Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: WWE Talent Releases April 2021

[be more kind]

Status
      Country                    England

Re: WWE Talent Releases April 2021

The brand split has really exaggerated the issue, because they always seem trigger happy to split up a team for two during the annual draft just for shits and giggles.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Main Eventer

Status

The weird thing to me is....if you look back in the 80s, Vince put tag team wrestling as the main events on those MSG, Spectrum, Boston Garden, Maple Leaf Garden shows most of the time So somewhere in there, i think Vince likes tag team wrestling. Its baffling how much he loves breaking them up
    I am the Foundation

https://twitter.com/TheJonGresham

Fight The Power

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Beast View Post
    While she never developed in ring, I thought Billie was great to have around as a personality. Hers and Joe’s releases are the big surprises for me, considering they were regularly on TV (albeit on commentary for Joe for the last while). Joe surely has to be on the AEW radar.

I don't want Joe in AEW. New Japan is a better fit

Admin in Lockdown

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggy View Post
    I don't want Joe in AEW. New Japan is a better fit
    Interesting. What makes you say that, because 42 year old Joe doesn't strike me as someone that suits wrestling 20-30 minute forced epics, or doing dollar store heel shit in Bullet Club.

AEW love talkers - Christian, Kingston, Moxley, Cody, Sting, MJF, Jericho, Ricky Starks, Taz, Don Callis etc. Joe in the last 5 years or so turned into a fantastic promo, I think he'd be the better fit there, certainly if there's question marks about the shape he's in.
    ​​​
    ​​​ ​​​​​​

Ed's Favourite Threads

Ed Reviews Everything l Ed's Kings Road Journey

Ed's Top Matches of the Year Lists

Main Eventer

Status

You re both wrong

Joe needs to come home. He needs to join the Foundation
    I am the Foundation

WAKE UP

Status

It must have changed since, but back in the day there used to be an attitude in Japan that the big companies wouldn't touch any foreigners who had worked for smaller companies/indys as they didn't want to seen as stealing their, talent even if they hadn't worked for them ages. That's reportedly why it took NOAH so long to bring in Joe for the Misawa match despite them having a working relationship with ROH for years (Joe used to tour Zero-One previously but hadn't been there since 2003). I doubt that mindset still exists now, mind.
    Talk about the best matches of the year here:

WWE | AEW | New Japan | Other

[be more kind]

Status

If he still wants to wrestle, but keep commentating (or managing?) as an option, AEW is easily the better fit. That said, short runs in Impact, ROH, and NWA aren't out of the question to me.

Impact got the majority of last years releases and I can see the same happening this year. Peyton may want to go to AEW because of Spears, but there's far more opportunities for her, Billie, Chelsea and Mickie in Impact these days. Just depends if they want the bigger pay day more.

Main Eventer

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Postman Dave View Post
    If he still wants to wrestle, but keep commentating (or managing?) as an option, AEW is easily the better fit. That said, short runs in Impact, ROH, and NWA aren't out of the question to me.

Impact got the majority of last years releases and I can see the same happening this year. Peyton may want to go to AEW because of Spears, but there's far more opportunities for her, Billie, Chelsea and Mickie in Impact these days. Just depends if they want the bigger pay day more.

i think most of the girls will end up in ROHs womans tournament in the summer
    I am the Foundation

Fight The Power

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Interesting. What makes you say that, because 42 year old Joe doesn't strike me as someone that suits wrestling 20-30 minute forced epics, or doing dollar store heel shit in Bullet Club.

AEW love talkers - Christian, Kingston, Moxley, Cody, Sting, MJF, Jericho, Ricky Starks, Taz, Don Callis etc. Joe in the last 5 years or so turned into a fantastic promo, I think he'd be the better fit there, certainly if there's question marks about the shape he's in.
    I want to see Joe vs Tomohiro Ishii badly, and he's older than Joe, I still want it.

Fight The Power

Status

Quote Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
    You re both wrong

Joe needs to come home. He needs to join the Foundation
    Nobody wants that

Fight The Power

Status

I think AEW is proving that their roster is growing out of control and they don't know what to do with it. I look at someone like Miro and when he was signed to AEW I was hopeful they would utilize him as the star that he is but the stuff he's been doing as of late is barely a step up from the Ziggler/Lana love triangle. Best case Joe is slotted into a program with Omega but they aren't taking the belt off of Omega for quite some time i'd imagine, so he would just be slotted into his jobber-to-the-stars role he had in WWE before being pushed down the card.

Urgent exit required.

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Joe suits either NJPW or AEW. He has a higher ceiling in AEW because he wouldn't get pushed as anything more than like a 2nd man in Ospreay's faction IMO. A role that'd suit him fine at 42. Think he would be good for some big show title defences maybe here and there early on too. Probably a decent attraction match here and there as well as the G1 participation. If he was younger then he probably has a shot at being a solid top guy there.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Main Eventer

Status

Nobody wants that
    I want that.
    I am the Foundation

Intercontinental Champion

Status
      Country                    Canada

I think AEW is proving that their roster is growing out of control and they don't know what to do with it. I look at someone like Miro and when he was signed to AEW I was hopeful they would utilize him as the star that he is but the stuff he's been doing as of late is barely a step up from the Ziggler/Lana love triangle. Best case Joe is slotted into a program with Omega but they aren't taking the belt off of Omega for quite some time i'd imagine, so he would just be slotted into his jobber-to-the-stars role he had in WWE before being pushed down the card.
    That's not AEW's fault. Miro wanted to come in and start from the bottom himself.

Retired

Status
      Country                    Greece

I'm going to sound really crazy but I'd rather if Joe goes wherever he wants, not wherever we want him to go
    The RED Report!
    (A New Episode every once in a blue moon!)

Greek Beauties - May Entry

Spoiler:

Fay Skorda

Intercontinental Champion

Status
      Country                    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by RED View Post
    I'm going to sound really crazy but I'd rather if Joe goes wherever he wants, not wherever we want him to go
    This is what he's going to do anyways lmao, he could give a fuck less about what we want, we're just speculating and hoping because it's fun.

AEW seems like the perfect place for Joe honestly. Commentary opportunities, good schedule, and he'd have the freedom to wrestle anywhere else if he wanted to. I don't remember the last time I saw Mickie wrestle but she'd also be such a good get if she can still go, wins over her can help further establish someone like a Britt Baker.

ABSOLUTE

Status
      Country                    United States

I don't think AEW are proving that at all. At least for me, it's great that I don't see the same people constantly on Dynamite week in and week out. They can shuffle people around, have them work on Dark for weeks and maybe even months, develop their characters, have some lowkey interesting feuds, and then return to the main fold when the opportunity arises, rather than being forced in wherever they fit because their face must be on TV weekly for them to remain relevant. And they've proven this method isn't detrimental either in my belief. For example, you have Jurassic Express largely in obscurity for months after they challenged The Bucks at All Out, and then they resurface for that nifty little feud with FTR and it got over no problem. You've also got extended periods of Butcher and The Blade being fixtures of Dark, but then they have that great Bunkhouse Match against Dustin and QT one week on Dynamite, and main event the show the next week against PAC and Fenix and frankly I didn't see anyone questioning it. I feel the sentiment that AEW's roster is out of control is completely blown out of proportion.

Miro sucked when he came in but he was an outlier and he mostly sucked because his gimmick sucked and he opted to get into a storyline with one of the least interesting acts on the entire roster, when I'm sure he could have angled for something more significant and befitting of his talents.

How is Joe coming in an jobbing to Omega a best case scenario? Where are you getting that from? Why couldn't he come in and feud with Darby for the TNT Title? Or feud with Eddie Kingston after Mox is written off? Or maybe he aligns with Team Taz, perhaps becomes the new leader when/if Cage splits. Maybe he can even take on Miro, or Hangman, or Archer, or any other number of interesting opponents there are out there for him. I just don't buy any of your reasoning for why Joe wouldn't do well in AEW, you clearly just would prefer he go to NJPW, which is fine if that's the case.

Quote Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
    The weird thing to me is....if you look back in the 80s, Vince put tag team wrestling as the main events on those MSG, Spectrum, Boston Garden, Maple Leaf Garden shows most of the time So somewhere in there, i think Vince likes tag team wrestling. Its baffling how much he loves breaking them up
    This isn't true though. Tag team wrestling, at least with actual teams and not something like a Hulk tag, very rarely ever main evented a televised house show.

Main Eventer

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    This isn't true though. Tag team wrestling, at least with actual teams and not something like a Hulk tag, very rarely ever main evented a televised house show.
    Heres some tag team action on tv house shows that i have seen. all main events according to historyofwwf

La Sports arena...Rockers vs Brain busters jan 1989
    7/25/87 MSG Hart Foundation vs British Bulldogs
    North South connection vs Briscos nov msg 1984( main event on tv, though the source shows two matches afterwards)
    Dream Team vs Bulldogs philly jan 1986
    Dream Team vs Bulldogs MSG Jan 1986
    Hart Foundatiin vs Tony Garea and Brian Blair philly march 1986
    Dream Team vs Bulldogs msg May 1986
    Hart Foundation vs Killer Bees - Philly may 1986
    British Bulldogs vs Dream Team toronto 1986
    British Bulldogs vs Nikokai and Sheik philly august 1986
    British Bulldogs vs Dory and Jimmy Jack Funk august msg 1986
    Hart Foundation vs Spivey and Rotundo philly sept 1986
    Tag Team Battle Royal msg oct 1986
    Dream Team vs Islanders MSG nov 1986
    Bulldogs( sub by JYD ) vs Harts - philly 1987 jan
    Bulldogs( sub by billy jack haynes) vs Harts jan 1987 msg
    Bees vs Harts MLG feb 1987
    Rougeaus vs Dino Bravo and Johnny V boston august 1987
    Demolition vs JYD and George Steele msg august 1987
    Tito Santana and Mil Mascaras vs Demolition Houston texas August 1987
    Strike Force vs Islanders boston oct 1987
    demolition vs Bees - Houston Texas oct 1987
    Strike Force vs islanders philly oct 1987
    Strike Force vs Islanders oct 1987 msg
    Rougeaus vs Dino Bravo and Greg Valentine Paris oct. 1987( on paris tv)
    islanders vs Strike force boston nov 1987

i didn't feel like checkin 84, 85, 88, 89

Maybe its a stretch for me to say most but its far far from a rarity
    Last edited by indyfan; 04-16-2021 at 07:52 PM.
    I am the Foundation

Johnny Cash Lis'nen

Status
      Country                    us=United States

I’m hoping Impact pumps out the big bucks to get Joe back home. They will only have one true top guy, after they beat Omega, but a second one in Samoa Joe would be hugely beneficial. He can work with the new roster, eventually land on broadcast/backstage if he wants, go into the Hall of Fame and still be able to work with AEW and NJPW.

Also wouldn’t mind him in MLW.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information