Thread: Gilbert Burns tests positive for COVID-19, pulled from UFC 251 main event against Kam

Heel Champion

Status
      Country                    England

Ufc Gilbert Burns tests positive for COVID-19, pulled from UFC 251 main event against Kam

Gilbert Burns has been knocked out of the UFC 251 main event against welterweight champion Kamaru Usman after testing positive for COVID-19.

According to multiple sources speaking to MMA Fighting on Friday, the Brazilian tested positive for the coronavirus as part of the pre-fight protocols in place before anybody travels to Yas Island in Abu Dhabi where the event will be held on July 11.

Burns was flanked by his brother Herbert Burns and his wrestling coach Greg Jones, who were expected to be his cornermen for the fight. The news was first reported by MMA Junkie.

Earlier this week, Burns’ teammate — ONE Championship light heavyweight and middleweight champion Aung La N Sang — revealed that he had also tested positive for COVID-19. An additional source told MMA Fighting that at least one other coach out of the Sanford MMA facility also tested positive for COVID-19 in the past two weeks.

All of the fighters who are competing on the UFC’s “Fight Island” shows in July are taking chartered flights to several different hubs around the world before eventually landing in Abu Dhabi. Burns and his team were expected to fly out of Las Vegas but obviously with the test results coming back positive on Friday, none of them were on board.

With Burns out that leaves Usman in a precarious position without an opponent and the fight just one week away. It’s unknown at this time if the UFC will even attempt to secure a replacement opponent given the stringent testing requirements for COVID-19 before anyone can travel to Abu Dhabi.

UFC 251 does feature two additional title fights with featherweight champion Alexander Volkanovski facing off with Max Holloway and a new bantamweight champion being crowned as Petr Yan takes on Jose Aldo.
    Source - MMAFighting.

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

Re: Gilbert Burns tests positive for COVID-19, pulled from UFC 251 main event against

Yep. Terrible stuff. I feel bad for Burns for losing the opportunity and more importantly, I hope he makes a recovery and gets healthy.

I don't want to sound completely insensitive but now that Masvidal is taking his place, I'm getting the fight I wanted to begin with.

Jobber

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: Gilbert Burns tests positive for COVID-19, pulled from UFC 251 main event against

Agree with Stojy,

This is the fight that I'm almost positive everyone wanted to begin with. Hope for a smooth and easy recovery for Burns.. that really sucks especially right before the biggest fight of your career.

However, the fight with Masvidal has so much more appeal and should have been booked to begin with. I'd LOVE for Usman to get the W, but I think it's better (for fans at least) if Masvidal wins only because it opens up so many different possibilities as a result. For instance, Masvidal and Nate wanna run it back so we'd for sure get that match for the belt. Usman can rematch Colby to see who gets the next shot after that fight. So many different things can happen if Jorge beats Usman.

Thread Information