Thread: Ed's Top 25 Matches of 2020

Admin in Lockdown

Status
      Country                    England

Ed's Top 25 Matches of 2020

Everyone enjoying the Boneyard match not realising it would open the door to so many shitty cinematic matches.

2020, a year we all look back on fondly.

Personally I had a great year, but for most it was a challenge and a struggle and the real life events of the year be it The COVID-19 Pandemic, the thought-provoking BLM protests, or an exhausting US Presidential campaign meant we probably needed our favourite forms of entertainment than ever before, even if it was just for some escapism. Problem is if wrestling was that sense of escapism for you, wrestling fucking sucked this year so you were out of luck. It should be no surprise that 2020 was a bad year for wrestling when it was a bad year for lots in entertainment business, but there were unique circumstances going on that made it harder to enjoy wrestling this year. Without crowds, wrestling was a hollower experience and even when crowds came back later in the year in Japan, they reacted as robots who weren't allowed to chant or react naturally, just clap. It's as if every match post February has to be graded with a * of 'this would of been better with a hot crowd behind it'. That also lead to some internal battles on whether it was right or wrong to be running shows at all during the pandemic, and if it was morally right to support promotions that were putting the wrestlers in the position of picking their job over their and their families health. While the big promotions had the backing to continue running shows, the smaller companies couldn't; it feels like GCW was the only independent promotion running shows in 2020 and they're fucking garbage so it didn't really contribute to anything to the year. Obviously the Speaking Out scandal was a difficult period of time for the business, and personally made me fall out of love with wrestling after being such a strong champion of the likes of David Starr. The deaths of Hana Kimura and Brodie Lee, both tragic for different reasons but gutting all the same, was yet another liver punch to suck up this year.

Not to mention, the biggest wrestling company in the world had easily their worst year of the 21st Century as they struggled to be a company run by a 80 year old who is at this point out of touch by multiple generations, and New Japan comfortably had their worst year of their modern glory years. I've never been more thankful to Tony Khan.

So yeah, wrestling in 2020 was pretty awful for a multitude of reasons. That's why this year I'm only doing a Top 25 list instead of my usual Top 100. I can't in good faith tell you there was 100 great matches this year because there wasn't. If I had more motivation to watch other Japanese promotions maybe I'd of gotten to 50, but I didn't because it was so hard to enjoy clap crowd wrestling. So for the worst year in wrestling history, it's just the 25 matches I have to recommend. The good news is I won't be stretching this out into February and March as I usually do. It'll be a one and done post of the Top 25 matches and we can end the 2020 nostalgia today.

Here we go:

#25 - January 27th
    Mens Royal Rumble - WWE Royal Rumble

I used to use position 100 as the vanity/honourable mention kind of spot, but 25 is gonna have to be it this year. I did think of using this for the Stadium Stampede match, but I don't think there was a bigger hoot of the year than the mens Royal Rumble. Easily the most fun rumble of the modern era with a captivating first arc of Brock Lesnar dominating everyone and leading up to his elimination by Drew McIntyre - the best piece of booking WWE did all year that arguably 'made' Drew. Then there's the big Edge return that's obviously a huge moment and even if I hate the match, they start setting up Orton/Edge here so credit to WWE for finally working out what this match is supposed to be. Drew and Roman as the final two looking back on it now feels like them setting the tone of the year with them finishing the year both as world champions.

#24 - September 27th
    Roman Reigns Vs Jey Uso - WWE Clash of Champions

Not a strong workrate match, but Roman looked like the biggest star he's ever been, and I was captivated by what I was seeing even if Jey never once looked like losing. This is hurt a little by them running the same match again a month later at Hell in a Cell and feeling fatigued by commentators screaming 'Head of the Table' and 'Tribal Chief', but in the moment this was the best heel work of the year I thought.

#23 - October 3rd
    Eric Young Vs Eddie Edwards - Impact Wrestling Victory Road

I didn't expect to find myself in this thread too much this year, and while MCMG Vs The North was good, it wasn't strong enough to be recommended. However, Young defending the title against Edwards was one of my surprise gems of the year. Young here as the heel champion desperate to retain was fantastic, the way he went after the ankle of Edwards that was already injured before the match was top drawer. He also got a cut under his eye early doors that made him look even more like a madman. Edwards is always solid, but to get something more than solid out of him, it has to come from his opponent, and he got a good one in Eric Young here.

#22 - October 16th
    Jay White vs Tomohiro Ishii - NJPW G1 Climax Night 17

I have still not come around on Jay White, he's still being plugged into the wrong spot and the wrong matches for his ability, but for one night of the year it all came together for me and he was finally enjoyable to watch. My man, Tomohiro Ishii finally getting his moment in a Sumo Hall main event to decide the Block A winner. You know that unfortunately this is the best it will ever be for him, and there might not ever be another main event on this scale for him, so you've gotta appreciate the little victories he has. 25 minutes of great action as Ishii pulls off the upset to play spoiler and cost Jay White a spot in the G1 Finals.

#21 - September 27th
    Jeff Hardy Vs AJ Styles Vs Sami Zayn - WWE Clash of Champions

I hate modern ladder matches, but this one felt like the best one in years where 3 guys with plenty of miles on the clock went out there to have nutty match with some wild bumps. Maybe the best use of handcuffs in wrestling in a decade - Sami out smarted everyone and I'll remember him handcuffing Jeff's ear to a ladder much more than I would any number of standard bumps onto a ladder..

#20 - January 4th
    Will Ospreay Vs Hiromu Takahashi - NJPW Wrestle Kingdom Night 1

In light of there not being much Lucha to shout about this year, and BOSJ being unremarkable, this stayed strong all year as my favourite fast paced, crazy, spotty, high flying Juniors match of the year.

#19 - April 5th
    Rhea Ripley Vs Charlotte Flair - WWE Wrestlemania Night 2

Despite all my criticisms of why this match was taking place and how bad it would be for Rhea to lose to Charlotte, this match totally overdelivered on my expectations and was easily the best match at Wrestlemania (for those that don't consider Boneyard a wrestling match, which it wasn't). Perhaps we were all getting used to how loud the wrestlers came across without a crowd to drown them out, but for me that worked to the advantage of this match as Rhea's screams sold the good leg work from Charlotte. Rhea looked every bit the next star of the company so of course Charlotte won and never gave her a win back when she dropped the title.

#18 - November 7th
    Kenny Omega Vs Hangman Page - AEW Full Gear

Really hot opener for AEW's 2nd best PPV of the year where the breakdown of the Kenny/Hangman tag team came to a head in this #1 contenders match. Well paced match that saved some tricks up their sleeves for future big matches with each other. When this match finished I had to sadly come to the sad realisation that Kenny was my wrestler of the year. 2020 had delivered it's biggest swerve yet.

#17 - July 22nd
    Cody Vs Eddie Kingston - AEW Dynamite

Easily the pick of the Cody TNT title defences, and the most gripped by television wrestling I've seen during lockdown. It's also one of the better debuts I've seen in years as Eddie gets to do everything he's good at (including the promo beforehand) against the top star in the company, hold his own, lose, but lose in such a fashion where he made his statement and there was no way he wasn't getting signed afterwards. In a year where there wasn't much to feel good about, Eddie Kingston finally finding a home in a big promotion was pure joy.

#16 - November 18th
    Io Shirai Vs Rhea Ripley - NXT

I can say with confidence these have been the best two womens wrestlers in WWE (and therefore America) this year, and it's great they managed to go at it 1 on 1 for the title before the year was over. Think they had a short match in the middle of the year, but this one was for all the marbles. Takeover quality for sure as they go AT IT. Rhea getting her ear mangled and bloody gives it that extra edge of nastiness too. Loved the finish with the table spot directly into the moonsault, Rhea does the job clean which makes Io and the title look great, but also protects Rhea a little that she had to have a one-two punch of powerbomb through the table and the moonsault to stay down for 3.

#15 - October 5th
    Kento Miyahara Vs Zeus - AJPW Champions Carnival Finals

These two often have good matches with each other, but this was a level above. Big stakes match in the Carnival final (ignore that Zeus just lost to Suwama in his title match though), and I felt like the action didn't let up for the 31 minutes this match went - Go Shiozaki might learn a thing or two from this match (Shameless Dylan bait)

#14 - January 4th
    Kazuchika Okada Vs Kota Ibushi - NJPW Wrestle Kingdom Night 1

This came down a little on the rewatch as I previously had it top 10, but there's a few botches in it and Ibushi's final comeback was totally unnecessary. However, this feels like one of the last main events in New Japan that really delivered for me. Yes it takes a bit of time to get going, but once Ibushi puts on his serious face and starts destroying Okada, the match becomes gripping and satisfying. A love letter to Gedo's Golden Age of New Japan that we didn't know at the time ended on this weekend.

#13 - February 14th
    Zack Sabre Jr Vs Will Ospreay - Rev Pro High Stakes

Remember how good everyone was feeling about the future of British Wrestling back on Valentines Day when Will beat Zack in a tremendous match and cut that promo either side of Michael Oku and Giselle Shaw talking about how proud he was and how it came off as a turning the tide moment for the scene that had taken a battering thanks to WWE signing away a lot of British talent. Feels like that should be a picture on a 'wrestling images that precede unfortunate events' twitter account looking back at it. It's taking a lot of good will on how I felt in the moment to not cut this.

#12 - January 12th
    Jordan Devlin Vs Tyler Bate - NXT UK Takeover Blackpool II

Two great young wrestlers being given a rare opportunity on a WWE program to show how great they can really be. This was the match of the evening despite there being no strong story, just two guys going out there to prove who the better wrestler was. There's a couple moments in there that I don't love, the spanish fly spot in particular takes too much time to set up for the impact it has, but as an overall package this was excellent. It's such a shame this is all we really have of Tyler Bate in 2020.

#11 - March 8th
    Daniel Bryan Vs Drew Gulak - WWE Elimination Chamber

The great thing for me was it never felt like an exhibition match or we're deliberately cooperating in this transition spot because we're technical wrestlers and we're indulging ourselves with spots we can't do against others in the company. It's not the most gripping of angles you'll ever see, but the story of Gulak saying he knows what Bryan's weak points are and Bryan challenging him to prove it worked and was a consistent theme of the match from start to finish. Great match, told a good story and it's a match that should of elevated Gulak up the card now because Bryan really put in the selfless work to raise his stock. But, it's WWE so Drew Gulak ended up in 24/7 skits before the year was out. Always good to see the GOAT showcase what he can do.

#10 - February 29th
    Orange Cassidy VS PAC - AEW Revolution

A big two fingers up at those that judged Cassidy based on gifs and had never seen him wrestle a serious match where he fires up. He had the crowd in the palms of his hands, those that say he can't wrestle or he's exposing the business are just out to lunch and need to get with the program. He might have been overexposed since this match, but in the moment he felt like one of the hottest acts in wrestling. PAC too was a perfect opponent, a true bastard. It's hard to imagine this match being executed any better.

#9 - May 26th
    AJ Styles Vs Daniel Bryan - WWE Smackdown

The IC tournament had been a really good source of enjoyable TV matches, previously highlighted by Bryan Vs Gulak, but I think this one was probably better than that. Plenty of time to showcase what these guys could do, matwork was really nice but the selling of it was beyond what you normally see in WWE and that made everything so much better. Kinda enjoyed there was no big false finish at the end like Bryan not kicking out of the forearm, he got caught with AJ's two finishers and that was enough to end it.

#8 - February 26th
    Kenny Omega Vs PAC - AEW Dynamite

Best Ironman match since Sasha/Bayley at Takeover Respect. Well paced match, 30 minutes a breeze, followed the standard ironman formula but didn't feel boring at all. Omega with great selling in the 30 minutes to sell the exhaustion of the match.

#7 - January 5th
    Kazuchika Okada Vs Tetsuya Naito - NJPW Wrestlekingdom Night 2

Two years after he arguably should of just won the title, New Japan finally give Naito his night in the Tokyo Dome, defeating Okada to unify both the IWGP Heavyweight and IC titles. If they wanted this to feel like a bigger deal they should of just had a normal one show WrestleKingdom and have more than a 1 day announcement that this match was going to take place, but hey it still felt big as these two stars stared each other down before locking up. A quintessential New Japan epic, with a stronger theme running through it than normal with the Naito knee injuries following his match with Jay White on Jan 4th to make his efforts chasing down his 'Destino' even more sympathetic. Naito should of won with the Stardust Press though, that would of tied things better to the match at Wrestlekingdom 12.

#6 - January 25th
    Imperium Vs Undisputed Era - NXT/NXT UK Worlds Collide

I think they had a lot going against them in the match, character wise it's heel vs heel and even though there's been some interference angles going on, it's felt hollow like they're only fighting because there's this weird NXT/NXT UK show going on, Imperium haven't really gotten that over even in the UK aside from Walter so the crowd was always going to be more in the favour of UE and then Wolf gets injured very early into the match so a lot of it has to be wrestled on the fly. Survivor Series was an utter disappointment for Walter fans to see him used so cheaply, but this was more on the money. He looked fantastic here and was booked to be the star of the match. Aichner and Axel also had their best outings in WWE so I think the match will do a lot for them too. Roddy and Kyle killed it as they always do too. Wild, gang warfare type match, I loved it.

#5 - October 25th
    Bayley Vs Sasha Banks - WWE Hell in a Cell

Trust Sasha to have another HIAC match that shows up the men by her intensity and hate and creativity and her willingness to make the match seem more dangerous than your usual match. She has to be considered one of the best HIAC workers of all time now because all 3 of them have been a hit and the MOTN on each show. Bayley played her role really well too and it was refreshing to see a title match with her not have a BS finish, to say she had the title for over a year, this was probably the only good match in that time. These two have great chemistry, and thankfully all the time invested in leading to this moment paid off. You have to sit through the usual WWE hardcore match tropes (can't go one PPV without kendo sticks) and spot set ups, but these two made it work and enjoyable.

#4 - September 19th
    Minoru Suzuki Vs Tomohiro Ishii - NJPW G1 Night 1

GRADE ONE CLIMAX BABY. I may have been on a high from spending a summers day drinking cider with some mates on a rare non-lockdown weekend in England, but I came into this opening day of the G1 show really down about New Japan and the start of a month long tournament of there's, but the ever consistent Ishii and Suzuki put on a great showing that was the perfect remedy for a lack of enthusiasm for the G1. Alas, I was tricked. The G1 rarely touched this level of quality again all month.

#3 - September 20th
    Hiroshi Tanahashi Vs Tetsuya Naito - NJPW G1 Climax Night 2

But it did touch it the following day! Someone as sloppy as Tetsuya Naito shouldn't be this high on a MOTY list, especially now we're years removed from me actually enjoying him as a wrestler and being invested in his career, but these two turned back the clock on their fantastic trilogy of matches to have another superb contest. I didn't think Suzuki/Ishii would get beat for my favourite match of the G1, but these two together again delivered magic.

#2 - February 29th
    Kenny Omega and Hangman Page Vs Young Bucks - AEW Revolution

We've all seen the Matt sells his back match before from these two, but it takes on a new meaning when Hangman is deliberately going for it after spitting on him, that's how bad the issues between them are getting that he's not playing, he's putting the titles above the Elite and he'll put Matt out of action if he has to to remain champion. Bucks are also better as heels and they were clearly the heels in the storyline so I loved the heat they were getting, especially Matt. And then Kenny was so good in the match from his storytelling to his selling of the shoulder and how he couldn't land the one winged angel because of the damage done in the Ironman match. Comparing this to Gargano level melodrama is an insult, I thought they walked the line perfectly on facial expressions and telling the story of frayed friendships and the competition and glory comes first before being friends. I did feel they went a little too far and could of shaved 4-5 minutes off, but I actually think this is better in retrospect when the other two big matches on the night fell a little flat and were angle heavy more than big moves heavy. On a Takeover, you'd get every match on the show be this crazy 5-10 minute closing stretch and the whole show becomes exhausting, but in AEW they save it for just the one match to make the biggest impact. It was Bucks Vs Kenny and Hangman, it was always going to be that crazy at the end. And then at the end, you know you're telling a great story when you're excited over a non-turn rather than just going the shock route of doing a turn even though it's the wrong call. I loved this.

#1 - October 29th
    WALTER VS Ilja Dragunov - NXT UK

The most brutal match to be fought under the WWE banner. It shouldn't be the case that a match from NXT UK can top a list of the best matches in the entire world, but that's 2020 or you. Expect the unexpected. However, what probably wasn't unexpected was that Walter and Ilja turned on the magic again to have another match in their series that delivered in spades. Yeah I'm probably biased because these are two of my favourite wrestlers and they're two of the European lads that didn't turn out to be creeps, but check the ratings on things like GRAPPL and Cagematch, this match was universally loved. Perhaps this was the only match of the year that benefitted not having a crowd, and not just because the UK fans would of chanted some dumb football chants about shoes off if you love Ilja, but because everything sounded and resonated louder. Walter and Ilja's chops always sounded loud, but this was blood curdlingly loud. They're 2017 Carat final got my #2 spot 3 years ago, but in 2020 they went one better. I've watched it multiple times now and always come away thinking it's the MOTY.

Lets hope for 2021 There's more than 25 matches I love in the year.
    ​​​
    ​​​ ​​​​​​

Ed's Favourite Threads

Ed Reviews Everything l Ed's Kings Road Journey

Ed's Top Matches of the Year Lists

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: Ed's Top 25 Matches of 2020

Great list Eduardo. Pretty standard fare, but what are you gonna do? The year wasn't slam packed with great matches. Though I do have to say we got more bangers during the pandemic than I could have anticipated. At least we had EY vs. Edwards as an unexpected treat.

Out of curiosity, were The Fight Pit and Sami vs. Tessa at Hard To Kill anywhere near your list?

WAKE UP

Status

Guessing you didn't rate the first Balor vs O'Reilly match then?
    Talk about the best matches of the year here:

WWE | AEW | New Japan | Other

Admin in Lockdown

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The EC View Post
    Out of curiosity, were The Fight Pit and Sami vs. Tessa at Hard To Kill anywhere near your list?
    The Fit Pit not so much, I enjoyed it but had a couple of problems with it and I think I preferred the non-gimmick version of Riddle Vs Thatcher.

Sami Vs Tessa was close, that would of been top 50 for me. I think Young/Edwards just topped it as a better match and with only 25 spots it's hard to find 2 spots for Impact.

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    Guessing you didn't rate the first Balor vs O'Reilly match then?
    That was a late cut, it was essentially top 30. I really enjoyed it, but I think the rematch this week was even better and looking back on what I said at the time in the YES/NO 2020 thread, I didn't see it as MOTYC level at the time.
    ​​​
    ​​​ ​​​​​​

Ed's Favourite Threads

[be more kind]

Status

ZSJ/Ospreay & Tyler/Devlin really do feel like they're from a different lifetime. RIP BritWres.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    China

I'll go more in depth on this list for the weekend but one thing that stood out is on your Ospreay Hiromu pick you basically just said that it was your pick of the liter for Junior wrestling. (Although I would recommend Titan/Soberano from CMLL Aniversario if you haven't seen it for a Lucha pick) what about Desperado vs Hiromu? I thought that stood out more and had recency bias so I thought it was surprising a bit.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    China

Alright let's get to this.

25. I thought this was one of the best RRs in years. In the past decade they've wavered from borderline unwatchable drek (Batista year, 40 man year), to mostly borderline unwatchable drek with a couple of good moments (Becky year). This was an actual great match in the context of the RR gimmick with multiple logical storylines getting advanced and a huge starmaking performance with Drew. Awesome match & a delightful return to form.

24. I actually think this match is just as guilty as the Boneyard of something great that inspired completely shitty followups to it, but it's definitely the best of this godawful Roman match type by far.

23. I liked it, don't get me wrong. But top 25 of the year? American wrestling really has been shit this year.

22. I agree with everything you said and how can you not love Ishii beating the world's most overpushed wrestler? But still, I doubt this would have even made my top 25 of purely NJP matches this year.

21. Completely agree, great ladder match in an era they've been killed as special anymore.

20. I reiterate my comments a few days ago.

19. I mostly agree, one of the strongest women's matches of the year, but Charlotte is like WWE's version of Jay White. So clearly overpushed and a net negative it's hard for me to even enjoy her good matches.

18. A very good match, in American wrestling I could see this being a top 20 contender.

17. I liked Cody & Darby better. Kingston is much better as a promo than an in-ring performer.

16. I had totally forgotten about this match literally 2 weeks after it happened. But upon review that was on me more than them as it was very good.

15. I loved this at the time but Zeus immediately to Suwama totally shot my heart for this. It would still be a top 15 match of the year but it feels like it was ultimately meaningless, unlike those Go matches which were overly long but at least had more heart to them.

14. Pretty much agree. The best match of the 2 WK shows.

13. I liked their NJPW match better and Will actually surprised me in it but neither would have approached my top 10. Considering how much lower I've been on these guys for like 3 years it's not surprising.

12. I love that you found a way to fit your boy Bate into this.

11. This is about exactly where I would have this. Bryan & Gulak are awesome, breaking news.

10. I mean I like OC too but top 10!? A dramatic call to an unexpectedly good match.

9. Top 5 US match IMO. Great stuff.

8. ^

7. You liked this match? I thought you criticized Naito's no selling ways when it happened. And I agree with you or whoever said that more than top 10! Naito really is just such a shit worker all the time. I get this was a huge moment and all that but I didn't think it was nearly MOTY level.

6. Yeah this was great, but I am questioning your sanity with this many NXT UK matches on this list.

5. Wonderful match with intensity and aggressiveness that also wasn't slop filled like Sasha's feud with Charlotte, the only thing taking this out of my top 10 outright was the convoluted weapon spots Bayley had to give up on. Great match otherwise.

4. A great match but I preferred others in the G1. Surprised to see such a high rating but it's hard to argue with Ishii getting high Mark's.

3. The best match of the G1 and it snuck in my top 10 outright.

2. I'm probably one of the few that liked the Ironman match as much but this was a top 15 match for me. Definitely one of the best on American shores and your point is too true on Page's non-turn.

1. It was only #2 on my list but it's hard to argue with it being #1. If an NXT UK match is universally loved, how can you argue it's greatness?

Congratulations on making a list. Too bad there wasn't even more great stuff for a full one, but 25 totally gets the job done.

Admin in Lockdown

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    I'll go more in depth on this list for the weekend but one thing that stood out is on your Ospreay Hiromu pick you basically just said that it was your pick of the liter for Junior wrestling. (Although I would recommend Titan/Soberano from CMLL Aniversario if you haven't seen it for a Lucha pick) what about Desperado vs Hiromu? I thought that stood out more and had recency bias so I thought it was surprising a bit.
    Cheers for taking the time to leave comments on everything Dylan.

Dude I was so out of the loop this year I didn't even know Aniversario went ahead. I'm sure those two had a banger though.

Depsy/Hiromu is a little like your issue with Kento/Zeus where Despy going straight back under the mask and being a midcard Junior kind of sours me on that whole 2nd act of that match. I enjoyed the match, but thought what would make it top 25 of the year worthy is that last 10 minutes where the mask comes out and they go nuts and get the kind of reactions from the clap crowds that we haven't heard all year. The magic has gone from it somewhat now he's just sticking as El Desperado.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    24. I actually think this match is just as guilty as the Boneyard of something great that inspired completely shitty followups to it, but it's definitely the best of this godawful Roman match type by far.
    In the moment I loved it, honestly if the HIAC rematch didn't happen this would of been even higher but in the end it was somewhat on the chopping block. I get people not liking the narration style match though.

23. I liked it, don't get me wrong. But top 25 of the year? American wrestling really has been shit this year.
    I mean you're not wrong that American Wrestling had a bad year outside of AEW, I just really enjoyed Eric Young's work in this one and thought they did ever so well to get me engaged in a match with literally no crowd to create some atmosphere.

19. I mostly agree, one of the strongest women's matches of the year, but Charlotte is like WWE's version of Jay White. So clearly overpushed and a net negative it's hard for me to even enjoy her good matches.
    Never heard that comparison before but it works so well. Keep fighting the good Jay White hate fight on those airwaves Dylan.

17. I liked Cody & Darby better. Kingston is much better as a promo than an in-ring performer.
    I agree that Kingston is a better promo (and a stand up guy in a world of scumbags) than he is an in-ring guy, but I loved this too and thought it was his best match of the year.

15. I loved this at the time but Zeus immediately to Suwama totally shot my heart for this. It would still be a top 15 match of the year but it feels like it was ultimately meaningless, unlike those Go matches which were overly long but at least had more heart to them.
    Totally get it, and I could see people being even higher on this and having it top 10, but the meaninglessness of it all puts a ceiling on it for me. The Go matches however are just never gonna work for me.

13. I liked their NJPW match better and Will actually surprised me in it but neither would have approached my top 10. Considering how much lower I've been on these guys for like 3 years it's not surprising.
    Interesting cause I wasn't too high on the NJPW match at all, wouldn't of made top 100 for me.

12. I love that you found a way to fit your boy Bate into this.
    Hey now! It's not just a pity vote for Bate, believe me I don't want to give Devlin a showcase here, but my Grappl ratings said I loved this back in January so I have to trust past Ed

10. I mean I like OC too but top 10!? A dramatic call to an unexpectedly good match.
    It gets the Redemption bump for being a great addition to the show of the year, but I honestly think it's one of the most perfect matches of the year. I don't think I'm too out of touch here, I expect this to do very well on the VOW MOTY vote.

7. You liked this match? I thought you criticized Naito's no selling ways when it happened. And I agree with you or whoever said that more than top 10! Naito really is just such a shit worker all the time. I get this was a huge moment and all that but I didn't think it was nearly MOTY level.
    Criticising Naito definitely sounds like me This got a big bump from rewatching both WK main events before I published the list, because at the time I really preferred the Ibushi/Okada match, but I've swapped sides on that now.

6. Yeah this was great, but I am questioning your sanity with this many NXT UK matches on this list.
    Come on now, you know if Walter's in the match it's gonna have a chance of being on my MOTY list! This is more of an NXT match anyway with it being in the states.

2. I'm probably one of the few that liked the Ironman match as much but this was a top 15 match for me. Definitely one of the best on American shores and your point is too true on Page's non-turn.
    When it gets Kenny and Bucks critics agreeing it's a great match, then it's pretty much a universal hit. I think this wins the VOW poll.

Congratulations on making a list. Too bad there wasn't even more great stuff for a full one, but 25 totally gets the job done.
    Cheers buddy!
    ​​​
    ​​​ ​​​​​​

Ed's Favourite Threads

Thread Information