Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mass Effect: Legendary Edition (2021)

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Re: Mass Effect: Legendary Edition (2021)

You made the same choices I did during my first playthrough, although I let Ashley die and not Kaiden. I did let the space racist live in future games though.

Demon on the Loose

Status
      Country                    Greece

I always play as a vanguard. It's just so fun going head on and striking enemies with the biotic charge (for ME 2 & 3)

And I always let Kaidan die with the exception of one playthrough where I was just curious to see what becomes of him. I'll take a racist character who eventually becomes interesting by the 3rd entry over a bland character who remains bland.

The 1st entry isn't without its flaws obviously but I feel it is aging rather well.
    The RED Report!
    (A New Episode every once in a blue moon!)

Internet Favorite

Status
      Country                    Wales

After playing the trilogy endlessly on PS3, I made this the first game I bought when I got a PS5 for Christmas. I'm working my way through ME1 at the moment. You can definitely see and feel the improvement they've made. The visuals have been upgraded a lot and it looks magnificent. There's still the tedious repetitive side mission buldings to work through but at least they've improved the combat mechanics to make it more bareable. The improved control of the Mako is also welcome, though I miss how much thrust you used to get from the old one. The new thrusters on this Mako makes it much trickier to defeat Thresher Maws for example. I think the biggest problem the game has now is that you have to constantly manage your inventory when it gets to a point of being full, but that's not a huge issue compared to how much of a chore it was to play through this game before. The charm and story really saved it first time round I feel.

Can't wait to get onto my favorite installment; ME2, as it'll be the first time I will have Zaeed in the game. I missed out on getting his DLC last time as I bought second hand and I ended up with Kasumi (which isn't a problem as she's awesome). I don't think they ever made Zaeed available to purchase as a standalone DLC so I've only witnessed him second hand watching my friend play years ago.

All About That Ace

Status
      Country                    Palestinian Territory

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Thunder View Post
    After playing the trilogy endlessly on PS3, I made this the first game I bought when I got a PS5 for Christmas. I'm working my way through ME1 at the moment. You can definitely see and feel the improvement they've made. The visuals have been upgraded a lot and it looks magnificent. There's still the tedious repetitive side mission buldings to work through but at least they've improved the combat mechanics to make it more bareable. The improved control of the Mako is also welcome, though I miss how much thrust you used to get from the old one. The new thrusters on this Mako makes it much trickier to defeat Thresher Maws for example. I think the biggest problem the game has now is that you have to constantly manage your inventory when it gets to a point of being full, but that's not a huge issue compared to how much of a chore it was to play through this game before. The charm and story really saved it first time round I feel.

Can't wait to get onto my favorite installment; ME2, as it'll be the first time I will have Zaeed in the game. I missed out on getting his DLC last time as I bought second hand and I ended up with Kasumi (which isn't a problem as she's awesome). I don't think they ever made Zaeed available to purchase as a standalone DLC so I've only witnessed him second hand watching my friend play years ago.
    I'm very happy for the improvements to the controls as well. The inventory was also something that bothered me by the end. I ended up just converting everything to medigel at some point because I was too lazy to have to keep managing things.

Jumping onto ME2, I actually miss some of the stuff from ME1. The larger variety of abilities, weapons, armor, and the mods you could attach to it. With the improvement of the mako controls, although I did not really enjoy having to traverse mountains, I actually prefer traversing planets over the scanning & probing which is a bit more dull if youre the sort who checks every planet.

I ended up playing ME1 on Hardcore but Im going to do ME2 & ME3 on Insanity so I can get those achievements donezo. I'm also hoping to play ME2 using some of the people I used less the first time around. I'm sure I left Zaeed, Kasumi, Samara and those sorts on the bench 99% of the time but I'd like to try and rotate a bit more. I forgot some of those characters even existed tbh

Toxic Attraction

Status
      Country                    United States

Quote Originally Posted by Commie Uncle View Post
    I'm very happy for the improvements to the controls as well. The inventory was also something that bothered me by the end. I ended up just converting everything to medigel at some point because I was too lazy to have to keep managing things.

Jumping onto ME2, I actually miss some of the stuff from ME1. The larger variety of abilities, weapons, armor, and the mods you could attach to it. With the improvement of the mako controls, although I did not really enjoy having to traverse mountains, I actually prefer traversing planets over the scanning & probing which is a bit more dull if youre the sort who checks every planet.

I ended up playing ME1 on Hardcore but Im going to do ME2 & ME3 on Insanity so I can get those achievements donezo. I'm also hoping to play ME2 using some of the people I used less the first time around. I'm sure I left Zaeed, Kasumi, Samara and those sorts on the bench 99% of the time but I'd like to try and rotate a bit more. I forgot some of those characters even existed tbh
    Me 2 is the best in the series for sure though I do like some of three

Spoiler:

Internet Favorite

Status

I've always found there to be almost too much choice for mods and such in ME1. I often find myself spending a LONG time picking armour, then customising it with mods, then going through my entire squad and doing the same thing, then going through the same process with the weapons. You could spend an entire hour+ of 'gaming time' just customising stuff! I prefer ME2+3 in that respect in that the process has been streamlined significantly.
    But yes, I also prefer traversing planets (I bloody love making the mako climb those mountains lol) to the scanning and probing system of ME2. That task can be extremely tedious in ME2, especally towards the end of the game when you need to customise your ship to the max to make it through the Omega 4 Relay and need to top up certain elements to do those upgrades.

While I can appreciate the temptations to stick with tried and tested squadmates, I'd definitely recommend mixing it up with your teams as you'll come accross some great combinations that are devestatingly effective against different enemies. Kasumi I find to be particulary effective when paired with Thane for example. Samara's biotics are very powerful plus she has really strong weapons (assault rifle and sub-machinegun) to boot so is a good choice to bring with you against organic enemies. I don't have any experience of Zaeed (yet) but my understanding is that he's an absolute bludgeon along the same lines as Grunt or Wrex. Soi if you're looking to get through a mission using brute force then he's an easy choice to take with you.
    Last edited by Tommy Thunder; 01-20-2022 at 06:21 AM.

All About That Ace

Status

I finished up Mass Effect at some point last week. Wonderful trilogy. Probably my holy grail in gaming. I know there was a lot of hate for the ending of Mass Effect 3 (and I am experiencing it differently than the OG players did with the extended stuff and the addition of DLC), but I was quite satisfied with it ultimately. The renegade options made for some fun surprises I hadn't known about (I knew a lot of what happened so I didn't expect much). I ended up going with the synthesis ending... though it was accidental. I wanted to go with the control ending and to save the synthesis ending for my Paragon run since it seems like the perfect ending. I imagine the continuation of the ME series will go with the destroy ending. A shame. But I wouldn't be able to bring about the genocide of all AI so synthesis is the only moral ending for me.

I thought Leviathan was fun but the backstory of the reapers wasn't as interesting as I would've hoped. It was rather... mundane, one could say. Still, the idea behind the Intelligence was fun and I enjoyed learning more about them.

The start of the Citadel mission is fucking ass on insanity. But it was fun once the team starts to tag along and the addition of Brooks was cool although ultimately predictable.

Omega is my favorite DLC of the trilogy and it was fun to play with two new squad members. The last part was miserable though. Every time I'd launch incinerate at the pylons, the auto-lock would send it past it. Was dreadful. And since I had to sprint around to get the control panel, I'd get auto snapped onto covers all the time due to the tight paths.

I do wish ME3 had as many team members as ME2 but I enjoyed seeing them have more conversations across the ship between each other and I liked that I didn't have to enter a conversation system every time I wanted to see if they had anything else to say after a mission. Those were some good changes imo.

The scanning system of ME3 is tedious and unfun though, so I just looked up all the assets to get through that.

For the most part I tried to do every possible thing in the trilogy. I'm sure I missed a small mission or two but I'd say I did 95-99% of everything possible in all three. I will be going back to it for a paragon run at some point.

I know this is the LE thread but I'll pretend it's an overall Mass Effect thread.

I moved onto Andromeda. I'd already played 15hrs in the past and given up on the game due to frustrations over the difficulty. I gave it another go as a vanguard on hardcore and at around the same time stamp I gave up again. There were some issues like the game would freeze on loading screens every time I died which as a high risk class like vanguard, was way too often. I discovered thereafter that if you save inside the Nomad (the car), it basically wont load in, so that problem has been solved. But I wanted to get the insanity achievement so I decided to restart again either way, plus I regretted my decision to go with Male Ryder as his voice actor didn't vibe with me.

This time around I went again with Engineer because I love summons in RPGs and Engineer has constructs. It's never the most optimal way to play mass effect, youre much better off spamming the actual tech combo abilities if you'll go engineer but I like constructs.

I'm really enjoying Andromeda and I keep thinking "man it fucking sucks this game got such bad backlash that they completely abandoned it." I enjoy the world that's been created and it has a ton of potential. I wish there were more alien species (as of now there's only the Kett and Angora and I don't think there will be any more)... and given that the Andromeda Initiative started before the reaper invasion, it's theoretically possible that other species in the past have done the same trek as well. Also, devoid of the Leviathan/Reaper influence, there's no Mass Effect relay so there's still potential that there are other alien species in as of yet unreachable clusters. I do wish the team was a bit bigger but it's about the same size as ME1/ME3 and at least has the interactions of ME3 that make it fun. Especially enjoy going on the Nomad and seeing everyone interact with Jaal. Jaal is like a more likeable version of Javik (without the troubling imperialistic tendencies from Javik's culture). Quite enjoying this and easily have it above ME1 from a purely gameplay standpoint. It's also a fun change of pace from the militaristic direction of the original trilogy and Ryder has a noticeably different personality from Shepard which I liked (I like Shepard, don't get me wrong). I hope they don't entirely abandon what they've built here lorewise and we see it built on in some shape or form with the future of the series.

All I can think about is wanting more Mass Effect or Mass Effect-esque games (but I really like the ME universe so more ME would be great). It's the combination of the fun gameplay & the crew building aspects that I really like. It's going to suck having to wait years for the next one ;( I'm probably going to go back to Greedfall at some point to get more that ME craving I've been wanting.

Demon on the Loose

Status
      Country                    Greece

You should give Guardians of the Galaxy a go for a Mass Effect-ish vibe
    The RED Report!
    (A New Episode every once in a blue moon!)

All About That Ace

Status

Quote Originally Posted by RED View Post
    You should give Guardians of the Galaxy a go for a Mass Effect-ish vibe
    I beat that in December. It's a fun game but misses a lot of what I enjoyed about Mass Effect. I'd say the only stuff it really carries over is the character dynamics/conversations. But its way too linear and doesn't really have much character building/RPG mechanics sadly. I do enjoy some elements of the gameplay like the huddle up (though it gets repetitive) and how active your teammates tend to be but overall I didn't find it as engaging as ME's combat. I think DA:I & Greedfall are a bit closer to what I enjoy about Mass Effect. Outer Worlds too but that game has somewhat of a dull world.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status
      Country                    Scotland

I finished up Mass Effect at some point last week. Wonderful trilogy. Probably my holy grail in gaming. I know there was a lot of hate for the ending of Mass Effect 3 (and I am experiencing it differently than the OG players did with the extended stuff and the addition of DLC), but I was quite satisfied with it ultimately. The renegade options made for some fun surprises I hadn't known about (I knew a lot of what happened so I didn't expect much). I ended up going with the synthesis ending... though it was accidental. I wanted to go with the control ending and to save the synthesis ending for my Paragon run since it seems like the perfect ending. I imagine the continuation of the ME series will go with the destroy ending. A shame. But I wouldn't be able to bring about the genocide of all AI so synthesis is the only moral ending for me.

I thought Leviathan was fun but the backstory of the reapers wasn't as interesting as I would've hoped. It was rather... mundane, one could say. Still, the idea behind the Intelligence was fun and I enjoyed learning more about them.

The start of the Citadel mission is fucking ass on insanity. But it was fun once the team starts to tag along and the addition of Brooks was cool although ultimately predictable.

Omega is my favorite DLC of the trilogy and it was fun to play with two new squad members. The last part was miserable though. Every time I'd launch incinerate at the pylons, the auto-lock would send it past it. Was dreadful. And since I had to sprint around to get the control panel, I'd get auto snapped onto covers all the time due to the tight paths.

I do wish ME3 had as many team members as ME2 but I enjoyed seeing them have more conversations across the ship between each other and I liked that I didn't have to enter a conversation system every time I wanted to see if they had anything else to say after a mission. Those were some good changes imo.

The scanning system of ME3 is tedious and unfun though, so I just looked up all the assets to get through that.

For the most part I tried to do every possible thing in the trilogy. I'm sure I missed a small mission or two but I'd say I did 95-99% of everything possible in all three. I will be going back to it for a paragon run at some point.

I know this is the LE thread but I'll pretend it's an overall Mass Effect thread.

I moved onto Andromeda. I'd already played 15hrs in the past and given up on the game due to frustrations over the difficulty. I gave it another go as a vanguard on hardcore and at around the same time stamp I gave up again. There were some issues like the game would freeze on loading screens every time I died which as a high risk class like vanguard, was way too often. I discovered thereafter that if you save inside the Nomad (the car), it basically wont load in, so that problem has been solved. But I wanted to get the insanity achievement so I decided to restart again either way, plus I regretted my decision to go with Male Ryder as his voice actor didn't vibe with me.

This time around I went again with Engineer because I love summons in RPGs and Engineer has constructs. It's never the most optimal way to play mass effect, youre much better off spamming the actual tech combo abilities if you'll go engineer but I like constructs.

I'm really enjoying Andromeda and I keep thinking "man it fucking sucks this game got such bad backlash that they completely abandoned it." I enjoy the world that's been created and it has a ton of potential. I wish there were more alien species (as of now there's only the Kett and Angora and I don't think there will be any more)... and given that the Andromeda Initiative started before the reaper invasion, it's theoretically possible that other species in the past have done the same trek as well. Also, devoid of the Leviathan/Reaper influence, there's no Mass Effect relay so there's still potential that there are other alien species in as of yet unreachable clusters. I do wish the team was a bit bigger but it's about the same size as ME1/ME3 and at least has the interactions of ME3 that make it fun. Especially enjoy going on the Nomad and seeing everyone interact with Jaal. Jaal is like a more likeable version of Javik (without the troubling imperialistic tendencies from Javik's culture). Quite enjoying this and easily have it above ME1 from a purely gameplay standpoint. It's also a fun change of pace from the militaristic direction of the original trilogy and Ryder has a noticeably different personality from Shepard which I liked (I like Shepard, don't get me wrong). I hope they don't entirely abandon what they've built here lorewise and we see it built on in some shape or form with the future of the series.

All I can think about is wanting more Mass Effect or Mass Effect-esque games (but I really like the ME universe so more ME would be great). It's the combination of the fun gameplay & the crew building aspects that I really like. It's going to suck having to wait years for the next one ;( I'm probably going to go back to Greedfall at some point to get more that ME craving I've been wanting.
    Glad you enjoyed it. Holy grail of gaming is how I would describe it too. It's just as much fun on future playthroughs too, and I can't wait to get back into it at some point this year.

ME3 is my favourite of the trilogy. The ending isn't great, but that doesn't detract from a game that is 99% amazing, with only a few real flaws (like Kai Leng). The emotional points of the story hit really hard, and are some of my favourite gaming memories. I love the Citadel DLC for it's fanservice and it feels like the writers were having the time of their lives doing it.

I do enjoy how Renegade Shepard in ME3 is basically an unhinged sociopath. There's some choices that they can make that is completely unforgivable but it's great I always enjoy my Shepard to be a shades of grey character and I try not to commit too much one way or the other, but sometimes it's fun just to go full Renegade/Paragon.

Curtain Jerker

Status

They've announced Mass Effect 4. I just finished the trilogy and I'm so hyped! I still couldn't pass the last speech check in ME3. It was kind of sad, because I missed the requirements right at the beginning of the game.

Internet Favorite

Status

Quote Originally Posted by janglos199 View Post
    They've announced Mass Effect 4. I just finished the trilogy and I'm so hyped! I still couldn't pass the last speech check in ME3. It was kind of sad, because I missed the requirements right at the beginning of the game.
    Dude, they announced 'The Next Mass Effect' game way back on N7 Day in 2020, with a teaser trailer in December 2020!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information