Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Out of the Park Baseball 21

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Re: Out of the Park Baseball 21

Well, after posting a 117-win season, we ended up losing to the Dodgers(again) in the World Series, Edward Cabrera blew our 4-2 lead in Game 7. Time for an off-season where we need to clean up a bit of our payroll, but it shouldn't be too bad, I just went a little hard on extensions and unless our owner gives us more money than i expect we'll be a tad over budget next season.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Suntan Superman View Post
    Well, after posting a 117-win season, we ended up losing to the Dodgers(again) in the World Series, Edward Cabrera blew our 4-2 lead in Game 7. Time for an off-season where we need to clean up a bit of our payroll, but it shouldn't be too bad, I just went a little hard on extensions and unless our owner gives us more money than i expect we'll be a tad over budget next season.
    Only 117 wins? Pffft....

Sucks to have it end that way, but still a great year.

I offered Mancini out again. Got offered Jeter Downs, Patrick Sandoval, Jeremiah Jackson, Keibert Ruiz, Drew Rasmussen, Deivi Garcia... Leaning towards Sandoval as he's a SP who's already in the MLB and he's 5-1 with a 2.97 ERA for Angels. 41 / 55 on a 20/80 scale. Mancini is hitting .221 with 5 HR. Coming off .291 / .364 with 35 HR last year. He's on $4.75m with arbitration likely to up that for next season. I would be more eager to hang onto him but he's a poor defender and I have a couple solid potential 1Bs in the system.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

well we pulled off a helluva deal. We were over budget, and I had to make a change, but in the long run I do think this change makes us better

Traded Vlad Guerrero and Keston Hiura to the Minnesota Twins for Luis Arraez and Royce Lewis, with the Twins keeping 50% of Arraez salary over the next five years. Then traded Royce Lewis to the Padres for Mackenzie Gore and some prospects.

We're coming into the season as comfortable favorites once again, we have an absolute embarrassment of riches when it comes to pitchers, and this year we should be substantially better in the field without Guerrero, and with GRod playing his natural 3B. We lose a little bit of pop in the lineup, but we also have Max McGwire coming up for his first year in the bigs, and he hit 29 HRs in 50 games at AA last year, so hopefully he can provide a bit of a pop in the lineup when needed.

Status

well we pulled off a helluva deal. We were over budget, and I had to make a change, but in the long run I do think this change makes us better

Traded Vlad Guerrero and Keston Hiura to the Minnesota Twins for Luis Arraez and Royce Lewis, with the Twins keeping 50% of Arraez salary over the next five years. Then traded Royce Lewis to the Padres for Mackenzie Gore and some prospects.

We're coming into the season as comfortable favorites once again, we have an absolute embarrassment of riches when it comes to pitchers, and this year we should be substantially better in the field without Guerrero, and with GRod playing his natural 3B. We lose a little bit of pop in the lineup, but we also have Max McGwire coming up for his first year in the bigs, and he hit 29 HRs in 50 games at AA last year, so hopefully he can provide a bit of a pop in the lineup when needed.
    I want to draft Max McGwire just for the lineage.

That's some wheeling and dealing. But I kinda get the idea that its what you need to do in OOPB. You can't built a side and just ride it for years and years. You need to be making changes, especially when you have to adhere to tight budgets.

Jealous that you had Vlad Jr. He seems to be a monster in every save. Then again, so is Arraez.

Was excited to ask you about how Royce Lewis did for you but then you dealt him on. One of the guys I traded for in my very first Orioles save because of his leadership but he's not MLB ready. Looks potentially elite as a SS.

I pulled the trigger on the Mancini deal. I got Patrick Sandoval and 2 prospects out of the Angels. He immediately becomes my highest rated pitcher. And possibly the best pitching prospect in the system. the other two prospects were marginal - 45 to 50 types. I immediately regretted the deal, as I got the "fan interest drops considerably" message. Mancini WAS one of the better players on the roster. But... I have Diaz and Mountcastle. I could probably call up either and get similar production for several million less, with more top end potential. Keeping Mancini wasn't going to make much difference in the team finishing last so makes sense to shed the salary and just take our lumps regardless. The only real question is when I call up some of the nearly-ready prospects like Rutchman.

Speaking of leadership.... one of the main problems with the Os is a total lack of leadership. The team chemistry falls apart when the losses pile up, to the point I've turned off player morale in one save just to get through the season. I saw the AI-run Orioles deal for a mediocre outfielder with some leadership, but I managed to sign a free agent SS veteran. Can't recall the name. He's barely played and he was hitting under .100 at the point he sent me a message, saying he would love to sign a contract extension. Bruh.... poor timing.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Oh Vlad didn't come cheap, and it honestly was a bad move to trade for him in hindsight, simply because Gabriel Rodriguez ended up being as good with the bat, and better in the field. In my defense, I had no idea that was going to happen. Also, I gave up quite a bit to get Vlad, my then #1 pitching prospect in Cam Cowan, a young pitcher with lots of team control left in Freddy Peralta, my starting SS in Javier Baez, my starting 3B in Shed Long, Jr, and my swiss-army-knife outfield guy in Jake Fraley. The Blue Jays were going to be over budget in a few years and they had to blow things up a little bit, so giving them long term cheap contracts for replacement level players in Shed and Fraley helped them, and Peralta and Cam Cowan had plenty of years left, and Baez is Baez. Fun fact, I got Baez for Asdrubal Cabrera and Jose Iglesias, because I wanted to consolidate two average players into a good player and free up a roster spot. This is what our 26-man roster going into 2025 looks like, according to the OOTP scouts.

Status

Oh Vlad didn't come cheap, and it honestly was a bad move to trade for him in hindsight, simply because Gabriel Rodriguez ended up being as good with the bat, and better in the field. In my defense, I had no idea that was going to happen. Also, I gave up quite a bit to get Vlad, my then #1 pitching prospect in Cam Cowan, a young pitcher with lots of team control left in Freddy Peralta, my starting SS in Javier Baez, my starting 3B in Shed Long, Jr, and my swiss-army-knife outfield guy in Jake Fraley. The Blue Jays were going to be over budget in a few years and they had to blow things up a little bit, so giving them long term cheap contracts for replacement level players in Shed and Fraley helped them, and Peralta and Cam Cowan had plenty of years left, and Baez is Baez. Fun fact, I got Baez for Asdrubal Cabrera and Jose Iglesias, because I wanted to consolidate two average players into a good player and free up a roster spot. This is what our 26-man roster going into 2025 looks like, according to the OOTP scouts.

That is a LOT of stars lol. Makes my squads look so sad. I'm lucky if I have 1 player with 5 star potential and a handful that are 3 or 3 1/2 star ability. I know Seattle starts out in a similar enough situation.

One of the things I love about OOTP that I wish FM would do is league and rule evolution. FM does that insofar as changes that are already solidly planned and announced. But that's generally like 1-3 seasons. Beyond that, things are static. You won't have the Bundesliga reorganizing how many sides are in the division or leagues changing their bench sizes or foreign player rules. That's bothered me a little bit for awhile. But you can see all kinds of changes with OOTP. Have you had any such evolutions yet? Expansion? Relocation?
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

So I really enjoyed the Tigers save I was doing on the laptop, but I moved it over to the desktop, and about halfway through the second season, the save corrupted. I started up with the Orioles again and its okay, but I ended up starting a new Tigers save on the laptop and played it enough that I didn't bother firing up the gaming desktop yet this weekend.

The nice thing about the Tigers is that they have two really good SP prospects in AAA and several other solid ones. The rotation needs a rebuild but its pretty much all already in-house. The bullpen and the outfield all need to be rebuilt as well. Miggy takes up $35m a year and Zimmerman is getting $25m but at least he's gone after the first season.

In my first Tigers save, our season wasn't that bad because the lineup hit better than it should have. Not so much this time. I mean, Miggy started the season on fire, but guys like Jeimer Candelario, CJ Cron, and Jonathan Schoop are ice cold. Candelario and Schoop are barley hitting over .200 yet.

Similar to with the Orioles save, the key is patience. I dont' want to bring those pitchers up right away. Short of injuries or really poor performance in the rotation, they'll spend the year in AAA. Those infielders I mentioned are mostly making decent money ($3m to $5m a year) and are upcoming free agents. So I will be trading them, but its just a matter of when. I already traded for Lewin Diaz, who is the future at 1B. I would like to deal for Cole Tucker, who could be 2B, 3B or SS. I traded for Austin Hedges in the previous save for his leadership and defense, but I don't think that's really necessary. Romine is decent and there is a solid C in AAA I will call up. We have Isaac Parades and Willi Casto who can be called up. In the outfield, I've already called up Daz Cameron. There is a center fielder in AA who looks like a really solid defender, so I'm considering bringing him up at some point and moving Reyes to corner outfield. Or maybe dealing Reyes as he's good but really not potentially elite.

The owner doesn't have any real expectations for the season, so I could put in a bunch of replacement-level players after dealing these guys and just tank the fuck out of the season. Let everyone with potential simmer in the minors. That kind of patience might be beyond me lol
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

Well that didn't last long. OOTPB is weird in the way that certain saves will have things going on and the next save - same team, same players - will be quite different. Like the heavy losses I saw in the first Orioles save, where we weren't just losing but getting absolutely smashed game after game. Or the first Tigers save where we hit well for the first half of the season, above what we should have. Well this one started to emulate the first Orioles save. We went on a 15 game losing streak. But it wasn't just losing. It was having teams drop 20 or more runs on in a loss. Our pitching isn't strong but it looked like we just stop trying in defense. I have one reliever who had a BABIP of .500. Like fuckin seriously? We are strong defensively but it was getting absurd. Part of the dynamic with the Orioles save was a total lack of leadership, leaving the locker room in a mess when the team was losing constantly. Tigers have lots of leadership and the team chemistry hadn't tanked yet. So it just seemed weird to have the defensive bottom out so badly.

I decided to fuck off with the save at that point. Wasn't the losing or even just the bad losses. Also had a couple of long-term injuries that annoyed and then I messed up a trade. So I decided to just leave it and start over. Wasn't that deep into the first season anyway, so just easier. Tigers again, but I do still have the Orioles save going on the other PC. Just did the draft in that one.

Two questions for you, Mike. Not necessariy in regard to your current save but more in general.

How much importance do you put on personality? I have a decent 3B prospect who is described as block-headed. I've traded him and am tempted to do the same.

Second, I've seen it repeated in guides that you need to go after defense at CF, SS, and C. I've taken that approach but havent followed it as closely as I could and am considering doing. I have a defense-plus CF who would be a serious minus as a hitter. Like might hit .200. Would you play the CF with 70 defensive skills (on 20-80 scale) but who can't hit over the guy with 55/60 defensive skills who can hit .250 or a touch better?
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post

How much importance do you put on personality? I have a decent 3B prospect who is described as block-headed. I've traded him and am tempted to do the same.

Second, I've seen it repeated in guides that you need to go after defense at CF, SS, and C. I've taken that approach but havent followed it as closely as I could and am considering doing. I have a defense-plus CF who would be a serious minus as a hitter. Like might hit .200. Would you play the CF with 70 defensive skills (on 20-80 scale) but who can't hit over the guy with 55/60 defensive skills who can hit .250 or a touch better?

I generally put a ton of emphasis on personality, I have one "disruptive" personality on the team, but he's also arguably our best player and as long as we keep winning it doesn't seem to effect anything. Kopech was disruptive when he first showed up, but really once we started winning he started being less and less disruptive, and as I brought in people with better personalities on the pitching staff he really started to just mellow out, so there is hope.

I have always prioritized defense at C, I think that's the one position where I simply wouldn't even entertain the idea of someone with less than 60 ability as a catcher. I don't care about their hitting as much, and my expectation for hitting decreases as their defensive ability increases.

For SS, I had a 55 defense SS for awhile, and I don't think I'd go for that unless I just didn't have better options for some reason, while a good fielding 3B can make up for a poor defensive SS, a good fielding SS makes up for 3B/2B and sometimes even LF.

If I'm sacrificing CF defense, then I just hope they're hitting .300 or better, basically. Outfielders are so dime-a-dozen that finding a dude who can play better defense and hit .250 instead of bad defense and .280 is way more valuable to me.

So basically, I would always value defense highly at those positions, with a little bit of give on SS/CF.

Status

Makes sense. I know Work Ethitc and Intelligence are important for player development. I've active avoided disruptive players as well as it just seems like any sort personality and chemistry modelling system is going to make those problematic, especially in volume. But a dumb player isn't necessarily problematic... he just may not develop or perform as well. The player in question isn't a top prospect and he's already relatively decent, so I don't think I'll actively look to deal him but I probably won't hesitate to make use of him to get a key deal across the line. I can find other 3B players.

I don't expect anything productive out of my catcher if he's got the defensive skills. its why I traded for Austin Hedges in the first Tigers save. I figured if my pitching staff was going to be young as fuck in the 2nd season, i needed to give them the support system. Since that's the case, it makes just as much sense to emphasize defensive solidity at SS and CF. Victor Reyes and Niko Goodrum are pretty good all-around players and both have hit in the .300 in the other save, but neither are plus defenders. I might look to move them to other positions and find elite defender, regardless of bat skills.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

I would prioritize your elite defender based on your pitching staff as well, for instance, I actively seek out groundball pitchers, so SS was a position I didn't want to give up anything at in terms of defense, while CF I could be a little more lax on my defensive wants.

Status

I would prioritize your elite defender based on your pitching staff as well, for instance, I actively seek out groundball pitchers, so SS was a position I didn't want to give up anything at in terms of defense, while CF I could be a little more lax on my defensive wants.
    That makes sense and not necessarily something I would have considered. The Tigers lineup of prospects is more power pitchers, so generally more flyball. But the bullpen is a mix. I'll have to take a closer look.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

Kinda feeling like I fucked up my Orioles save last night. I finished the draft and decided to call up Rutchman. I had already traded Chance Cisco as he's disruptive and that's problematic in a locker room with few leaders. So I also dealt Pedro Severino to make room. Rutchman becomes the #1 catcher and he's immediately our 2nd best player. he took awhile to get going in my previous save but he started out hammering. Top of the order bat.

That got me overeager and I dealt Hanser Alberto and Rio Ruiz to make room for Lewin Diaz and Ke'Bryan Hayes. I got some reliever help for those trades. I also called up Cole Tucker to DH. The problem si that Diaz, Hayes, and Tucker are all struggling and now I think I might have pulled the trigger too early. My intent was to keep them in AAA for most of the year and call them up late. But I got trigger happy.

Fuck.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

In case you didn't know, players only accrue service years through 172 days of being on the 26-man roster, so you can stretch Rutchman's 'cheap' time out by sending him back down at the beginning of next year, and calling him up once his service time at the end of the season would be 171 days. For reference as well, the MLB season is 183 days.

Status

In case you didn't know, players only accrue service years through 172 days of being on the 26-man roster, so you can stretch Rutchman's 'cheap' time out by sending him back down at the beginning of next year, and calling him up once his service time at the end of the season would be 171 days. For reference as well, the MLB season is 183 days.
    I was going to keep him in the minors all season for service time reasons. But honestly, I need his bat in the lineup. And his defense.

Last save, I got him to sign a team-friendly deal. Especially considering he became an elite hitter in season 2 in that Tigers save. I'm probably going to target that again.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

I was wrong - I didn't deal Hanser Alberto, as he's our best hitter by average. But I did trade the starting 1B and 3B. The youngsters have rebounded a bit, but I still regret doing the mass callup so early.

Austin Hayes made the All Star game. He's hitting fairly well, but he's not really what I should have defensively at CF.

The international amateur signing period didn't bring up any potential generational players. Disappointing. That pitcher I signed with the Tigers before the save ate itself was so fun looking if he had developed.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information