Page 403 of 404 FirstFirst ... 303353393401402403404 LastLast
Results 8,041 to 8,060 of 8069

Thread: Unpopular Wrestling Opinions

Admin in Lockdown

Status
      Country                    England

Re: Unpopular Wrestling Opinions

My problem with the AFI theme is always going to be fans banging the barricade out of time. This Fire Burns for sure is my favourite.

Steve, you're not thinking of the heat.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    China

I like Miseria Cantare the best as a theme but hard agree on the fans constantly screwing up the timing on banging on the barricade. I agree that This Fire Burns is better than CoP as well but the CoP theme fit his character best at the time since some would say coincidentally he was a Cult of Personality himself tricking people into believing he wasn't completely shit.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    I like Miseria Cantare the best as a theme but hard agree on the fans constantly screwing up the timing on banging on the barricade. I agree that This Fire Burns is better than CoP as well but the CoP theme fit his character best at the time since some would say coincidentally he was a Cult of Personality himself tricking people into believing he wasn't completely shit.
    It's quite interesting how the idea that Punk wasn't all that good has gained a lot of traction since he quit the company. I think it's a mixture of: a) Punk being a very public asshat in real life; b) wrestlers nowadays being a hell of a lot crisper in the ring nowadays than Punk. I don't remember hearing that opinion very much back when he was active, but now people say this a lot more.

I don't agree with it, by the way. I'd have Punk as a wrestler over 99% of wrestlers still, and I think his work holds up well. He wasn't the smoothest worker, but he more than made up for it in other ways.

The 100 Greatest WCW Matches - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

Last Real Man Hype

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post

Steve, you're not thinking of the heat.
    No one ever thinks of the heat.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakstang
    You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

Indy Talent

Status
      Country                    United States

Here's one, The Attitude Era wasn't as great as everyone makes it out to be (at least in WWF). While there were a number of positives in the Attitude Era, Austin vs McMahon feud was possibly the best ever, D-X was funny, The Undertaker was at the top of his game, The Rock rose to become the great one that he is, and let's not forget about everything Mick Foley did. But, there were other aspects that were not great. There was a lot of homophobia as well as sexism going on. Women were sex objects there for horny teenage boys, it didn't matter if they knew how to wrestle or not. WWF did go the opposite direction with Meat (which was no better). Val Venis was funny for about two months, the Oddities were just an insult, Kaientai were a negative racial stereotype (remember "I choppy choppy your pee pee?"), making an angle out of Road Warrior Hawk's substance abuse was taking things too far, and I just don't know what to say about The Artist Formerly Known as Goldust. Plus, the Hardcore Division was a joke. It was nothing like ECW.

Don't get me wrong, the Attitude Era was better than anything WWF had done in at least the previous five years. And sure a lot of the negative stuff was similar to what could be seen on Jerry Springer Show, Howard Stern, Bevis and Butthead, and South Park, but that doesn't make it any better.

THE FACE THAT RUNS THE PLACE

King EC

Status

Quote Originally Posted by BattleKat View Post
    Here's one, The Attitude Era wasn't as great as everyone makes it out to be (at least in WWF). While there were a number of positives in the Attitude Era, Austin vs McMahon feud was possibly the best ever, D-X was funny, The Undertaker was at the top of his game, The Rock rose to become the great one that he is, and let's not forget about everything Mick Foley did. But, there were other aspects that were not great. There was a lot of homophobia as well as sexism going on. Women were sex objects there for horny teenage boys, it didn't matter if they knew how to wrestle or not. WWF did go the opposite direction with Meat (which was no better). Val Venis was funny for about two months, the Oddities were just an insult, Kaientai were a negative racial stereotype (remember "I choppy choppy your pee pee?"), making an angle out of Road Warrior Hawk's substance abuse was taking things too far, and I just don't know what to say about The Artist Formerly Known as Goldust. Plus, the Hardcore Division was a joke. It was nothing like ECW.

Don't get me wrong, the Attitude Era was better than anything WWF had done in at least the previous five years. And sure a lot of the negative stuff was similar to what could be seen on Jerry Springer Show, Howard Stern, Bevis and Butthead, and South Park, but that doesn't make it any better.
    This is not that unpopular of an opinion at this point.

That being said I'll still gladly watch any Attitude Era show any day of the week. It was great television, I couldn't really care less that it hasn't aged well. Same time, I have no interest in the Attitude Era "making a comeback". It was great in that time and place, but the wrestling world has to continue to move forward.
    ​​​​​​​​ 2019 King of Wrestling Clique

HOW ABOUT YOU READ THESE THINGS?

Watching TNA's monthly PPVs from the start
    WC's Greatest Superstars in WWE History

Burn It Down!: The Top 25 Matches of Seth Rollins' Career

Main Eventer

Status

The Bouncers are a pretty entertaining duo.
    ROH 2003 - end of 2008 = best years of wrestling ever

Status

Yeah pointing all of the bad, outdated shit in the Attitude Era is pretty well-worn ground at this point. While on the surface saying "The Attitude Era wasn't that great" is kind of a hot take, if you go on to praise all the stuff that people loved and then just punch the easy targets, I wouldn't call it unpopular.

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread | Silk's Degrassi Recaps
    Pathetically Recapping Wrestling's Most Famous Garbage
    WC Rumble Winner 2017, Comic and Game Dork, Mafia Overlord, #Iconic

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

[footnote: Is now the longest reigning WWE Champion in Smackdown history]

WC Hall of Famer

The Artist Formerly Known as Goldust was a great act and the best stuff Dustin had worked at that point in his WWE runs.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Every era of WWE had a lot of shit that sucked. As a television programme it has never been consistent, and there are big downsides to every time period. Besides I'd argue that the only two years of the attitude era really sucked.

1997 is my favourite year for WWE and 2000 would be just behind that. The years that weren't so good were 98 and 99 - the latter may be my least favourite year for WWE programming. 99 is when the shit is completely unwatchable going back,. But then look who was booking that nonsense. Every other year of the attitude era is worth watching in at least some way.

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    Every era of WWE had a lot of shit that sucked. As a television programme it has never been consistent, and there are big downsides to every time period. Besides I'd argue that the only two years of the attitude era really sucked.

1997 is my favourite year for WWE and 2000 would be just behind that. The years that weren't so good were 98 and 99 - the latter may be my least favourite year for WWE programming. 99 is when the shit is completely unwatchable going back,. But then look who was booking that nonsense. Every other year of the attitude era is worth watching in at least some way.
    I would have said the opposite years ago, but these days I'd gladly take 1999 over 1998. 1998 had a few highlights including the Austin/Love matches and some undercard stuff with D-Lo/X-Pac, but otherwise it's a pretty weak year. 1999 saw everyone feeling like a bigger star, the emergence of other tag teams that mattered unlike 1998's with only The New Age Outlaws, the start of the rise of some of the newer talent that would help make 2000 great, and for the most part the World Title didn't disappoint on PPV.

It also doesn't help 1998 that DX's antics now just aren't fun at all. 1999 had plenty of problems, but it was also a year where they found their groove with crash TV booking.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

I find the booking of the main feuds in 98 to be stronger. When I think of 98 I think of the peak of Austin and McMahon, Austin/Foley, the build up to Austin/Taker at Summerslam (even if the match disappointed), the rise of HHH and the Rock as the next generation of stars. I think about stuff like the Deadly Games Tournament which sucked as far as in ring quality goes, but as a compelling story was top notch.

In 99 I think about the Austin vs McMahon feud after it had outstayed its welcome, the higher power debacle, Undertaker at his peak shittiness, swerves all over the place, and confusing faction warfare, Jericho's awful debut and misuse in early months.

I don't know how much I'd credit 99 for the success of 2000. Certainly with the Rock, Hardys and E&C. Outside of that, the main quality of 2000 came from stuff that came about in 2000. The Radicalz improved the in ring quality and debuted in 2000. Jericho and Angle did the same, and while both debuted in 99 they did nothing of note in that year. Triple H only got over as a main event star thanks to Foley in 2000.

I dunno, 99 is a putrid year for wrestling . Not that 98 was that much better, they both sucked.

I do agree that in 99 everyone feels like a massive star though.

I find the booking of the main feuds in 98 to be stronger. When I think of 98 I think of the peak of Austin and McMahon, Austin/Foley, the build up to Austin/Taker at Summerslam (even if the match disappointed), the rise of HHH and the Rock as the next generation of stars. I think about stuff like the Deadly Games Tournament which sucked as far as in ring quality goes, but as a compelling story was top notch.

In 99 I think about the Austin vs McMahon feud after it had outstayed its welcome, the higher power debacle, Undertaker at his peak shittiness, swerves all over the place, and confusing faction warfare, Jericho's awful debut and misuse in early months.

I don't know how much I'd credit 99 for the success of 2000. Certainly with the Rock, Hardys and E&C. Outside of that, the main quality of 2000 came from stuff that came about in 2000. The Radicalz improved the in ring quality and debuted in 2000. Jericho and Angle did the same, and while both debuted in 99 they did nothing of note in that year. Triple H only got over as a main event star thanks to Foley in 2000.

I dunno, 99 is a putrid year for wrestling . Not that 98 was that much better, they both sucked.

I do agree that in 99 everyone feels like a massive star though.
    While I wouldn't necessary disagree with anything you said, I'd still say 1999 had a lot of strengths over 1998 because it was a year of change and slowly moving the pieces together to an awesome 2000. Take Jericho's 1999 booking for example. It wasn't perfect, but even with that questionable booking, Jericho was still being treated far better than he had been through his entire tenure with WCW. As a result, I don't mind the missteps with his 1999 WWE run because it's still an improvement for the guy. Triple H is another example of a guy with a questionable 1999. He was shoved pretty hard down our throats, but he was a new wrestler in the main event scene. The reality is that Hunter's 1998 wasn't as successful as it was meant to be. Instead of using HBK's injury to propel himself into the main event scene, he just couldn't break through to the main event scene or get super over. Hunter may have been the one who won at Summerslam, but it was The Rock that truly benefited from the performance. It took Hunter's new 1999 booking to get him back on the right track and all ready to go to finally succeed as an act once 2000 began.

The biggest difference between 1998 and 1999 is the tag team division. 1999 literally gave us two teams making themselves stars in an one night performance. 1998 couldn't find a decent secondary tag team if their lives depended on it. 1999 produced plenty of notable teams including planting the seeds for a huge 2000. I'm willing to say that 1999 was WWE's best year for tag team wrestling since...1990? Pay Per Views wise, shows mattered more in 1999. I brought it up multiple times when reviewing the 1998 PPVs, but they often felt like three hour editions of Raw. Even WM 14 had a pretty lame build including its World Title, IC Title, and Tag Team Titles matches. 1999's PPVs had a little more thought put into the selection of matches to not only put on better PPVs than 1998, but PPVs that also meant more.

McMahon/Austin did overstay its welcome in 1999, but in the years that followed, we've seen programs stick around far longer to the point that McMahon/Austin doesn't stand out to me much as something that lasted too long. That's 1999 in a nutshell. It's not perfect, everything seems far more decent when compared to other similar issues in other years. I'd much rather deal with some cheesy cult leader Taker than American Bad Ass Taker.

Jam Up Guy

Status

I agree with Shock, it's 1998 for me any day of the week, and 99 has very few redeeming features imo. The shows in both years are all about Austin, but what he's doing in 98 is so much more interesting to me than 99. 98 for me has that great balance of Russo wackiness going through a filter, while 99 just feels like Russo's off the leash (although we'd see what he really looks like off the leash soon enough). Foley is great for a couple of months of 99, but from March to November I'd say that's probably the worst period of his full-time career. In fact, I struggle to name anyone outside of Austin, Rock, Kane and X-Pac who are considered even remotely important that I enjoy watching in 99, and the first two would have far, far better years before and after. While I agree E&C and Hardys certainly helped the midcard, in 99 they were still so insignificant that it can't possibly overcome all the absolute dross.

And while I don't think it's unpopular at all to say the Attitude Era in large parts at best has aged poorly and at worst outright sucked (and I totally agree with that), I do think it perhaps gets something of a bad rap when people watch for workrate or go back and solely watch the PPVs. That era was all about TV, and it was all about the energy and excitement of what was going on. It was can't miss TV, and there aren't many eras you can say that for in wrestling.

Seeing DX and their antics pop up a couple of times though makes me think of two things I thought were unpopular opinions but potentially aren't - 1) outside of the original Shawn/Hunter/Chyna group, DX was never a particularly good stable, and 2) Triple H was the worst member of every version of DX.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

I'd agree with you Jim that 99 was certainly better for the tag division. Even a seemingly makeshift team like Kane and X-Pac did more for the tag division than anyone in 99.

Keef, I agree about D-X on both points. It was never good outside of the initial run up until Wrestlemania 14. I find it ironic that the two big stables of both companies in the 90s spent far more time being bad than good.

Then again, how many stables stay good? Certainly the Shield did but their run was cut off before it got a chance to become stale. Other than that, stables tend to start hot and either fall off (e.g the Nexus) or they add too much to it and it loses its magic (nwo, DX)

Then again, how many stables stay good? Certainly the Shield did but their run was cut off before it got a chance to become stale. Other than that, stables tend to start hot and either fall off (e.g the Nexus) or they add too much to it and it loses its magic (nwo, DX)
    More factions should aspire to be The Dangerous Alliance.

Status

I always had a soft spot for X Factor with Xpac Albert and Justin Credible.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Quote Originally Posted by BlackTiger View Post
    I always had a soft spot for X Factor with Xpac Albert and Justin Credible.
    This definitely feels like an unpopular opinion.

But I'll never turn down a reason to post this theme.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFffg_Wt9HM

I never understood the hatred for that theme.

People's Champion

Status
      Country                    Wales

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    More factions should aspire to be The Dangerous Alliance.
    Which version?

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk
    I have a plan so cunning......

Page 403 of 404 FirstFirst ... 303353393401402403404 LastLast

Thread Information