Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 42

Thread: NJPW Power Struggle 2020

  1. #1
    TAKE THE DREAM~

    MC 16's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    The Lesnar Farm
    Posts
    8,959
    Rep Power
    1529472
      Country                    England

    NJPW NJPW Power Struggle 2020


    KOPW 2020 Title Match: Toru Yano (c) vs. Zack Saber Jr.
    NEVER Openweight Title Match: Minoru Suzuki (c) vs. Shingo Takagi
    Special Singles Match: Kazuchika Okada vs. Great-O-Khan
    IWGP US Heavyweight Title Contendership Match: KENTA (h) vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi
    Tokyo Dome Title Contendership Match: Kota Ibushi (h) vs. Jay White
    IWGP Heavyweight & IWGP Intercontinental Title Match: Tetsuya Naito (c) vs. "King of Darkness" EVIL

    One benefit to these COVID era shows is that a lot of the undercard is cut out making the whole shows meaningful in some way. The main event is what it is. It'll hopefully wrap up that feud and we can move on. KENTA vs Tanahashi looks interesting because it could go either way. Tanahashi doesn't seem to have much planned for Wrestle Kingdom so Moxley would be a big enough opponent to slot him in against.


  2. #2
    RainShaker's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Korakuen Hall Safe Standing Section
    Posts
    21,770
    Rep Power
    2391071
      Country                    Jamaica

    Re: NJPW Power Struggle 2020

    I will hate Jay White forever if he takes this from Ibushi. The more I've been thinking, the more this might be Ibushi's last chance (He's 38) for a big run. His rivalry with Naito has been quite fun tbh and I don't mind seeing them at WK. This is the time for NJPW to really go for it with Ibushi. Naturally, I think that'd mean Okada coming into the picture down the line but Ibushi vs Okada at WK was NJPW's last proper great 'big' match and they have had a slow burn for a while now. Could be hype.

    As an aside, O-Khan's return is fucking diabolical and yet another disaster of a young lion return. The actual fuck are NJPW doing with them!? Okada doing this bullshit sucks but whatever, I get that it's going to result on potentially beating Ospreay at WK.


    ~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:






  3. #3
    Mr. Victory Through Guts

    Zero's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The Dark Side of a Broken Heart
    Posts
    12,122
    Rep Power
    2055868
      Country                    China

    Re: NJPW Power Struggle 2020

    The time to go with Ibushi was 1 year ago, but now is a close second and I agree that it's probably his last chance as a top tier main eventer. That said I feel like Jay can't win unless there's some big change of plans, they have to do the Jay/EVIL BC split program and something will come at WK. I'm confident Ibushi will win but if not...well, it's a really big fuck up for multiple reasons.

    The Empire debut angle had to be one of the worst I've ever seen and Oka is a half step away from being Master Wato level with this gimmick. I praise them for Okada doing something different for once but it's literally some of the worst garbage imaginable so I would rather just get boring generic Okada back. Just have him run through these two bums and get things back on track.

    Suzuki & Shingo have had a decent back and forth. Need that one really big match though I feel to justify Suzuki winning the title in the first place.

  4. #4
    RainShaker's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Korakuen Hall Safe Standing Section
    Posts
    21,770
    Rep Power
    2391071
      Country                    Jamaica

    Re: NJPW Power Struggle 2020

    I think the time for Ibushi may have been years ago realistically but he was quite stubborn about signing a NJPW contract right? Ever since, I don't exactly feel like there's been much of a place for him beyond being a consistent third pillar to Naito and Okada. Jay definitely shouldn't win and logic/past booking signals he won't. They'd do Ibushi dirty with that I think plus has the briefcase holder ever lost the pre WK challenge? It's obviously just a way to keep the briefcase holder hot until WK otherwise they'd effectively bury the entire G1 if the briefcase holder lost without a decent reasoning.

    I'm glad you're rooting for Okada


    ~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:






  5. #5
    All About That Ace

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Hollywoo
    Posts
    15,825
    Rep Power
    2460926
      Country                    Canada

    Re: NJPW Power Struggle 2020

    EVIL vs. Jay White WK main event tbh.

  6. #6
    RainShaker's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Korakuen Hall Safe Standing Section
    Posts
    21,770
    Rep Power
    2391071
      Country                    Jamaica

    Re: NJPW Power Struggle 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Chavez View Post
    EVIL vs. Jay White WK main event tbh.
    Won't ever happen because EVIL not highly rated enough by NJPW IMO. I dunno if he ever main events WK. White's a shoo in one day.


    ~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:






  7. #7
    TAKE THE DREAM~

    MC 16's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    The Lesnar Farm
    Posts
    8,959
    Rep Power
    1529472
      Country                    England

    Re: NJPW Power Struggle 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by RainShaker View Post
    Won't ever happen because EVIL not highly rated enough by NJPW IMO. I dunno if he ever main events WK. White's a shoo in one day.
    Definitely this. I don't see EVIL as anything other than a transitional champion that may get another title reign under the right circumstances. Jay White seemed destined for another title run and a big face push, imo.

  8. #8
    Admin in Lockdown

    Ed's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Dudley, England
    Posts
    39,849
    Rep Power
    4484997
      Country                    England

    Re: NJPW Power Struggle 2020

    What date is this? The card seems stacked enough to call it King of Pro Wrestling, which I assume isn't happening if Power Struggling is happening presumably in November.

    I think everything on the show has potential to be either good or interesting, outside of the main event which is a lock to be a Naito win and another awful match.

    Shingo/Suzuki will be MOTN.

  9. #9
    TAKE THE DREAM~

    MC 16's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    The Lesnar Farm
    Posts
    8,959
    Rep Power
    1529472
      Country                    England

    Re: NJPW Power Struggle 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    What date is this? The card seems stacked enough to call it King of Pro Wrestling, which I assume isn't happening if Power Struggling is happening presumably in November.

    I think everything on the show has potential to be either good or interesting, outside of the main event which is a lock to be a Naito win and another awful match.

    Shingo/Suzuki will be MOTN.
    The date is the 7th of November. And no, it looks like King Of Pro Wrestling isn't on the calendar as the Tag League and BOSJ are starting the week after Power Struggle and that ends at Budokan Hall so you probably get a KOPW level card for that show.

  10. #10
    Mr. Victory Through Guts

    Zero's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The Dark Side of a Broken Heart
    Posts
    12,122
    Rep Power
    2055868
      Country                    China

    Re: NJPW Power Struggle 2020

    The 6 man tag was the match of the year. YH is the best worker in NJPW. Unbelievable team and DOUKI never dreamed of having a performance that good.

    YH/Goto/Ishii are saving NJPW.

  11. #11
    TAKE THE DREAM~

    MC 16's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    The Lesnar Farm
    Posts
    8,959
    Rep Power
    1529472
      Country                    England

    Re: NJPW Power Struggle 2020

    I wouldn't go so far as to call it my MOTY but it's a quality match that everyone should check out. This was given a high chunk of time to deliver. They took their time, soaked in a lot of the story elements of the match without rushing through it. The big final stretch with DOUKI and YOSHI-HASHI was really good. DOUKI had his best stretch of wrestling since joining New Japan and Y-H kept his G1 form. Awesome match

  12. #12
    RainShaker's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Korakuen Hall Safe Standing Section
    Posts
    21,770
    Rep Power
    2391071
      Country                    Jamaica

    Re: NJPW Power Struggle 2020

    I cant believe theyve done this


    ~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:






  13. #13
    All About That Ace

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Hollywoo
    Posts
    15,825
    Rep Power
    2460926
      Country                    Canada

    Re: NJPW Power Struggle 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by RainShaker View Post
    I cant believe theyve done this
    I cant believe they didnt go the whole way. But I was 50% right.

  14. #14
    RainShaker's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Korakuen Hall Safe Standing Section
    Posts
    21,770
    Rep Power
    2391071
      Country                    Jamaica

    Re: NJPW Power Struggle 2020

    I guess Ibushi will still find a way into the main. I'll have to trust Gedo but... big yikes on the invalidation of the G1 like that.


    ~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:






  15. #15
    TAKE THE DREAM~

    MC 16's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    The Lesnar Farm
    Posts
    8,959
    Rep Power
    1529472
      Country                    England

    Re: NJPW Power Struggle 2020

    Naito v White at the Dome? Is there another Double Dash coming? I couldn't tell you. Poor Ibushi though. Wins the G1 and loses twice at the Dome. Wins the G1 again and loses the briefcase.

  16. #16
    All About That Ace

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Hollywoo
    Posts
    15,825
    Rep Power
    2460926
      Country                    Canada

    Re: NJPW Power Struggle 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by RainShaker View Post
    I guess Ibushi will still find a way into the main. I'll have to trust Gedo but... big yikes on the invalidation of the G1 like that.
    Im assuming you dont like the G1 Briefcase defenses in the first place if you find the loss to be an invalidation of it. At some point or another, a G1 briefcase defense needed to go south for the defender to uphold the legitimacy of that match. And in a company like NJPW, it makes perfect sense to have them defend the briefcase. You still want your headliner for WK to kayfabe be on their game and if you cant defend it against anyone else on the roster, how could you possibly hope to defeat the biggest champion on the roster. All in all, quite apocalyptical to claim its an invalidation of the G1.

  17. #17
    RainShaker's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Korakuen Hall Safe Standing Section
    Posts
    21,770
    Rep Power
    2391071
      Country                    Jamaica

    Re: NJPW Power Struggle 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by noJ View Post
    Im assuming you dont like the G1 Briefcase defenses in the first place if you find the loss to be an invalidation of it. At some point or another, a G1 briefcase defense needed to go south for the defender to uphold the legitimacy of that match. And in a company like NJPW, it makes perfect sense to have them defend the briefcase. You still want your headliner for WK to kayfabe be on their game and if you cant defend it against anyone else on the roster, how could you possibly hope to defeat the biggest champion on the roster. All in all, quite apocalyptical to claim its an invalidation of the G1.
    The briefcase defense is almost always (I can't think of an example except this year) where the holder is kept heated by defending the briefcase. It's a nothing match and absolutely nobody has any issues with the credibility of the match setup and why it happens year in, year out. Granted, the match finish wasn't super clean so we'll see Ibushi involved in some regard but I don't particularly enjoy a G1 worth of shows being invalidated by a result like this. Just have White win the tournament if you're going to do it this way IMO.

    I've no doubt they don't do the briefcase switch without a legit reason and I imagine Ibushi is going still be in the picture but yeah, if this is just to do White vs Naito and using Ibushi winning G1 as a vehicle then it sucks. Given the main event stuff, I suspect Ibushi will be involved still.


    ~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:






  18. #18
    TAKE THE DREAM~

    MC 16's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    The Lesnar Farm
    Posts
    8,959
    Rep Power
    1529472
      Country                    England

    Re: NJPW Power Struggle 2020

    I also don't really like that you have to defend the title shot. You've went through a gruelling tournament to get that title shot, but you can lose it in a match that has nothing to do with it. It's usually just a way to keep the G1 winner busy until Wrestle Kingdom mostly.

  19. #19
    RainShaker's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Korakuen Hall Safe Standing Section
    Posts
    21,770
    Rep Power
    2391071
      Country                    Jamaica

    Re: NJPW Power Struggle 2020

    I really hope this doesn't lead to Ibushi vs White for the briefcase on N1 and the winner vs Naito on N2


    ~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:






  20. #20
    All About That Ace

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Hollywoo
    Posts
    15,825
    Rep Power
    2460926
      Country                    Canada

    Re: NJPW Power Struggle 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by RainShaker View Post
    The briefcase defense is almost always (I can't think of an example except this year) where the holder is kept heated by defending the briefcase. It's a nothing match and absolutely nobody has any issues with the credibility of the match setup and why it happens year in, year out. Granted, the match finish wasn't super clean so we'll see Ibushi involved in some regard but I don't particularly enjoy a G1 worth of shows being invalidated by a result like this. Just have White win the tournament if you're going to do it this way IMO.

    I've no doubt they don't do the briefcase switch without a legit reason and I imagine Ibushi is going still be in the picture but yeah, if this is just to do White vs Naito and using Ibushi winning G1 as a vehicle then it sucks. Given the main event stuff, I suspect Ibushi will be involved still.
    Fair. I wholeheartedly disagree & think its a great decision and the better way to deal with the briefcase defenses then treating them as a nothing match to heat up the challenger exclusively. It doesn't invalidate the G1 for me, and I find that thought quite OTT since in a sports-like/realistic perspective, it's unreasonable to expect the G1 winner to have a 100% success rate at defending the briefcase for all of history.

    If I was fantasy booking NJPW, there's virtually no way I wouldn't do this at some point I think traditions work best when there's a possibility of being swerved.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •