Page 1 of 95 123 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Review the last wrestling match you watched

Tommy Got Hacked

Review the last wrestling match you watched

This one should be obvious from the title. Post the last wrestling match you watched and write a review of it. The review can be as long or short as you want, but try to add some detail rather than just one line saying 'it was good' or whatever. Obviously you can take issue with the reviews of others and discussion will develop from that. If you like, give a star rating at the end of your review, but it is not compulsory.
    Last edited by Jim; 11-22-2012 at 08:35 AM.

People's Champion

Status
    Randy Orton vs. Mick Foley - Intercontinental Championship Match (Hardcore Rules) - Backlash 2004

I've seen this match many times, and it is honestly one of my favorites. I don't think it's one of the best matches of all time, but I just love watching it. I'll start by saying that the only downfall of this match was that it had a predictable winner. The reason for that was that they made the match for the Intercontinental Championship, and Randy was made to be the next big thing, and it was obvious he would have a long reign. He did however lose the belt 3 months later.

Making this match for the Intercontinental belt though made the title look like it was very important, as both men went to extreme measures to win. It was a personal feud, but the addition of putting the belt on the line, added a new goal of Foley's.

The match itself was great. Randy took some nice bumps, and I was shocked as hell seeing him get thrown in the tacks. This match proved to me that Randy Orton could be something huge in the future. The story of the match was great, as Orton was the punk kid who spit in the face of Foley's awhile ago, and Foley was out for revenge. Orton had to prove himself to Foley during the match, and had to play by Foley's rules. Once Orton did that, it allowed him to pick up the win.

****1/2

Tommy Got Hacked
    Yeah that was a fucking awesome match. Undoubtedly one of the matches of 2004 and it was great for Foley to prove that he was still capable of matches of that quality. I would probably rate it about the same as you. I too was shocked that Orton took the tack bump, but the whole match just showed what potential he had. When you look at a match like this being fought over the IC Title, it is kind of depressing. Orton's run just proved what an asset the IC title should be to the company, but instead we see it used as a prop to some joke character and nobody really benefits from it. Orton was turned into a star by his awesome IC title run, and this match was undoubtedly the highlight. They drew me in making it seem like Foley could win as the match went on, then bam, the RKO. Foley kicking out then getting another RKO on the barbed wire bat was probably a reference to the finish of the Rumble 2000 Street Fight with Triple H, when Foley kicked out of the Pedigree only to get pedigreed again on the tacks.

Great match.
    Last edited by Jim; 05-23-2012 at 06:20 AM.

Evil Admin.

Status

The Intercontinental Championship Review

Perhaps I'm feeling a bit nostalgic or maybe I'm just disappointed by how the title has been treated in recent years, but I've been wanting to relive some of the better moments of the IC title history. As a kid, it was my favorite title with it often time putting on better matches than the WWE Championship. The idea is simple, I will be watching as many matches where the IC title switched hands and review them. Over the course of reviewing them, I will be able to keep a ranking of them so that hopefully when I am done, I will be able to have a full list of the best to the worst title changes ever. Obviously, some matches will be easier to cover than others. Rey Mysterio vs JBL at Wrestlemania 25 and Ricky Steamboat vs Randy Savage at Wrestlemania III will give me no problem. However, matches such as Goldust and Jeff Jarrett's wins after the title was held up may prove to be more difficult to find. Then there's matches like Tito Santana vs Don Muraco which will be impossible to cover (The recording of the match was fucked up and only the post-match celebration exists.) Something tells me that Pat Patterson's Rio de Janeiro's match will be hard to find. I'll most likely just add reviews in random order at various points of it's history (Meaning I may do from Santana to Warrior's second title reign all in a row, then my next batch will be Jericho's last to Mysterio.)

This will obviously take some time, but hopefully some people will enjoy these.

Best IC Title Changes
    1. Tito Santana (c) vs Randy Savage - February 8, 1986
    2. Greg Valentine (c) vs Tito Santana - Steel Cage Match - July 6, 1985
    3. Val Venis (c) vs Road Dogg - Raw - March 15, 1999
    4. Jeff Jarrett (c) vs Edge - Toronto House Show - July 24, 1999
    5. Road Dogg (c) vs Goldust - Raw - March 29, 1999
    6. Goldust (c) vs The Godfather - Raw - April 12, 1999
    7. The Godfather (c) vs Jeff Jarrett - Raw - May 31, 1999

I ain't gonna beg

Status

Re: The Intercontinental Championship Review

Looking forward to it.

Good luck finding Patterson's.
    I solemnly swear I am up to no good

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Bagwell on John Cena
    But I think he's bigger than Buff Bagwell. I really do.
    [02:00 AM] Dakstang : girls ain't dudes

Evil Admin.

Status

Greg Valentine (c) vs Tito Santana - Steel Cage Match - July 6, 1985
    This is from the Hall of Fame 2004 DVD. The match was taken from a live event with Gorilla Monsoon providing commentary I assume for a Coliseum Home Video release. Valentine and Santana had been battling on and off ever since Valentine defeated Santana for the title over a year before. Gorilla Monsoon mistakenly calls this the first ever IC title match inside of a steel cage. It's pretty sad especially considering one of the most well known IC title matches occurred in a steel cage less than two years prior to this. Very basic match without the frills and spots of modern day cage matches. For the most part, it's just punches, battling to escape the cage and Valentine throwing Santana against the cage a few times busting Tito open. The end sequence came with Valentine slowly crawling through the cage door while Tito climbs up over the top. Seeing that Valentine was close to escaping, Santana kicks the door into Greg's head and Santana wins by dropping down. I'm not sure if this is the first time this spot was done, but it has to be one of the early examples of it. The post-match has Valentine destroying the IC title out of frustration. This would led to the IC title (1985-1998) being created. Besides some weak looking shots, my only major issue with the match was Gorilla Monsoon. Typically, I love Monsoon as a commentator, but he sounded extremely bored and ruined several spots by calling what happens before it does. Overall, it's a simple, yet grudge filled match which had the steel cage do exactly what it was designed for - to end a feud. Throw in some historic events with the title being destroyed and you have an easy thumbs up. Not bad for the "First ever IC steel cage match." 3 Stars.

Tito Santana (c) vs Randy Savage - February 8, 1986
    Upon arriving in the WWE, Savage had started challenging WWE World Champion, Hulk Hogan and IC Champion, Tito Santana to title matches. Sooner or later, the up-and-comer would get in a win. The referee for the match is Danny Davis. That will become important later on down the road. However, for the purpose of this review, it doesn't matter. The idea of the match is that Savage is becoming one of the best wrestlers in the WWE, but Santana uses his veteran knowledge to keep it even. Savage misses a knee drop near the end, injuring himself. This sets Santana up to lock in the Figure Four Leg Lock. Even with the bum knee, Savage is able to make it to the ropes to get the break. Savage begins messing with his tights, trying to produce a foreign object. Santana attempts to suplex Savage back into the ring from the apron, but Savage nails him with the foreign object and easily covers Tito for the win and the title. In some ways, this was ahead of it's time with how fast pace it was. While it's not to the caliber of the Steamboat matches, it clearly shows that Savage had a long and bright future in the WWE. Fun fact, in the history of the IC title up to this point, the title had only changed hands once in February or in Boston. Ironically, Tito's first IC title reign started almost two years to the date in this very arena. 3 1/2 Stars.

IDC

Status

Great idea, good luck finding Patterson's :L.

Tommy Got Hacked

Watch the Nazi Banksters Crimes Ripple Effect Film.

Evil Admin.

Status

For now I will be posting my list of best IC title changes in the first post. Please keep in mind a match will only be listed once I (Re)watch it.

Val Venis (c) vs Road Dogg - Raw - March 15, 1999
    This was made after Venis pinned Road Dogg the previous night on Heat during a tag match (With Billy Gunn and Hardcore Holly). Not sure how a loser can get a title match against a guy who already defeated him, but here we go. The early going is all Venis. Lawler tells us that Venis promises a win in under three minutes. Road Dogg moves out of the way of a Money Shot. Soon after, Dogg hits his pump handle slam, but Venis kicks out. Venis thinks he's won the match with his feet on the ropes, but referee Tim White saw the cheating. During the argument, Road Dogg rolls Venis up for a two. Dogg finishes off Venis with a DDT that Val sells great. This would be part one of the New Age Outlaws winning singles gold for the second time. (Billy would win the Hardcore title later in the night). This is classic Russo booking, but one that I can actually see the logic in. The Outlaws were an insanely over tag team. Splitting them up should result in an insanely over part time tag team and two new over single wrestlers. To Road Dogg's defense, he was easily the better member of the Outlaws. However, splitting the team up killed the tag team division. Jarrett and Hart needed solid tag teams and D-Lo Brown and Mark Henry just couldn't cut it. Too short to be anything great, but for as short as it was, it was a lot of fun. 2 stars.

Road Dogg (c) vs Goldust - Raw - March 29, 1999
    Taking place the night after Wrestlemania, this is a rematch of the final two men in the four way elimination match. At WM, Ryan Shamrock (Who was dating Goldie at the time) accidentally cost Goldust the match. Afterward, Goldust dumped her and we now have this. Blue Meenie plays the roll of Goldust's "Son" while Goldust is his "Mother." Eh, it's Goldust, what do you expect. Early on, Ryan Shamrock comes out, but Meenie forces her to go back to the locker room. Not much happens for a few minutes. Meenie tries to interfere, but Road Dogg bulldog's his head into Goldust below the belt. Speaking of which, Meenie them grabs the IC title and waits for the perfect time to hit Road Dogg. Once the hit happens, Goldust nails the Curtain Call to win his third IC championship. After the match, Goldust cuts a strange (Even for him) promo about how he knows who he is now and that he has a surprise for everyone that will be revealed real soon. I can't think of anything it could be unless he's talking about going back to WCW. While it was longer than Road Dogg's title win, the match wasn't as entertaining. It's just your basic Raw filler that isn't bad, but you just don't care. 2 Stars.

Goldust (c) vs The Godfather - Raw - April 12, 1999
    Originally booked as Goldust vs The Boss Man, but Godfather comes out and offers one of his hoes to Boss Man to take his spot. Boss Man asks for all five instead and Godfather agrees. These two wrestled the previous week with Godfather thinking he won the belt. Godfather botches some sort of a move where he lifts Goldust up as if he's going to press him up in the air, but he hangs on to Goldust for too long. Goldust lands awkwardly. More botches follow. Godfather hits the Ho Train and gets the win after a poor looking Pimp Drop (Death Valley Driver). Afterward, the hoes come back to the ring proving that either the Godfather reneged on his offer or Boss Man is very fast. The pimp gimmick was Godfather's only over character, but for as over as it was, it's not a character you give a major single's title to. Much like with the Road Dogg, giving him the title only made the IC title look worse. Goldust would be phased out of the WWE by time his departure from the company in late May. It's a shame, I really dug Goldust's character around this time. 1 3/4 Stars.

The Godfather (c) vs Jeff Jarrett - Raw - May 31, 1999
    Owen Hart was booked to win the title from The Godfather at Over the Edge. Once the accident happened, the WWE took the easy approach and just started booking Jarrett against Godfather. This managed to work out seeing how Jarrett and Hart were partners. A few weeks before this match, Godfather defeated Jarrett in a title defense which was Debra as a ho vs title. However, Jarrett reneged on the deal. Godfather continues his awful wrestling. However, Jarrett's a good enough wrestler that he's able to add in some entertaining work (Often time just by himself) that it's not a complete dud. Godfather has everything just about wrapped up when Debra climbs on the apron and opens up her jacket, allowing Jarrett time to recover. One of the hoe's takes offense to this so she gets on the apron and removes her jacket. Foolishly, this allows Debra to hand her Women's title to Jarrett who knocks Godfather out with it. Jarrett wins and gives the fans a much better IC champion. Due to Jarrett, I was going to go easy on this, until the ending. The ending was just an insult to the rich history of the IC title. Godfather sucked and the ending was terrible. That results in a poorly done title change. Thank-God Jarrett has the belt now though. 1 1/2 Stars.

Jeff Jarrett (c) vs Edge - Toronto House Show - July 24, 1999
    For the first time ever, this match was made available to be seen on Edge's recent DVD. Matt Striker and Edge are commentating. This was originally supposed to be Jarrett defending the gold against Ken Shamrock, but for one reason or another, Shamrock missed the show. So Edge, already having one match that night (Teaming with Christian to defeat the APA), gets a free title shot. Edge gets in a few near falls quickly. Jarrett thinks about leaving, but returns to the ring. Edge continues to look as if he can pull off the giant upset. Debra climbs on the apron and tries to distract Edge. Edge moves out of the way from Jarrett attempting to hit him from behind. Off of the ropes, Edge spears Jarrett for the three count. Edge is announced as the new champion, but then the title is returned to Jarrett since Edge wasn't the signed opponent. Blackjack Lanza (Road agent) talks it over with the referee and they decide to let the title change happen. Edge wins his first ever WWE title. While he was hardly in the position to be a champion at this point, Edge was good enough to leave the Toronto fans happy. On top of that, it set-up the natural rematch the very next night at Fully Loaded. Very short, but it's always fun seeing an underdog pull off the upset. The commentating from Edge and Striker wasn't in the moment, but they kept it entertaining. One of the few reasons the Edge DVD was worth buying. 2 Stars.

I ain't gonna beg

Status

I forget how bad the IC division was before Angle/Jericho/Radicals.
    I solemnly swear I am up to no good

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Bagwell on John Cena
    But I think he's bigger than Buff Bagwell. I really do.
    [02:00 AM] Dakstang : girls ain't dudes

I Am Not Your Daddy

Status

Ah, back when the IC title meant something. I miss those days.

Every Ending is a New Beginning.
    Your Lucky Number is None.
    Your Favorite Color is Dead.
    Like Father, Like Son.

Tommy Got Hacked

Watch the Nazi Banksters Crimes Ripple Effect Film.

#pipebombshell

Status

The IC belt was my favourite as a kid to. I like this plan. :D

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

To be fair in 98 The Rock had a really good long reign, including his feud(and loss in the ladder match) to Triple H.

Tommy Got Hacked

Re: Review the last wrestling match you watched

Bump...

Triple H vs Chris Jericho (Last Man Standing match) - Fully Loaded 2000

So I finally saw this match, after hearing it being widely praised by a lot of people, some going as far as saying it is Jericho's best match. I don't know about that, but it was certainly very good. Steve said on msn that this might be the only time Triple H has made somebody look good in defeat. I can't think of any more times, but I'm not about to start bashing HHH, because he was pretty great in this match and made Jericho look very good indeed. The feud was pretty much based around Stephanie and Jericho's treatment of her (verbal insults, kissing her etc) as well as costing Triple H a #1 contendership match. I really enjoyed Jericho as the brave face underdog and its matches like this which make me think it was a terrible decision not to push him to the title as a face. He sold the injured ribs well throughout and I really bought into his struggle against the odds. Triple H dominated for the most part as you would expect, but I loved Jericho's refusal to stay down. One of my favourite moments of the match was when he taunted Triple H every time he got up, eventually giving a crotch chop and getting pedigreed. It was also great that Triple H cockily rested on the ropes as the ref counted Jericho, only for Jericho to make it to his feet and Triple H to go crazy and bring in a steel chair. The epic chairshot Jericho delivered to Triple H to turn the tide was also a great moment, and Triple H was BUSTED WIDE OPEN!~ This was a good example of the blood helping to tell the story and it served as proof that the young gun Jericho had given Triple H a hell of a beating in this one, even though Triple H was eventually able to pull out the win after a suplex through the commentators table, Triple H just beating the 10 count. I think this was a great underdog story with both men contributing a lot to make the match good and Triple H making Jericho look extremely good in defeat. Wouldn't go as far as saying it was Jericho's best match but it was certainly very impressive and would feature high on the lists of both men's greatest matches.

****1/4
    Last edited by Jim; 05-23-2012 at 06:21 AM.

On Vacation

Status

Mark Mero w/ Sable (Goldust) VS Vader

fucking terrible, goldust as sable was lols though

1.5/5

Tommy Got Hacked

CM Punk vs Rey Mysterio - IC title #1 Contendership Match - Armageddon 2008

This was the final of a tournament set up by William Regal to find a worthy #1 contender for his title. I liked the idea of the tournament to give the belt some of its prestige back, as wrestlers were willing to go through a whole King of the Ring style tournament just to get a shot at the gold. This was also interesting because it was the first time these guys had faced each other. Both were faces at the time of course, which provoked some awful King commentary (usually Armageddon is about good vs evil.. but these are two good guys). The match itself was very good, and although I need to rewatch Punk's ECW title win, for now I am going to say this is CM Punk's best match in WWE. I liked the chain wrestling at the start, but the match was basically about speed and counters. This started early with Punk countering 619 with an armdrag and Rey avoiding the Go To Sleep with the same move. There were a lot of cool spots in the match. I always love it when a wrestler locks in a submission, and when the guy goes to grab the rope, they grab that arm and turn it into something else. Punk used this on Rey, and it was cool to see. I think Punk should use more submission moves, especially now he is a heel and will dominate matches more. There were a lot of high spots, mainly provided by Rey, unsurprisingly, but Punk hit his cool dive to the outside. Maybe my favourite moment of the match came when Punk tried to lift Rey for a slam after throwing him against the ropes, but Rey spun round and turned it into an armbar. The finishing stretch was pretty impressive, full of near falls and finisher counters, before Punk finally managed to hit a pretty brutal GTS for the win. REY GOT FUCKED UP!!! There was blood all over him.

I thought long and hard over what rating to give this match... but I have to disappoint Ken by not giving it 4 stars. It was very good, but not quite great in my eyes. Hugely enjoyable match all the same. The search for a **** match (imo of course) in Punk's WWE career goes on.

***3/4
    Last edited by Jim; 05-23-2012 at 06:22 AM.

I Blame Dave Kitson

Status

Samoa Joe vs. Booker T - TNA Victory Road 2008

Started off very well. I was loving the slow build up of the match. Then like most TNA matches it turned to shit. Why would banging the back of your head make the front of your head bleed?

They then had Joe beat the shit out of Booker. I've always thought that having the hometown hero look weak was counterproductive. Put them in a lesser match and have them win over having them lose badly in an important match.

Sting comes out to save Booker...maybe. As this is TNA you don't know what's happening. This is about the time that something better caught my attention. When I returned to the screen Sharmell was counting the pinfall and Booker was walking out with the title. If I remember from last year when I first watched it, Sting hit Joe for reasons unknown to everybody.

''What the fuck am I doing here?''

Tommy Got Hacked

John Cena vs Batista - Summerslam 2008

I thought I'd rewatch this because I hadn't seen it since I watched the PPV live, and I've been giving it **** in threads left and right. Wow... I was wrong. I'm a huge fan of Cena (Batista not so much) and I still consider this a GOOD match, but it is not great by any means, as it has some key flaws and basically just didn't really have enough to it to be a great match. In all honesty, on watching it the 2nd time, Cena pissed me off in this more than Batista did. From his selling of the leg (sold it for a few moves then started jumping around, but this isn't too big of a deal) to, more importantly, his awful weak execution of the STF when he basically just rested without even trying to make it look painful (watch Benoit and learn, John), he wasn't all that great in this. The early going worked, with each man trying to prove they were stronger than the other, and a few power moves being used, and I liked the way Batista worked on Cena's leg after avoiding the first FU attempt, locking in the Figure Four and such, but most of the match was just a Cena power move followed by a Batista power move with no real flow to it. Yes, it was entertaining for the most part seeing these two powerhouses throwing each other around, and like I said, it was a good match, but I think it relied too much on the fact that it was Cena vs Batista to make the match exciting, because it wasn't that well worked a match. Like many "dream matches", they didn't bother doing too much interesting with it and it could have been a lot better. Finish was pretty cool despite the injury though. It's always great when Batista snaps. If they wrestled again I'd expect it to be a lot better than this. Good, but nowhere near great really.

***1/2
    Last edited by Jim; 05-23-2012 at 06:22 AM.

SICK BEATS

Status

The Great Khali vs. Kane - Wrestlemania 23

Yeah, not great this one. I usually like big man matches, but Khali was still a year and a half away from becoming highly entertaining and Kane hasn't been able to bring it in years.

Thread Information