Status

Fight Night NOLA (April 23rd, 2021) | Card and Promo Discussion

LIVE FROM THE MERCEDES-BENZ SUPERDOME
    IN NEW ORLEANS, LOUISANA
    ON April 23, 2021

MAIN EVENT
    60-Minute Iron Man Falls Count Anywhere Match
    [Referee: Richard Davis]

(If Parr wins, he's added to the Back in Business main event; if Parr loses, he's out of the Golden Opportunity Elimination Chamber match)
    Michelle von Horrowitz vs. "The Prodigy" Mike Parr

Making a Statement
    Tag Team Match
    [Referee: Matthew Dean]

Golden Rock vs. The GangStars

FWA Gauntlet Championship
    Singles Match
    Eli's First Defense
    [Referee: Joey Ortiz]
    (1000 Word Cap)

"The Arteest" Eli Black vs. "The British Apprentice" Reagan Cole

Fantasy vs Reality
    Singles Match
    [Referee: Larry Stevens]

Captain Fantasy vs. "The Carnegie Carnivore" Michael Garcia

Singles Match
    [Referee: Gracelynn Guerrero]
    "The Heretic" Dan Maskell vs. Lizzie Rose

Horse vs Machine
    Singles Match
    [Referee: Joey Ortiz]
    "The Murder Horse" Claude Savage vs. "Big Mack" Marcus McClain

Tag Team Match
    [Referee: Richard Davis]

J.J. JAY! and Quiet vs. The Diamond Dogs

Singles Match
    [Referee: Matthew Dean]

"The Unholy One" Elliot Harvey Huttlestone vs. Kleio De Santos

Handicap Match
    [Referee: Tommy Palmer]

Gabrielle Montgomery vs. The Undisputed Alliance

Singles Match
    [Referee: Larry Stevens]
    Saus X vs. Louis Valander
    Last edited by Sulley; 04-11-2021 at 02:10 AM.

Status

Re: Fight Night NOLA (April 23rd, 2021) | Card and Promo Discussion

Trying something that was tried awhile back where we'll be doing promo and card discussion in this singular thread. Post your thoughts about the card as well as any reviews or feedback for promos in here. You can also use this thread to request extensions, but extensions will be listed in the promo thread.

HOSS MOD

Status

I'm going to tell you up front that it's VERY likely that I won't be able to promo for this show. I'm having my wisdom teeth removed on the 12th and I have no idea how well I'm gonna be.

I don't mind taking the loss if I do no-show, but I wanted to let you all know about that ahead of time.
    Something Witty!

Cyrus Truth
    4x FWA World Heavyweight Champion
    1x FWA North American Champion
    2x CWA World Heavyweight Champion
    1x PnH International Champion

Konchu Hao
    1x FWA X Division Champion
    Ground Zero Winner (Season 2)

World Champion

Status

No....Cyrus....please show....

For real, man, been there and I won't lie it fucking sucks. Well wishes to you on it though, drink lots of jack to numb it!

If you really don't feel like you'll be able to get anything, I'm sure we could all put our heads together and figure out a,way where Cyrus doesn't have to take the loss.

SHOW ME WHAT YOU GOT

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Main Event Sayer View Post
    No....Cyrus....please show....

For real, man, been there and I won't lie it fucking sucks. Well wishes to you on it though, drink lots of jack to numb it!

If you really don't feel like you'll be able to get anything, I'm sure we could all put our heads together and figure out a,way where Cyrus doesn't have to take the loss.
    Knox's revenge.

Spoiler:

I'm a Stone Cold Lee Guy.

Status
      Country                    Ireland

DIAMOND DOGS?! WHO DA WHAT THE HEY NOW?!
    The most amazing thing about this recent conversation is that I've learned AON is even more of a waste of space than I thought he was previously

Heel Champion

Status
      Country                    Russian Federation

Quote Originally Posted by An Original Name View Post
    jobbers

Status

Cyrus knows once he loses his wisdom tooth, he won't have the wisdom to keep writing ace promos.

All About That Ace

Status
      Country                    Canada

Replace Cyrus with Captain Fantasy tbh

All About That Ace

Status
      Country                    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by An Original Name View Post
    I gotta put them over after you buried them tbh

HOSS MOD

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Sulley View Post
    Cyrus knows once he loses his wisdom tooth, he won't have the wisdom to keep writing ace promos.
    Either that or they're holding back my power. Once they're removed, the holes healed, and the seal released? Y'all gotta handle Cyrus Truth at full power instead of 5%.
    Something Witty!

Cyrus Truth
    4x FWA World Heavyweight Champion
    1x FWA North American Champion
    2x CWA World Heavyweight Champion
    1x PnH International Champion

Konchu Hao
    1x FWA X Division Champion
    Ground Zero Winner (Season 2)

World Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Cuddlywhiskers View Post
    Replace Cyrus with Captain Fantasy tbh
    He shouldn't lose his first match.

Status

Breaking Update: For those who saw the released card ahead of April 23rd's Fight Night NOLA supershow, you may have been hyped to see North American champion Cyrus Truth take on the evil Mike Garcia.

Now however we're getting word that the card has been updated, and Cyrus is no longer on it. Rumor has it, Garcia will now be facing off against the FWAs newest addition to the roster Captain Fantasy. This would be the super hero icon's first match in the FWA.

This isn't the first time this has happened. Gerald Grayson was replaced on the card just in February. We're not sure the reasoning behind Cyrus' replacement, but we'll give more updates when available.

People's Champion

Status
      Country                    England

I'm gonna request an extension for reasons which some of you are aware of. I'll try and get something done as best I can.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    I'm gonna request an extension for reasons which some of you are aware of. I'll try and get something done as best I can.
    You got it. AON has one too now.

Heel Champion

Status
      Country                    Russian Federation

Requesting an extension please.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by SupineSnake View Post
    Requesting an extension please.
    Granted. Prod has one too now.

Status

Golden Rock:

So what I liked about this promo...the first half with the reverse on the efedding was a creative approach. I remember someone just mentioning this in the discord. I can't remember if it was you guys or not, but kudos for jumping on the idea and going for it. This promo is a great example of how you can toe the line and write a fourth wall breaking promo without going too far and totally breaking the immersion. It was just enough to make the fourth wall breaking work, but did remind me a tad of the JJJ carnal contendership promo. This is also a textbook example of how to write a promo that nets a great creativity score without having to do some crazy thing like Jurassic Park. It's unique but not totally flashy and it really gets the message across.

What I didn't like...I felt like the second half of the promo transitioned a bit unnaturally. And while I think it was needed to hear directly from Golden Rock and Ramon and not their fictional representations, I just think that it stood out and ruined the flow of what was going on above it. If there was a more natural transition into it instead of it feeling like two promos smushed together, I probably wouldn't have noticed. Another gripe I have is, I wasn't a particular fan of the CWA attacks to disparage The Gang Stars. I get that's what people think of when it comes to them together, and we did just have Gold Rush, but the Krash and AB have both been in the FWA doing their own thing for over a year now, and I feel like you guys skipped over or pretended like that didn't exist and that these guys just entered from CWA. I also feel like some of the jabs at CWA were off, which would be fine coming from someone like Garcia, but I mean Devin Golden just a year ago was jumping from the commentary table to defend Krash, and defend CWA against Sulley and Kennedy. And I don't think the fact that he did this was explored well enough, nor was the reason for his change of view other than the Gang Stars attacking them and stealing the spotlight from the Toner feud. I also for what it's worth fire CWA as more like the WCW to FWA's WWF, and not Impact.

With all that said, I think the second half monologue had some really great attacks at the Gang Stars. Specifically where they talked about the Gang Stars doing what is a rookie move with the masked attacker angle in order to build hype when if they were as legit as they are they wouldn't have needed to. That's a great argument in a debate, and I haven't read the Gang Stars promo yet so we'll see if they addressed that themselves.
    Overall I think this promo is right in line with the high quality stuff you've been putting out on your entire run. I get the feeling this match is going to be the toughest to grade of the show.

People's Champion

Status
      Country                    New Zealand

Marcus McClain: This was simple and effective. Something that within the current FWA climate is a bit of a nice change of pace. Just a classic wrestling promo. You did a good job of putting Marcus over here and conveying his personality. I think at times you the wording was a bit clunky, just that old classic of the same word appearing too much in a short span. But thats the only critique I could pick at here. You went in one the Claude Savage character really well, especially considering we've seen nothing from him. Shame he seems to have already left.

That last line was a really strong way to sign off too. Nice work.
    Credit to Comeback Kid for the GFX

The Artist of Chaos

Status
      Country                    United States

Review Time

Marcus Mcclain
    Oh, the cocky Big Mack. I like that he needs more competition and he's confident in himself. I feel like he's been humble too long. I think the starving for competition could be a good angle for this character—kind of like a Ryback/Kevin Owens combo.

Lizzie Rose
    So then I got knocked out, and having a dream promo has been done a lot, but because of your character work and unique voice, this was very entertaining. Your promos always have a rhythmic flow to them which makes it an easy read.

Captain Fantasy
    Wow, what an introduction to the character. This is an excellent episode of a streaming series introducing an indy character to the mainstream. I liked the tie-in of Captain Fantasy, eager to begin his hero work and everything going on with Garcia and trying to find the good in him. It reminds me of all the heroes I love to read or watch. This character works on FWA cause there so many heels. You got tons of villains to dispatch.

Kleio
    I always like how you characterize and slowly develop Kleio's story. She has a tragic past that is gradually being revealed in each promo. The tie-in of her knowing true Evil and completely disregarding Elliot's gimmick was great. Also, Eli is not in a cult. Goddammit, lol. The only negative was her divulging how she felt about Elliot so fast because the lady scream evil was a bit weird. If it came more naturally through convo or maybe a reading, it would not have taken me out as much, but that's minor.

The Golden Rock.
    As usual, well written, well presented, unique, but for some reason, this one didn't connect with me. I can't quite put my finger on it. I do like the barbs about how they have an issue about not being paired together in a tournament of random pairings. That makes them look foolish. Coming from the CWA and loving that Fed, you guys calling it an indy company that took me out. That's the whole basis of the promo. So for people who don't know about CWA, this stance makes sense.

The UA
    I always enjoy reading your UA promos. You ground this dastardly duo well with Jax Humor and Nate's sensibilities. The doll moment with Jax was weird. Did you laugh hard writing that? Lol, anyway, short and sweet. Solid stuff.

Louis V
    I feel like I say this on every one of your promos. You have potential but need to refine little things like minor mistakes that will take ppl out of your promo. I had to learn this hard way when I was losing pretty severely every match. Besides that, this a simple premise that fits the character. Like the new aspect of his mind is another character. I think you can get a lot out of that. My only thing who are you facing? How do you feel about them, or what's the narrative? Those were the most significant things missing.

Saus X
    I've been enjoying your promos the last couple of weeks. I see the growth in each one. This one is solid. It just has issues with coding that threw me off. You also spend a lot of time describing your van, which is essential to your character but not much on Louis. I like the increased confidence Saus is showing because of the wins with the 24/7 title. That's a significant development.

The Gang Starrs
    Going into this storyline and match up, I wasn't feeling the build or the reasoning. Especially since it's so similar to MVH/Parr, which I didn't care for either, but this promo made everything click. Especially this line,"‘If you make people care more about you than the ones who know about the bodies you’ve buried, then the people who care will drown out the people who know.’". It all started to click, and as I read on, I enjoyed this. The two set up for this has been done tons. An interview and also recapping the feud but the way it was executed was just done so damn well. Plus, the differences in your personalities are just significant. A lot of teams feel like two of the same ppl, but you guys are opposites but have a bond. This was great.

Gabrielle
    You are slowly but surely becoming my fav character in the FWA. This is funny because I've never really liked Gabrielle that much before, but this new version is incredible. The storytelling how to weave the narratives into what's going on in her life naturally without an exposition dump. Also, the ending broke my heart but made total sense. How could Alyster be there when he's preparing for war? fav promo thus far

I have three promos left to read, and they are long ones. So I'm going to take my time and hopefully get to review them. Quality stuff this week. It makes me feel shameful how bad I am, lol
    Last edited by Mr. Franchise; 04-20-2021 at 04:16 PM.
    "Are you doin' this work to facilitate growth or to become famous?
    Which is more important?
    Getting or letting go?"

"The worst part of having a mental illness is people expect you to behave as if you don't."

"I rather you hate me for everything I am then for something i am not"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information