Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: NJPW General Discussion Thread

Jobber

Status
      Country                    Canada

Re: NJPW General Discussion Thread

I love Jay White. His most recent run starting from Wrestle Kingdom and the subsequent promos that went with it should have been the catalyst to something great for him, but instead they put him in the NEVER division. I know it was to feud with Tana which isn't a downgrade at all, but they should have built him up using that awesome start and I think that it could have worked as both a face or a heel depending on what they needed at the top.

Urgent exit required.

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    EVIL was a midcarder even below his own tag team partner for like 3 years. He wouldn't have been in the top 10 pushed stars at the time. If he was going to be there they should have built him up much better and the gimmick was just complete death. They're clearly backing away and it's good that they did because he was significantly hurt.

White I think is a terrible wrestler with his dancing offense, but he at least has been consistently pushed and a project for a long time, regardless of if it's taken or not. Also you're right that the Dojo mentality played a big part but that doesn't mean they're the right pieces. Put good guys in position to succeed and they will.
    Yeah the dojo stuff doesnt make it right but they arent going to bury themselves at the same time. Neglecting your dojo graduates and pushing others does that in their view and probably fans too. I get it.

Also I love Jay White too and the NEVER booking wasnt a step down at all. The Tana feud and story is well told imo.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    China

My point is I hate Jay White but at least understand why they keep going with him with their outdated way of thinking that is already causing them major problems.

Even with that thinking EVIL should never been anywhere near the world title, especially in the context of how little they built him up and when they decided to undercut Naito.

Also the Jay/Tana feud wasn't good at all and I agree with Draevyn that the promo should have been a catalyst for a change. But even moreso than that a feud around calling Tana fat was just stupid and Ice cold to the crowd. Also yet another below average draw with Jay in the main event that got doubled the following night, this time against Tanahashi.

Urgent exit required.

Status

Most Japanese promotions have the same mindset with this sort of stuff unless they are left with no choice. DG's top guys are always gonna be DG guys. NOAH's top guys are always gonna be NOAH guys and so on. NJPW almost has the opposite problem from NOAH way back then in that they have nobody to push right now whilst NOAH just didn't bother properly pushing their people.

I've already said before I think the whole pandemic situation was weird and they probably took the chance to re-heat EVIL knowing that it was of little consequence really. Not like they missed out on serious business because of EVIL. Didn't like him as champ either and he is useless but SANADA was the second choice probably and he would have been even worse.

I mean it's been like 5 months - who's to say things still aren't building for Jay White?

He just took the belt from a Tanahashi that was hellbent on making the belt mean something. Why can't he turn around and mock him and say that he will do what Tanahashi intended to do? The feud wasn't centered around Tana being called fat (come on) but that was obviously White making his confidence and feelings clear towards Tanahashi. The feud was/is about the fact that Tanahashi is on a downswing and isn't this brave courageous lion of a champion that he used to be. He had to tap Jay White out in a tag match first before ACCEPTING his challenge. When has Tana ever done that? Who has ever put Tana in a place where he needs to KNOW that he can beat them before accepting the challenge? That's what made it interesting to me. I was also super invested in the kayfabe winner (wanted Tana to win really badly) so that probably helped too. I also just like Jay White and I think he is top tier heel given the reactions he can get - and it's not go away heat imo.

Are we talking about Dontaku draws!? I highly doubt Shingo vs Ospreay doubled White vs Tanahashi in draw rate. Not sure if that's what you meant though. Certainly will hold my hands up if Shingo/Ospreay doubled them.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Vodka Drinking Admin

Status
      Country                    England

Ospreay and Bea reportedly breaking up recently adds another wrinkle to this Ospreay story.

As for what New Japan should do next, Shingo is right fucking there. Rather than mess around for 2 years because the plan wasn't to make him a main eventer until he finally pins Ospreay (or not even have him as top champ material because he's approaching 40 and was not a NJPW dojo guy), break away from the tired Gedo booking and make him the new champ. The other options feel like dull reruns (Okada, , Naito, Ibushi), or are down right bad (SANADA). I imagine they go with Okada because they probably wanted Okada Vs Naito again at the dome, this time for a different belt.

Jay White stinks, especially when he's asked to go 30-40 minutes which is the law for some reason with main events in this company.
    ​​​
    ​​​ ​​​​​​

Ed's Favourite Threads

Ed Reviews Everything l Ed's Kings Road Journey

Ed's Top Matches of the Year Lists

Urgent exit required.

Status

Lol if Ospreay dumped the belt because Bea sacked him.

I actually really want Shingo as world champion. Is he actually signed to NJPW proper or is he freelancing like Ibushi was years ago? That really might be the only thing that could be stopping him from actually being on the right side of the title picture. It sucks the NJPW trueborn shit works against him but I guess that's just the way it is. They clearly value some form of loyalty though so if he was signed... he might get something eventually. Naito vs Okada is probably the second option behind Ibushi vs Okada for me when I think about it and how you've put it. Naito has no real heat for me atm so a surprise win for him could be welcome. They might just have to go to the Okada well in general for the time being.

Jay White rules fuck all y'all

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Jobber

Status

Quote Originally Posted by RainShaker View Post
    Jay White rules fuck all y'all
    Hey! I'm with you! Jay White Fan Club Unite!

I like Shingo but I don't think I want to see him in the World Title picture. I did love him in the NEVER division though. His battles with Suzuki and Jeff Cobb are the type of big hoss shit that I want to see from him, especially coming from the Junior Heavyweight division to those type of wars. Bring in some more powerhouse type guys and let them go to war with Shingo.

As for Ospreay, I feel like that's the narrative that people who hate him want to go with but it's no secret that he's reckless with his own body and he's had some pretty serious neck injuries.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    China

I don't blame Ospreay at all, even if that is the reason. The truth is we don't know how he is handling things mentally. As a fan I really have never been into him much and I would rather someone else be champion but he's still a person.

Also in general his life in Japan probably sucks right now. With her gone, the pandemic is probably the worst in the world there, the company's yanking him and the other wrestlers around, and he's injured (to some extent, even if it's not a broken neck or whatever) and hurting. With all things considered he probably needed a break and if NJPW is mad so what? They're the ones that would miss out on their biggest promoted match in Okada and Ospreay, and if he wanted WWE would sign him in a minute. What's he got to lose?

[be more kind]

Status

Been watching the Roku shows on the down low recently to get a bit more familiar with the product. Random musings (just finished the New Beginnings shows for reference):

- Has Red Shoes close two counts always been that obvious?

- I'm slowly marching towards the inevitable EVIL reign and I've seen nothing so far to suggest that push is coming.

- The Bullet Club shit gets real tired real quick. The White/Ibushi Dome match was especially nauseating.

- Speaking of the Dome, Naito spamming Destino's does not a good match make. Actually preferred his defense against KENTA due to this.

- Did we ever get Naito/Takahashi or Moxley/ZSJ? Hiromu has been by far my favourite performer so far.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Postman Dave View Post
    Been watching the Roku shows on the down low recently to get a bit more familiar with the product. Random musings (just finished the New Beginnings shows for reference):

- Has Red Shoes close two counts always been that obvious?

- I'm slowly marching towards the inevitable EVIL reign and I've seen nothing so far to suggest that push is coming.

- The Bullet Club shit gets real tired real quick. The White/Ibushi Dome match was especially nauseating.

- Speaking of the Dome, Naito spamming Destino's does not a good match make. Actually preferred his defense against KENTA due to this.

- Did we ever get Naito/Takahashi or Moxley/ZSJ? Hiromu has been by far my favourite performer so far.
    1) Pretty much so. Sometimes it doesn't matter but you can tell what's getting the three. This is why I prefer Lucha refs. They always count so slow but due to how consistent they are, it produces some nail biting pins in nothing matches.

2) I believe its a COVID creation. You can't really do a standard title reign where you run through the roster so Gedo opted for a feud based title reign which I'm all for. Plus it added some spice to the cold few months of post return New Japan.

3) I loved it myself but I totally see where you're coming from. They've had just as good matches that are way shorter. I'm all for long matches and I can watch them all day but there was some obvious prolonged stalling and drawn out sections of the match. Too much interference, even more so than usual.

4) Agreed. I think it's time for Naito to try a different move because he's gotten way too sloppy and uncoordinated to hit it perfectly.

5) Unfortunately, no. Both times Naito and Takahashi were close to becoming reality, COVID or a title change happened. ZSJ/Moxley is the same.

Jobber

Status

My god it's a chore to keep up with this company. I love watching it but I'm not sure how anyone (especially a completionist like me) ever stands a chance of staying caught up. I'm only on Night 2 of Road to Wrestle Grand Slam and it'll take me all month to even get close to being caught up. I know that's the price you pay but damn.

Ibushi vs Cobb whenever it happens should be a good match though.
    I wonder if they actually expect Master Wato to become a big thing? I assume he's going to have to change up his gimmick for that to happen. Teaming him with Ibushi isn't going to get him over. I do at least think he's gotten better since starting the gimmick.

Jobber

Status

I'm just watching Night Two of the Road to Wrestle Grand Slam and Naito taking his time coming to the ring despite his music playing for nearly 2 minutes made my night. I love when guys have a character like his and they really lean into it. Making Abe announce him a second time because he didn't have enough energy in his voice was even better considering the Tranquilo lifestyle of Naito.

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread Information