Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Thread: The LIVE! Thread...

Jobber

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: The LIVE! Thread...

I'm going to see Warrant this friday with some girlfriends of mine. It's the first show or anything like that I've ever been to without Nick. I'm looking forward to it but also nervous about it at the same time. Hope to have some fun there Warrant is one of my all time favorite bands.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

I’ll be seeing Cage the Elephant tomorrow night, with them is Beck and Spoon. To say I’m excited is an understatement, I love Cage the Elephant and their new album is one of my favorites of this year so far. Beck is pretty cool, but I am unfamiliar with Spoon.
    Rest in power, Flock U
    Rest in power, TCON

Team Cyrus T is Best for Business

Letterboxd

Quote Originally Posted by Ed
    Stop the hating of the E-Feds. If you don't like something, that's fine, just ignore it and let the people who do enjoy what they're here on WC to do. Mocking them to make you feel less of a geek for being on a geek on a wrestling forum is lame. If you want to not read their posts, I can fix that for you.

Jobber

Status

Last night a very close friend of mine and godmother to my girls got me to go with her to see Chris Stapleton in Peoria IL. He put on a really really good show

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

Just inherited a ticket for Tool tomorrow night, so that’s pretty awesome.

Currently enjoying a plate of Pulpo Gallego via Tapastalk.

Ask Fuji|2020 Movie Log

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

Vodka Drinking Admin

Status
      Country                    England

I’m so jealous.
    ​​​​​ ​​​
    Ed's Favourite Threads
    Ed Reviews Everything l Ed's Kings Road Journey

Ed's Top Matches of the Year Lists

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Fuji Vice View Post
    Just inherited a ticket for Tool tomorrow night, so that’s pretty awesome.

Currently enjoying a plate of Pulpo Gallego via Tapastalk.
    Nice, I’ll be seeing them in January thanks to my buddy scoring tickets as a birthday gift for me.
    Rest in power, Flock U
    Rest in power, TCON

Letterboxd

Stop the hating of the E-Feds. If you don't like something, that's fine, just ignore it and let the people who do enjoy what they're here on WC to do. Mocking them to make you feel less of a geek for being on a geek on a wrestling forum is lame. If you want to not read their posts, I can fix that for you.

WAKE UP

Status

alright, everyone get your gig-attending dicks out, who have you seen this year?

I had a decent 2019:

Alexisonfire
    AmenRa
    Architects
    At The Gates
    Behemoth
    Bosse-De-Nage
    Cave In
    Converge
    Cult Leader
    Cult Of Luna
    Daughters
    Deafheaven
    Devin Townsend
    Envy
    Eyehategod
    Frank Turner
    Ghost
    The Hold Steady
    Jimmy Eat World
    Killswitch Engage
    Kvelertak
    Laura Stevenson
    Massive Attack
    Mastodon
    Mutoid Man x2
    Old Man Gloom
    Periphery
    Refused
    Terror
    Thrice
    Tiny Moving Parts
    Touche Amore
    Wolves In The Throne Room
    The Wonder Years

No Tool though

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

I didn't go to as many shows as Steve, but I DID see Tool in November.

Also caught the following...

Bob Mould
    Mono
    Ten Feet Tall
    The Psychedelic Furs
    IDLES
    Chris Stapleton
    Fontaines D.C.
    Russian Circles x2

All good shows. I'll probably hit more next year, but who knows?
    Last edited by Fuji Vice; 12-17-2019 at 08:10 AM. Reason: My old ass brain forgot about a couple of shows

Ask Fuji|2020 Movie Log

​​​

Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

WAKE UP

Status

Are IDLES big your side? Tried to see them twice in the past year or so and the tix here sell out in seconds.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    Are IDLES big your side? Tried to see them twice in the past year or so and the tix here sell out in seconds.
    They're big enough that they sell out in close to the same amount of time. I was lucky enough to get two hard tickets through a friend the day before they went on sale here, but they got snatched up super quick. They were going for as much as $150 on the secondary market up to an hour before the show.

Was a crazy show. Definitely gets a Walking Tall 10/10 recommendation.

Ask Fuji|2020 Movie Log

​​​

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Cage the Elephant and Spoon, think that’s it. We ended up not staying for Beck at the CTE concert, we thought the latter were closing the show but it was Beck and we just really wanted to see Cage and we wanted to beat traffic. Cage the Elephant put on a great show, I got called an asshole because I moved closer to my friends and the lady behind me apparently couldn’t see so I just moved instead of making a big deal out of it and from what I saw it looked like she wasn’t even having fun. Oh well, her foul mood didn’t ruin my night that night.

I’ll be seeing Tool in 2020 on January 12th, my buddy got the tickets for my birthday.
    Rest in power, Flock U
    Rest in power, TCON

Letterboxd

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

Some photos from the pit section at last night's Lumineers concert in Toronto...

Ask Fuji|2020 Movie Log

​​​

Jungle Life

Status

Damn thats really close I only know a few songs from them but, I enjoy the music soothing
    Spoiler:

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

That looks awesome Fooj, glad you had a good time dude.

The Tool show I saw back in January was pretty rad visually, I’m not as familiar with their work as most are but I enjoy what I know and they put on a real good show.
    Rest in power, Flock U
    Rest in power, TCON

Letterboxd

Rhythm Rock Shocker

Status

One of the more interesting things to come from the new coronavirus world we live in is new ways to check out live music. We might not be able to get to our favorite clubs or whatnot, but in the last several months I've noticed an uptick in the number of musicians who are live streaming performances on Facebook and other platforms. A few of the jazz clubs in NY that I used to only visit once in a blue moon are also live streaming, making these performance more accessible to larger numbers of people than ever before.

Over the summer, I got to see a trumpet player out of Kansas City by the name of Trent Austin. He and his band did a series of performance from his driveway. There's a pianist from here in NY that does a live performance from his apartment every Monday night and he always has various guest musicians with him. Those are pretty awesome! These are shows that I wouldn't get to see otherwise, so I hope that these live-streaming capabilities become part of the new normal once things are safer.

Intercontinental Champion

Status
      Country                    Wales

Had the pleasure last night of fulfilling a lifelong bucket list goal of mine, one I feared I'd never get to fulfil, by seing Genesis live. I did so at the Birmingham Utilita Arena (UK).

This is the Phil Collins, Tony Banks, Mike Rutherford incarnation of Genesis btw, and before any purists get on my back with any snide "Ohhhh that's not the REAL Genesis" comments, I'll take this trio over any version involving Peter Gabriel and/or Steve Hackett any day (just my preference, and I appreciate the work they did with Gabriel and Hackett, but just prefer the stuff Collins, Banks and Rutherford have done together).

Given how frail Phil Collins has become in recent years, and he seens to be ageing quickly too in looks at least, and given how particulary frail and shrivelled he looked in an interview they did just last week to promote the tour, I was very worried that this wouldn't meet my expectaitons. I obviously wasn't expecting it to match up to what the band used to be do, but I just didn't want it to be underwhelming or disappointed.

The gig was neither of these things. What an absolute treat. I've seen so much hate and negativity towards the decision to tour with Collins in his condition, people spouting snobbish nonsense about how you'd be better off going to see Steve Hackett performing his Genesis sets on his tour and so on, but they absolutely knocked it out of the park and all three were very clearly enjoying it to the max.

Collins certainly doesn't have the vocal range he once had, even 13 years ago (the last time they toured) he was still able to hold his notes and hit the high stuff, but this time he was heavily reliant on the two backing singers (the first time the band has ever used backing singers) to hit those high notes and hold out the long ones while he more often than not went for the lower notes or came off the high stuff sooner than normal. However, saying that, damn can he still sing. Not quite as powerful, but that distinct voice is still there and we had some excellent performances of several classics such as 'Mama', 'Home by the Sea', 'Turn it on Again', 'No Son of Mine', 'I Know What I Like', 'Carpet Crawlers' to name a few. I can't think of any songs that disappointed or underwhelmed me.

The instrumental stuff was awe-inspiring to see and hear live. Rutherford and touring guitarist Daryl Stuermer are both brilliant guitarists and I've wanted to see Tony Banks play live for a long time too and he didn't disappoint. The best musician on stage however without quesiton was Phil's son Nicholas Collins on drums. Wow. At only 20 years old this kid has some career ahead of him based on this performance. I've seen some excellent drummers play live in my time, Taylor Hawkins of the Foo Fighters and Zack Starkey of The Who to name two, but this kid easily blows them both out of the water as the best I've seen live and I would even say that he's up there with the likes of his dad and Keith Moon as the best I've heard period. The drumming in Genesis is relentless and to play constantly for well over 2 hours (the show was about 2 hours 20 in total but you can take away about 10 mins of that for talking/breaks etc, the rest was pure solid, constant blocks of music) like he did with that much physicallity (much like his Dad used to do) and not get tired is fucking impressive. Couple that with the incredible amount of complex drumming patterns and rhythms involved and the constant time signature changes and it was amazing to see someone so young pull thi soff so effortlessly. Ironically Phil was 20 when he joined Genesis too but his kid is something special. Phil was clearly super proud of him too as he took a seat back by the drums during the instrumental sections to bask in his sons playing. I even shed a tear when the camera focused on a shot of Phil 'air drumming' the part and then a shot of his son next to him actually playing. Amazing stuff to see.

All in all this was a brilliant show, much better I think than anyone ever expected it to be (perhaps much better than it had any right to be) and I'm strongly considering buying a ticket to go again tomorrow evening. I feel sorry for the Genesis 'fans' online who felt the need to trash this tour and be so negative, bitter and dismissive of it before they'd even heard a song played. Fool is them at the end of the day.
    If you're a music fan I'd strongly recommend you try and get to a show as despite the 'never say never' aspect of being in rock music, given the factors and circumstances, this tour definitely does feel like it's the end of the road for this band. The tour closes out at the end of this year.
    Last edited by Tommy Thunder; 09-21-2021 at 06:30 AM.

WAKE UP

Status

Nice! I was considering getting tickets for one of their shows at the O2 but decided against it because I'm not that big of a fan and covid, but it certainly had my interest.

Pretty much all the gigs I had tix for have been moved until next year apart from a couple in November, buzzing to get back to them.
    Talk about the best matches of the year here:

WWE | AEW | New Japan | Other

Status

Would definitely reocmmend it if you're at a loose end. It doesn't appear that any shows are complete sell outs (though I couldn't see many empty seats in the Utilita last night and there was a huge queue for tickets on the night). There's still some of the lower end price tickets available on Ticketmaster for tomorrows show for example so shows that there's still tickets out there that you can get without getting ripped off by 3rd party sites. Definitely worth the 70 odd quid to see these guys one last time.

Collins has said that he's adamant that the tour won't be extended into 2022 and that he's likely done with touring period after this. Banks and Rutherford are keen I think and are taking more of a 'we'll see' approach to the question. Collins was saying this before the tour started though. If he feels good enough and enjoys it then who knows what might happen, but as it stands the European leg (more of a UK leg really as it's all in the UK lol) ends on the 13th of October and the USA leg will end on the 16th of December.

[be more kind]

Status
      Country                    England

Was actually talking about this tour yesterday, glad you had a good time!

Not looking at any gigs until next year personally, hopefully by then the old immune system is back to firing on all cylinders.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Status

It was a brilliant show, and I couldn't turn down this last chance to see them. Absolutely made up that I got to witness them live.

I was also due to go and see Elton John on his farewell tour in November, but, he's just sent out a press release over the weekend saying that he's having to postpone the rest of the tour due to him falling over and hurting his hip over the summer. He doesn't specify the injury, only that he fell and has been doing intense physio to try and get through it but that it's getting worse. Sounds to me like he's broken his hip or at the very least needs a hip replacement!
    Bad news though is that I now won't get to see him until June 11th... 2023!!!! I missread the email first thinking it was 2022 but then my partner pointed out to me that it was 2023! He'll be 76 when I see him now! Hope he can maintain his voice enough to still be able to put on a show by that point!

Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Thread Information