Thread: NJPW Wrestling Satsuma No Kuni & NJPW Wrestling Dontaku 2021

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

NJPW NJPW Wrestling Satsuma No Kuni & NJPW Wrestling Dontaku 2021

NJPW Wrestling Satsuma No Kuni - Day 1 - 28/04/2021
    Gabriel Kidd & Tiger Mask vs. Yota Tsuji & Yuya Uemura

Suzuki-gun (DOUKI, Taichi & Zack Sabre Jr.) vs. BULLET CLUB (Jado, Tama Tonga & Tanga Loa)

Hiroshi Tanahashi, Master Wato & Ryusuke Taguchi vs. BULLET CLUB (Gedo, Taiji Ishimori & Yujiro Takahashi)

Los Ingobernables de Japon (BUSHI, SANADA, Shingo Takagi & Tetsuya Naito) vs. The United Empire (Aaron Henare, Great-O-Khan, Jeff Cobb & Will Ospreay)

NJPW Creation of Darkness Blindfold King Of Pro-Wrestling Title Match: Toru Yano (c) vs. EVIL

IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Title Match:
    Roppongi 3K (SHO & YOH) (c) vs. Suzuki-gun (El Desperado & Yoshinobu Kanemaru)

NJPW Wrestling Satsuma No Kuni - Day 2 - 29/04/2021
    Yota Tsuji & Yuya Uemura vs. Los Ingobernables de Japon (BUSHI & SANADA)

Roppongi 3K (SHO & YOH) & Tiger Mask vs. Suzuki-gun (El Desperado, Minoru Suzuki & Yoshinobu Kanemaru)

Suzuki-gun (DOUKI, Taichi & Zack Sabre Jr.) vs. BULLET CLUB (Jado, Tama Tonga & Tanga Loa)

Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Master Wato, Ryusuke Taguchi & Toru Yano vs. BULLET CLUB (Dick Togo, EVIL, Taiji Ishimori & Yujiro Takahashi)

Los Ingobernables de Japon (Shingo Takagi & Tetsuya Naito) vs. The United Empire (Great-O-Khan & Will Ospreay)

Golden Ace (Hiroshi Tanahashi & Kota Ibushi) vs. The United Empire (Aaron Henare & Jeff Cobb)

NJPW Wrestling Dontaku 2021 - Day 1 - 03/05/2021
    Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Toru Yano, Ryusuke Taguchi & Master Wato vs. BULLET CLUB ("King of Darkness" EVIL, Yujiro Takahashi, Taiji Ishimori & Dick Togo)
    CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada, SHO & YOH) vs. Suzuki Gun (Minoru Suzuki, El Desperado & Yoshinobu Kanemaru)
    Los Ingobernables de Japon (Tetsuya Naito, SANADA, Shingo Takagi & BUSHI) vs. United Empire (Will Ospreay, Great-O-Khan, Jeff Cobb & Aaron Henare)
    Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Tanga Loa
    Iron Finger From Hell Contest Ladder Match: Taichi vs. Tama Tonga
    NEVER Openweight Title Match: Hiroshi Tanahashi (c) vs. Jay White

NJPW Wrestling Dontaku 2021 - Day 2 - 04/05/2021
    Suzuki Gun (Taichi, Zack Sabre Jr. & DOUKI) vs. BULLET CLUB (Tama Tonga, Tanga Loa & Jado)
    CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada & SHO) vs. Suzuki Gun (Minoru Suzuki & Yoshinobu Kanemaru)
    Los Ingobernables de Japon (Tetsuya Naito, SANADA & BUSHI) vs. United Empire (Great-O-Khan, Jeff Cobb & Aaron Henare)
    Hiroshi Tanahashi, Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Toru Yano, Ryusuke Taguchi & Master Wato vs. BULLET CLUB ("King of Darkness" EVIL, Jay White, KENTA, Yujiro Takahashi & Taiji Ishimori)
    IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Title Match: El Desperado (c) vs. YOH
    IWGP World Heavyweight Title Match: Will Ospreay (c) vs. Shingo Takagi

Urgent exit required.

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Re: NJPW Wrestling Satsuma No Kuni & NJPW Wrestling Dontaku 2021

EVIL facing Yano is where he belongs.

Tanahashi vs White should be good. Neat story going into it.

Hoping R3K can build on their win with a better showing.

Big swing and a miss on the ladder match for me fucking lol that's DDT type shit.

Semi and Main of Dontaku should be good shit.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Underdog

Status

Creation of Darkness Blindfold match. Iron Fingers from Hell Ladder match. What? I used to enjoy NJ as it was so far removed from WWE’s main roster tripe but they seem to be steering the ship straight towards the iceberg with stuff like this. I’m not sure what they can do to get me back on board as there aren’t even any potential match-ups that could get me to watch. I know I’m not the only one who shares that sentiment and it’s concerning for NJ from a Western fan perspective (if they’re worried about such a thing).

WAKE UP

Status

tanahashi vs white and ospreay vs shingo, so fresh
    Talk about the best matches of the year here:

WWE | AEW | New Japan | Other

Admin in Lockdown

Status

Creation of Darkness blindfold match?

---

Really nothing grabbing me here. I'm sure Shingo/Will will be good but we just saw it.
    ​​​
    ​​​ ​​​​​​

Ed's Favourite Threads

Ed Reviews Everything l Ed's Kings Road Journey

Ed's Top Matches of the Year Lists

Urgent exit required.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post

Creation of Darkness blindfold match?

---

Really nothing grabbing me here. I'm sure Shingo/Will will be good but we just saw it.

ikr i thought it was NOAH that was partnering with DDT.

---

buckle up boys this NJPW post golden age where they have nobody interesting to fill the Okada void when he is de-pushed.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

I might just be reaching as I've been watching it more recently but New Japan feels like it's turned into FMW. And not the FMW with Onita doing Deathmatches. I mean the late 90s with Fuyuki booking. It still has elements of what it was a few years ago with the stables and etc but the frequent funky stipulations and angles reeks of FMW. Sports Entertainment specifically. Gedo was around in that period and we all know that he's a fan of Memphis wrestling. Is that just me imagining things? Dick Togo turning off the lights in the Yano vs Evil match is peak Sports Entertainment.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    China

I can buy the resemblance between this era of NJPW & late 90s FMW somewhat. The logic of why is what I question. The late era of FMW was somewhat admirable in that the bigger companies were just doing the same stuff that had worked a half decade prior, and FMW also had the disadvantage of Onita fucking them over and not making any new stars because he's a carny asshole. But at least they were trying something different.

This NJPW has gone that route after literally finally crowning their biggest star champion and decided to fuck it up to go down this road after a two year build when they're the runaway #1 company.

EVIL seriously is such an irredeemable sack of shit. One of the worst wrestlers ever to step foot in a wrestling ring, letalone NJPW. Yano's just as bad but at least is supposed to be terrible. That match was awful, one of the worst of the year. And the cherry on top is that it was proceeded by another Roppongi 3K vs. Despy/Kanemaru match. The match nobody wanted in the first place in it's 20,000th iteration. What a company.

For what it was YH/KENTA early in the tour wasn't terrible for what it was. Ishimori/Goto wasn't bad but nothing special at all. This has been a banner tour in terms of NJPW's interest plummeting.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

I've been the only one still into the Roppongi 3K vs Despy/Kanemaru matches but even I'm bored with them now.

The company seems so stale regarding the roster and it's match ups. And these new ideas aren't working either. The KOPW immediately flopped with even Okada having nothing to do with it despite him being the one pushing it. Ibushi's title reign felt lacklustre despite the good title matches, similar to Omega now I'm thinking about it. The repeat matches are something that you can't really avoid but the fueds aren't progressing. They are just spinning the same wheels, like Jay White vs Hiroshi Tanahashi. It's no wonder what lot of the roster has been pushing to do AEW.

I don't know what needs to change. Maybe Gedo should be replaced as the head booker. New influx of talent? I dunno. I would suggest that they partner with someone in Japan to give that interpromotional spice but no one want to work with New Japan as they steal their talent.

Urgent exit required.

Status

Still to catch up on Satsuma, not entirely sure if I will check it out beyond a few matches.

I don't know about FMW and stuff (didn't watch it) but I think this sort of stuff is in line with how NJPW has been booking 'sports entertainment' like angles throughout the years. I think it's just meant to be a change from the more serious stuff for the most part or to add an edge. I don't think this is something NJPW has just 'decided' to go down when they've got previous for this type of stuff throughout the years and it's really just to diversify their show and probably grab a different type of viewer. I also dunno if Zero is referring to Naito or Ibushi but I think Ibushi's involvement with the title isn't done yet by a long shot. Naito, hard to say, but the uncertainty over the COVID situation was a factor in his title reign too unfortunately. As said before, NJPW's booking etc has definitely taken a weirder turn for sure over the last couple of years.

I've not seen the matches but I don't think I was going to take the main too seriously anyway. As for the IWGP Jr tagger, I think I don't care much for Despy/Kanemaru more than anything rather than the actual matchup itself. I don't mind seeing matches of the same type happen over again with development in between and whatnot. Happens in actual sport so it's not unreasonable for it to happen in NJPW.

Whilst I do think there's a degree of staleness and just general booking weirdness hanging over NJPW right now, I actually somewhat disagree on White vs Tanahashi being a spinning of the same wheels. It's a match we've seen before obviously but I don't think they've really done this story between the two yet. There's a lot to it but I just enjoy the basic aspect of Jay White chasing a grand slam and Tanahashi reluctantly accepting the challenge knowing that he hasn't beaten White in one on one in ages. A defeat for Tanahashi is calamitous for his reputation given his promises regarding the NEVER title. It might be the only time (I think I can recall) where Tanahashi is the extremely clear underdog in kayfabe. Dontaku is also an event Tanahashi has not won a title match at for 10 years.

I think it'd be cool for Tanahashi's current arc if he's able to overcome White once again at an event that's obviously not good for him. It'd definitely add something special to his reign for him I think. Who knows if he wins though as they might want to beef White up. It's really up in the air for me given both guy's story which is probably why I'm invested.

I would say that post-pandemic where they have access to more talent will help but I don't know, I look at the other companies and they are not that impressive either in Japan. NJPW don't need to partner with anyone either. If things were that bad then other promotions would hover like vultures for some spotlight too. NJPW aren't in the less favorable negotiation position with anyone else in Japan

Ospreay is doing a decent job as champion too I think. I'm surprised at how he comes across (still a dick but it's working...)

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Quote Originally Posted by RainShaker View Post
    Ospreay is doing a decent job as champion too I think. I'm surprised at how he comes across (still a dick but it's working...)
    Ospreay vs Shingo being announced apparently sold out the tickets available almost immediately so Ospreay is delivering financially as well as presentation wise.

I would say that post-pandemic where they have access to more talent will help but I don't know, I look at the other companies and they are not that impressive either in Japan. NJPW don't need to partner with anyone either. If things were that bad then other promotions would hover like vultures for some spotlight too. NJPW aren't in the less favorable negotiation position with anyone else in Japan
    Financially, New Japan are way better off and draw just fine without help. I was just thinking about the interpromotional spice that could be added to the shows than anything.

Urgent exit required.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by MC 16 View Post
    Ospreay vs Shingo being announced apparently sold out the tickets available almost immediately so Ospreay is delivering financially as well as presentation wise.

Financially, New Japan are way better off and draw just fine without help. I was just thinking about the interpromotional spice that could be added to the shows than anything.
    He is doing a good job building to the match with Shingo as well as Okada without underselling the importance of the Shingo match. Doing a decent job building Shingo too and it's difficult given they faced off not too long ago. He's still obviously a heel but I suppose I'm finding him okay at the minute.

Interpromotional stuff could be fun though what would you suggest? I'd keep NOAH away as far as possible atleast. Takeshita from DDT joining the mix would be great probably. It's really difficult to think where other top guys from other promotions would fit in.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Ospreay vs Shingo Takagi was naturally very good if you like Will Ospreay. Maybe don't watch it if you're not into Will Ospreay though as its a lengthy bout. I wasn't blown away overall but there are some spectacular moments throughout the match.

YOH vs Desperado was taken off the show due to COVID precautions if anyone was interested in that match.

Thread Information