Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Physical or Digital? - A Gentleman's Discussion

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Physical or Digital? - A Gentleman's Discussion

With systems like the all digital Xbox and PC gaming via Steam being more and more popular, how are you indulging in your video game media?

Do you strictly buy physical and look down on digital?

Do you embrace the future and download all your games?

Which do you choose to partake in and why?

All About That Ace

Status
      Country                    Canada

Re: Physical or Digital? - A Gentleman's Discussion

I download everything because it's convenient but I would prefer to have physical copies of everything I own. I think it would be great if video games worked like blue Ray's where they give you a digital copy of every game you buy. However I imagine environmentally it would be best if we just converted fully to digital should it be feasible.

Todd Chavez: I'm deeply sad and nothing can make me happy.

Also, eat the rich.
    Abolish cops.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Strictly physical for me because digital is still far too expensive on pretty much every platform other than Steam.

Physical copies, especially for the consoles I play, are way cheaper. Plus I like to have them on my shelf.

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

The 100 Greatest WCW Matches - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

Admin in Lockdown

Status
      Country                    England

On average I probably buy two video games a year, the older I get the less of a gamer I get, but I'm still physical > digital. Like Shock says it's nice to have the physical copies to hand, and I think I like the nostalgia in having the case and the disc the same way I did when I was a kid on the PS1. I also do zero gaming on my laptop so the whole Steam revolution never really connected with me.

Also, I'm sick of how quickly my PS4 has storage issues so I don't like the idea of only buying games digitally atm and once I delete them to make room for another they are gone. I'm guessing there might be a way you can re-download your old purchases that I'm not aware of.

All About That Ace

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    On average I probably buy two video games a year, the older I get the less of a gamer I get, but I'm still physical > digital. Like Shock says it's nice to have the physical copies to hand, and I think I like the nostalgia in having the case and the disc the same way I did when I was a kid on the PS1. I also do zero gaming on my laptop so the whole Steam revolution never really connected with me.

Also, I'm sick of how quickly my PS4 has storage issues so I don't like the idea of only buying games digitally atm and once I delete them to make room for another they are gone. I'm guessing there might be a way you can re-download your old purchases that I'm not aware of.
    Man if you couldn't play/download games you purchased digitally whenever you want I think no one would've gone digital

Also, eat the rich.
    Abolish cops.

Heel Champion

Status
      Country                    Greece

It's 50-50 for me. Some physical stores have better discounts than PlayStation Store so if their price is more convenient then I'll take a physical copy.

Main Eventer

Status

Strictly digital. if i see an old pc game in the bargain bin for 5.00 ill get it.

The only reason i support digital over physical is pricing. even the cheapest physical games are still more expensive than a Steam Sale/ GOG sale/ Humble Bundle.

i would prefer physical though.

funny im all for digital downloads but im not to fond of the netflix/ WWE network/ Honor Club via streaming. i dont get to own it like i would with Good Old Games. even Steam, i wish it ran like GOG wheres its drm free but not all games are on GOG
    ROH 2003 - end of 2008 = best years of wrestling ever

[Run]

Status
      Country                    England

I go physical for stuff I'm a fan of that I know I'll consume repeatedly, otherwise digital.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

People's Champion

Status
      Country                    Wales

On the rare occasions I get games these days it's probably a split for me, all depends on the best deals and if I can be arsed to download when I get home fron work.

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk
    I have a plan so cunning......

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Digital is so much more convenient for me but I also enjoy the novelty of the actual disc. All of the Rockstar games seem to come with a fun map and such so it makes me want to have those but then also I never use the map it comes with so whats the point?

I've been buying a lot of my physical games I own as they go on sale on the Xbox store and then trading in those games to clear up space.

I just wish these new games didn't take up so much space. I like to have a lot of games at the ready for me whenever I want to play them and you really can't do that anymore without the hassle of extra hard drives.

Cardcaptor

Status

Well, I'm pretty big into collecting, so mostly physical. But I only really collect physical for certain things. Mostly big box PC games, ranging from the early 80s to early 2000s. As well as complete in box old computers, etc. So that habit has more or less carried over to current gens.

The only thing I have for Xbox is an all digital one that I more or less got to play Madden and a few other games that I wanted to play with friends, so that's the exception to the rule for me.
    Everything will surely be alright.

THE HEARTBREAK KID

Status
      Country                    Portugal

Totally depends on price, or convenience for me.

In terms of which I like more, i do like a physical copy. It's more a sense of me 'owning' the game and for some of my favourite games I like buying the special editions and such.

Also one massive issue I've encountered with Digital is.. I purchased the Spyro trilogy a while ago and it's a really cool game, however I had to uninstall it because it wasn't updating for some reason and there was an update to do. And now when I go to download the game once again digitally, it won't download directly from the store.. I feel like it would totally fine with a hard copy but I guess I'll never know.

Which reminds me, i keep meaning to do something about it. Should I be emailing Xbox Support? Anyone know?

All About That Ace

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Deco90 View Post
    Totally depends on price, or convenience for me.

In terms of which I like more, i do like a physical copy. It's more a sense of me 'owning' the game and for some of my favourite games I like buying the special editions and such.

Also one massive issue I've encountered with Digital is.. I purchased the Spyro trilogy a while ago and it's a really cool game, however I had to uninstall it because it wasn't updating for some reason and there was an update to do. And now when I go to download the game once again digitally, it won't download directly from the store.. I feel like it would totally fine with a hard copy but I guess I'll never know.

Which reminds me, i keep meaning to do something about it. Should I be emailing Xbox Support? Anyone know?
    Are you on Xbox One? Why dont you just go on the page where it shows every game you own and download it from there?

Also, eat the rich.
    Abolish cops.

THE HEARTBREAK KID

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Chavez View Post
    Are you on Xbox One? Why dont you just go on the page where it shows every game you own and download it from there?
    Yes, And pretty sure I tried that dude and it takes me to the download page, and then says there's an issue and couldn't download or cannot be installed. It's so weird, I've never seen it before. Just appears to be an issue where that came will no longer be downloaded, almost like it's no longer available or something. It's strange.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

when you're on your games page hit the start button on the game and it should say like "install now" or something. you shouldn't even have to go to the store page.

THE HEARTBREAK KID

Status

Quote Originally Posted by John Mayer View Post
    when you're on your games page hit the start button on the game and it should say like "install now" or something. you shouldn't even have to go to the store page.
    Tried it both ways, it takes me to the download page, where your games queue and so on. And it just won't download, says there's an error. I'll try it again later just so I can actually tell you what the error says because I've forgot but it just won't download at all. As I said, it's almost like the game doesn't exist anymore, which obviously isn't the case lol.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

This is probably a stupid question but do you have enough space to download it?

THE HEARTBREAK KID

Status

This is probably a stupid question but do you have enough space to download it?
    Nah, not stupid mate, at this point I'd be asking the same too Haha!

But yeah, I've got an additional 2TB storage block with plenty of space remaining.

So I just booted up my Xbox and tried it. I click the game, click install and then it takes me to the queue section of the hub. It says it's installing.. Doesn't even get to 1%, it just says Installation stopped pretty much right away and that's it.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Can you install anything else? is the wireless signal bad? if it's an older system the Wifi adapter might be shot. try plugging an ethernet cord in.

THE HEARTBREAK KID

Status

Can you install anything else? is the wireless signal bad? if it's an older system the Wifi adapter might be shot. try plugging an ethernet cord in.
    Everything else is good mate. Download games pretty much every time I'm on there from Game Pass and such.

Just appears to be this game for whatever reason. Worked fine till it needed an update and then had issues with it, and now can't reinstall it.

Think I'll likely have to email Xbox Support or maybe try and lend someones physical copy and see if it installs from that. Could work, maybe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information