Page 104 of 104 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104
Results 2,061 to 2,078 of 2078

Thread: Review the last wrestling match you watched

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Re: Review the last wrestling match you watched

Quote Originally Posted by Fuji Vice View Post
    I have a soft spot for West because of how enthusiastic he is about everything. Sure he's not a great (or even good) colour commentator, but his energy is undoubtedly infectious.

Speaking of West, I was watching a documentary about baseball cards and he suddenly pops up as an interviewee. Apparently he was working for The Home Shopping Network back during the big boom of the 90's and was just as crazy then.
    He's like a less obnoxious Mauro Ranallo.

Plus he and Tenay brought us one of the all time great wrestling gifs

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

The 100 Greatest WCW Matches - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

I had the TNA IMPACT game and all I remember from it was this call from Don West - "THAT WAS INSAAAANNNNEE". Pretty much spot on.

I have fond memories of him on commentary but I imagine he'd annoy me week to week nowadays.

Don West has had a couple of viral videos from his home shopping network days.

King EC

Status
      Country                    United States

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    He's like a less obnoxious Mauro Ranallo.

Plus he and Tenay brought us one of the all time great wrestling gifs

Also the segment where he ripped into Mike was awesome and gave us this gem.

I've been working through TNA's monthly PPVs starting at the beginning, and I honestly think West and Tenay are my favorite or second favorite broadcast team of all time, with JR and King being the other contender. It's probably a lot to do with nostalgia because I was a big time TNA mark, but even now when I watch their stuff it's so nice to have two guys who are completely invested in what's going on in the ring and aren't trying to put themselves over or some shit like that.
    ​​​​​​​​ 2019 King of Wrestling Clique

HOW ABOUT YOU READ THESE THINGS?

Watching TNA's monthly PPVs from the start
    WC's Greatest Superstars in WWE History

Burn It Down!: The Top 25 Matches of Seth Rollins' Career

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    China

I say this completely unironically. Once West turned heel he was one of the greatest commentators of all time in wrestling. He was almost too good because Tenay was positioned as a babyface and the booking was so bad that West poking holes into it inadvertently made the faces look like geeks. Also he just had a ton of great one liners. All time favorites had to be when they were running the Daniels/Suicide angle and Dabiels ran out to save Suicide: "Well it's clear that I was right all along, Suicide's Daniels but what I wanna know is: WHO THE HELL IS THAT IMPERSONATING DANIELS!?"

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Don West has had a couple of viral videos from his home shopping network days.
    I found out not that long ago that he used to try to sell baseball cards. There are tons of compilation videos of him on youtube. Some of it is hilarious.

WAKE UP

Status

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOv6MYO88_Y
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbQU7o6cRzs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8FxgksctAo

Rick Martel vs Buddy Rose, 26/4/80

Buddy is still wearing his mask and wig here and looks super creepy. Watched this today and thought it was a great match. Really solid technical wrestling, as the first fall is all about Buddy working over Martel's leg. Good struggle to escape the holds and Martel's selling is top draw, collapsing on his own weight as soon as he escapes and continuing to sell the damage even when on offence. Buddy carries on with this into the second, until a great transition where he tries to post Martel's leg, only for Rick to grab his head and post him instead. Martel then goes on the outside instead of going for a countout fall and posts Buddy back-first. Not only does this set up Martel then targetting Rose's back for the rest of the match, it helps make the match feel quite heated as Martel is clearly trying to punish Buddy. Buddy's selling is also great and we get him struggling to lift Martel up for a slam thanks to the bad back. We get a bit of a screwy finish - Martel rips Buddy's mask off and Buddy rushes o the back before anyone can see his face and gets counted out. This is the 80s, so as far as screwball finishes this one was atleast pretty amusing and gave you a good reason for a future match. We also get a fired up Martel cussing and spitting all over the mask. I thought this was great and will try to check out more of these guys in Portland.

WAKE UP

Status

The entire Stan Hansen vs Carlos Colon fued. Decided to check this out after wanting see more of Hansen's State-side work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgGxUo90kC0

Colon vs Hansen, 12/10/1986

Their first match. Short-ish but really intense brawl. Straight at the jump Hansen beats the crap out of both Colon and the referee. No fucks given at all. He chokes Colon with the bullrope, posts him, clocks him with the title belt and smashes the time-keepers table all over him. Colon does what he's known for - bleeding a bunch, taking a whooping and getting the crowd behind him. Haven't seen much Colon, he isn't a top tier terrirory babyface but does what's needed and has some good punches. Hansen gets bloodied up too, then we get an 80s finish with him winning with a loaded-pad Lariat. For 10 minutes this was a blast and an intense, hate-filled, bloody brawl. I imagine all of these matches are going to look the same though.

Colon vs Hansen, 9/11/1986

This one went about 5 minutes and was mostly Colon beating up Hansen. Cool venue as this was at a Baseball stadium and they brawl around the place and into the dug-outs. Hansen bleeds a bunch and gets pasted most of the match. He hits a loaded-pad Lariat again for the win, then a third official comes in and award Colon the match by DQ, so Hansen proceeds to beat him up before high-tailing it out of there. This was fun for what it was but anyone who expected this to be a proper 'match' would have been disappointed.

WAKE UP

Status

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkS85-3A4DA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WUgL7WL8fM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuDbOYoiF8U

The Sheepherders vs Rick Martel & Roddy Piper, 31/5/80

The Sheepherders are a fascinating team, having periods of suck and periods of being awesome. Here they are mostly stooging, light-heart heels and it's super fun. They constantly get chumped by Piper and Martel and throw tantrums and there's a couple misdirection spots. They eventually start targetting Piper's injured leg and work it over to get the first fall. They carry on into the second until a hot tag to Martel. I really like AWA Martel, but from what I'm seeing he may have been ever better in Portand. The guy is constantly fired up and intense and brings it. The faces eventual separate Williams (I think) and post him arm-first before start working over his arm take to the second. In a very 80s studio wrestling bit we then get an interview/promo with Martel and Piper in between that and the third where they put over both their fueds with Buddy and an upcoming title tourney (Rick being champ at this time and Piper wanting a shot but being respectful). Third breaks down into more of a brawl until Buddy interferes - he tries to hit Piper with a pole but accidentally hits Williams instead. The actual result was a bit confusing as it looks like an obvious DQ but the commentator says the ref then counted Piper's pin on Williams.... #80sWrestling. Post-match we get Miller realizing whats happened and getting in Buddy's shit for it leading to them brawling, which is a fucking awesome angle.

Confusing result aside I thought this was real good.

WAKE UP

Status

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    The entire Stan Hansen vs Carlos Colon fued. Decided to check this out after wanting see more of Hansen's State-side work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgGxUo90kC0

Colon vs Hansen, 12/10/1986

Their first match. Short-ish but really intense brawl. Straight at the jump Hansen beats the crap out of both Colon and the referee. No fucks given at all. He chokes Colon with the bullrope, posts him, clocks him with the title belt and smashes the time-keepers table all over him. Colon does what he's known for - bleeding a bunch, taking a whooping and getting the crowd behind him. Haven't seen much Colon, he isn't a top tier terrirory babyface but does what's needed and has some good punches. Hansen gets bloodied up too, then we get an 80s finish with him winning with a loaded-pad Lariat. For 10 minutes this was a blast and an intense, hate-filled, bloody brawl. I imagine all of these matches are going to look the same though.

Colon vs Hansen, 9/11/1986

This one went about 5 minutes and was mostly Colon beating up Hansen. Cool venue as this was at a Baseball stadium and they brawl around the place and into the dug-outs. Hansen bleeds a bunch and gets pasted most of the match. He hits a loaded-pad Lariat again for the win, then a third official comes in and award Colon the match by DQ, so Hansen proceeds to beat him up before high-tailing it out of there. This was fun for what it was but anyone who expected this to be a proper 'match' would have been disappointed.
    Colon vs Hansen, 6/1/87 - Texas Bullrope Match

This was great, and totally unlike most Hansen performances from Japan. It's still a violent, bloody, hate-filled brawl, but he spends most of the match being the one eating the beating, bleeding all over the place, selling big and bumping around for Carlos. This delivers what you want from this - lots of hate, lots of brawling, both guys bleeding, choking each other with the rope, cracking each other with the cow bell, and a MOLTEN hot crowd losing their minds. It really could have done with a memorable spot or moment to really take it over the top, but I thought they managed to milk quite a lot of drama from the turnbuckle rules. Hansen throwing a tantrum at one point where he fails to touch the fourth was something. By the end of the match both guys look like they've been through a war. Poking around the net this seems to have a rep for being the best or one of the best matches in PR wrestling history, and while that feels like a low bar I have to imagine that's true.

Colon vs Hansen, 27/2/87

More of the same, which is no bad thing. I'm not sure if Hansen was being really selfless or Colon was being selfish (or both), but all of these matches feel worked in a way to really make Colon look like a megastar. This is not a stipulation match but still starts with Colon using Hansen's rope to beat the crap out of him around the ring area. Of course Hansen bleeds. This is another really fun, violent brawl with an absurdly hot crowd. Colon loves a low-blow as a babyface spot, which doesn't vibe with me, but it's a blood fued where the bad guy is getting his comeuppance so I can look the other way at it. Shockingly, we actually get some wrestling moves in this one, as Colon targets Hansen's leg and works it over to set up his Figure Four. This is all good stuff, helps break up the brawling and make this match feel different to the others, and gives it a bit more substance too. The finish is a bit jank - Colon has the Figure Four in, and is using the ropes for leverage to really punish Hansen. The ref admonishes him but allows it happen, then Hansen grabs a crutch and hits Colon to break it up, also causing a DQ. Felt like the ref was letting Colon get away with murder a bit there. Post-match Colon blows a gasket and beats the shit out of a bunch of refs with the crutch, and I am fully onboard with that. Not sure I liked this as much as the Bullrope match but still really good.

Indy Talent

Status

WWE Championship
    Brock Lesnar (c) vs Roman Reigns
    WrestleMania 31

Currently watching this on FS1. The first match of what would be the worst feud of the 2010s, and yet would have the best finish of any WM main event from 31-36. These two were each two trick ponies. Reigns just had his spear and Superman Punch. Lesnar just had his suplexes and F-5. Thankfully, Seth Rollins comes out and cashes in his MITB to become WWE Champion. I remember watching this and thought the match was awful, but then when Rollins' music hit, I just about jumped out of my seat. I was thrilled that Rollins became champion. I actually predicted it (though I thought he would cash-in after the match was over). Overall a sub-par match with an exciting finish.

THE FACE THAT RUNS THE PLACE

I think you're the first person I've seen hate on the match.

Admin in Lockdown

Status

Steve - I remember checking out that Hansen/Colon feud a few years ago and loved the atmosphere of them.

Battlekat - I loved Brock/Reigns at the time but have never rewatched it. There's no way I'd dislike it to the extent you do, but I wonder now in rewatching it if it drops short of feeling MOTYC level given Reigns and Lesnar would go onto have a number of truly terrible matches and there's now no enjoyment to be taken in Seth Rollins cashing in to start a horrendous world title run.

King EC

Status

Wouldn't say the match is awful by any means but I do seriously disagree with some of the praise that gets heaped on the match. To me it was probably a good 3, maybe 3 1/2 star contest before Rollins showed up and cashed in. That added excitement and final stretch definitely solidified its place in history. Otherwise I think it would have just been a decent Mania main event.

It's definitely my favorite Reigns/Lesnar match though, no questioning that.
    ​​​​​​​​ 2019 King of Wrestling Clique

HOW ABOUT YOU READ THESE THINGS?

Watching TNA's monthly PPVs from the start
    WC's Greatest Superstars in WWE History

Burn It Down!: The Top 25 Matches of Seth Rollins' Career

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

I don't think the other matches affected my view of the match in a negative way. It's more positive than anything since I think it's probably my favourite match in WM history behind Austin vs Bret. The work is snug but in a way that WWE has never done or will ever do it, so it stands out a ton. There is great selling on display from both wrestlers who were both at their booking peak (in terms of coming across as a star and a big deal, even Roman). I don't mind the finish. People seem to either love it or hate it but I do get the feeling of unsatisfaction that we don't see the pay off to all the carnage that lead before it. However it doesn't hurt my perception of the match a whole lot.

WAKE UP

Status

Reigns vs Lesnar is maybe a Top 5 Wrestlemania main event. Great match, though the MITB kind of robs it from a satisfying finish in favour of an angle.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Stone Cold and The Rock were just punches and finishers.

The point is, variety of moves doesn't matter one bit for how good a match is, and is a pretty lazy criticism when some of the greatest matches in history have minimal variety in moves. It's all about how, when, and why moves are used. And the stuff surrounding the moves like selling, pacing, timing, etc.

Case in point, Roman vs Brock from 34 had roughly the same moves used as the match from 31. One is one of the worst Wrestlemania main events ever, the other is one of the best.

The 100 Greatest WCW Matches - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

WAKE UP

Status

Been flicking through some IWTV for hidden gems because I'm a pro wrestling nerd.

Ric Blade/The Briscoe Brothers vs The SAT, CZW Stretched In Smyrna

Fun glimpse at this particular time in wrestling. Blade was a really popular CZW flier, Briscoes are both still in high school at this point (this is mid 2001), and the SATs (Maximos and Amazing Red) are a really good unit having crazy spotfests unlike anything else really happening in indy wrestling at this time. This is a blast, a fast-paced match with lots of flying and fun sequences. Most of the middle is worked with a heat section as the SATs double and triple team Jay while keeping Mark and Blade out of the ring. Crazy to think these guys were still in high school and yet also eating big lariats and taking suplex bumps and shit. There were a few awkward moments of bad timing/miscommunication, mostly when Blade was in there, but they kept it moving. Final section goes full blown nutty spotfest with a three-story Tower Of Doom Suplex (a guy on top of a guy on top of a guy) which looked bonkers and incredibly dangerous, a double spanish fly from the Maximos and a big finish. Clocking in under 15 minutes we are in and out before it gets too much or it starts to drag. This was basically a spotfest but a well done spotfest.

Page 104 of 104 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104

Thread Information