Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Dark Side of the Ring

[be more kind]

Status
      Country                    England

Re: Dark Side of the Ring

I hate to say it, but I'm not sure how many of those would attract mainstream audience. Sweeney is a good example, would anyone but the hardcore fan tune into an episode about him?

Heroes Of Wrestling is a great shout though

Sent from my Nokia 2.3 using Tapatalk

VINTAGE POSTER!

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Yeah, with Sweeney unless their research digs up a lot more to his story that we didn’t know, I feel like that would just be an hour of “he was so talented, if only he got the right help, such a loss, etc”.

People's Champion

Status

Oh of course, The only reason I mentioned some lesser known ones as well was I remembered in an interview the producers even mentioned. That they was hoping to be able to do some more lesser known stories this season. In the meantime we'd of course have episodes like I presume Chyna, Rick Rude/Curt Hennig, Muhammad Hassan and possibly even Eddie Guerrero which still would draw in many viewers.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Oh of course, The only reason I mentioned some lesser known ones as well was I remembered in an interview the producers even mentioned. That they was hoping to be able to do some more lesser known stories this season. In the meantime we'd of course have episodes like I presume Chyna, Rick Rude/Curt Hennig, Muhammad Hassan and possibly even Eddie Guerrero which still would draw in many viewers.
    There won't be a Chyna episode due to the Vice TV doc.

I'm unsure about an Eddie episode since they covered him a bit in the Benoit episode.

Why Rude/Hennig? Yeah, they died prematurely, but their stories were just two Minnesota boys who found success, dealt with some injuries, did some drugs, and died sooner than they should have. Not the tragedy of The Von Erichs, the mainstream awareness of Benoit/Owen, or uniqueness of Chris Adams.

Hassan seems like a pretty unremarkable episode solely because Hassan had a clean career/life, but was involved in one scandal of an angle and then quickly left the business. How do you fill up sixty minutes with just that?

With ratings dropping a good amount in season 3 compared to season 2, season 4 could be their final season. Outside of going after Vince McMahon directly, I don't know if Dark Side has any topics left that could be a ratings hit. Covering Marty Jannetty's fuck ups would be a fine mid tier episode as well.

Backyarder

Status

How about DSOTR doing an episode on Dick Murdoch?

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonE View Post
    How about DSOTR doing an episode on Dick Murdoch?
    I think a Murdoch episode would depend entirely on whether or not there's any juicy stories involving him. If it's just going to be "Murdoch was a racist who was almost certainly part of the KKK", it's going to be a pretty thin episode. Talking heads may be a difficult situation as well. Murdoch's prime was probably in the early to mid 70s, but there's not a ton of guys left from that era. Maybe I'm just bias because the most obvious talking head, Dusty Rhodes, has been gone for years.

Curtain Jerker

Status

Was it ever confirmed Murdoch was a KKK member? Or was it just a rumor that never had definitive proof?

L.M. Menthol Master

Status
      Country                    United States

Considering who the people are who have claimed Murdoch to be a member of The Klan, I'd say it's more then likely true. When you've got Tito Santana, Rocky Johnson, and Dusty Rhodes relaying a bad experience with the guy, it's hard not to believe them. Dusty said to Alex Greenfield, a former SmackDown head writer, that one time, Murdoch threw a Klan party he was involved in without telling him what it was. I live in a small, mostly white town in Maryland and have friends who've sadly experienced the same thing, so I'd say yes, he was a member. The suprise parties are a way to slowly introduce "potential members" into their beliefs. Doubt he'll get a full episode based on it though. An episode on the racism and bigotry in wrestling is possible, considering how much of it there is, and how much of it still goes on to this day.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyTheBrain View Post
    Was it ever confirmed Murdoch was a KKK member? Or was it just a rumor that never had definitive proof?
    It's the Klan. How much "Definitive proof" is there for anyone being in there? It's not as if a bunch of wrestlers have been accused of being secret Klan members, so when Murdoch is accused of being in the KKK by a handful of wrestlers, it seems like a safe bet that he was to me.

Mid-Card Champion

Status

Also, I believe it was JR who said that he showed him his Klan membership card. Not sure why anyone would make that up.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by BD22 View Post
    Also, I believe it was JR who said that he showed him his Klan membership card. Not sure why anyone would make that up.
    The very idea of them having cards is so ridiculous that it has to be true.

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

People's Champion

Status

Plus there's that story about him inviting Tony Atlas to a meeting as a "rib"

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread Information