Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Football Manager 21

Status

Re: Football Manager 21

Nice work, gents. Some hella nice work!

Didn't play much last night. Got a couple of offers for the wonderkid striker Oviedo. He can leave for 20m but it might make me hesitate if I don't like how its structured. 30m and I'll buy him a plane ticket myself. Offers so far have been shitty (7.5m) and they didn't negotiate up enough (12-14m). But at least maybe this will mean that the new offers won't come in at 7.5m. I do kinda need to sell him this window as I promised him he could go.

Had 7 players come in at the start of the window on pre-arranged deals. Most are 16-18 year olds but the one Argie defender will play regularly and another is a 20yo defender who will provide some depth.

Still have over 10m to spend but no real immediate concerns to address. If / when my GK does go, I have a few veteran options i mind that I will go over until the kid I took from Lanus is ready.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

#PulisForArsenal

Status
      Country                    Scotland

2nd season at York9 is going pretty damn great, transfer-wise things were going amazing, managed to get Will Nightingale from AFC Wimbledon to sign for me. I'm playing him like 1.4k a week, which is a fuckton of money, but since he was available on a free, no way I was turning down that opportunity. Terran Campbell and Mark Gonzalez joined as my two strikers too, and at the end of the campaign they both have 16 goals each across all competitions.

Disappointed with our performance in the Canadian Championship, done well in the opening round, but lost 1-0 away and 2-0 at home to Forge, our rivals, with a fairly strong team both times as well, so that sucked. Wouldn't be the first time we lost to them either. Our league campaign was awesome, we won the spring season by a landslide, 34 points from a possible 42, 10 wins and 4 draws, with all of them being 0-0. Fall season was good, if not great, scraped some scrappy wins early on then near the end we nearly fucked it. We got pretty far in the CONCACAF League, so we dropped more points, but I was optimistic of winning the Fall Season as well as long as we beat Forge.

Smashed 5-0. At home. Fuck.

So now to top the Fall group I had to beat Pacific, who had won their last 3 games, and hope Calvary lose to bottom of the league Atletico Ottawa. Managed to come from behind to win 3-2 and luckily for us, Ottawa won 1-0 away to get us to top the Fall group as well. 8 wins, 4 draws and 2 losses, and we have Calgary in the final who we had a decent record against, but last game we drew 0-0 and we fluked a draw. They had an XG or 2.50 and we had 0.70, so they should've won.

Our CONCACAF League run has been the most fun for me, mainly because I didn't know North America had a Europa League thought I'd try and win it because I didnt see any reason why the other teams would be THAT much better than us, and for the most part I was right. We had a league break in August and Ryan Telfer was on international duty, so we had our best player out for the legs, but we still performed well I feel. Beat Real Espana and Municipal over 2 legs to get to the quarters, where I smashed Comunicaciones 3-0 home and away to book ourselves into the semis against Alajuelense.

October was such a bad month because we had Wednesday-Saturday games the full month basically because of the CONCACAF League, which included the 5-0 loss to Forge, so I had Alajuelense on the Wednesdays and Calvary on the Saturdays. Alajuelense I just played for the draw, I had conceded so many goals in the last few games I just wanted the clean sheet. Got it, a 0-0 bore fest where the only good chance was from our midfielder forcing a save from a shot 30 yards out. Calvary game was different, Cabrera, who had been poor most of the season but I wanted to rest Gonzalez so started him, got a goal in the 18th minute so I was buzzin with the away goal, then their striker Daniel Haber scored a brace in the 22 & 30th minute. Got a 2nd goal in the 84th by Terran Campbell, thank god too, because Haber got a hat trick to win Calvary the game 3-2. Buzzin to get 2 away goals, just need to win by a goal to win the final.

The board offered me a contract, but I'm gonna leave at the end of the season on a high, hopefully as a Double winning manager that'll get me some cred in Scotland I swear if I lose the CPL Final after topping both Sprig and Fall seasons Al be ragin

"Enough of this high & mighty bullshit, you're PISSING ME OFF!!!"
    Edgekechi
    TNA 2016: All The Fancy Tag Lines Were Taken.

Status

Awesome update, Chaddes. Love that you are giving the CPL a try. I've tempted since they added it but I always look at the clubs and infrastructure and then hesitate. Its my "home league" so I guess I need to at some point.

Not much happening at Rosario Central last. In early June 2023 and playing some friendlies. But transfer dealings are hotting up. About 1/5 of the first team are wanted. pretty much anyone can go. I have a slightly odd situation where I'm loaded up with players at some spots but not every spot, but I'm kinda waiting on more movement of players.

Weird dynamic I'm seeing is that my players are being REALLY fucking picky about where want to move. We are now the biggest club in Argentina and one of the biggest in South America, but you would think mid-level Spanish, English, and Italian clubs would be interesting to an Argentine player still playing in Argentina. But nope. They are like "fuck, nah, I good". Weird.

Had a weird bid sequence. I don't know if it was the end of the summer window in Mexico or something, but I got repeated bids from two Mexican clubs. Tigres and Tijuana specifically. One of them bid for a LB and the other for a RB. I tried to negotiate them up, didn't get as high as I wanted, so said no. Hit continue and I have bids for the same two players from the same two clubs, but reversed. I ended up accepting two of the bids but the players rejected the offers almost immediately. They indicated they weren't very interested when the bid came in, so fair play. But Mexico has almost always been a landing spot for good-but-not-quite-elite talent from South America so its a bit surprising. Really fun end to that sequence - the bid from Tigres for my backup LB got up to 9m. I accepted. He's a 25 year old who is pretty good but no potential to get better and personality is just Balanced. So fuck yeah. I immediately bid 8m for a 16yo LB newgen at Independinente that my scouts give 5 stars to. He agrees the move... and then my backup LB says fuck you to Tigres. Great.

the big fun is the Oviedo transfer. My star striker is now 20, a wonderkid, close to maxing out his potential, and I've promised him I'll sel him this summer. If he lands with a bigger club, he will transition right from wonderkid to Elite Striker when he hits 21. I'm pretty okay with him going but want some $$$. 30m seems reasonable. I turned down somewhere around 20m last window, so it makes complete sense that this window, the bids start at 7m for a wonderkid "worth" 6m. the list of clubs that want him ranges from 14 to 20 and includes the likes of Tottenham, Ajax, Porto, Atletico Madrid, Arsenal, Atalanta, Betis, Sevilla, RB Leipzig, Dortmund, and similar. Its basically everyone but the very elite of European clubs. But ever time a bid comes in, his agent either says he's not at all interested in that club or not interested but willing to listen. Upside is that he doesn't get upset when I try to negotiate up and reject the offer when they won't go high enough. I could risk-manage it and try to hang onto him unit late in the window, hoping the likes of Madrid, Barcelona, City, United, Liverpool, Juventus, or Bayern get interested. But realistically, those clubs probably won't offer more money and I run the risk of him getting agitated if he doesn't go this window. So trying to hold out for 40m is tempting but I kinda just want to move on. So I negotiated both Porto and Leipzig up to 30m up front, plus some add-ons, and I'm hoping he goes.

I've mentioned that the replacement is a Colombian newgen I signed on a free but he joins in December. I should be worried by the fact that I don't really have a pure striker in the squad at all. I have a whole bunch of 3-4 star "attacker" prospects. They almost all can play some combo of AMR/AML/AMC/ST. A couple of them could be used up top but have slight concerns - lowish Finishing or still quite young, etc. So its going to be a matter of seeing who stands out.

GK (sweeper keeper) - Riart is a real player who starts at the club. He's getting close to have maxed out his 3 star potential. He doesn't look like a great keeper but he's decent for the level and he performs well. Wanted by Valencia. I have a 5 star newgen coming in eventually but its a bit of a mess currently. My backups are a 19yo who hasn't played for the 1st team yet and that 16yo I took from Lanus. If Riart goes, I will find an oldhead and use tem while these younger ones season a bit.

DC (CD and BPD) - the newgen I stole in season 1 is not only a wonderkid but been capped by Argentina. He's not exactly a colossus in terms of attributes but he's good and he performs. The Chilean DC went to United for 10m. My #3 is Laso, an oldhead who is my captain and best mentor but I'd rather not rely on him as a #2. I sent the money from that sale to United to bring in the best (according to my scouts) Argie newgen CB and also a 20yo Paraguyan who was getting some interest from Europe. I also snagged a pair of newgen prospects who probably won't feature for the first team. Very well covered here.

LB (WB) - overstocked. I have my 1st choice LB, the backup that I would have happily sold to mexico, and now 17yo newgen 5 star prospect.

RB (FB) - also overstocked. Whereas Rosario start with almost of quality or potential at LB, they have 3 young RBs. All have developed and are in the first team. I was going to let one go on a free but decided to keep him. They are all similar - decent to good physicals, decent to good mentals, and middling technical abilities, with about 3 star potential. None will be great. I brought in a 4 star Argentina newgen who could start immediately but he only has 9 pace. And have a Paraguyan monster 5 star newgen coming down the road.

DM (DLP and SV) - went from a bit too many to a bit thin. Godoy (the LB turned DLP) is awesome and capped by Argentina. I don't have an ideal backup and SV is a mess. Tangaloa left in January and never really got replaced. The 16/17 yo who played a bunch due to injuries off on loan but the 4m buy i brought in looks tasty. But my next best just got a bid as I shut down for the night and there isn' much beyond that. I will basically turn into Pep and have Fbs playing DM.

AMC - my Chilean (real) and Bolivian (newgen) have this locked down

AMR / AML - loads of options. Too many. The Ecuadorian will start every match he can and I'm training to play on the left as well since he's quite two-footed. the Italian surpassed little Lo Celso (brother to the Spurs player). Lo Celso is like several real players who start at the club - good but not amazing potential, which isn't high enough for him to become a standout player and he's well over 20 now. And then there that glut of 16-18yos who have 4 star-ish potential. I've started to look to loan some of them out.

ST - I could probably dig up a good striker with the money that Oviedo will bring in, but I'd like to keep things clear for that Colombian. he will only be 18 but a monster... except in height. Unlike the Bolivian and Ecuadorian newgens, he has continued to develop and I won't be surprised if he arrives as a wondekid. So I'd prefer to hold tight with what I have. Maybe could target an oldhead but too many of them want prominent roles and I don't really want to make a declining 33yo with no pace a key player.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

After years up on years of experimenting with formations and almost always running my Viborg save as a 4-3-3, I ended up, through having very few options running a 4-4-2 (originially was a 4-4-1-1, but I wasn't ever really able to replace the attacking midfielder that was here on loan)

I liked what Papa posted, so I'm just gonna do my own

GK(GK-DE) Lucas Lund is the starter, and will be for the foreseeable future. Dude is a shot stopping monster, I can't trust him to distribute long, but we build out a little from the back before becoming more direct as we hit the midfield. Sebastian Garde Hagelskjær is the new backup after I let personal favorite Martin Hansen walk as his attributes were deteriorating too quickly Hagelskjær is just 18, but is getting closer to Lund's ability, it wouldn't surprise me if teams started to come in for him next off-season. Good news is, for some reason in every game since FM17, Viborg churns out Superliga level GK about once every three years, so when I lose one I'll get another.

DR(FB-Su) Frederik Nørrestrand, former wonderkid, but still a perfect fit for my team, and his potential still seems to be variable, and with solid playing time he got to be one of the better danish right backs still, backup is Simon Søndergaard, he can play both CB and RB, but his limited potential means he'll never be a full-time starter, but he's basically a perfect backup at either position. Nicolas Denninger is the 16-year old wonderkid I got from a youth intake, he's a good 3-4 years away, but I'll probably start bringing him in for first team opportunities when Nørrestrand leaves for a bigger club in a few years.

RCB(CD-De) Simon Graves is the starter, purchased from a relegated Randers FC, is a good passer and capable defender, but most of all he has good composure and good decisions, so he provides some stability. Can slot into the midfield in case of injury, but hasn't spent much time there in his one year. Backup is Niclas Will, 19-year old brought in on a free from Esbjerg a few years back and has developed much in the same way Søndergaard has, except better at being a centre-back than a right back. When Graves leaves to get more money, which I assume he will in a year or two, Will should be more than capable of starting.

LCB(BPD-De) Mads Bech Sørenson for a ball-playing defender, he is the least athletic bpd I've ever had, but he's somehow a monster. Is the club record signing having joined last year from Cardiff for €1M(still €300k in incentives he could hit) There's no chance he's staying here and has had bigger clubs sniffing around even before he signed his contract with us. His backup is Daniel Bleick, an 18-year old centreback signed from SønderjyskE on a free. Looks to be a solid, if unspectacular steady hand if he pans out. Extremely brave though, so we'll be able to get stuck in like we need to.

LB(WB-Su) Jeff Garcia, a USA regen LB signed from Seattle for €125k, now a full USA international, and just an absolute hoss of a LB, Batted off admirers this off-season with a new contract, but he has a release clause of €5m, and I'm sure he'll leave sooner rather than later. Brought in Viktor Kristiansen from IFK Göteborg for €900k because I believed that Garcia was as good as gone. Garcia is 20, Kristiansen is 21, and I have a regen from my first youth intake that is right behind them out on loan at Kristiansund at 19 that will probably take the backup job once Garcia leaves. Tried to run with Ottosen at LB, but at his then age of 17, it was clear he was not ready.

RM(W-At) Deep position, Mads Aaquist is the starter, but he's 29, and in the final year of his contract. Francois Pons and Jon Einarsson are on his heels for that starting job, and one of them will win it as I don't see myself re-signing Aaquist unless he is willing to take a reduced role. Pons is my typical winger of yore, versatile, two footed, naturally athletic, but some questionable mental traits. Einarsson is decent look, but I think his future is that player that Papa talked about who is just 'good enough' at everything, but excels at nothing.

CM(BWM-De) Oh captain, my captain, Jeppe Grønning is my leader in the middle, and the dude that just runs the place. Let me be very clear when I say that at 33, Jeppe is not very good attributes wise. That said, he continually turns up in the biggest ways in the biggest matches, and is solid everywhere else. The future was meant to be Jakub Holdt, now 22 years old and vice-captain to Jeppe, but Jeppe just signed a three-year extension, and Jakub may want to move on for a guaranteed starter slot before Jeppe's time is up. Jeppe is also at 330 league appearances, and I'm very tempted to see if I can run him enough to get him to 400 before he retires. Club legend Jakub Glerup has 415 league appearances as the all-time record holder, but if Jeppe plays 2.6 seasons out of the next 3 he has left he could pass that mark.

CM(BBM-Su) The American AF position. Christian Cappis holds down the fort as a do-it-all left-footed midfielder. Originally thought I might try and train Cappis as Grønning's successor, but after signing for free from Hobro(is signing with Brøndby in real life) he's really taken the role and made it his own especially after Sofus Berger got sold to Hoffenheim for €1m. Cole Bassett signed on a free from Colorado Rapids and has often played the part of a super sub, whenever he starts though, he is one of a handful of players that I've pulled more than once for first-half performances before halftime. So not very reliable. Also unfortunately this is my weakest position, as I have no one currently in the pipeline to replace Cappis if he leaves and Bassett continues to suck if given the start.

LM(W-Su) Tobias Bech won't be here for much longer I assume, the absolute catalyst for our offensive production, never gets enough credit, but after donning the 11 shirt in our first year in the Superliga he's consistently been the first or second name on the teamsheet. Just signed Nikolai Laursen from FC Emmen to be his primary backup as Bech does get tired often with our fixture congestion. Funnily enough Bech's backup has been an absolute rotating door of players, In my four years he's been deputized by Younes Bakiz, Raheem Edwards, and Juan Castillo before Laursen, but all of those dudes never did wel in his stead so it was easy to move on from all of them.

ST(DLF-Su) Ismael Diaz is the man here, originally signed to play as a shadow striker, turned out he was just better as a DLF. The media will talk endlessly about his goal droughts, but will be remarkably silent about his assist numbers. His primary backup is Emmanuel Sabbi. Sabbi had joined us on loan from OB after their relegation two years back, spent a year back with OB and signed back here on a free after OB was relegated again. Sabbi plays much different than Diaz as he's more likely to shoot, but is still good at setting people up. Kasper Lorentzen is our youth academy product here, he played well last year, and is now on loan to OB as I assume Diaz will be leaving soon.

ST(AF-At) The Arsenal position, after trying early in the first off-season I was rebuffed many times by Arsenal for Tyreece John-Jules, but near the end of the window, they(probably reluctantly) let him come here on loan, since then he's been back every year, In his fourth year with the club he's made his mark with 82 appearances and 50 goals. Joining him in the rotation is former teammate Folarin Balogun, signed on a free. I assume at some point Arsenal will stop letting John-Jules be here, but I'm gonna keep trying to get him to stay for as long as I can, Balogun will be a good replacement. Jonas Hansen is our top prospect here, he's already got good enough stats that I could be playing him every now and then, but I want to win, and can't deal with his overall inconsistency.

Zoom E | Szumi | Old Man

Status
      Country                    Poland

I still am going to rebuild Dortmund in a save, but created a spin-off save since Barcelona offered me their vacant job. They just barely finished 4th in 20/21 and then finished 5th in 21/22 so I'm taking over with them in the Europa League. However, Messi stayed at the club so I still have him (even though he's not actually had amazing numbers), plus the other old guard of Pique, Alba, and Busquets.

Despite keeping Messi, Jesus Christ their transfers have been TERRIBLE. They sold Ansu Fati to Tottenham for €96m in summer 21, and they already had pre-arranged transfers of Frankie De Jong to PSG for what's going to be €114m and Dembele on a free to Juve. But they had no problems spending €54m on an aging Mahrez, and a combined €80m for Naby Keita and Ox. Even as a Liverpool fan I don't want them!

Between the De Jong deal and selling off aging guys like Mahrez (at a €9m loss) and Pjanix, while also offloading outcasts like Emerson, Matheus Fernandes, Todibo, Oscar Mingueza, and Javi Martinez, it gave me a lot of money to spend. Ended up spending £50m overall because of signing a prospect of two late on, but rectified the awful decision to bring back Fati to the club, signed Declan Rice to replace Busquets since he's somehow amazing in FM, as well as Gabigol and young Marcus Leonardo from Santos. I 100% tried to sign Haaland, but the fucker chose Champions League and reigning EPL Champion Liverpool over the prestige and money of Barca. Cunt :P

Even with sending a host of people on loan, the squad is just so damn huge. But it'll be fun to have one last magic Messi season. He was 17 & 7 in 35 apps in 20/21 and only 13 & 9 in 32 in 21/22. He's already at 7 & 5 in 6 appearances this season in La Liga.

Still feels dirty being Barca.

WCW 99: The Fingerpoke of Doom
    Now Playing in BTB Section!

All About That Ace

Status
      Country                    Canada

You have me very tempted to start a chill Barca file.

Zoom E | Szumi | Old Man

Status

It's definitely a weird and imbalanced squad, especially because of their transfers. You have 4 capable full backs in Dest, Roberto, Alba, and Firpo. They have way too many CBs: Pique, Lenglet, Umtiti, Ararujo, and then they bought Sule from Bayern. Umtiti is the worst and on an expiring contract, but will not go and is loved by the squad so they got pissed I wanted to sell him.

Rice and Busquets is amazing for CDM because Busquets can still be quality even as his physical stats decline. But then, it's just a hodge podge because there's so many players in the squad and so many of them are versatile to play anywhere, especially Pedri who I'll start as an 8 in a 4231, but then also at RW as well. Ilaix Moriba can play 8 or 10, Fati LW or RW. Griezmann will play anywhere, so trying to figure out the best line up is taking time.

This is my best effort at a depth chart:

GK: Ter Stegen, Neto
    RB: Dest, Roberto
    RCB: Araujo, Pique, Sule
    LCB: Alba, Firpo

RCM/#6: Rice, Busquets
    LCM/DLP: Pedri, Keita, Moriba

RW: Griezmann, Pedri/Fati, Messi/Gabigol
    LW: Fati, Coutinho, Pedri/Griezmann/Marcos Leonardo
    10: Messi, Moriba, Riqui Puig

ST: Gabigol, Leonardo, Messi/Griezmann

I love the versatility right now, especially since the Europa League I'll be making 8-11 changes every match, especially with an easy group. I haven't even included Ox in that depth chart, and I have Francisco Trincao who can play LW/RW, Alex Collado who can play anywhere in the 2 or 3 both on loan, plus goodness knows how many promising starlets in the B side (who were double promoted up to Liga 2) and U19s.

My plan, if I stay with Barca and don't get bored, will probably be to make it as many Barca kids and homegrowns as possible, with only a few big signings of my favorite real life players. But I'll probably get bored super fast because it's too easy and go do my fun Brazil game I want to do with wild formations.

Status

Loving these updates, gents. Keep em coming!

So squad has changed a bit. After selling my starting SV, I also accepted an offer for the primary backup to both DM spots. Like I mentioned, the youngster was already loaned out but I didn't want to rely purely on the other newgen for the SV spot. I did some heavy scouting through Argentina. The problem is that there aren't that many well-rounded and physical DMs (or MCs who can be retrained) in Argentina. Either real or newgen. So I figured I'd use a foreign player spot. Brazil produces a ton of players who make great Segundo Volante DMs. I ended up paying the 16m buyout for a 5-star newgen from Palmeiras. 19 years old so he joins immediately and already a wonderkid. Physicals are strong, mentals are good for his age, but the technical skills do need to improve a bit. Still, he's done well and while we won't quadruple our money on him, he will soon be one of the best midfielders outside of Europe, so he will still generate a good fee. And in the short-term, he makes us better on the pitch.

We very much downgraded at striker, but I ended up spending like 1.5m on a 19yo Argentina newgen who had decent skills and a bit of potential. he's done okay, but we get plenty of goals from all of the front 4 plus the SV. Unlike the duo who moved to Man City, Oviedo is doing okay at Dortmund.

We had another "golden generation" youth intake, but its more 3.5 star prospects. Better than nothing, but I've been dumping everything I can into the facilities. River Plate got a monster youth intake, based on my scouts assessment. Managed to steal one of their players but the 4 star guy, not the 5 star ones.

Into November of 2023. That Colombian kid joins soon and should be great fun to develop.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

All About That Ace

Status
      Country                    Canada

Have you guys played long enough in the UK to figure out how to work the transfer system with all the work permit limitations. Should I just focus on academy growth because of how obscenely overpriced everything is or is there still a reliable way to get cheap young players who can become Premier League quality? Playing as Southampton which were the 2nd club to get me into FM (1st was Chelsea, sorry) and I'd dig getting a long term file going for once this year.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Cuddlywhiskers View Post
    Have you guys played long enough in the UK to figure out how to work the transfer system with all the work permit limitations. Should I just focus on academy growth because of how obscenely overpriced everything is or is there still a reliable way to get cheap young players who can become Premier League quality? Playing as Southampton which were the 2nd club to get me into FM (1st was Chelsea, sorry) and I'd dig getting a long term file going for once this year.
    Going by memory here, but...

I don't think the WP rules really change... They just apply more widely. So signing someone from France or Germany or Norway becomes the same as it was to sign someone from South America. You can still sign wonderkids - I've sold two of mine from Rosario Central to Man City and they have gotten WPs. Neither were internationals, but the wage they get paid is a factor. And again by memory, but I think paying the prospect a pretty good wage is one of the ways to ensure they get a WP. Its how you see the big English club still load up their reserves with wonderkids from outside the UK - they are paying them like 25K per week. Which of course doesn't work as easily for a club that has to count their pounds a bit more closely.

focusing on your own youth is a good idea and a strong way to make money - the English premium is real. And you can scout the whole of the UK. You will have good young players in the lower leagues, in Scotland, Wales.... TNS always seems to get some. Crusaders. In my one test save (where I wasn't managing), a 176 PA (out of 200, so potentially world class) English GK was generated at a tiny club, ended up at Crusaders on a free until he was 19 and he was finally picked up by Leeds. Those kind of "from nowhere" wonderkids happen and its just a matter of scouting hard to get em.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

Not a huge amount has changed but I update none-the-less. Into spring 2024. I have two 5-star newgen wonderkids coming in the summer, so that's exciting. Currently about 1/2 of my squad is Wanted by European clubs so no idea how many I will lose in the summer or who.

The Colombian wonderkid striker arrived and has immediately become first choice. He hasn't been lethal yet. I'm sure he will be - he has the skillset. But it takes strikers time to settle and start scoring, I find. He's putting them away, just not every single match and not in bunches.

Not much else. Sold my veteran (25ish) LB so I can play the 17yo and my AssMan defaults to putting my DLP there since it was his original position. But at least DM hasn't been a weakness since I brought in some reinforcements.

Financially, I've reached a point where money doesn't much matter. I mean, we only have $50,000,000 or so in the bank, but the transfer budget is like $35,000,000 and we have around $200K per week in free wage budget. I'm getting close to having maxed out facilities - I think i can do one or maybe two more upgrades of the youth facility. when I sell a star player, i can buy a replacement newgen who is probably reasonably well developed for under 10m, and that's assuming I don't have an in-house replacement, in which case I can probably spent $3m on a 16yo newgen. So I really don't need to max out value on transfers.... but I find it hard to accept low offers and feel like I'm giving my players away.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

#PulisForArsenal

Status

2nd Leg of the CONCACAF League semi final couldn't have gone any better I don't think. Was expecting it to be really difficult, but we battered them for most of the match, was only a matter of time before we scored. Scored a penalty and my midfielder scored 3 minutes later from 30 yards out to seal the win. The Calvary game was HARD though, I started the game how I usually do, attacking directly because we're at home, but they scored twice in the first 15 minutes, but were called back for offside, so I had to switch to defensive. Kept soaking up pressure but our defence was amazing and eventually, our star striker Campbell scored from a Rory Delap-esqe long throw from our left back and Campbell headed it in. kept the game quiet and won the league on away goals

Finally had the CONCACAF League final against Saprissa, for most of the first leg it was really uneventful tbh, literally I thing there was 2 highlights the entire first half and there was no highlights at all in the 2nd half until the last 10 minutes. Saprissa scored in the 84th minute, so I thought we were done and had to win away, but then out of nowhere they gave away a pen, we scored from that, then Campbell got injured so I had to use my sub striker, Mark Gonzalez for the last 5 minutes, and he scored 2 headers to make it 3-1. So aye, the last 10 minutes were mental

luckily Campbell wasn't injured badly, there was a full month wait for the 2nd leg, and he was out for 2 weeks, so was all good in the end. Felt like Gonzalez earned a start though, so I benched Cabrera for the last leg and just tried to hang on to the 2 goal advantage. We actually started off strong, most of the first half was us trying to long ball it in and shoot from outside the area, and we managed to earn a penalty in the 36th minute. Telfer, our Trinidad winger who's been great from the spot all season, took it like shit, but we earned a corner from it, and our 33 year old CB, Gege Soriola, scored, so in the end we're 4-1 up on aggregate so whatever I guess. 2nd half they battered us though, was REALLY worried they were gonna start scoring so I lowered the defensive line and just defended. They scored from a belter of a goal from outside the box, my keeper just didn't move and I was ragin. they got another goal in the 87th minute, but luckily that was the last highlight and we won the CONCACAF League 4-3

I was gonna leave, but I'm really enjoying playing in Canada for now, and I like the storyline I've built in my head of this club with 5000 seat stadium, who's main rivals have a 14000 stadium, becoming the dominant force in Canada and raking in awww the prize money. I'll leave at some point, hopefully to a Italian club or German club in the 2nd tier, but right now I'm happy just OPing Canada for now
    Last edited by Chaddes; 04-05-2021 at 12:40 PM.

Edgekechi

Zoom E | Szumi | Old Man

Status

Definitely struggling to be invested in any game right now. I switched from my Barca save back to Dortmund before the World Cup even hit, and Dortmund I'm not super invested in that either. I'm at the end of January '23 there and I'm annoyed I think both with the inevitable dip in form from last season's Invincible record breaking success and clubs not even coming in with offers for Haaland or Sancho! Part of the fun of Dortmund is losing your stars and bringing in the next crop, but I can't do that when my guys won't go! Even when I tried to offer them w/o transfer listing them, no one will even make an offer that meets their market value!

Also, fuck Angelino! I signed him to replace Guerreiro after I at least got to sell ONE big money player. I "broke" a promise to improve my goalkeepers because apparently signing Onana from Ajax right before him doesn't count. So first he's mad there and wants out right away, but obviously, no. Then he's not settled so he wants a new signing to help him. I literally signed his brother to be a part of Dortmund II and at the end of the transfer window he's pissed again because I didn't bring someone in to help him. I brought in your damn brother!

Part of me wants to do a Santos save, part of me wants to load up the 21.4 database and start up with the Union, but for some reason not getting super invested in the South America game and MLS gets so retarded so fast in MLS with all the manager firings and crazy turnover of players as well just puts me off.

Status

Curious what kind of Canadian talent you've managed to bring through, Chaddes? I always love seeing class Canadian newgens, but they typically come through in England or sometimes Germany in my experience.

I feel you, Zoom. Got the same save bounce issues myself. I left off the Rosario Central save after getting annoyed at so many shitty transfer offers. The urge to see the 5-star prospects develop into world class player is kinda drained away. I didn't do anything rash like deleting it, but I gave in to the urge and started a save with Blackburn, since I've had that temptation to manage in England again for a bit. And then I proceeded to do nothing with it. Basically didn't play for a week. Spent more time in Out of the Park Baseball (I usually play both at the same time). Just didn't have enough urge to go through the normal new-save setup process.

This weekend, I started up with my normal Brazilian club, Atletico Mineiro. they signed Hulk, which alone makes them interesting. They also have a 5 star prospect to start out with. But I'm just not set on them. Problem is that nothing else interests me as much or more...

Options

Atletico Mineiro - already a big club and have a new stadium opening in late 2022 (had to edit that in since SI KEEPS FUCKING FORGETTING). Fairly easy to succeed with. Money to spend and its laughably easy to steal newgens from other Brazilian. also fun to poach from the rest of South America. But.... will probably feel too similar to Rosario and from an easier starting point.

Lokomotiv Moscow - a go-to save for me in FM but I haven't done it in a couple versions. Just not loving the increased foreign-player restrictions in Russia

Blackburn - appealing for multiple reasons, but dealing with the English Work Permit issues, the predatory nature of most of the Prem and all of that... just not for me at the moment.

Argentinos Juniors - smaller club than Rosario but they start with more prospects. Maybe at some point but not so soon after Rosario

Central Cordoba - I can't really explain why this club appeals to me. They are a small top division club in Argentina, based out of (you guessed it) Cordoba. Not real history. No great prospects or really good players. Little money. I did steal one pretty good newgen from there in my Rosario save but I think why they caught my eye is that I've been watching regular highlights from Argentina on YouTube and they stood out in a few matches. Longer-term project as it would take a few years of building with almost no funds. Not sure I wanna have such a focus on money and want to do Argentina again so soon, but... maybe....

Australia - think I've bitched about this before. Wellington Phoenix appeal the most but they can't get into any continental competition. Brisbane Roar just don't interest me enough. Plus the financials of the A-League feel a bit too MLS-y to me.

Mexico - I've mentioned before that my go-to club in Mexico was Lobos BUAP before they were bought out, taken over, and shut down by another club for their top division spot (Mexico is weird, man). I have another decent save there but getting a 2nd division club pro
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

#PulisForArsenal

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    Curious what kind of Canadian talent you've managed to bring through, Chaddes? I always love seeing class Canadian newgens, but they typically come through in England or sometimes Germany in my experience.
    From what I've seen, the newgens are fine, but they aren't gonna light up any league outside of the CPL. I'm pretty bad at developing talent, I'm more of a sign a shitload of free transfers kind of guy, the best Canadian newgen I've seen actually from the league is being linked to Championship & 2nd division clubs in Europe.

I say go with Mexico, it looks like a weird and fun league to try

Edgekechi

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Chaddes View Post
    From what I've seen, the newgens are fine, but they aren't gonna light up any league outside of the CPL. I'm pretty bad at developing talent, I'm more of a sign a shitload of free transfers kind of guy, the best Canadian newgen I've seen actually from the league is being linked to Championship & 2nd division clubs in Europe.

I say go with Mexico, it looks like a weird and fun league to try
    Pretty much what I figured. Would love to see more quality Canadians, but I guess loads of them coming through is hardly realistic.

I actually fired up a save with Tijuana just to check things out. And immediately spotted an issue. No reserve squads. The two saves I did with clubs that had only the 1st team and youth squad but no reserves, it ended up being a pain in the ass. It was impossible to keep the whole squad match fit. It does depend somewhat on the rules involves - a youth league that would allow overage players to play matches for match fitness would negate that. I think Mexico does have reserve sides setup as B teams, which is fine, but they are all in th 3rd division which can't be activated so they won't play actual matches.

America CF is the same and so are the others I looked at. If I was dead-set on doing a save in Mexico, that probably wouldn't dissuade me. But since I'm not.... it might.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Zoom E | Szumi | Old Man

Status

Oof, I just had my most gutwrenching fixture in FM. Champions League SF, away to Liverpool, down 0-2 from the home leg. Andy Robertson scored inside 90 seconds. 0-3 down. Erling Haaland then scores in the 3' & 10' with an 18th minute penalty making it 1-3 on the night, 3-3 aggregate. Salah lands a penalty in the 24', but Robbo sees red in the 28', with Jadon Sancho scoring a minute later to make it 4-4 on away goals.

Joe Gomez came on for Robbo after the red card and proceeds to score his first ever Liverpool goal so it's now 3-4 (5-4) Liverpool. Went all attack in the second half. Alexander Isak TWICE was through on goal. First one wide, second one the CB made the last ditch tackle as he rounded the keeper. Meunier then had a great chance but put it off the post. Couldn't get the last goal we needed, and we're out of the Champions League.

Never expected to get the result after the awful home defeat, but yeah, that hurt! I thought we were going to go it. The QF were crazy too this year. I went up 4-0 home to PSG in the first leg, Mbappe pulled one back, and then Reyner was sent off in the 72'. They scored two on me so it ended 4-3 on the night, barely surviving with the win, and PSG getting 3 away goals so I couldn't lose the return leg. Neymar then scored right before halftime so I'm looking at elimination. I brought Isak on at HT, and scored right away in the 47' then set up Haaland in the 54' to go ahead. We held on, obviously. But Isak's excellent performance in that second leg never materialized against Liverpool as he should've saw us through.

This "3rd" season (first one was just the last half) has definitely been a step down, but that's to be expected when Season 1 was winning the Champions League, and Season 2 I shattered every record possible pretty much while going Invincible. Season 3 I wanted to be without at least one of Haaland and Sancho, but no offer ever came frustratingly. That will definitely change in the summer because Haaland is going one way or another since he will only have 12 months left on his contract. Every day I get posts about them being linked to big money moves.

Didn't defend the title well at all. Dropped points in poor fashion too much, including several home losses, most infuriatingly. Only 2 matches left and Gladbach just sealed the title as they're on 78 points to my 71. 5 draws and 5 losses in 32 matches was just too much, which is shitty because Gladbach is my last match of the season, at home, so could've been a great title decider if I could've done better. Second half of the season alone I lost home to RB Leipzig in a sucker punch undeserved super late winner (TWICE this season I lost 1-0 home on stoppage time winners), an awful 2-1 loss to bottom half Ausburg, and only drew Schalke in the derby. Too many chances blow. At least I have the German Cup final to hopefully finally win!

Erling Haaland also might break his Bundesliga record. After scoring 46 goals (14 pens, mind you) in 31 matches, he's on 44 goals in 32 matches (but only 8 pens this time). Maybe he can score 3 in his final 2 matches on his way out.

#PulisForArsenal

Status

FM seems to be more prone to mental scoreline this year than before, during my Arsenal save I'd go from battering everyone 2/3-0 to being smashed 6-0 at home seen a few mad scorelines online as well

Edgekechi

Tag Team Specialist

Status
      Country                    Wales

I have joined the FM21 comunity after being pestered by my mate to join him and some gamer friends of his for weekly online sessions.
    We're in the Ervidise and I have been granted the honor of managing Groningen. Arjen Robben, cutting in from the right, is my saviour.

#PulisForArsenal

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Thunder View Post
    I have joined the FM21 comunity after being pestered by my mate to join him and some gamer friends of his for weekly online sessions.
    We're in the Ervidise and I have been granted the honor of managing Groningen. Arjen Robben, cutting in from the right, is my saviour.
    Is he still goin? Fuckin hell

Edgekechi

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread Information