Page 102 of 102 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102
Results 2,021 to 2,040 of 2040

Thread: Review the last wrestling match you watched

No One

Status
      Country                    Canada

Re: Review the last wrestling match you watched

Slowly going through AJPW/NOAH archive of matches. Watched the Rikidozan vs. Kimura clips, holy was the ending of that pretty brutal. Goddamn.

Watched Giant Baba vs. The Destroyer from 1969 2/3 Falls. I don't think I was paying enough attention and must've missed a fall because I was quite confused by the ending. Seemed like the match ended after Baba submitted to the Figure Four Leg Lock but Baba still won? Idk. Sometimes language barriers can be a bit hard in keeping track of what's going on. It was an alright match and plenty worked. Destroyer's a great heel, the build to the figure four leg lock, the bloodying, the Destroyer's cheating, etc was all nice. Crowd was real into those interminable leg headlock moments early on. Nevertheless, way too long for me but I understand a lot of these early stuff probably won't be my cup of tea. I'm mostly just doing this to watch matches from names I've heard of plenty but don't know much or enough about and I'm a completionist when it comes to watching stuff.

Going to checkout Baba vs, Destroyer from '72, Destroy vs. Mascaras from '73, and The Funks vs. Jumbo / Baba. I'd do a whole review thread but who knows how long this will last so I'll just post here whenever I get further down the list.

No One

Status

Double post.

Watched Baba vs. The Destroyer from 1972 and it was wayyyyyyyy better, mostly because the ending was cute. For the first fall, The Destroyer is working the headlock on Baba interminably and keeps going under the chin and getting warned by the referee about it. Its pretty neverending and then Baba gets out of it suddenly and lays Destroyer out of nowhere with a neckbreaker and just instant fall right there. I guess the lengthy headlock got Baba forgetting about Destroyer's figure four leg lock so he gets careless and Destroyer counters an atomic drop into it and thats the second fall. Destroyer spends a lot of the third fall working the leg so he can get another submission victory. Baba is still a bit too careless but Destroyer's reliance on the leg work costs him and on one of his attempts to jump on Baba's leg while its suspended on the bottom rope sends him flying out of the ring. Destroyer's never able to get back in the ring and Baba wins on a count out victory. After the match Baba actually gets out of the ring to help the Destroyer up and they shake hands in the ring. Idk, thought it was pretty cutesy that Baba still wanted to show respect to this guy who kept low key cheating (though not to the vicious degree of their '69 match) to try and win. Im not sure if maybe theres more context to it like Destroyer was leaving or something. I mean cutesy in the best way. I genuinely thought it was adorable in a "you tried to cheat but I got you, Destroyer!" "Yeah you got me Baba. Hahaha." Looking forward to the Destroyer vs. Mascaras match next.

No One

Status

Decided to check out Bob Sapp because of some random browsing.

Bob Sapp vs. The Great Muta: Bob Sapp entrance was 10/10 and I instantly fell in love with him. He's super green though but I feel like if he'd took the time to learn how to work a bit more of a spectacle and if WWF had given him a shot, he could've been big. He's got a lot of personality, and obviously he's got the look. This match didn't do a great job of hiding how super green he was though but it wasn't horrible. Diving Headbutt is a pretty stupid finisher for a guy like Sapp. His personality tendencies remind me quite a bit of Big E which was probably why I came to like him pretty quick. If Shaquille O'Neal was a professional wrestler, I imagine he'd be Bob Sapp.

Bob Sapp vs. Kensuke Sasaki: This was a much better plotted out match. I think they did a better job of hiding Sapp's flaws and keeping it basic and hard hitting. I have no idea what was happening with the interference early in the match and Sasaki getting bloodied up. I imagine that was to protect him. Also imagine that the title switch has something to do with Inoki's love of MMA fighters. Nevertheless, I actually enjoyed this match a decent bit. I'll probably end up looking into more Sasaki matches. Would've been cool to see him go up against guys like Ishii/Shibata/Goto or the Sekimoto/Okabayashi/Ishikawa's (who knows, maybe he has and I need to locate those matches).

Status
      Country                    United States

Halloween Havoc 1989
    Thunderdome Cage Match
    Sting and Ric Flair vs. The Great Muta and Terry Funk

I don't know much about WCW before 1995 or so. I've seen the Flair-Steamboat matches from the late 80s, I've seen some Road Warriors stuff and I've seen a handful of Sting, Ron Simmons and Barry Windham matches from around this time. So, as a whole, I'm pretty much blind to what's about to happen.

Ironic to me though that Bruno Sammartino walked away from WWE and wrestling in general for a bit, not approving of the direction of pro wrestling, yet they were able to coax him into being the special guest referee for a damn “Thunderdome Cage Match” which from what I can surmise is an electrified cage and the match can only end when the corner man of one of these teams is forced to throw in the towel. In the corner of Muta and Funk is Gary Hart and in the corner of Flair and Sting is Ole Anderson.

This match is like peak late 80s. The match itself is a Mad Max reference I believe, they play “War Pigs” by Black Sabbath as the cage is lowered. The cage is decked out with pretty cheesy halloween props which catch on fire before the match even starts. The managers are actually relevant to the match. The match can only end if they throw in the towel, which I can't remember seeing more than a few times this millennium. And of course we have four of the biggest wrestling stars in the world mixing it up right here.

The match is pretty much a brawl from the very beginning. You have to tag in and out but they're very (very) lax as far as switching in an out and staying in their corner. Of course every time the match goes to the floor, the match devolves into chaos. The cage comes into play quite a lot. Funk is the most excited about using it. What is hard to understand is why someone would climb the cage, knowing that only the top part of it is electrified. Climbing the cage does nothing to win you the match, it can basically only end poorly unless your strategy is to bait your opponent to follow so you can deliver some kind of punishment. There is a rope hanging on the corner of the cage which comes into play when Sting uses it to swing across to kick Funk who is across from him in that corner of the cage. He goes to the well one too many times and gets his leg caught in the cage, at which point Funk uses the rope to tie Sting to the cage. This gives the heels a moment to team up on Flair until Ole frees Sting, at which point Sting jumps from the cage into the ring, onto Funk.

Once the faces regain control, it's game over. Flair targets Funk's knee. He eventually is able to cinch in the Figure Four Leglock, as Sting delivers splashes onto Funk who is locked into the hold and completely vulnerable. Muta takes a swing at Sammartino, but gets walloped by the special ref. As things reach a boiling point, Gary Hart and Ole Anderson both head into the ring where Ole ducks Gary, which causes his towel to go flying out of his hand. Bruno sees the towel and takes that as a surrender, declaring Sting and Flair the winners of the bout!

So in the end, Flair did his thing. He probably threw two or three dozen chops, hit a couple of knee drops and vertical suplexes. Sting brought the energy as he usually does. Funk was just being his mean, nasty self, constantly breaking the rules and looking to deal out as much punishment as possible. Muta seemed to take the brunt of the offense, but got in his shots in here and there. In the end, this match just wasn't very good despite having the ingredients to be a big deal with four main eventers, special ref Bruno Sammartino and a gimmicked up cage and the promise of brutality since the match could only end via stoppage, but they even went with a cheap finish on that so it was just a mess of a match.

But! In an interesting turn of events, the ending of the match did make me realize… I have seen this before! But, I was like five or six years old and watched it on a random VHS I'm guessing my parents got for me at some point. So, that was a crazy flashback for me when I realized I has seen this all before. I just didn't know at that time what I was watching. Still doesn't make the match any better.

Let's say **1/4

Even though it obviously has its fans, I'm not high on the match. On paper, it sounds like a MOTYC but instead it's just mindless fighting and a stupid gimmick. The best part about the entire match is before the bell when some decorations caught on fire on the side of the cage, so The Great Muta climbed up and put out the first by spraying green mist on it. Easily one of the coolest moments in the history of pro wrestling.

If you're interested in watching a much better match that is a pretty big hidden gem, watch Ric Flair and Sting vs The Great Muta and Dick Slater (Subbing for the injured Terry Funk) from Clash of the Champions 8.

Status

Backlash 2003
    The Rock vs. Goldberg

A few notes: I love Hollywood Rock's entrance. I regret that Goldberg's last years in WCW and his first run in WWE were wasted. Jonathan Coachman was ass even back then.

Coach: "Goldberg is a man amongst men!"

I love the set up of this match. Rock is terrified of Goldberg but that doesn't stop him from hurling insults. Goldberg controls the match out of the gate while The Rock stalls. He takes advantage of Goldberg missing a spear, which sends him soaring into ring post. Goldberg sells the shoulder well for the rest of the match while Rock becomes overconfident. Despite locking in the sharpshooter and hitting the People's Elbow, Rock can't put Goldberg away. He makes the mistake of thinking he's got the match in the bag, when Goldberg strikes him with two consecutive (brutal) spears and the Jackhammer to pin Rock. Fun match. Rock is so entertaining, especially as a cowardly heel. Goldberg does a nice job selling the shoulder until the final moments when he goes supernova to finish the match. This could have been a good formula for WWE to follow with Goldberg's PPV matches but they quickly went downhill with the rest of his tenure.

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

Completely agree that this match was great. The Rock did a fantastic job of making Goldberg seem like a HUGE deal who was going to be unstoppable until Triple H undid all this hard work.

But yeah, Hollywood Rock was fantastic and his charisma alone really carried this match. Another example of Rocky being awesome and putting people over. This also reminds me of the awesome promo earlier in the night where Rock says Lilian can wipe a cockatil's ass with what the people think, because it was the only animal The Rock could think of.

Great stuff.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

I actually think this is the rare case of the Rock not putting an opponent over. This wasn't the match or feud for Goldberg's debut. It became a match all about the Rock, and his antics. And because the Rock is so entertaining it took attention away from Goldberg.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

30 Days of WC Member's Choice - Coming Soon - PM me match suggestions

Shock Reviews Archive

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    I actually think this is the rare case of the Rock not putting an opponent over. This wasn't the match or feud for Goldberg's debut. It became a match all about the Rock, and his antics. And because the Rock is so entertaining it took attention away from Goldberg.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk
    Hmmm. I'd have to respectfully disagree. The Rock did steal some of the spotlight with his antics, of course, but that is something you just have to expect. He took this loss like a champ though and sold from the very beginning that he feared Goldberg, which I think is most important. Goldberg isn't ever going to come off like your top showman, but what he should be and what he looked like in this match is a threat to anyone and everyone that steps in the ring with him. What I really love about the match is that they do have the one spear that Goldberg hits out of nowhere that doesn't lead to a win, but as a whole, they managed to avoid having Rock kick out a bunch of times by making the ending a flurry of three finishers by Goldberg which did the job, thus protecting the legitimacy of the spear and Jackhammer while also not making Rock look like a chump in the process.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

I don't think it would be a big deal if it was Goldberg's second or third big match in his WWE run. But his first match should have just been classic Goldberg where he runs through some fool that people don't like.

WWE really didn't get what made Goldberg appealing in WCW, which was a guy that came in and just kicked ass.

30 Days of WC Member's Choice - Coming Soon - PM me match suggestions

Shock Reviews Archive

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

Hail To The King

Status

Sabu vs. Mysterio WHC One Night Stand

Decent match I mean I think in the end it gets lost in shuffle on card but these two work well off each other. Sabu though eating that table spot was sick. I am surprised we didnt see another match between two

Spoiler:

CWA World Heavyweight Champion
    Brayden Bridges

Any problem someone may have with Goldberg/Rock is hardly The Rock's fault. The only way to keep Rocky from showing Goldberg up was had you had Rocky remained silent during the entire build. Having Rock not talk during a build is like having Triple H not spit out water, Hogan not call everyone "Brother", and Austin not give someone the finger. You look back at the program and night one had Goldberg ruining Rock's celebration and embarrassing him to kick off the feud. The feud ended with Goldberg cleanly pinning Rocky with his finisher. Would it have made more sense to keep Goldberg away from such a strong talker? Maybe, but look back at what was happening at the time. Austin's future was in serious doubt, so that dream match wasn't going to happen. Rocky is starting to become a major Hollywood star, so any time he comes in to work a match is more of Rocky doing the WWE a favor. Triple H is obviously the goal the WWE had, in their twisted belief that it was a dream match. On Raw, there were only a few really big matches for Goldberg and had they not ran the Rock match when they did, they'd never be able to do so.

Goldberg's first WWE run had plenty of problems, but the Backlash match is hardly a significant one. The Summerslam match was a far bigger failure.

Status

TNA World Heavyweight Championship
    Impact Wrestling - November 3rd, 2011
    James Storm © vs. Bobby Roode

I absolutely loved this era of TNA. Bobby Roode was a big part of why I enjoyed TNA around this time. His time as a main eventer really had me hooked. James Storm was no small part of my fandom, either. Collectively, as Beer Money, they made up one of my favorite tag teams of this millennium. I can remember watching this match live and with the history of TNA, it’s great that they had this title match on an episode of Impact Wrestling and it actually went a decent length and featured some pretty good wrestling.

Bobby Roode was coming off a match with Kurt Angle at Bound For Glory, after winning the BFG Series and winning the right to challenge for the gold. Kurt won the match by cheating and managed to somehow freeze Roode out of a rematch. So, Sting, who was the new authority figure, gave the next title shot to James Storm who won the title from Angle. Roode beat Joe to earn a shot against Storm and bam, that’s the match.

Now, Beer Money was still an alliance at this point. They were breaking off into singles competition, but I wouldn’t say they ever technically split. Both guys are faces in this match, so the fans are split a little, but they definitely eat up both guys’ entrance. I’ll just say that, being from the South, James Storm is easily one of the best “country” gimmick guys ever. I think that’s because it’s not a gimmick. Roode always had a certain star quality about him. Not the kind of guy who could carry something like WWE, but he could have been a serviceable figurehead for a place like TNA. In a different time and place, Roode probably would have been one of the Four Horsemen.

This match is a classic case of the two guys being evenly matches and knowing each other so well that it’s impossible for one to get the upper hand. They really get after it in the opening moments, trading holds and trying their best at some chain wrestling. We cut to commercial and come back and the pace has slowed. Both men are getting wore down at this point and struggling to beat the ten counts from the referee. This match is a great display of both men’s high impact offense. Storm uses a backstabber, enziguri, Codebreaker and other moves you usually don’t associate with 250 pound men. Roode uses the blockbuster, his patented Double A spinebuster and shows off his technical skills pretty well. At one point, he gets Storm in the crippler crossface, and transitions it into the Rings of Saturn, at which point the fans start chanting “THIS IS WRESTLING!”. I mean, that might be an overreaction on their part, but I appreciate the passion of the fans and this was during the period when TNA were pushing “This is wrestling” as their slogan. Anyways, the end of the match is some bullshit where Brian Hebner hurts his knee, because Storm pushes him out of the way of a charging Roode. While Hebner is limping around ringside, Roode sees the beer bottle that Storm brought to ringside and lies in wait for Storm. Storm goes to grab Roode from inside the ring and Roode smashes the beer bottle over his head, knocking him out like a light. Roode then pins Storm, winning the match and becoming World Champion. The big problem with it all is the referee looks WCW levels of stupid because Roode bashes Storm with the bottle about three feet, if that, away from him. And he’s not unconscious or anything, he just has his back turned because he’s selling a leg injury. He has no reason to have his back turned to begin with but he also has to hear the bottle busting. Nonetheless he turns around to see Storm knocked out and surrounded by glass and still counts the three, albeit he does seem to suspect foul play. I think going with the broken beer bottle was a good decision as a way to end this match and their friendship, but they should have at least done a proper ref bump so it doesn’t come off so stupid.

**½ would be higher with a better finish.
    Last edited by The EC; 03-03-2019 at 07:44 AM.

Curtain Jerker

Status

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8-a3LF6z_o

WWWA World Single Championship
    All Japan Women's Pro-Wrestling - August 23, 1998
    Shinobu Kandori (c) vs. Manami Toyota

My favorite wrestler is Manami Toyota. She is well known for her fast pace ring style, athleticism, and fighting from underneath as a face that have all earned her multiple accolades. This match has all of that, but it a slower match which I really enjoy as it allows for the fight from underneath to have even more weight to it. It is a nice clash of styles as Manami's high flying style and Shinobu Kandori's shooter style compliment each other well and as the match goes on you can tell who is the more heel-ish out of the two. As Shinobu Kandori gains more control in the match and becomes more vicious, you can see Manami's fighting spirit as she tries to overcome Shinobu Kandori and capture her third WWWA World Singles Championship. The question is will this be the night she does it? Not the best match of either of these twos careers, but still a great match in my opinion.

Curtain Jerker

Status

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqN_bjPASkI

ROH World Championship
    Ring of Honor - October 2, 2004
    Samoa Joe (c) vs. Bryan Danielson

Well last time I looked at a match with my favorite wrestler of all time, so this time I'll look at one with my second favorite wrestler of all time: Samoa Joe. When Bryan was cleared to wrestle again, the one match I wanted to see was this one at a main event spot in WWE. As far as I know, that didn't happen. But hey, these guys had a few matches on the indies so we have those at least. This one is a really great match in my opinion. Starts out as a slow paced technical match, but turns up really fast about a 1/4 - 1/3 way in. Bryan Danielson does some awesome heel work though not at his ROH heel run zenith yet. Samoa Joe wrestles in the role I always preferred in him, the badass babyface. These two get pretty intense in this match with Bryan Danielson trying to claim his first ever ROH World Championship reign while Samoa Joe continues his role as the fighting champion and the longest reigning ROH World Champion which he still holds that record to this day. It is funny on that on the commentary they talk about how Bryan Danielson is taking risks he normally wouldn't take when those risky manuevers became his normal style in WWE. The crowd really gets into this one and as the commentators point out, they sense a title change coming in this match, but Samoa Joe's fighting spirit is quite a hell of a one. Really wish this match could happen in WWE someday, heck I'd subscribe for a month to see it, but who knows.

Small thing, but Danielson wasn't a heel in October 2004.

Curtain Jerker

Status

He wasn't? Interesting, he seems to be wrestling heel in this match. I thought he was a heel by the time he wrestled Jushin Liger which is upcoming in this match.

Quote Originally Posted by LinguisticTurn View Post
    He wasn't? Interesting, he seems to be wrestling heel in this match. I thought he was a heel by the time he wrestled Jushin Liger which is upcoming in this match.
    Nah, he wouldn't really become a heel until a year later. At this point, he was just a part timer due to his frequent tours with NJPW. So it was more of a case of using Bryan in whatever role they needed him to be. Case in point, before this match, he was involved in an issue with the heel stable of Generation Next. After this match, he'd get into an issue with another heel stable in The Rottweilers.

Curtain Jerker

Status

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXhGhAolY28

SHIMMER Women Atheletes - April 14, 2018
    Submission Match
    Deonna Purrazzo vs. Madison Eagles

I really enjoyed this match. It is a very basic match with minimum bumps and when the bumps do happen they mean a lot more because of it. It is a submission match that makes sense rather than a lot of submission matches out there you can what where people are trying to get all their spots in the match, these two are trying to force the other one to submit and it has one big mistake at the end by one of the competitors that gives the opening for the submission. Solid wrestling match and I wish more wrestling in general was like this rather than feeling like coordinated spot shows.

Curtain Jerker

Status

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_pLjPK3ygI

All Japan Women's Pro-Wrestling - 4/29/1991
    WWWA Tag Team Title Best Two Out Of Three Falls Match
    Jungle Jack (Aja Kong & Bison Kimura) (c) vs. Esther Moreno & Manami Toyota

Wow I'm surprised I've never seen or read about this match before. I was just randomly searching for matches on YouTube and this came up. I had to laugh when I saw the outfits for the team of Moreno and Toyota. This was a really great match up with lots of energy. I've never seen an Esther Moreno matchup as far as I can remember, but her and Manami Toyota make a really good babyface team in my opinion. The team work is great in this match with Moreno and Toyota making multiple saves throughout the match and Jungle Jack up to their typical antics. Some of the Jungle Jack antics led to Moreno having a crimson mask at one point in the match. Really great tag team match that runs almost 30-minutes, but definitely didn't feel like it was that long to me. Would definitely recommend it to those who are interested.

Page 102 of 102 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102

Thread Information