Page 695 of 695 FirstFirst ... 195595645685693694695
Results 13,881 to 13,887 of 13887

Thread: The BTB Discussion Thread

Underdog

Status

Re: The BTB Discussion Thread

If you were to read a modern day WWE thread, overall I'd assume you just want to be entertained. But what would you be more interested in, somewhat mirroring current WWE with workrate (good matches) or story lines, character development, etc. or a combination?

Forever The Revival

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The Flash View Post
    If you were to read a modern day WWE thread, overall I'd assume you just want to be entertained. But what would you be more interested in, somewhat mirroring current WWE with workrate (good matches) or story lines, character development, etc. or a combination?
    I would say a good combination, I'm a sucker for excellent story telling so I'm all for that, but good matches are great too.

Doubting El Dandy

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The Flash View Post
    A combination of all of the above, but I'd argue "good matches" is the least important. At the end of the day, wrestling is a visual medium. You can do a decent job of getting across a character or a promo in writing, but the best written match will never be as good as the best live match. It's why reading a script would never be as entertaining as actually watching the film.

I would question whether "workrate" actually equals "good matches", though. To me, a good match isn't exclusive from storytelling or character development. If all you're doing with a match is a bunch of spots then, no offence, but I'm not exactly short of good matches to go and watch, and that sounds more entertaining to me than reading someone making one up. But good storytelling or character? That's what will get me invested, and that carries through in to the matches, and it all blends together.

As an example, take what is generally regarded as one of the greatest matches of all time, Bret Hart vs Steve Austin at Mania 13. Is it a good match from a workrate perspective? Absolutely. They're two of the best ever, so when it comes to having "a good match" they can do it in their sleep. But what takes it over the edge is the story. Austin has been trying to bait Bret in to this for months. Austin's a piece of shit psycho who is so dangerous he's actually getting pops. Bret is a goody-goody who has always done the right thing, and is getting booed for being squeaky clean. So the match has Bret go further and further to get the win, but Austin refuses to quit. In the process Bret turns heel because he's becoming so vicious, and Austin turns face because he won't give up, no matter what. THAT is what takes that match over the edge. If it was just Bret and Austin having a back and forth and Austin taps to the Sharpshooter, I doubt people still speak so highly of it 22 years later (holy shit I'm old).

As a BTB example, my vote for "match of the year" in the BTB end of year awards was Wolf Beast's Bryan Danielson vs Jamie Noble in a 30 minute Iron Man Match. Had he written that as a bunch of bland technical wrestling, followed by some spots, followed by some guy wins for some reason, I may have enjoyed it. But the actual match he wrote - that Noble had a plan, it started to go wrong and he completely panicked and ended up getting thrashed - was a brilliant story that made sense in the context of wrestling, wrestled between two interesting characters, that was unique and unlike anything I'd read before. That's why it got my vote.

Underdog

Status

I appreciate the replies Matrix and Keefmoon. And thanks for painting that picture Keef!

Indy Talent

Status
      Country                    United States

Just wanted to let everyone know that i am planning on getting to reviewing shows this week... i have a list of people i gotta look at... im just hitting a stride with writing this PPV out.. i am at about a match a day which for me is an awesome rate, and i dont wanna break that stride...

i do have a discussion topic.. how long does it usually take to write a match out... how do you plan it out... whats your gameplan with writing PPVs

Forever The Revival

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Bigmc123 View Post
    Just wanted to let everyone know that i am planning on getting to reviewing shows this week... i have a list of people i gotta look at... im just hitting a stride with writing this PPV out.. i am at about a match a day which for me is an awesome rate, and i dont wanna break that stride...

i do have a discussion topic.. how long does it usually take to write a match out... how do you plan it out... whats your gameplan with writing PPVs
    I've done recapped matches for my thread so far, and those usually take me 15-30 minutes depending if I know exactly what I wanna do going in, but when I do full matches it usually takes me about an hour and a half to 3 hours. But that's not all writing, I'm terrible with getting distracted. For just time writing it's probably an hour and a half to 2 hours for a full match.

Indy Talent

Status
      Country                    United States

Quote Originally Posted by Matrix View Post
    I've done recapped matches for my thread so far, and those usually take me 15-30 minutes depending if I know exactly what I wanna do going in, but when I do full matches it usually takes me about an hour and a half to 3 hours. But that's not all writing, I'm terrible with getting distracted. For just time writing it's probably an hour and a half to 2 hours for a full match.
    im the same with gettin distracted... i try to like turn everything off when i write, but the quiet gets to me, so i turn on a podcast or TV then get distracted... one thing that i do like to do for my full length matches is i will write an outline of the match out on paper first... like all the spots i wanna hit, so that way i all i gotta do is write out the match with the story elements, the transitions, and the reactions of the wrestlers...

it makes me be able to like take breaks because i can finish up a spot or two then know exactly where to start up again

Thread Information