Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 NFL Season - For as long as such a thing can last

Waiting For Bookings

Status

Re: 2020 NFL Season - For as long as such a thing can last

Keep in mind, this is every teams first game against a different team.

No scrimmages, no preseason, no training camp.... All of these teams are 6 months behind where they would normally be. For the sake of rookies and new free agents, they are at least using trimmed down playbooks and game pan to keep things simple.

As the season goes on, Brees and Brady will look better.

Status
      Country                    United States

Yeah anyone who watched the tape last year knows Tom has fallen off but there's no reason to panic on Tampa yet. That whole team basically rewrote itself over the offseason and with no preseason they have more learning curve than most. Teams with little turnover are gonna have a big advantage in this first month, might be a big reason you see teams like Green Bay and Kansas City clicking in this first week.

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread | Silk's Degrassi Recaps
    Pathetically Recapping Wrestling's Most Famous Garbage
    WC Rumble Winner 2017, Comic and Game Dork, Mafia Overlord, #Iconic Hall of Famer

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

[footnote: Is now the longest reigning WWE Champion in Smackdown history]

#BlackLivesMatter

TUFF

Status

As a new-ish NFL fan, I'm glad the Rams and Cowboys are opponents week 1 as these are the two teams I've narrowed it down to to root for this season.

Got a soft spot for the Bears because Khalil Mack is there so it was cool seeing them win. Should be fun to see if Trubisky stays as their starter.

Tough times don't last, tough people do.

The Mayor of Slamtown

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jam View Post
    As a new-ish NFL fan, I'm glad the Rams and Cowboys are opponents week 1 as these are the two teams I've narrowed it down to to root for this season.

Got a soft spot for the Bears because Khalil Mack is there so it was cool seeing them win. Should be fun to see if Trubisky stays as their starter.

Fun...agonizing....whats the difference?

The Flow

Status
      Country                    Canada

Budda Baker though, holy fuck what a game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only time WWE came close to a good story line post Attitude Era was Undertaker/Mordecai - Dakstang
    [06:01 PM]Dakstang
    :
    Yeah I guess you are right. And I only want to be Daddy to my own kids. Sorry.

Cardcaptor

Status

Thoughts on the Cowboys:

Ceedee Lamb looked solid.
    Jarwin looked really good....Until he went out on a non-contact potential ACL tear. =/
    Zeke looks great as always.
    Dak looked solid.
    Missing people on the O-Line leaves a glaring open hole.
    Aldon Smith looked amazing after not playing for FIVE years.
    McCarthy making numerous questionable calls that I'm not sure if is a "feeling out" period. Had he just kicked that FG, this game would have been going to OT. Maybe he's rusty?
    Losing Leighton Vander Esch early to an unforutnate broken collarbone after just getting him back sucks big time.

Dallas must find solutions at TE and LB.

Thoughts on Rams:

Goff looked pretty good. Not as jumpy as sometimes.
    Run game was clicking. Very impressed.
    Lots of penetration by Dline.
    Questionable kicker.
    Solid adaptable play calling to the situation by McVay. Out-coached McCarthy by a lot. But McCarthy just returned, so who knows.
    No real glaring areas of concern, but kicking might turn out to be one. Or turn out fine.
    Everything will surely be alright.

Indy Talent

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Sakura View Post
    Thoughts on the Cowboys:

Ceedee Lamb looked solid.
    Jarwin looked really good....Until he went out on a non-contact potential ACL tear. =/
    Zeke looks great as always.
    Dak looked solid.
    Missing people on the O-Line leaves a glaring open hole.
    Aldon Smith looked amazing after not playing for FIVE years.
    McCarthy making numerous questionable calls that I'm not sure if is a "feeling out" period. Had he just kicked that FG, this game would have been going to OT. Maybe he's rusty?
    Losing Leighton Vander Esch early to an unforutnate broken collarbone after just getting him back sucks big time.

Dallas must find solutions at TE and LB.

Thoughts on Rams:

Goff looked pretty good. Not as jumpy as sometimes.
    Run game was clicking. Very impressed.
    Lots of penetration by Dline.
    Questionable kicker.
    Solid adaptable play calling to the situation by McVay. Out-coached McCarthy by a lot. But McCarthy just returned, so who knows.
    No real glaring areas of concern, but kicking might turn out to be one. Or turn out fine.

I really question the Cowboys heart after this game. The Rams came and outplayed them in desire and passion. The Rams wanted this win more than us, and it was very evident by watching body language and seeing how hard the Rams ran to tackle or how much Brown and Akers fought for extra yardage.

The offense was okay considering this is the first game played together in 8 1/2 months with a new head coach. The defense has issues being very thin at linebacker and the defense doesn't know the Mike Nolan system yet. I'm not a fan of switching Jaylon and LVE, but now Jaylon has to move back to Mike. I'm just glad we actually got an interception lol

I was a fan of going for it on 4th down, Ceedee just needs to know to run the route a few yards deeper and be aware of the chains. McCarthy needs to motivate this team to go out and run through a brick wall for him.

Can't wait til Sean Lee and La'el Collins get back.

Cardcaptor

Status

Yeah, I mean honestly..I'd say Dak, Zeke, and all the WRs did pretty great. Defense, not so much at all. I think it will improve, but the injuries already are cause for concern.

I agree with Cowboys ranking for the week.

Honestly, I think a handful of these teams with new coaches or new QBs will take a few weeks to adjust. No preseason and a wonky off season will do that.
    Everything will surely be alright.

Indy Talent

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Matrix View Post
    Nice to see Tampa take the L to start the year.

Also there is nothing wrong with changing the team name from Redskins.
    Nothing wrong with changing the name. The problem is the current name is terrible. Could have keep the Redskins name until the real change.

Striving for a B+ in life

Status

Brees didn't look good. Not a lot of power on his passes. He didn't feel confident throwing deep unless the guy was wide wide open.

They're gonna rely a lot on Cook, Kamara, and Hill: Cook for short passes in traffic; Kamara to take 3-yard dumpoffs and turn them into 15-yard gains; and Hill to do a little of everything.

"The Golden One" Devin Golden

3x FWA World Heavyweight Champion
    2x FWA X Champion
    4x FWA Tag Team Champion
    Final record: 94-58-10

Shannon O'Neal
    2x FWA Women's Champion
    1x FWA World Champion

Hail To The King

Status

still dont get why they didnt call Washington team the Washington Natives

Spoiler:

CWA World Heavyweight Champion
    ​Brayden Bridges

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Bro View Post
    Nothing wrong with changing the name. The problem is the current name is terrible. Could have keep the Redskins name until the real change.
    "This generic team name is so terrible. Can't you guys just keep the racist one until you have a better one?"

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread | Silk's Degrassi Recaps
    Pathetically Recapping Wrestling's Most Famous Garbage
    WC Rumble Winner 2017, Comic and Game Dork, Mafia Overlord, #Iconic Hall of Famer

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

[footnote: Is now the longest reigning WWE Champion in Smackdown history]

#BlackLivesMatter

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

2020 NFL Season - For as long as such a thing can last

Quote Originally Posted by Silky B Badd View Post
    "This generic team name is so terrible. Can't you guys just keep the racist one until you have a better one?"
    Tbh, I’m kind of amazed that Snyder didn’t do that.

After all, this is the same guy that authorized the name change press release that was written on the Redskins letterhead.

Anyhow, it was a no brainer to drop the name and go with FC for the time being. Honestly, that name has kind of grown on me. Still think they’ll go with the Warriors but I like the DC’s as a dark horse pick.

Currently enjoying a plate of Pulpo Gallego via Tapastalk.

Ask Fuji|2020 Movie Log

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Fuji Vice View Post
    Tbh, I’m kind of amazed that Snyder didn’t do that.

After all, this is the same guy that authorized the name change press release that was written on the Redskins letterhead.

Anyhow, it was a no brainer to drop the name and go with FC for the time being. Honestly, that name has kind of grown on me. Still think they’ll go with the Warriors but I like the DC’s as a dark horse pick.
    I'm generally amazed when Snyder does anything remotely correct, so to use the placeholder name instead of the old name was something I would've lost a ton of money on.

The name has really grown on me, personally, wouldn't particularly hate them keeping it even.

Hopefully they don't go with Warriors, or anything even Native American adjacent. A nice clean break from using Native Americans and their imagery as mascots would be good.

It's Spooooky Time

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Suntan Superman View Post
    I'm generally amazed when Snyder does anything remotely correct, so to use the placeholder name instead of the old name was something I would've lost a ton of money on.

The name has really grown on me, personally, wouldn't particularly hate them keeping it even.

Hopefully they don't go with Warriors, or anything even Native American adjacent. A nice clean break from using Native Americans and their imagery as mascots would be good.
    I don't really see Warriors as Native American adjacent. It has it's parallels, but I think of more like Trojan War/Spartans kind of fighting when I think of Warriors. Or if anything more of a Pacific Island sort of theme. It shouldn't be offensive to anyone, and if it is I think we're going just a little too far with it.

But I personally prefer Red Wolves and hope they go that direction.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

As a non-Native American I don't feel it is my place to actually determine what is and what isn't offensive, as it is not my heritage. But based on previous iterations of the Washington Football Team, and other logos they've had, there is certainly no clear delineation from their previous name to the Warrior name. Not only that, but at least in America, "Warriors" has largely held Native American Connotations, granted many of these instances were in colleges/universities but the history is certainly there. I also don't think there really is a "too far" when it comes to making mascots of other people's heritage, that's just me though.

It's Spooooky Time

Status

Vancouver Canucks

As a non-Native American I don't feel it is my place to actually determine what is and what isn't offensive, as it is not my heritage. But based on previous iterations of the Washington Football Team, and other logos they've had, there is certainly no clear delineation from their previous name to the Warrior name. Not only that, but at least in America, "Warriors" has largely held Native American Connotations, granted many of these instances were in colleges/universities but the history is certainly there. I also don't think there really is a "too far" when it comes to making mascots of other people's heritage, that's just me though.
    I get this. I don't know when it exactly started, but somewhere along the line people thought it made for a good team mascot. But then where do we draw the line?

Here is a list of teams from the four major pro sports teams with mascots that I think border being about another person's heritage.

Kansas City Chiefs
    Minnesota Vikings
    Atlanta Braves
    New York Yankees
    Boston Celtics
    Golden State Warriors
    New York Islanders
    Montreal Canadians
    Chicago Blackhawks

Dallas Cowboys and New England Patriots depending on how picky you want to get, but if we're considering Warriors an offensive term based on what a certain ethnicity described as during a specific time period then it's possible we could consider these. However I can see a debate here if Warriors only specifically was used to refer to Native Americans, as I'm sure with Cowboys or Patriots there were multiple heritages involved. Columbus Blue Jackets also falls into this category, as does the Cleveland Cavaliers.

I didn't include the Cleveland Indians because obviously they're already changing their name. I have always had more of an issue with the word Indians than Redskins almost simply because it's been used to refer to Native Americans incorrectly since the beginning. Literally they thought they landed on India, so they called the Natives "Indians" when really they weren't, and yet we just kept and keep calling them that today.

I will say, there are a lot of teams that use the Native American mascot gimmick more so than any other gimmick. The NHL has two mascots based on Canadian heritage, I mean they are Canadian teams, but the teams who use Native Americans as their gimmick are American teams. I think teams who use a heritage as their mascot use it more so out of respect more than anything. But do we need two to three teams in every pro sports league using it? Probably not, I'll concede on that one. But if we are going to go all in on the no heritages thing, then like...Boston Celtics? The Vancouver Canucks? Minnesota Vikings? All of them would have to change their name. Do I think any of them are particular offensive? Not anymore than Warriors. Your point about not being part of Native American heritage so you can't say you find it unoffensive is fair, but then I suppose you can't say you find it offensive either. You're going to have people in every group who think something doesn't offend them, and people who get offended by literally everything. I'm from the North, if I find the term "Yankee" offensive do they have to change the name?

But with this said, I understand why Washington is pressured right now to change their name to something totally away from the Native American heritage. It's not like they had something that wasn't offensive like Warriors or Yankees or Vikings. They had what really is considering a racist derogatory term. So while Warriors isn't as bad as Redskins, it makes sense to want them to totally go a different direction. They're cleaning up their act, but it's like instead of doing a full bleach wipe down they're just spraying febreeze everywhere and saying it's all better if they go with the Warriors. I understand that point. It sucks because I do think Washington Warriors is a solid gimmick, and it isn't entirely connected to Native Americans. If they went with Warriors, and used like an old Spartan helmet as a logo then it would totally work. But yes I get they should totally go a different direction. It's why I prefer Red Wolves.

But do I think every team with a Native American mascot (Blackhawks, Chiefs, Golden State Warriors, Florida State Seminoles, etc) needs to change theirs? No. I don't think that's necessary.

Dan Snyder isn't doing this though because he had a change of heart and realized how offensive the name was. He for years stated he was never going to change the name. But the public direction has taken such a strong swing over the last six months that he hasn't had a choice. Which honestly is pretty great, that we as a public are making these kinds of strides and putting pressure on companies to make better choices, even if for them it's all about money.
    Last edited by Sulley; 09-16-2020 at 10:11 PM.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

I mean, the difference with a lot of these as they aren't seen as offensive by people of that heritage, if they did find them offensive, I would not find it within my range to tell them to simply not be offended.

To your point - yes, if you find the term "Yankee" offensive, I would not stand in your way of attempting to change that name.

None of this is my decision, so while I appreciate you trying to slippery slope the idea that people's heritages shouldn't be mascots, it's not really going to be an interesting discussion. The movements to remove Native American caricatures and imagery from Professional and Collegiate nicknames has existed for many years, I imagine if many of these other names were issues they would have arisen before. If people wish to take issue with them, for instance if for some reason you find the interloping NY or the baseball bat with a top hat offensive to your Northern heritage, I encourage you to take up the fight, and I would implore the powers that be to listen. Maybe your fight won't last the near 60 years the fight to remove Washington's name has.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

In other news - Baker Mayfield was horrible week 1, it's actually impressive how bad he was on some plays/throws.

like damn.
    Last edited by Suntan Superman; 09-17-2020 at 12:28 PM.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status
      Country                    Scotland

In other news - Baker Mayfield was horrible week 1, it's actually impressive how bad he was on some plays/throws.

like damn.
    Better tonight, but I still wouldn't have high hopes for him as a QB for the future.

Burrow looks like the real deal. The Bengals are still pretty bad on the whole, but Burrow impressed me.

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

The 100 Greatest WCW Matches - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information