decent budget.

Stuttgart - messed around with them a few times back around FM13-15. They won the league back in 2007 but were relegated a few seasons ago. Big stadium, big supporter base, and decent talent. They should probably appeal more than they do.

Hertha BSC - being in Berlin and having a 75K stadium, Hertha are set up to be a super power. But they aren't. Finished 14th last season. There is a decent budget to build with. Just dont' find them all that appealing. Weirdly, they have a really ugly stadium setup because the Olympiastadion has a really wide athletics track and while that's not uncommon in Germany, its always stood out to me as one of the least appealing looking pitches... even if its not going to be properly represented in FM anyway.

I'll probably end up giving Gladbach a chance. Maybe fire up a save with them tonight just to check things out.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Non-Binary Finery

Status
      Country                    Scotland

The disrespect to Wolfsburg jeezo I love playing as them when I do Germany. Freiburg seem like a great option as well

"I can cure sex cancer!"
    "
    Sex cancer isn't even a thing!"
    "......I did it."
    Sheffield United: Blades Against The Throat

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Chaddes View Post
    The disrespect to Wolfsburg jeezo I love playing as them when I do Germany. Freiburg seem like a great option as well
    What disrespect? I mentioned they have a nice green kit!

The offer something more?

Not sure why Wolfsburg don't appeal more. they have some talent and some money. Think I just have a bias against the "plastic" clubs in Germany. Its why RB Leipzig aren't even really getting considered.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Zoom E | Szumi | Old Man

Status
      Country                    Poland

I personally would go with Gladbach out of those options (excluding Berlin since I'm using them already haha), although it's tempting to say Leverkusen because of that youth academy. Gladbach have an interesting roster, especially since their best 2 players are not going to stay there long in Zakaria and Thuram.

Finished my first season in Germany with Hertha Berlin. Still not super invested, but I've started to learn to appreciate this year's game a bit more, despite still thinking FM21 is a vastly better game. Berlin are perennial underachievers IRL, and always end up a bottom half sometimes fighting relegation despite having better players than that + money there to spend. Surprisingly, I was given pre-season expectations of qualifying for Champions League and SF of the Pokal. Lofty expectations that I did not expect to achieve, and I probably would've struggled to achieve if I didn't cheat (imo) by having the first transfer window on to make signings.

I didn't do anything crazy in the first window, but did improve the squad because of how lopsided it is. Signed Julian Araujo (RB) and Paxton Pomykal on frees because MLS is broken and released WAY too many young players for absurd reasons. Michel Aebischer joined from Young Boys for €5m as a CM to play either Mezzala or B2B. Munir was the big one, as he was transfer listed and came in for €10m.

Settled on a 442 Diamond Gegenpress because wide options suck, and this squad is too limited to be a group that will control the game with possession. Berlin does have a solid CB pair in Niklas Stark and Boyata, as well as a pair of highly promising teenage CBs in Marton Dardai and Linus Gechter, both who can develop into great players. Deyovaisio Zeefuik is a RWB w/good ability to potentially sell, and then you have guys like transfer flops such as Stevan Jovetic and Krzysztof Piatek. Here's the depth chart:

GK: Schwolow; scrubs
    RB: Zeefuik; Araujo
    RCB: Boyata; Gechter
    LCB: Stark; Dardai
    LB: Mittelstadt; Plattenhardt
    DM (BWM): Tousart; Ascacibar
    RCM (Mezzala): Aebischer; Pomykal
    LCM (B2B): Serdar; Darida
    AM: Munir; KPB
    PF: Selke; Piatek; Belfodil
    AF: Jovetic; Myziane Maolida; Marco Richter

It took until Matchday 13 to break into the Top 4, as there was definitely some learning curves with the squad and I think the game, including losing 4 of 6 after winning my first 2 matches. An 11 match unbeaten run followed, and when that ended with a loss to Wolfsburg, we responded by shocking Bayern 2-1 (we were home, but still, upset). We rode the momentum and comfortably finished Top 4 in 3rd place. Never challenged Bayern or Dortmund for top 2, but the likes of Leverkusen, Leipzig, and Gladbach weren't great on the year, all finishing 55 points or under. 60 is usually there abouts for Champions League in Bundesliga. I finished with 63, Wolfsburg had 58 to get 4th, 5th was 55. Clubs made it easy to get the goal. Only made QF of the Cup, thanks to drawing Bayern.

One thing that seemed to happen regularly: losing late. We lost after conceding losing goals in the 83', 90+6', 89', 81', and 85'. There were several in the final 15/20 minutes as well. Meh.

The January transfer window saw me bring in wonderkid Tiago Tomas from Sporting for only €3.5m. no idea why they sold him so cheaply, but hey, he had 7g + 2a in 10(7) so money well spent! Munir was a transfer success too, 7g + 11a (3rd in the league) in 30 appearances. Michel Aebischer was a poor signing, while Pomykal was a surprise success, 3g + 8a in 24(5) despite only ever being 2.5 stars.

The true shock was Davie Selkie. This is a pressing forward with great physical stats (16 pace, 17 stamina, 15 strength), but he's 11/11/10 at dribbling, finishing, ball control, and anticipation, composure, decisions, and off the ball are all 10 or lower. He's never been prolific in his career. Had 21 league goals. He was a huge success, and I have no idea how.

The summer improvement is already in full flow. Highly rated youngster Boubacar Kamara is joining on a free to upgrade at the DM, Magnus Kofod is a 23 year old free transfer at CM, and Thiago Almada is joining from Velez in a €4m deal that will eventually hit €11m. Have a good transfer budget though, so might fuck around and bring in Dusan Vlahovic from Fiorentina because why not.

WCW 99: The Fingerpoke of Doom
    Now Playing in BTB Section!

Status

We are now Mainz.

Borussia Monchengladbach felt like a good choice. I started to go through my first-day routine for every new save. And I kept seeing things that reminded me.... this is a big club. A BIG club. I know that, but I kept seeing things that hammered it home over and over. The squad quality, the finances, the facilities, reputation, and so on. This isn't the Bundesliga equivalent of taking over Brighton or Brentford or Watford. This is the equivalent of running Everton, Tottenham, or even Arsenal. The equivalent of Sevilla or Villarreal in Spain. The equivalent of Lazio, Naploli or Roma. The equivalencies don't work across the board, but in terms of general status in their respective leagues and relative quality... they do. As much as I recognized it, I hadn't considered the equivalencies and it made me realize its bigger than the club size I'd like to be working with at this point.

Not to say the squad is loaded with world class players. It has lots of good players. Denis Zakaria is a common signing for everyone playing Newcastle, as he's a versatile defensive mid and set to leave on a free after the first season. Same with Mattias Ginter, a German international who played for Dortmund for awhile. There are a number of youngsters who could become world class. Money to buy more and the reputation to land genuine wonderkids.

So the start of save routine turned into the looking at other clubs routine. Which is better to have happen now rather that when I'm awhile into the save and realize Gladbach are just too big. The same is going to be true of Wolfsburg, Frankfurt, Hertha, and Stuttgart. I already wasn't considering Leverkusen, Dortmund, Leipzig, and Bayern for various reasons. Hoffenehim don't appeal. The smallest clubs - Furth, Union Berlin, Augsburg, Arminia and Bochum - dont' really appeal either and if I wanted to go that small, I might as well pick a provincial club in the 2.Bundesliga. So Koln, Freiburg, Mainz... Kinda came down to Freiburg and Mainz.

Freiburg have always seemed a bit romantic to me because of how a few football pundits talk about the club's setting in the Black Forest. Finances are roughly similar - lots in the bank, 1.5m to spend for Freiburg and 3m for Mainz. Squads are about the same quality and both have a few promising youngsters. Both have meh logos and slick kits. I feel the Mainz squad fits what I would like to do a bit better. And so... I think its Mainz.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

Nice update, Zoom. Vlahovic would be an awesome addition and rip up the league. Much as he rips up Serie A lol. I actually remember signing him on FM before he went to Fiorentina.

The late goals you are conceding is almost certainly because of the tactic. Gegenpress is still very effective but they've changed how players get tired within matches. Tired players are no longer just at a higher risk of getting injured, but will actually perform worse. So basically they get tired and they get sloppy and dumb. The more tired, the more sloppy and more dumberer. So you might need to be more strategic with how you apply the press. Have an alternative tactic that doesn't rely on pressing as much and use that at key times.

I remember Selkie. Veteran mediocre player. Think he used to be at Stuttgart. And yeah, sometimes they just SCORE.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Bookerman

Status
      Country                    Europe

Played the demo over the last week, and now debating whether I'm going to shell out £40 for the full game or be a tight arse and wait for the price to drop (hopefully) after the new year. First time I've played FM since 2017 (didn't enjoy that game at all - felt like no matter what I tried to do, my games were always ridiculously low scoring, even though I managed to win the league - but lost a winnable Europa League final) and that had been the first FM I'd played since 2012, so the evolution of the game was maybe a bit overwhelming at the time.

Have to say though, even though there's much more to take on board nowadays, I found it enjoyable (just played as Man Utd as boring as it may be) and maybe taking a bit more time to take on board the analytics to make adjustments here and there, I could probably find myself getting majorly back into the swing of FM. Just played a fairly basic 4-3-3 focused on wing play and counter attacking, so I probably shouldn't have been surprised that in every game we played we saw less of the ball than the opposition. Started the season really well winning the first 5 games, and after 11 games our only losses came to Chelsea & Liverpool, leaving us second behind Liverpool. By Christmas though, Liverpool were already 9 points clear and looking ridiculously hard to catch. It didn't help that we went on a 7 game run without a win in all competitions (and still managed to stay 2nd in the league) from the end of November through to mid December, so I changed the formation to a 4-2-3-1 to try and get something out of Bruno who hadn't done anything really of note all season to that point.

Champions League group was a bit of a wild ride. Got drawn in with Atletico Madrid, Leipzig & Brugge, and got off to a great start with wins against Atletico & Brugge, both of which beat Leipzig. So naturally, I drew both games with Leipzig to open the group up, yet still sat top after Atletico & Brugge shared wins in their double header. Another draw with Atletico followed while Leipzig & Brugge drew with each other too so going into the final round of games a draw at home to Brugge would be enough to see me finish top of the group. They beat us - during said 7 game winless run - but luckily, Leipzig also beat Atletico, sending us and Brugge through on 9 points each.

I think part of the problem with the eventual bad run - on top of just sticking to the same tactics for 3 months for every game - might've been done to chopping and changing the team after the October international break. Lindelof wanted more game time, and a group of players came to me about it supporting him, so I had to give him a run in the team, and start rotating Varane & Maguire. Rashford also appeared to be concerned about not getting enough games after he had only been fit for 3 of them and I was trying to slowly integrate him back into things!

The only other big issue I ran into was how to deal with Ronaldo. He started off the season strong, but I probably overplayed him, running him into the ground and Mike Phelan suggested I rest him for a few games, so taking his advice, suggested to Ronaldo that he sit out the next game - ONE game - that I was going to rest him in anyway (Carabao Cup) and he disagreed. I brought him on in the second half just, and in some other games I've had no choice but to start him from the bench due to his condition being far from peak while in others, had to bring him off after 60-70 minutes because he appeared to be running on empty and in the whole time I think there was just one game I didn't play him at all.

For interest, I suggested to the board we try and sign Mbappe - due to his contract only having 6 months left - and they went and did it, so that could make things interesting if I do decide to fork out for the full game and continue into January, as he's just about to arrive. The only other transfer I made during the summer was Oliver Skipp, using Jesse Lingard as a makeweight, and he's done okay as the main defensive midfielder, but I probably could've got someone better to fill the role. As a result, Matic hardly got any playing time, and he's been sold to Shaktar for £5m, which was decent enough for a 33 year old.

Something that surprised me was how badly Newcastle had done. They brought in and sacked Lopetegui by November and were rooted to the bottom of the table after bringing in Digne, Tripper, Raul Jimenez among others (that I can't recall at the moment) spending a fuck ton of money. West Ham were down near the bottom too, sacking Moyes and replacing him with Chris Wilder. Brentford meanwhile are flying high, still in sixth at the turn of the year.

I think if I do end up getting the game, I might just finish the season with United and then start up a new save with a Championship club - probably Coventry, as by the far the longest save I'd ever done in a previous game was with them in the 2012 game.

Status

I never hesitate to pay full price for FM since I want it as soon as possible and get way more than the minimum dollar-value out of it. But I do that with other games, so I get it.

United should be a pretty fun save. With the AI running them, Ole tends to stay a long time and do very well. Seen a few people complain that they are OP'd because of the success that e-Ole has with the club. Tottenham tend to struggle and Conte often doesn't make the first season. Newcastle definitely seem to struggle and many FMers aren't having the success that Jon is. A factor for both human and AI users seems to be the volume of squad additions. Squad harmony and cohesion is a big factor in success in FM, and adding too many new players too quickly drains that. Along with tactical familiarity. And that makes success significantly harder. It doesn't help that the AI doesn't tend to squad build real well with Newcastle either.

I never, EVER, tell a player I'm going to rest them. they pretty much never react well, no matter how close to death you've run them. So I just drop them for a match. I will also typically pull them from training for a week as well.

Mbappe seems to be much like Haaland - overpowered and just a flat out fun player to have.

1. FSV Mainz 05

So we are rolling! Sorta. Made it through most of the first day setup, which includes things like importing training schedules, getting a shortlist set up, starting to revamp the club staff, etc. Main thing I have left to do is set up tactics, which I will get on to in a bit.

Mainz have been in the Bundesliga since the 2009-2010 season, and have finished between 5th and 15th. They are generally a lower-half club, however. Expectations aren't that high, so there shouldn't be a ton of pressure. A couple of former FM wonderkids - Spanish leftback Aaron (think he started out at Espanyol) and Dutch playmaker Jean-Paul Boetius (Feyenoord). That's fun!

A Bit of Tactics Talk...

The board require high-tempo attacking football. So I'll be setting up a 4-3-3 gegenpress and that's that.

But no.

As much as a gegenpress would work and make sense, I don't want to. Time to do something different. Now the squad is pretty German-y. The players are generally fairly physical, technical, and smart. Not that the squad has a lot of top class players, but its certainly solid. I don't think the overall quality of the squad really pushes me in specific directions in terms of tactics I should or shouldn't use. The default formation the club uses is some form of 3-4-1-2. They have some defenders who are pretty good ball players and actually make for nice outside center backs, particularly club captain Moussa Niakhate. There are some decent midfielders and a couple good attackers. No truly outstanding playmaker and very little in the way of wide attackers / wingers.

So some form of a narrow formation makes sense. I am tempted to try something like a 3-4-1-2 or similar, partly because I haven't done anything yet with the WCB role. But I'm also hesitant because I pretty much never play 3 / 5 at the back. so it will probably either be a 4-4-2 narrow diamond of a 4-2-2-2 with 2 DMs and 2 AMs.

I'm keen to avoid using something that's heavily reliant on a press. But I might still use a partial press. My default tactic on FM21 was a split block (idea came from Daljit on Bust the Net, inspired by Jose Mourinho). A split block basically means part of the team presses and part doesn't. I used a 4-2-3-1 formation (2 DMs, 1 AMC). Basically the front 4 pressed and the back 6 didn't. the initial version was fairly defensive and then i created a bit more attacking version. It worked well and I can't see why it wouldn't work on FM22. I was using a narrow version of it (4-2-2-2 box) with Mineiro on my beta save where Diego Costa and Hulk were punking on all the state-league teams.

So my idea at this point is to create something from scratch and tweak it. Rather than going with something I know works pretty well, which allows me to get a little too trigger happy with the Instant Result button, I want to have to take more time to analyze. Especially with the volume of data we have in-game now.

I'll probably start with the 4-2-2-2 narrow box. The problems with the formation are pretty obvious - its narrow and you don't have natural attacking width, as well as having that gap between the DMs and AMs. If that becomes too much of an issue, I can move to the 4-4-2 narrow diamond, which still has the width issue but with more linkage between the lines.

GK - sweeper keeper
    WB - while I could be CWB if i really want them to bomb on, WB-S is probably ideal
    DC - standard, although i could go with a BPD
    DM - probably a DLP and a Segundo Volante
    AMC - AP and AMC
    ST - either a PF/AF combo or maybe DLF/AF

Defending - when we lose the ball, the back line and 2 DMs drop back so we immediately have 6 players back and should be hard to break down. The front 4 press. If we win the ball back, we have enough players that the back 6 have dropped back doesn't ruin us. Attacking us thru the middle should be difficult due to the numbers, so want to force opposition outside.

Attacking - nothing too fancy. Short-passing and patient build-up play. Working the ball through the middle, but having the two WBs as wide options. The WBs and SV give us runners in support. One thing I'd like to play with that real managers do is adjusting the tempo up and down at various points through a match. I'm also wary of compressing the space too much in attack, which often happens when playing a side that parks the bus that is hard to break down.

Transition - when we lose the ball, half the team will drop back and the other half will press. When we win the ball, we will look to hang onto it.

All very nice in theory, but we will see if I can get it working as intended!
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

Ah, it feels good to manage somewhere like Germany or The Netherlands. Lots of talent, decent money, no Work Permit or restriction issues to worry about. Feels good, man. I have missed it. I should have just dove in with a club, but I looked at Germany so fucking much and would always get caught up on wanting to find the right with the right dynamics for the right kinda of save. And I gotta stop focusing on trying to make it perfect. I'm better than I used to be, at least.

I hit Continue! Quite a bit actually. Almost made it through the pre-season. Got my staff revamped, scouting is rolling, training up the tactics. All the good stuff.

I made some deals! Mainz start with 3m. Which isn't a ton. I missed out on Yuriel Celi, but landed Mathias Arezo and a Polish AMC, as well as young German attacker from Viktoria Plezen. That took barely half of the 3m. Structured deals FTW. Arezo is a 5 star prospect and the other 2 are 4 stars. The German kid is nowhere near ready for the first team but that's okay.

I did some tweaks! I watched a couple of the friendly matches and wasn't loving what I was seeing from the 4-2-2-2 Narrow Box. Its not that it wasn't working but just needed some work. then we had our intersquad friendly (it was halfway thru the pre-season, weirdly) and we got a 6-3 win over the reserves, I figured I definitely needed to make some tweaks. I'm not sure the split block was functioning how I expected. Makes sense that it would be different with the changes to pressing. But I'm not feeling patient enough to mess with it to get it to work. So I changed the half-press to just a regular full press. Its not at all a gegenpress system, but any form of pressing is taxing so that's something I will watch for. I ended up adjusting the formation to a 4-4-2 narrow diamond. Not a huge number of TIs. Push up a bit. In attack, its shorter passing and higher tempo but nothing too crazy beyond that. First few friendlies with it are looking nicer. I didn't watch the matches, so I could be wrong. But we went from getting 4-1 and 5-1 wins over these small clubs to 10-0 without conceding a shot. Still more tweaking to do as I think the midfield roles still need some work, but this is feeling better.

I explored other save options! I... wait... what? Yup, I did that. Trolling through the league to check for possible cheap buys, I realized I was checking out Freiburg repeatedly. I guess it makes sense, since it came down to picking between Freiburg and Mainz for this save. Very comparable clubs in a lot of ways. I kinda feel like I went with Mainz over Freiburg for the slightly higher starting transfer budget, which is honestly a terrible reason to decide. When I realized what I was doing in looking at Freiburg repeatedly, I said fuck it and took a proper look. Not quite to the point of starting up a different save with them, which I will probably end up doing. But at least a deeper dive. and I figured that since I'm not very far into the Mainz save, its better to switch now that when I've put half a season in.

Reputation - Mainz are a bit ahead of Freiburg but not by much. Very similar, really. Both kinda fall into that category of escalator clubs, but I think Mainz have stayed in the Bundesliga for a bit longer of late. They are fairly small clubs who can push for Europe or fight relegation in any given season. But I like the fact that relegation isn't seen as a death sentence in Germany like it tends to be in England.

Budget - similar. 1.5m starting budget for Freiburg and 3m for Mainz. the latter have a bigger wage budget, too.

Squad - this is where I keep coming back to. Mainz have a slightly better squad, slightly better prospects and are slightly better suited to playing a narrow formation. Mainz have a couple of players who could remain as starters even after the club takes a full step forward and becomes a regular European contender (Aaron and Moussa Niakhate). They have 2 young players that could/should develop into really strong players - Luxembourgian midfielder Leandro Barreiro and German striker Jordan Burkardt (has 6 in 13 in real life). Freiburg aren't real far off, but their good young players are a bit less developed (also younger), even if they have similar top end potential. Its not that their best players are not as good, but moreso that the best players at Freiburg are attackers and not the kind who will dominate match after match. There are also some wingers, but at least they are all versatile players that can play somewhere else - ST, AMC or MC. And in the Mainz save, several are wanted by other clubs and could be sold.

Tactics - equal. As mentioned, the lack of natural attacking wingers in the Mainz squad plus having a pretty good WB on each side makes them slightly more natural suited to something like the 4-4-2 Narrow Diamond. But its not a huge difference and both squads would hopefully evolve relatively quickly, so... a push.

Other Factors - I slightly prefer the Freiburg logo. Kits are basically a push. Its weird but cool weird that Freiburg's main colors are black and white but their home kits are red and black. Freiburg has the newer stadium but both are solid. Facilities are roughly equal as well.

Real Life - this might be why I keep going back to the idea of Freiburg.... I have a bit of a soft spot for them. They are not my favorite German club - that's Dortmund. But on about FM19, I messed around with a Freiburg save that never got very far. But it left me with warm fuzzies towards the club.

No decision yet. But I'll probably start a Freiburg save to poke around more deeply and see if it might be slightly more to my tastes. A bit of insider info leads me to believe that the next proper patch will fix the manager security issues in South American nations, Argentina included. So that makes Rosario Central a possibility but think I'd like to take one of these two German clubs out for a nice little run first.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

Rare weekend FM update incoming!

Freiburg save is rolling and I'm enjoying it so far. Think its just that little bit closer to what I want. In a weird bit of providence, a podcast I listen to on football scouting called Scouted recently did an episode on the club and I happened to listen to it on Friday, after I'd already decided I needed to give them a closer look. It gave me some interesting insight in some of their top young prospects but also the club itself. Some stuff I knew but some I didn't.

A few things that stood out...

-Freiburg are a youth-development focused club but in a different way. I guess you could call in a "small club way". They don't aggressive pursue youth prospects from abroad, at least not regularly. They seem to focus on their catchment area, which is a good chunk of southwestern Germany and even a bit across the border into France. Apparently there a few other professional clubs in that regional of southwest Germany so they don't have a lot of competition for youth players until they butt up into Stuttgart's territory. They aren't developing constant world class players or even German international caliber players constantly, but quite a few Bundesliga players and a few who play in the 2.Bundesliga. And on the grand scale of player development, bringing through players fairly regularly who make it at that level is very successful. Unlike the models used by clubs like Dortmund and Leipzig, its more sustainable. Those clubs predicate their model on taking youth talents from other clubs, which impacts the other clubs in some cases.

-perhaps the most interesting aspect of the Freiburg model that was mentioned on the podcast was that they demand relatively moderate fees for their players when they sell them on. I thought that was weird when it was first mentioned, but realized it makes sense. Rather than doing a Tottenham and being difficult to negotiate with so you wring every farthing out of the buying club, you keep it reasonable because you aren't going to use that money to buy a big time prospect from The Netherlands or Serbia or something. You are either going to rely on the youth academy or find a reasonable priced solid player. For the players and agents, that means more options of clubs they can move on to. More options means you can find a better situation for the player.

-they also have a great deal of stability as a club. Their current manager has been there a decade and has been within the club for something like 30 years. The manager before had 17 years.

-Freiburg II player in the 3.Bundesliga. In FM terms, that's huge because it means players there get active, competitive matches. If the II team is the league below, there are no active fixtures unless you add an editor file and that can be dicey for save stability.

So as cool as their real life talent development model is... I'm 100% not sticking with it. I mean, I want to develop youth academy talent. But I'm not going to restrict myself to that. And being able to bring in young players from anywhere in the world must taken advantage of.

Started out the save in the standard fashion. Check through and get rid of some stuff. Hire better ones. Import the shortlist and do some scouting. Set up training. All that fun.

As mentioned, the tactic is a 4-4-2 narrow diamond with a press. Not that aggressive and not a gegenpress. A couple of my players need to be moved off the wings but thankfully they are reasonably versatile to start with.

The transfer budget is 1.5m to start but there is room for more wages. And so I can't get too creative with stretching out that 1.5m. I had to move some of it over to wages almost immediately. Decided to go after Kacper Kozlowski first. He's a 17 year old Polish midfielder at Pogon. Costs around 2m and they allow you to structure it heavily. Pretty good personality to start. 4/5 star prospect and I've seen him on a few wonderkid videos (probably where I first "found" him TBH). Plays MC or AMC but could easily be retrained as a playmaker DM. If his physials come up - and they should, given his age - he's a monster in the middle. Could be a perfect mezzala.

I figured I could also land the same 17yo attacking mid / winger from Viktoria Koln... and then everything changed.

A number of my 1st team stars are Wanted by other clubs, mostly bigger German clubs but also a few in the Prem. Borussia Mochengladbach come through a 4m offer for central defender Dominique Heintz. He's a solid Bundesliga player but not a star. 27 years old, very good personality, but not really quite strong enough for us to want to build around moving forward. And he's out of contract in the summer, and I was already debating letter him walk. Negotiated them up to 5.5m and took it. Suddenly I have over 6m to spend. Even better, I don't HAVE to splash it on another CB as Freiburg run a back 3 so they have depth there, and we have some prospects.

My immediate desire was to snatch Andrea Papetti from Brescia as he's within our price range... but my scout thinks his wage demands will be too high. Like WAY too high. So now I'm scouting all the interesting under-25 CBs at smaller clubs on that massive shortlist I have. But I will also look at reinforcing some other positions. Not first team first choice options, really, but developmental ones.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

Well shit... Things change quickly.

Played quite a bit today on a lazy Sunday but didn't actually make much progress, in terms of in-game time. The issue is deals - or potential deals - going down. And the team could end up looking MUCH different.

After selling Heintz, I scrambled to scout a bunch of central defenders. A BUNCH. As I said, I didn't NEED to buy someone who could play immediately. But the really promising players were either out of our price range, not interested, or would take too high of a wage. We ended up paying something like 3.5m structured for Bosnian defender Anel Ahmedhodzic from Malmo. 22 years old, very well rounded and a Perfectionist personality.

Now right from the start, the club's star attacking trio were all Wanted by clubs. I was okay with the idea of selling one of them. Now I'm facing down the possibility of selling two or all three.

The players are Jeong Woo-yeong (22yo South Korean), Vincenzo Grifo (28 yo Italian) and Roland Sallai (24yo Hungarian). All three are "attackers" in that they don't fit any specific archetype. They are all natural on the LW but not true wingers or inside forwards. Thankfully all three quite versatile and can play AMC, AMR, and have at least a bit of familiarity at MC and ST. My tentative plan was to use Grifo as the AMC, Sallai up top as as the AF, and retrain Woo-yeong to play MC as a Mezzala.

We'll start with Grifo. He's probably most naturally a wide playmaker. Fairly technical player with good passing, Crossing, Dribbling, and Touch. His mentals are a bit all over, with his Vision and Flair being high, Work Rate and Teamwork being decent, but lower Bravery. His Physicals aren't great. So he's not going to be ideal as an AMC in a pressing side but good enough to do okay. His Corners (17) and Free Kicks (16) are strong enough to make him a weapon based on those alone. Grifo is probably our best player and is our best paid.

Sallai is similar but probably a step down. Doesn't really have standout skills in anything but key attacking skills are decent enough. Seems to do okay as an AF, at least in friendlies.

And then Woo-yeong... His tehcnicals are a are a step down but he works hard and has good aggression. He's younger and coaches think he can still improve a bit, unlike the other two.

So given that none are ideal fits, I figured getting bids for one of them would solve some problems.

And a bid came in for Grifo. 5m from Wolves. He wasn't interested but said he would listen to the offer. Negotiated them up to 9.5m. I start panic scouting AMCs. My ideal signing would be Yuriel Celi, who is a very good 20 year old with world class potential and great set pieces. Would drop into the AMC spot and probably do as well or better than Grifo. He can be bought for like 600K. But even better, his contract is up in 6 months. I had tried to make an offer right at the start of the save, but couldn't offer a ton of wages and the agent walked away when I took the guarantee of a loan off the table. So I tried again. Able to offer a higher wage, I increased the offer squad role. Agent still required the inclusion of a loan, and then ended negations when I removed it. What the fuck? Annoyed at that. So now I can't make another offer for a bit. In other saves, I've missed out on him to big clubs in Italy, including Juventus. No one else was going after him so I hoped... but alas, he won't join yet.

I had also made an offer for Mattias Arezo. Lame to go after standard wonderkid buys... but he would be useful and in our price range. He went to Bayer Leverkusen.

So as I'm trying to find AMCs I can sign who won't just be pure developmental players, I get an RB Leipzig offer for Sallai. I negotiate and don't like when they lock it at 9m, so I say no. The player kicks off as promised and I make the mistake of saying they didn't offer enough. He requires me to say how much, so I saw 12m and I'll let him go. He's happy but suddenly there are like 5 German clubs interested. So I'm expecting him to go too.

Its kinda weird to be conflicted on these. They aren't huge money deals but we aren't a rich club so 10m or so apiece and freeing up some wage space is a positive in many ways. I mean, buying new players and developing them is one of the most fun aspects of FM. We all love building a new squad. The issue is that these are 3 of the best players at the club, even if they aren't ideal. Due to club reputation, money, and wages available, I can't replace them with players of the same level. So I will end up buying lesser players with better potential. That helps the club long-term but hurts in the short-term.

This isn't a save-killing problem. Quite the opposite - it makes things more interesting. But I am trying to be selective on who I buy. I want to upgrade to players who are a better fit. I often make the mistake of targeting potential over fit, and that's kinda dumb in a situation like this.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

Totally overthinking these. In a fun way.

I did a bit more digging before bed last night. In a lot of FM saves, I have a tendency to turn a transfer windfall into a glut of 3-5 star prospects. And if you first team is solid, that's great. But when you have first team needs, its less ideal and as I've mentioned, actually hurt you in the short-term. I'm trying to be strategic and careful in my signings. Don't wanna waste money or development on a player that doesn't really fit the tactical intent. Sure, if they come in cheap, I could develop them for player trading purposes.... but we need quality and depth in the meantime, so that needs to be the focus. Like I said, signing players who can't help us in the short term could be problematic because we are selling some of our best players here. Grifo was our best paid and best rated player. Sallai is probably 2nd in both regards, if he happens to go.

I'm not trying to find the "perfect" players. FM isn't really limiting like that. But moreso just make good decisions. Again, not just blow the money to a 4 star 18 year old who can't help the first team for a year.

The big limitation is reputation, it seems. There are loads of interesting prospects in Germany and across eastern Europe that are within our price range but my scouts think they are not at all interested. I think I might need to try the agent function to verify that on a few of them. many others are potentially interested but out of our price range or wage range. But I'm also trying to be picky. Buying a 4 star prospect because 2-3 scouts say they are that is dumb. Buying that player because the scouts say that plus they fit what I want to do tactically... smart!

Lots of bargain buys have deficiencies. Its a rude way to put it, but true. I mean, these aren't exactly top drawer wonderkids who will end up at the biggest of clubs. It often happens because they are outside the big leagues (hence the value in buying them) so they aren't completely filled out in the database, so the game randomizes some of their attributes. So you can end up with a really solid 18 year old with good potential and nice skills... except their Bravery or Natural Fitness is 1. Or something similar low. Now that deficiency can sometimes be irrelevant and sometimes it can be something that will improve. But that's one of the things I'm being careful to watch out for. Same goes for Personality - yes, a personality can change through mentoring but it takes time and isn't certain, and if its a pretty poor personality, that will negatively impact their development.

I did spend a small amount (350K) on a Syrian CB who will come in the winter window. There are a few more buys like that I've eyed, whether from Syria, Ghana, or a few secondary nations in South America. I don't want to load up too heavily on these prospects as they aren't first team ready (Celi is a bit unique in this way) and the club has 5-6 4-star academy prospects in the II and youth squad, who need time and matches to develop.

The other issue is that in terms of targeting players who can actually be first choice or regular starting options in the Bundesliga, its hard to know where the greatest need is. If I don't get offers for Sallai or Woo-yeong, then things are probably okay.

Striker - two spots and 5 players. That drops to 4 if Sallai leaves or if he does better at AMC than ST. There is at least academy player who could cover there. If I do add someone, it will probably be another prospect than a first choice player.

AMC - possibly 3 players for the spot... possibly none. Grifo was going to be 1st choice. Now I'm not sure between Sallai and Woo-yeong, but Kozlowski can play there as well. Still hopeful I can make a deal for Celi to work. There is a Russian at Dinamo Moscow who would do well, but they want over 10m. Thiago Almada would be perfect but he's not interested.

MC - I could end up with Woo-yeong as my Mezzala / Carrilero and Kozlowski backing him up... or Kozlowski as first choice AMC and no one for this spot. Thankfully finding solid well rounded CMs into that hard but finding one who is affordable and will enjoy hiding out in the Black Forest of Germany... tougher lol

DM - Eggestein is a pretty solid here. Not sure I have an ideal backup.

I could also use additional quality depth at the FB spots.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information