Thread: AEW Dynamite On TNT - 14/04/2021

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

AEW Dynamite AEW Dynamite On TNT - 14/04/2021

Anthony Ogogo in Action!

Red Velvet vs. Jade Cargill

Amber Nova vs. Kris Statlander

Special Enforcer (Mike Tyson) Match: Chris Jericho (w/Sammy Guevara) vs. Dax Harwood (w/Cash Wheeler)

AEW World Tag Team Title Match: The Young Bucks (Matt Jackson & Nick Jackson) (c) vs. The Death Triangle (PAC & Rey Fenix)

AEW TNT Title Falls Count Anywhere Match: Darby Allin (c) vs. Matt Hardy

Putting Butts in Seats

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: AEW Dynamite On TNT - 14/04/2021

I'm praying to whatever gods will listen that the Young Bucks lose tonight.

Intercontinental Champion

Status
      Country                    Canada

I'm solely watching for the Ogogo debut and I'm hoping his in-ring is as good as his promo

Status

I felt like the opening tag title match just went on way too long but Bucks did a good job playing heels tonight.

I wanted to see more out of Ogogo :/ also it's going to be really hard to sell a liver shot to a pro-wrestling audience imo. I know how devastating one is and how it's able to incapacitate a person, but I feel like in general, pro-wrestling fans don't understand that. Props on them for going with that though.

Darby/Hardy over-delivered, it was a very fun main event.

WAKE UP

Status

This opening Bucks heel promo - didn't they already do all this shit last year and then just retcon it out because it went nowhere? Tony needs to get a grip on whoever is booking this shit because its dreadful. For all this talk of how AEW are booking long-term, this feels like they are making it up as they go along.

There will be some who cream over that opening tag, but honestly it was the sort of match that made me think I'll stop watching this promotion. It's not for me.

4th Britt Baker promo in a row despite losing the Lights Out. No sign of Rosa still.

On the upside:

Jade vs Velvet was a pretty hot match that helped cleanse the pallet. Short, heated, and had a clear hierarchy between them. More of that.

Wheeler sold that Tyson punch like a motherfucker. Yeesh.

I am down for Christian vs Hobbs and Darby vs Miro on the docket

Darby vs Hardy was a total blast. Darby kicking out of the chair Twist of Fate and the table legdrop were both a bridge too far, but otherwise a great match. Felt like a war and that finish was awesome. Had no idea Whitmer was a producer in AEW either.
    Talk about the best matches of the year here:

WWE | AEW | New Japan | Other

Urgent exit required.

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    I felt like the opening tag title match just went on way too long but Bucks did a good job playing heels tonight.

I wanted to see more out of Ogogo :/ also it's going to be really hard to sell a liver shot to a pro-wrestling audience imo. I know how devastating one is and how it's able to incapacitate a person, but I feel like in general, pro-wrestling fans don't understand that. Props on them for going with that though.

Darby/Hardy over-delivered, it was a very fun main event.
    Re: Ogogo... I think it could work if the fans werent dumb.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

WAKE UP

Status

Quote Originally Posted by RainShaker View Post
    Re: Ogogo... I think it could work if the fans werent dumb.
    Hard to blame the fans not buying a punch as a TKO when you have a flip piledriver as a throwaway spot in the opening match

Urgent exit required.

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    Hard to blame the fans not buying a punch as a TKO when you have a flip piledriver as a throwaway spot in the opening match
    Yeah but its no different to Mike Tyson KOing someone with a worked punch. He is a boxer. He can throw combos etc better than most/anyone in AEW. His boxing technique will be better than anyone. It is more believable to me that Ogogo can liver shot TKO someone with one punch than some other random from the roster because of that reason.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that a boxer is going to have a better success rat e with this gameplan than anyone else. Ogogo being a boxer is likely to have a punch heavy gameplan anyway.

It almost silly for people to be upset about it when a liver punch has been shown to be devastating in actual non kayfabed sports.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Admin in Lockdown

Status

I wasn't a fan of the opening tag either. If The Bucks are going to lay it on THAT thick with a trowel that they're bad guys now, then this isn't going to be for me because they're horrendous at acting, especially Matt. It's been funny to see how ratings have been dropping week by week the more they play into this Elite storyline. I also had trouble watching PAC be a pure babyface for the first time in 5 years, because I feel he's mis-cast in the company and should still be bastard PAC in programs with Darby Allin and Christian and whatnot.

Jade/Red Velvet I couldn't of asked more from. I mentioned in the 'Most Improved' thread yesterday that Jade was someone who could be a potential winner, and then hours later she has a match that shows she's improved from her performance in the Shaq tag match.

I loved the Ogogo debut. Booking wise I think this was the best thing on the show - if you are the talk of twitter 24 hours after your debut, then it was a successful debut. Given time, anything can get over in wrestling as a believable finish; 10 more matches like this where Ogogo has a quick victory over scrubs you can start moving him onto more experienced wrestlers who have the strategy of avoiding the liver punch, maybe they work over Ogogo's hand to take away some of the power of the finish, and then the first time someone can withstand the liver punch, it's a huge moment. This is the good example of having variety on your show because no-one in this company is like Ogogo so he stands out, and if they start a streak of wins going, he's gonna get over. Elsewhere, I like 'The Factory' as a stable name , loving the Big Ben chimes to his entrance music, and their logo looks cool too. QT dressing as Tony Soprano is a bit much, but it's a nitpick.

I don't have a lot of positives to say about Darby/Hardy. Just cause Darby is a great seller and bumper doesn't mean old man Matt Hardy should be taking 90% of the match, and to have a hardcore stipulation like this out of the blue was too soon I felt. Add in that the middle of the match was a huge brawl with the spotlight on Sting and Lance Archer, and I'm sorry this doesn't come of as a match that really puts Darby over. He comes off lucky that he's still champion.

Dynamite continues to be a mixed bag.
    ​​​
    ​​​ ​​​​​​

Ed's Favourite Threads

Ed Reviews Everything l Ed's Kings Road Journey

Ed's Top Matches of the Year Lists

Status

The middle of the match brawl is something I really liked honestly. I like that you can have wrestlers intertwining with each other and doing multiple things, it's one of the things AEW does well. I hate the idea that people have to be bubbled away from anyone and everyone else if they're in a feud, this route of booking is more interesting for me. The one thing that really irritated me about WWE's booking when they slowly hooked me back in during the CWC, was when the Cruiserweights debuted on Raw, they were completely isolated from everyone else on the roster. I could go on for a while about how much that portion of booking annoyed me for several reasons, but yeah I don't feel like the interference took away from the match much, if at all.

I agree with you on PAC though, I just can't buy him as a face. The way he carries himself, his expressions, the way he talks, everything just screams heel bastard to me. Jade's also someone I'm really high on, everything about her feels special and she did make tremendous improvements in such a short period of time. Much respect to Red Velvet as well, she really went all out to make her and Jade look good in this one.

ABSOLUTE

Status

Show drew 1.219M this week so that's awesome and exactly what most people were hoping to see when NXT announced the move to Tuesdays. I think it's pretty significant if AEW can continually pull these numbers because Raw lately has mostly been in the 1.8M range, sometimes lower and sometimes higher, so if AEW can draw 2/3 the number Monday Night Raw draws... that's nothing to sneeze at.

Admin in Lockdown

Status

Over 1.2 million in the viewership, almost double what they did last week. That’s the 2nd best viewing figures in their history. Running unopposed is gonna work out well for AEW it seems.

edit - EC beat me to it.
    ​​​
    ​​​ ​​​​​​

Ed's Favourite Threads

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

It'll drop within a few weeks and then we'd be able to figure out what their baseline audience is now NXT isn't there and some of the new people that Tyson drew. Great number. They've been stagnanting and even dropping for the past month.

I thought this was a solid episode of Dynamite I'd say. I wasn't in love with the opening match like most but it established that the Bucks are indeed heel, in the most on the nose way.

Admin in Lockdown

Status

Wasn’t Tyson on last week when they had half this viewership?
    ​​​
    ​​​ ​​​​​​

Ed's Favourite Threads

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Wasn’t Tyson on last week when they had half this viewership?
    Yes. The overall viewership isn't on him, but his individual segment did have an extra boost of viewers as well.

GMT Baby

Status

Watched my first episode of Dynamite, and so these observations are more Macro than Micro, and are mostly direct comparisons with WWE.

1. By including things like Win/Loss Records and Rankings it comes across as a really competition-driven and meritocracy-based sports show. I think this just makes complete sense, and I also think the time-limits are a logical touch too that add a bit of realism to proceedings.

2. It is refreshing that they don't seem to push all elements to the max and de-value parts of the production which can otherwise b exciting when used sparingly. I feel like if WWE introduced time-limits then every 10-minute match would last 9:59, in the same way as every pin attempt is a 2-and-three-quarters.

3. Something I have struggled with and that has historically taken me out of feuds is when the storyline doesn't logically culminate with a Wrestling match, and where a win or loss in a Wrestling match wouldn't logically end the beef between the characters involved. With AEW it seems like they are driving storylines where it is logical that the competitors strive for Wrestling excellence, to climb the rankings, and to win belts.

4. Fuck me what a refreshing change of commentary style and delivery.

Really enjoyed the show overall, and infinitely more palatable than an episode of RAW.

Zoom E | Szumi | Old Man

Status
      Country                    Poland

Counter points, as an AEW fan: the win-loss records honestly have no impact on the storylines, and many midcard talents have ridiculously bloated records from working Dark a lot. It's all really just a mess.

You will also get big feuds ending in a "Lights Out" match where the feud ending match doesn't have any impact on the rankings because it doesn't count as a match since it's not sanctioned by AEW.

Essentially, the W-L records are like Whose Line Is It Anyway? The points are all made up and don't matter.

WCW 99: The Fingerpoke of Doom
    Now Playing in BTB Section!

VINTAGE POSTER!

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Yep, been saying from the start it should never have been implemented. It’s clear they want some fluidity and flexibility to put someone in a title match when it suits the story, which I’m happy with, but it opens them up to looking inconsistent and flawed if they say from the start there’s an actual records system.

Quote Originally Posted by Diksting
    You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

WAKE UP

Status

I've come to take the Wins and Losses records as more of a tool to establish where people lay in the pecking order, rather than a literal, definitive system that is to be followed by the book. It's a narrative tool. If they have a match with a guy who is #2 vs a guy who is #5, you know the first guy is higher in the hierarchy and the favourite, but the second guy is still in the Top 5 so a win still means something.

Putting Butts in Seats

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Zoom-E View Post
    Counter points, as an AEW fan: the win-loss records honestly have no impact on the storylines, and many midcard talents have ridiculously bloated records from working Dark a lot. It's all really just a mess.

You will also get big feuds ending in a "Lights Out" match where the feud ending match doesn't have any impact on the rankings because it doesn't count as a match since it's not sanctioned by AEW.

Essentially, the W-L records are like Whose Line Is It Anyway? The points are all made up and don't matter.
    To be fair, there have only been two "Lights Out" matches since they opened. :P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information