​​​
    ​​​ ​​​​​

Ed's Favourite Threads

Ed Reviews Everything l Ed's Kings Road Journey

Ed's Top Matches of the Year Lists

Main Eventer

Status

Re: WWE 2021 Match YES/NO Thread

i watched this last night. Fuckin awesome stuff. yes!!!!
    Wrestling fans need to give Ring of Honor a chance again.

WAKE UP

Status

Nominate

Roman Reigns vs Rey Mysterio, Hell In A Cell - Smackdown 18/6

I've been out of the loop with WWE TV for a short while, so I have no idea why this match happened or why it was on free TV, but it was good stuff. Pretty incredible to see Rey flat-out dominate Reigns for the early part of the match. This type of affair isn't what you normally associate Rey with, but Vengeful Father Rey was awesome and brought the bad blood. The fact he can still add these feathers to his cap at this stage in his career is truly remarkable. The Reigns Awesome Bomb into the cage was fucking bananas and I am here for Reigns choking dudes out.

Somehow this got missed but I'll also nominate Reigns vs Cesaro from Backlash - not a flawless match but hit a lot of the right notes for your 'journeyman takes the champ to the limit in his biggest match' story. All the arm-stuff on Cesaro was strong and the visible gashes and bruises made it feel visceral. It was good in similar ways to the Reigns vs Bryan matches while still being different enough to not be derivative. Shame there was no live crowd because you know the place would have gone apeshit for Cesaro trying to break out of the choke for the finish.
    Talk about the best matches of the year here:

WWE | AEW | New Japan | Other

Vodka Drinking Admin

Status
      Country                    England

Reigns/Rey - NO. I thought this was alright but hard to shake the feeling we'd been royally short changed by cutting this from the PPV to a TV main event with commercial breaks. I think you enjoyed the opening much more than me Steve because Rey doing plunder doesn't do a lot for me and Reigns just looked weak and dumb for the first third of the match, I thought the table spot in particular was dorky. As it went on, we got more of what I was looking for, Reigns being dominate over Rey leading up to a couple of nice Rey hope spots before he dies. I'd go about 3.5 for it, which is under my limit for saying yes to.

Reigns/Cesaro - Big YES, thought Backlash in general was an enjoyable show but this was the in-ring quality MOTN. You're right, with a live crowd to cheer on Cesaro this would have been even better, maybe MOTY territory.
    ​​​
    ​​​ ​​​​​

Ed's Favourite Threads

Ed Reviews Everything l Ed's Kings Road Journey

Ed's Top Matches of the Year Lists

World Champion

Status
      Country                    United States

YES to Reigns/Cesaro but NO to Reigns/Mysterio.

Also, I'd NOMINATE Lashley vs. McIntyre vs. Strowman from Backlash. A pretty rare treat from the WWE main roster where three big, mobile dudes that have no problem bumping just tear the whole arena apart. It was pretty reminiscent of the big fatal fourway from SummerSlam 2017 but not exactly on that same level. Some of the bumps Braun was taking, specifically, were just asenine for a guy his size. In the end it did amount to basically a hoss spotfest but there's nothing wrong with that given you don't see them a ton and the following match would be a more traditional "epic" for the Universal Title.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information