Thread: What should the world title matches at WrestleMania be?

World Champion

Status
      Country                    United States

What should the world title matches at WrestleMania be?

It's January and we're rapidly approaching the Royal Rumble, which means it's almost officially WrestleMania season. As we reach this most joyous time of the year, we have ourselves two very dominant world champions on Raw and Smackdown; WWE Champion Drew McIntyre and Universal Champion Roman Reigns respectively. I say it's fair to assume at this point that these will be our world champs still once "the show of shows" rolls around and though there's been much speculation and gossip already in recent months about who they will be facing at WrestleMania, absolutely nothing is concrete at this point. Prevailing theories include Edge vs. Randy Orton for the WWE Championship and Roman Reigns vs. The Rock for the Universal Title, but again, there's nothing that would clearly indicate that these matches will end up happening.

The question is twofold here, really, but you can choose to only answer one or the other if you prefer. The first question is what do you think the world title matches at WrestleMania should be? And if you don't think WWE is going to go for your pitch, what do you think the world title matches at WrestleMania actually will be?

Internet Favorite

Status
      Country                    Canada

Re: What should the world title matches at WrestleMania be?

I can't see Rock coming back for a match with absolutely no crowd.

I barely watch WWE but from the glimpses I get of the shows from clips and results, it seems like McIntyre/Sheamus is a possibility and Roman/Bryan seems like the only money match Smackdown has.

[be more kind]

Status
      Country                    England

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    I can't see Rock coming back for a match with absolutely no crowd.
    Agreed, which is a shame because it's the most natural progression angle wise for Roman right now.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

World Champion

Status
      Country                    United States

I said in an earlier thread I totally don't buy Rock vs. Roman happening at Mania this year, maybe not ever.

On the SD side of things, now that Big E is IC Champ, I have a harder time seeing him being the guy to challenge Roman. My pick at this point would be Daniel Bryan. He's as big of a face as you can get for your new big bad top heel to beat on the grand stage and really gain some heat. On the flip side, it seems just as likely, if not more likely, that they try to do Roman vs. Goldberg at Mania again. If so, I think that has pretty much the opposite effect because I see much more people rooting for Roman in that situation.

The Raw situation is a little more random feeling. They surely won't do Sheamus vs. McIntyre as much as I wish they would. They've run McIntyre vs. Styles and moved on already, so that seems iffy. Orton is the only guy on Raw who's been pushed as hard as McIntyre but his feud with Fiend is still ongoing and kinda seems like it could go all the way to Mania at this rate. That narrows it down, for me, to two people. Keith Lee and Edge. I'd love to see either, as much as I might be alone in that as far as the posters on here are concerned with their disinterest in Edge.

The EST of WC

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

For the SD side of things, Bryan makes the most logical sense right now and I hope that's who they end up going with. It'll be a great match and Bryan is the perfect big game babyface for Roman to deal with. The only other option was Big E who seems unlikely now that he's the IC Champ.

As for the Raw side....Not sure what they do here. Keith Lee would be my ideal pick but I don't believe they'll give him the Mania title match just yet. As EC said, they've done the match with AJ already and seemingly moved on and as for Edge, I can't see them deviating from a match with Orton.....that kinda leaves us with.....Sheamus & The Fiend (dear god no). Given the choice between the two, Sheamus is a very easy pick.

WAKE UP

Status

Personally happy Rock isn't coming back for another one-off. If he does he can work a big match that isn't a main event.

Neither side has any great challengers waiting in the wings. Smackdown I would like to see Reigns vs Bryan, which they have teased over the last few months, or failing that Big E, though I think him winning the IC title may be the ceiling of his singles push.

For RAW, I'd actually be happy with a multi-man match as no singles match excites me that much. Drew vs Sheamus vs Lee vs Styles would be a lot of fun. I would be on board for a big Sheamus title match but I don't think the result would ever be in doubt and after years slumming it in the mid-card, Sheamus doesn't feel like a 'big' opponent for Drew to beat at WM.
    Talk about the best matches of the year here:

WWE | AEW | New Japan | Other

Thread Information