Page 671 of 672 FirstFirst ... 171571621661669670671672 LastLast
Results 13,401 to 13,420 of 13421

Thread: The BTB Discussion Thread

t h e b o n e l e s s

Status
      Country                    Canada

Re: The BTB Discussion Thread

Due to working nights, I am usually up all night on my days off. So that's usually when I write. Wife's in bed so nobody around to distract me, I toss on an old wrestling event on the network and just write.

Charismatic Enigma

Status
      Country                    United States

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Beast View Post
    Here's a question for anyone that feels like answering...

Where do you all find time for your BTB writing? Is it just a case of writing when you've spare time, or are there periods of certain days you set aside time for writing? And for those of you with wives/partners/children, how much does that affect your ability to have time for your BTB?
    I usually write in my free time. But I put school / work ahead of it. Now that I left my job and went back to school, I am able to write some more and actually read other peoples work again.

"If you're gonna do it..."

Underdog

Status

Spare time. I now work a 9-5 so have a lot more spare time compared to what I used to and depending how well my other hobby of playing poker is going depends how much time I have to write.

Doubting El Dandy

Status
      Country                    UK

Where do you all find time for your BTB writing? Is it just a case of writing when you've spare time, or are there periods of certain days you set aside time for writing? And for those of you with wives/partners/children, how much does that affect your ability to have time for your BTB?
    It's mostly that I put time aside. My wife and I split childcare so that we each have 2 days a week to focus on ourselves and our hobbies, and this is one of mine. Sometimes I head to the gym, sometimes I play with a band, and sometimes I take myself down to the local library and churn out quite a lot then. It sounds super nerdy I know, but it's one of my ways of keeping my sanity with a young child.

Aside from that, I have to take breaks at work to clear my head, so writing an angle or two is a good way for me to do that, and I also get quite a lot written late at night because my son's in bed and my wife's asleep as she starts work early.

As to whether having a family makes it harder or not, in some ways it was easier when I wrote a BTB ten plus years ago when I had no responsibilities. I think it's energy levels. I'm just bloody exhausted all the time. Sometimes I'll write something and read it back the next day and think it's complete shit and I was just sleep-deprived. But to be fair, that's also when I come up with some of my favourite ideas, like the Matt Hardy advert.

But at the same time, I had way more of a social life and disposable income when I was younger too, whereas now I can come home and see my boy and do some writing and spend no money, which is kinda perfect in a way. At least, it was no money before I decided to go VIP. Haven't brought that up at home yet...!

Jobber

Status

In my spare time and when I feel like it.

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

I write in my spare time but finding it increasingly hard to find the spare time where I feel like writing. With working a 9-5, attempting to start up an online business as a side hustle, and my new fitness/weight loss regime, time is of the essence. Then when I get the time, sometimes I don't want to write, I want to binge watch a tv show, or maybe just watch some wrestling, or do some gaming, whatever it may be.

Plus the girlfriend keeps me on my toes as well.

t h e b o n e l e s s

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Stojy View Post
    Then when I get the time, sometimes I don't want to write, I want to binge watch a tv show, or maybe just watch some wrestling, or do some gaming, whatever it may be.
    Literally happened to me these past couple days. Had planned on pumping out a bunch of reviews, and getting me next show spellchecked and what not to occupy my days off, now I've wasted my days off binging Netflix like an idiot and am gonna have to do some writing and reviewing at work tonight!
    Last edited by ranthellacious; 12-05-2018 at 11:47 AM.

Chikara Trainee

Status

I actually write when I watch Raw or Smackdown. Especially with how brutal Raw has been lately. Also its tough to write with a full time job and a social life. A show can sometimes take me a week to write, other times a month or two

-ICONIC-

Charismatic Enigma

Status

If anyone has some time on their hands to read something I've been working on the side, BTB related, PM me!

Doubting El Dandy

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Rasky View Post
    If anyone has some time on their hands to read something I've been working on the side, BTB related, PM me!
    Not got a huge amount of time over the next few days, but feel free to send it over and I'll do my best

Main Eventer

Status
      Country                    Wales

Had a lack of motivation recently to write with home life and work taking over but seem to have the itch again after writing a segment last night. Hopefully churn Summerslam out early 19 as I’ve given up on getting it done 2018.

t h e b o n e l e s s

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Sykotic View Post
    Had a lack of motivation recently to write with home life and work taking over but seem to have the itch again after writing a segment last night. Hopefully churn Summerslam out early 19 as I’ve given up on getting it done 2018.
    Dammit man, there goes my hope of a Christmas miracle! Haha I got a whole new reason to look forward to the new year now...Summerslam and The Cruiserweight Climax!!

Jobber

Status

What are people's thoughts on a Royal Rumble match? How would you go about writing it? Have you ever read a match in full, or do you mostly just skim read the entrances and eliminations?

Backyarder

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Kingpin View Post
    What are people's thoughts on a Royal Rumble match? How would you go about writing it? Have you ever read a match in full, or do you mostly just skim read the entrances and eliminations?
    The most in-depth I have went into it is I'd do an entrance, a couple of lines explaining what happened in-between entrances and highlight any eliminations that took place, and move on to the next entrant. Once #30 entered, I'd go into my most detailed writing as the match draws to an end.

I found this to work best, rather than just highlighting entrants and eliminations. This style of writing I found useful for those who want more detail on what's happening in the Rumble, and those who just care about who enters or gets eliminated.

Hope this helps!

Charismatic Enigma

Status

I wrote a Royal Rumble way back when I first started around here. I kind of gave a little glimpse of action in between entrances, but it's hard not to repeat yourself which I think is the hardest, There is only so many times you can say "X tries to eliminate Y but fails" and "X is able to thrown over the top rope by Y, but he lands on the apron and returns to the action." That being said, it is one of my favorite matches I've written despite it being nowhere near the potential I know it could be now.

I just put a link to it here in case you need an example.

Main Eventer

Status
      Country                    Wales

Rumbles are quite easy to write I feel. Think I won match of the year with the only one I’ve written in A Nee Direction. Page 25 in case you want to check it out.

Best advice is to set your order of entry and elimination and then add in stories. Old connections, current feuds, future storylines, surprise returns etc. Remember the Rumble is the first step on the road to WrestleMania.

Doubting El Dandy

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Kingpin View Post
    Personally, the Royal Rumble is pretty much my favourite match type, so I'd love to read it in more detail. Not ridiculously detailed, because I generally find it hard to get through real blow-by-blow accounts, but I'd love to be able to follow through. For my BTB, I can't wait to get to the Rumble to be able to have some fun and really book it out.

But as with anything, do what you think is best. No point in getting really detailed if you'll find it dull and end up writing nothing of interest. Just have fun with it and see where it takes you.

Shoulda planned ahead

Status
      Country                    Ireland

I’d really just echo the sentiments from Sykotic and Keefmoon. The Rumble match has always been my favourite to write, mainly through just the planning of the match alone. Sometimes the actual writing of the match can be a bit of a slog when you’ve got one of those periods where things cool down. My only suggestion that might differ is that I’d firstly jot down the angles you want to further/start through the match, and start to work out your entrants around those different plot points.

Curtain Jerker

Status

I genuinely hope I can get to the Rumble because they are so much fun to write.

Just as I started to really churn through a show or two, I haven't even touched my laptop in a week with how work has been. Drats

Jobber

Status

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Sounds like you all like a Rumble, so I'll be getting my teeth sunk into that shortly.

Here's another question for you - how on earth do you get the ideal spacing when writing shows?? I always have to go in and make spaces when editing the show into the forum, and then even when I've done that and post it, it still manages to find a way to mess itself up.

Thread Information