Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: WC’s Favourite Films of the 2010’s!

Admin in Lockdown

Status
      Country                    England

Re: WC’s Favourite Films of the 2010’s!

Joker feels like a movie people go out of there way to shit on to great extents just because other people think it's amazing. I thought it was pretty good with a great lead performance but obviously it fell short of my top 10. The idea that it's somehow a negative that a film in 2019 takes themes and inspirations from movies decades ago is beyond me. Joker might be on the nose with Taxi Driver and King of Comedy, but at the same time it feels different to 80% of comicbook/superhero movies that have been released in this decade.

VINTAGE POSTER!

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Joker feels like a movie people go out of there way to shit on to great extents just because other people think it's amazing.
    It’s sorta the same thing as when people turned against Rick and Morty a bit because their fanbase gained that reputation for being obnoxious “tbf you need a high IQ” edgelords during that whole sezchuan sauce gimmick. There’s a small culture of obnoxious incel Joker fans that make you slightly embarrassed to admit to being a fan despite the film being great. Or if you didn’t like Joker already, it just makes you want to shit on it harder.

Not assuming that’s anything to do with Todd’s dislike of it, just using it as an excuse to touch on that subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Diksting
    You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

All About That Ace

Status
      Country                    Canada

I'll say this much: If Joker encourages studios to take more risks and be more flexible with their adapted material then it'll be a net positive for films in general. I definitely appreciate that Joker did something different and I'm glad it was successful in spite of doing something different. But beyond that, I think it was a poorly written movie.

[Run]

Status

Ooga chaka, ooga chaka....

Spoiler:

3rd. Guardians Of The Galaxy (2014)
    27 Points – [Man (1), Jimmy King (2), Postman Dave (3)]

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

WC’s Favourite Films of the 2010’s!

Coming from someone who thought Joker was among the best movies I saw last year, I’m floored that it ranked so high. Recency bias once again rears its head in one of these things. If you can tell me that it’ll still hold the same position in 10 years, I’ll eat both of my shoes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ask Fuji|2020 Movie Log

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

All About That Ace

Status

Pretty sweet movie. I think on release it was probably my favorite MCU movie period though I'd say it might be #6 now. Even so, I have no qualms with it being this high, pretty sure its one of the few movies I went out of my way to get as soon as it was out and this was also probably near the peak of my MCU infatuation. I also dug the sequel a lot more than most I think and I look forward to Thor joining them for the third one with James Gunn there as well. Should be fun. Wonder how well itll do against Captain America as a trilogy.

All About That Ace

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Fuji Vice View Post
    Coming from someone who thought Joker was among the best movies I saw last year, I’m floored that it ranked so high. Recency bias once again rears its head in one of these things. If you can tell me that it’ll still hold the same position in 10 years, I’ll eat both of my shoes.

Cant wait to do this again in 2030!

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Fuji Vice View Post

On the other hand there's no reason why a movie released in 2019 could be one of the best of the decade.

For example when I watched The Two Towers for example it instantly became one of my favourite films ever. Nearly 20 years later and I still feel that way.

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

The 100 Greatest WCW Matches - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

VINTAGE POSTER!

Status

When it comes to recency bias, I just remind myself that 1999 had American Beauty, Being John Malkovich, The Matrix, Fight Club, Magnolia, Toy Story 2, Eyes Wide Shut and Wild Wild West. And how those all would make a lot of people’s ‘90s Top 10s.

You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Chavez View Post
    Cant wait to do this again in 2030!
    If we’re all still here in 10 years I’ll eat the shoes just for the hell of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    On the other hand there's no reason why a movie released in 2019 could be one of the best of the decade.

For example when I watched The Two Towers for example it instantly became one of my favourite films ever. Nearly 20 years later and I still feel that way.

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk
    I agree with the term best, but that doesn’t necessarily imply it’s a favourite. If I were making a list of the best films of the 2010’s, it would definitely vary from the one I came up with for my favourites. Joker was easily in my top 5 films from last year, but I can’t sit here and call it a favourite because I’ll likely never watch it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Marketh View Post
    When it comes to recency bias, I just remind myself that 1999 had American Beauty, Being John Malkovich, The Matrix, Fight Club, Magnolia, Toy Story 2, Eyes Wide Shut and Wild Wild West. And how those all would make a lot of people’s ‘90s Top 10s.
    I love that Wild Wild West made an appearance here.

Ask Fuji|2020 Movie Log

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Much like some other films on this list, I didn't really enjoy Joker as much as I thought I would, especially since I do like Taxi Driver, but I can also see why others enjoy it.

Guardians of the Galaxy was the last MCU film I willingly saw by paying my own money. I don't think the film was bad, but it did really just show me that the MCU wasn't for me.

Real Man's Mandalorian

Status
      Country                    UK

Guardians of the Galaxy is my favourite film. Period.

It’s just fun. The jokes all land, the emotional scenes all land and the action is great too. Even if this wasn’t an MCU movie it would hold up absolutely fine on its own, and it needed to. This was the first time they went into outer space properly and the first time that a movie was not headed by a character that was widely known by those who hadn’t read the comics. I didn’t have a clue who any of these characters were when I first watched the film and now they’re among my favourite characters ever. Having Batista in it definitely helped too, being a wrestling fan and all. Don’t even get me started on the music and how it’s used *chefs kiss*

I only saw Joker recently and I thought it was phenomenal. Came very close to making my list, but I prepared this based on how these movies impacted me and my memories surrounding them. It seemed too recent and I didn’t want bias showing up.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status
      Country                    United States

Guardians is definitely high up on my list of favorite films in the MCU, it’s the right blend of action and comedy with lots of charm to it too. Plus, the soundtrack is top notch.
    Rest in power, Flock U
    Rest in power, TCON

Team Cyrus T is Best for Business

Quote Originally Posted by Ed
    Stop the hating of the E-Feds. If you don't like something, that's fine, just ignore it and let the people who do enjoy what they're here on WC to do. Mocking them to make you feel less of a geek for being on a geek on a wrestling forum is lame. If you want to not read their posts, I can fix that for you.

[Run]

Status

IT IS TIME. Your film coming in second is....

Spoiler:

2nd – Whiplash (2014)
    37 Points – [Marketh (1), Ed (1), Silk (3), Wolf Beast (5), Suntan Superman (8)]

And WC's favourite film of the 2010's is....
    Spoiler:

1st. Drive (2011)
    45 Points – [RainShaker(1), Fuji Vice (1), Marketh (2), Jimmy King (3), SuperSaiyan (3)]

Thank you all for your participation, see you all again in 10 years!

All About That Ace

Status

Wow, I definitely did not see those two coming. I havent bothered watching Whiplash since it didnt interest me that much. Drive was a fun atmospheric watch in spite of what they did to my boi Oscar Isaac and the fact that it doesnt live up to the name of the movie.

VINTAGE POSTER!

Status

Well I'm happy my top 2 made the top 2, doesn't matter where they're placed.

Still can't believe I'd forgot Drive was from this decade before someone mentioned it. It's sorta stereotypical that guys in their late teens/early 20s around that time probably had a download of the Drive soundtrack, like the same guys who had a Scarface poster (guilty of both). It has that lovely, stylistic, 80s aesthetic throwback before we became oversaturated with it. Its brutally violent imagery contrasted with this sensitive, melancholy, fairytale vibe. The mystery of who this guy really is - we know little about who he is before the film or where he's going at the end and we really wanna fill in those blanks ourselves. I haven't watched it in so long and I really wanna go back now and see if I'm still as obsessed with it as I was at the time.

Glad to see others here appreciate Whiplash so much. There's so much rewatch value in it, IMO. Nearly every JK Simmons line is quotable, the editing is spot on, the tension in so many scenes is great. It's such a relatable story for anyone pursuing a creative career and yet I can't think of many other films off the top of my head that deal with this particular theme: pursuing perfection at the cost of your soul. Andrew dreams of being the world's best jazz drummer, but that's just in Fletcher's opinion? Whether he's rushing or dragging is just what Fletcher thinks in that particular moment. And let's assume Fletcher really is the world's greatest music teacher, to get his approval you have to become just a machine and alienate everyone around you. So the ending is simultaneously breathtaking, triumphant and tragic which is a very interesting combination to me.

Real Man's Mandalorian

Status
      Country                    UK

Finishing up with two films I haven’t gotten around to seeing yet

Big shout out to Dave for putting this together - I know how much work goes into something of this scale, so congratulations and thank you, bud.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status
      Country                    United States

Big fan of Drive, from the soundtrack to the feel and atmosphere of it all, to great performances from Ryan Gosling, Cate Mulligan, Bryan Cranston, Ron Pearlman, and Oscar Isaac (when I rewatched it last year I had forgotten that he was in the film tbh). I just watched another Ryan Gosling movie from last decade, The Place Beyond the Pines, and I wish that I had watched it before I sent in a list because I probably would have included it on my list. It's another great performance from Gosling, as well as Bradley Cooper.

I watched Whiplash once and I do remember liking it but I hadn't even considered it for my list, I'll have to go back to that one and give it another watch some time soon.

Kudos to Dave for running this countdown, well done buddy.
    Rest in power, Flock U
    Rest in power, TCON

Team Cyrus T is Best for Business

Quote Originally Posted by Ed
    Stop the hating of the E-Feds. If you don't like something, that's fine, just ignore it and let the people who do enjoy what they're here on WC to do. Mocking them to make you feel less of a geek for being on a geek on a wrestling forum is lame. If you want to not read their posts, I can fix that for you.

All About That Ace

Status

I decided to watch Whiplash last night since it got #2 here. I actually enjoyed it quite a bit. I'm not going to lie, I found JK Simmons to almost be cartoonishly evil & I couldn't really settle between finding this all simultaneously intense & funny at the same time. All that said, it was a really fun movie to watch. I definitely rate it. I'm not sure it would have made my top ten or that I'll go back to it but I 100% appreciate it and can see how others would have it in theirs.

Also thanks for running this Dave!

[Run]

Status

Never saw the fuss about Drive, but this thread certainly makes me wanna give it another go. Whiplash is a very deserving runner up.

Couple of stats for y'all

- Most represented year? 2014. Least? 2015 (that surprised me, I have a lot of faves from that year)

- Only 3 Oscar Best Film winners made the final countdown (Birdman, Spotlight and Moonlight, the latter the highest placing)

- What do Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes, Captain American: Civil War & Avengers: Infinity War all have in common? All topped their respective years in the WC Fave Five, yet didn't get a single nomination here. Apes is the most notable, the film it beat to number one? Drive.

All in all, I'm pretty pleased with how this turned out. I feel like the top 20 as a whole is a satisfying group of movies to represent the decade, even if I don't personally like all of them.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread Information