Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 27353637

Thread: The Cowards Premier League 2021/22 Discussion Thread

People's Champion

Status
      Country                    Wales

Re: The Cowards Premier League 2021/22 Discussion Thread

With you on the pitch invasions, it's not part of the modern game now and it is just causing major issues, so the clubs and authorities need to put a stop to it quickly.

Quite interesting to see Burnely and Leeds questioning how Everton can post a loss of £370m+ in a 3 year period and not be in breach of FFP. THey've claimed COVID naturally but that is still a hell of a loss.
    I have a plan so cunning......

#ShadeWinsLOL

Status

almost 30 minutes into the match, Arsenal are winning 1-0 and have close to 90% possession. Its showing 86% currently. Goal came from a handball by Iwobi, which VAR took like 9 minutes to verify. To be fair, Everton are running a 2nd string side and Dele Ali is on the pitch, so.... yeah...

Won't matter as Tottenham are winning against Norwich…. shocker of shockers...
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

[be more kind]

Status
      Country                    England

What an incredible final day this is turning out to be!

Sent from my Nokia 2.3 using Tapatalk

Status

Now just imagine if the ref had actually decided to enforce the rules and penalized Fernandinho for a clear pullback on Watkins in the first half.

Might have been just as blatant of an ignored foul in the Liverpool, to be fair. But man, do City players get away with a lot of tactical fouls that other sides don't.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Sun Tuh-Zoo

Status
      Country                    UK

Overstayed their welcome in the big league by a good 5 years if not more, and I love that it finally happened after they got rid of their one redeeming quality in Dyche. Serves them right for not sticking with him.

No more dropping points to them in easily winnable games as we’ve done many times down the years and glad it was us that sealed their fate.

Wordle Playing Admin

Status

That was more dramatic a title race than I thought it would be, I just assumed it would be routine home wins for both teams. Nerves got to city a little, but a wins a win. Hope Pool recover to win the CL.

I’m not gonna join in with the Burnley deserve it because they sacked Dyche chat, because Leeds sacked Bielsa who was just as key to their recent success as Dyche was, so both chairman panicked. HOWEVER, this thread is called the cowards premier league thread because of all the postponed games during winter, and Burnley were chief among them getting games called off they probably could have played, so I don’t mind them going down.

Chuffed for Son to get (share) the golden boot.
    ​​​​​ ​​​
    Ed's Favourite Threads
    Ed Reviews Everything l Ed's Kings Road Journey

Ed's Top Matches of the Year Lists
    2016 l 2017 l 2018 l 2019 l 2020 l 2021

Status

I mean, I guess congrats to Manchester City for overcoming the massive challenge of all the Prem fans wanting someone fucking else to win the title, facing down the handicap of having the most expensively assembled squad in the world and the highest paid squad in the league. A true credit to the "underdog little guy". Its incredible how Pep does it with so few resources.

Its probably going to get overlooked for the most part because of the last-minute nature of the comeback win today and Arsenal managing to Arsenal 4th place, but let's not forget that City came within a single fucking goal of throwing away a pretty significant lead on the table. They had at least a ten point lead over Liverpool at one point, and I think it might have even more than that.

Hard to imagine a more exciting finish than that, but just sucks that it had the seemingly inevitable outcome. Feel like shit for Liverpool supporters... gonna have to settle for just a European treble this season. So sad.

Kinda meh on Burnley going down. It was Everton or bust on my bingo card of spiteful joy. No real love for Leeds, but most of my ire towards Burnley ebbed away when they fired Dyche.

City supporters really showing their class by Robin Olsen getting assaulted after the match. The fuck is wrong with people?
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Locker Room Cliquester

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Liverpool fans cheering the fake news of a Villa goal was the biggest laugh of the day. So funny seeing them going gaga over a non existent goal
    Britt Baker's Limousine Driver

The EST of WC

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

The Cowards Premier League 2021/22 Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    I mean, I guess congrats to Manchester City for overcoming the massive challenge of all the Prem fans wanting someone fucking else to win the title, facing down the handicap of having the most expensively assembled squad in the world and the highest paid squad in the league. A true credit to the "underdog little guy". Its incredible how Pep does it with so few resources.

Its probably going to get overlooked for the most part because of the last-minute nature of the comeback win today and Arsenal managing to Arsenal 4th place, but let's not forget that City came within a single fucking goal of throwing away a pretty significant lead on the table. They had at least a ten point lead over Liverpool at one point, and I think it might have even more than that.
    It was a 14 point deficit at one point, albeit we had 2 games at hand at the time, still a pretty deep hole to fill against Man City of all teams. Honestly, I would have preferred City To just go out and smash Villa 5-0. It’s like Pep planned the whole damn thing to make things interesting.

I had virtually no hope of winning the title, but when Villa went 2-0 up, I actually got my hopes up for a short week period. Theres a small irony in Stevie costing Pool the league once again. A 5 min turnaround is ridiculously bad though, even against Manchester City. Entire team just went to sleep.

Also, I’m getting realllll tired of losing out on the title in this fashion. One point between us in the last 5 years with only one title to show for it is painful. The standard City has set in the last few years is just ridiculous. 90+ points is basically the margin you have to reach to even have a chance to win the league now. Adding haaland to their Ranks will only make things worse. Can’t wait for Pep to disappear to his next super club.

Oh and while I’m sure there’s a ton of VAR decisions we can look at over the season, that blatant Rodri handball in the game against Everton which was not given could have ended up deciding the title….

In other news, Arsenal really did Arsenal up 4th place. Good on spurs though, Conte has done a great job since taking them over. 5th place is still a pretty good place for Arsenal to finish given all their issues. They’ll need to strengthen in the summer for sure, but Arteta has done a pretty solid job with a fairly average team.

Man U ending with a 0 GD but still getting Europe is very lol. West Ham really bottled things yesterday. Was looking forward to seeing Ronaldo mixing it up in the UECL.

As for the relegation battle, happy enough to see Burnley finally go away. Would have preferred it to be Everton, but once that was never gonna happen, Burnley was the next best choice.

Well….onto the champions league final I guess.I
    Last edited by CGS; 05-23-2022 at 02:56 AM.

Wordle Playing Admin

Status

Quote Originally Posted by CGS View Post
    Also, I’m getting realllll tired of losing out on the title in this fashion. One point between us in the last 5 years with only one title to show for it is painful. The standard City has set in the last few years is just ridiculous. 90+ points is basically the margin you have to reach to even have a chance to win the league now.
    This is why for me title or not I still consider this Liverpool side one of the best we've ever seen in the Premier League (naturally I think the same of City too). The standards the two sides have set are ridiculously high and it's harder than ever to win the title. Only once in their 13 PL titles did Man Utd ever reach 92 points, and Liverpool are now being runners up with that total; 2 seasons ago they got 97 points and still didn't win it! They're also in their 3rd Champion's League Final in 5 years which is a European standard Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea couldn't reach during their heights.

As much as this stings for Liverpool fans, if they win the CL next weekend, every City fan would switch places with them in a heartbeat.

But yes, Haaland is going to make next season even harder to topple City. They're probably also not going to run into a horrendous run of injuries in defence like they had during the last month this year. Oh well, at least you have Diaz for a whole year!

---

Looking at the table in general, it's depressing that after all the memes and jokes about how shite Man Utd have been and how Arsenal both started and ended the year badly, that the top six is still indeed the top six. West Ham did a Leicester towards the end and just ran out of steam; them finishing in the conference league doesn't feel enough for their efforts this year, and this two years might have been them peaking as a club, especially if Rice ends up moving on.

The three lowest quality teams in the division being relegated is going to make life even tougher for Fulham, B'mouth and Forest/Huddersfield. I don't expect Everton to be that bad again next season, so there's not many contenders I see there that would be more likely to go down than the promoted sides. Maybe Brentford suffer 2nd season syndrome, maybe Saints lose JWP, who knows.

If I was a Wolves fan I'd be quite concerned with their drop off in form. At the end of January they were right in the top 4 race, and then they lost to Norwich in the FA Cup 4th round and then only won 4 of the remaining 16 PL games, losing the majority. They slipped to 10th in the table in the end with Leicester and Brighton overtaking them. Moutinho is out of contract and will be 36 in September, and the rumours are Neves will be leaving in the summer, and then I look at the teams in the bottom half of the table and think well Newcastle and Villa will outspend Wolves in the summer. I think they'll be back down in the bottom half of the table next season.
    Last edited by Ed; 05-23-2022 at 03:46 AM.
    ​​​​​ ​​​
    Ed's Favourite Threads
    Ed Reviews Everything l Ed's Kings Road Journey

Ed's Top Matches of the Year Lists
    2016 l 2017 l 2018 l 2019 l 2020 l 2021

Comeback King

Status

Watched it all live yesterday but now reliving it watching MOTD before the late shift and we really are going to pinch ourselves living in an era with these two teams and managers in the Premier League. The bar is so high and I'm just in awe to be honest. Chelsea, United, Arsenal and Spurs are all good squads but these two are just at another level. Can only see them both getting better next year with the signings they'll make.

As for the relegation battle. Good riddance Burnley.
    WWE: The New Vision| Former BTB Overlord | Order's Interviews

BTB Achievements
    Current BTB - WWE: The New Vision

Spoiler:

+
    FIVE BTBOTM AWARDS

Status

Gotta hand it to Jack Grealish - not sure I've seen a clear backup player enjoy a title win quite as much as he clearly is. Really looking forward to a summer of City spending 300m on 3-4 more backup player as Pep crows about how they "aren't setting spending records".

It definitely feels like the rest of the big six are just going to be fighting it out for 3rd place. Obviously things can change awful quickly in football, but its hard to imagine City and Liverpool letting their standards drop until their respective managers leave / retire. And even if someone else gets themselves to the point of performance for what would be "title caliber" form in the past, that's not going to be enough against these two.

I'm less bothered by Arsenal missing out on 4th place than I expected. It would have been nice. And its definitely frustrating the way it played out. I guess maybe it helps to recognize that all things considered, we just lose too many matches (weird way to put it) and some of those were avoidable losses. The opener to Brentford, losing to United and Everton mid-season (when both were at their worst), the three in April, and Newcastle the other day. All of those were poor performances. Like notably poor. Pick ANY points in those and the situation changes. And as Arteta pointed out, our points total would have been enough for 4th in the past two seasons. Its clear we are building for the future, and as frustrating as it was for us gooners to have no additions in January, the upside is that we've given ourselves more flexibility this summer. Getting into the Champions League for next season wasn't expected so we weren't planning or budgeting around that. Its reportedly not impacting our targets for the summer, either. And as I keep mentioning, there is a connection and positivity among the fanbase that has been lacking for years. Even going back into the last few years under Wenger, that didn't really seem to be there in the same way as there was that definite sense of decline, which is why there was so much "Wenger Out". We have hope again. Despite the lack of consistency and those flat out poor performances, we are young and we should get better. We've gotten rid of the entitled players who weren't willing to work hard. We need to keep adding strong personalities and hungry players.

Speaking of entitled players who won't work hard... the stories coming out about the United season are exactly what you would expect, in all of the negative ways. Obviously impossible to know what's true and what isn't, but the locker room rifts, lack of respect for the interim manager, infighting over playing time, perceived lack of accountability for performance levels... One article said that Ronaldo personally prevented the club from going for Antonio Conte, although the timing of that seems iffy. United might want to avoid looking at this... but I'm not sure changing out the manager is going to change thing. If the squad dictates what kind of playing style they will accept, turns on the previous manager almost immediately because the training is too hard, and recruitment doesn't fundamentally change, there is just going to be a continual repeat. As I've mentioned before, many of these problems are similar to what haunted Arsenal in the latter Wenger years and it took some tough decisions to put us back on what looks like a forward path.

Quick word about Tottenham. So its obvious what kind of job that Conte has done so far, so it shouldn't be a surprise that they are looking to let him spend the kind of money he demands. And i find it interesting because he quite literally demands it. He brought up that Tottenham need to spend after win on the weekend. They seem to be looking to make a long-term project with a short-term manager. The comparison doesn't hold up in every way, but there is a reason that Conte often gets compared to Mourinho, and I don't mean tactically. He is a money manager who demands (quite literally) heavy spending. He doesn't like to play younger players. However, whereas Mourinho wears out his welcome and burns everything to the ground, Conte seems more willing to just walk away from a club if he isn't getting what he wants. He's already threated that (after the Burnley loss) and the demands for spending all carry that threat behind them. So they are going to have to move away from how they tend to operate to keep him happy. I might kinda be hoping it all blows up in their faces... maybe...

Really hope Forrest come up.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 27353637

Thread Information