TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

NJPW NJPW Dominion 06.07 In Osaka-Jo Hall

ezgif-2-df96d00b9a57.jpgezgif-2-894ac9167a22.jpg

Match Card
    IWGP Junior Heavyweight Title Match: El Desperado (c) vs YOH

Kota Ibushi vs Jeff Cobb

IWGP World Heavyweight Title Match (Vacated): Kazuchika Okada vs Shingo Takagi

More To Come Soon

Last edited by MC 16; 05-29-2021 at 05:12 AM. Reason: Date Change

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Re: NJPW Dominion 06.06 In Osaka-Jo Hall

It looks like they aren't going to be doing the Dome show anytime soon, unlike what their website says, as this is happening on the 7th

It's not a bad set of matches for a makeshift show. Okada vs Shingo is guaranteed to be good in a company that doesn't really have that guarantee anymore. I think they'll go with the safe, comfortable choice in Okada over Shingo who would a bit of a fantasy. You can't go wrong with either option.
    Last edited by MC 16; 05-29-2021 at 05:11 AM.

Jobber

Status
      Country                    Canada

Re: NJPW Dominion 06.07 In Osaka-Jo Hall

I'm not a huge fan of Shingo being in this match as I've said previously when it was brought up, but it's mainly because I wanted to see him continue the wars he's been having. I'm not sure his style fits the kind of style that Okada is going to be going here. With that being said though, I wouldn't mind him somehow going over Okada. I doubt he will because as MC said, I feel like they'll go with the safe choice in this match.

YOH and Despy should be fun. It's weird because I know most people were super high on SHO but I've always been a bigger fan of YOH since he was a young lion. Both were always super fun to watch but I just always preferred YOH's more flamboyant style and showmanship over the hard nosed SHO.

I've got 5 days to get caught up on like 7 shows. This is going to be a long crawl.

Urgent exit required.

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

NJPWWorld has two interviews up - one with Okada, one with Shingo with regards to the main event as well as a few other things. Worth checking out as subs are provided.

Shingo: https://njpwworld.com/p/o_original_0248_05en

Okada: https://njpwworld.com/p/o_original_0248_04en

Haven't seen the Shingo piece yet but thought Okada spoke well though the snideness at times cut through. I've a feeling the Shingo piece will be just as good. Not sure who I'm behind for this matchup. They've also uploaded the match and opening VTR cinematics for the show too for free if anyone's interested.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Vodka Drinking Admin

Status

Doesn’t matter who you’re behind, an Okada win is inevitable
    ​​​​​ ​​​
    Ed's Favourite Threads
    Ed Reviews Everything l Ed's Kings Road Journey

Ed's Top Matches of the Year Lists

Jobber

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Doesn’t matter who you’re behind, an Okada win is inevitable
    As it should be...

Urgent exit required.

Status

An Okada win is likely yes but I still watch and enjoy the story being told and buy into it. Shingo did a good job talking himself up and giving himself a chance in my mind. I wouldn't bother watching or trying to watch if the only thing I cared about was the outcome.

I like both guys and Id like to see Shingo win more so I am all aboard the story here. An Okada win is not straightforward and neither guy interviewed as such.

I missed the start of the show earlier so I'm going to watch it in a bit - I know it's going on rn.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

WAKE UP

Status

The moment I saw Ed's post, I knew he jinxed it.
    Talk about the best matches of the year here:

WWE | AEW | New Japan | Other

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

It was a shocking result. Maybe not too shocking if you look at their history regarding vacated titles (Lance Archer winning the US title after replacing Jon Moxley during the Typhoon King Of Pro Wrestling show), but I certainly was stunned when the ref counted three. It's a nice shock to the stale environment. Shingo proved in Dragon Gate that he can have a great title reign and can carry the title scene although it's a different situation and a totally different promotion. I suspect that Okada wins the title in the Tokyo Dome on Jan 4th.

Jobber

Status

I didn't realize the show happened this morning and just spoiled the result for myself Shit!

Urgent exit required.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    The moment I saw Ed's post, I knew he jinxed it.
    Gedo reads WC confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by MC 16 View Post
    It was a shocking result. Maybe not too shocking if you look at their history regarding vacated titles (Lance Archer winning the US title after replacing Jon Moxley during the Typhoon King Of Pro Wrestling show), but I certainly was stunned when the ref counted three. It's a nice shock to the stale environment. Shingo proved in Dragon Gate that he can have a great title reign and can carry the title scene although it's a different situation and a totally different promotion. I suspect that Okada wins the title in the Tokyo Dome on Jan 4th.
    They're taking the right step I think and Shingo being the champion takes advantage of the potential he has to be a star which they need right now as the pillars etc are known quantities. Hopefully this isn't just a transition back to Ibushi. Okada winning at the Dome on Jan 4th is fine by me - good for his story as I don't think he's ever won as the challenger at the Dome.

Really good show overall I thought. Nothing really stood out as bad. Okada vs Shingo obviously MOTN.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Vodka Drinking Admin

Status

Just to be sure of my new powers..........it is inevitable that Croatia will beat England on Sunday.

Even though I gave Shingo a 0% shot at winning the title, I had a day off work and decided that the only way I'd enjoy the match was to watch it unspoiled. Very glad I made that decision because I've not been that stunned by a finish in years and it does help elevate the match a bit. Thought it was very paint by numbers Okada main event complete with lousy submissions, until the last 5 or so minutes with Shingo surviving a few short arm rainmakers and then going on a tear himself. NJPW match structure had me conditioned to think there was probably another 5 minutes coming so that was a refreshing finish. If Okada blows it off and wins with a rainmaker I end up having a different opinion on the match, but this was pretty good.

Ultimately though it's the best decision they could make. When Will vacated the title I said they should belt up Shingo, but I had no faith that's what they'd actually do.
    ​​​​​ ​​​
    Ed's Favourite Threads
    Ed Reviews Everything l Ed's Kings Road Journey

Ed's Top Matches of the Year Lists

Thread Information