Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ROH Revisited: A Totally Non-Corona Related Marketh Reviews Comeback

VINTAGE POSTER!

Status
      Country                    Scotland

ROH ROH Revisited: A Totally Non-Corona Related Marketh Reviews Comeback

So from around 2007 to 2015, I think I pretty much saw every ROH live, PPV and TV show without fail. However, I think I've only ever seen these matches once and just revisited certain spots and moments. I always felt I should form an opinion on matches based on the first viewing. It's easier to overanalyse when you already know how it goes and I think storytelling should be evident enough without requiring another look, unless it's just rewatching for pure enjoyment. So it started as me just wanting to keep a lot of great matches fresh, then it became a habit to not go back and I felt I could remember them well enough anyway. But ROH have a fuckload of Throwback Thursdays I finally have an excuse to rewatch some classics.

Good Times, Great Memories
    ROH World Tag Team Championship
    The Briscoes vs. Motor City Machine Guns

A match that completely stole the thunder of Colt Cabana's last ROH appearance. There's been recent talk about The Young Bucks vs. Kenny Omega & Adam Page being the best North American tag of all time, which feels ridiculous to me until I stop to think about examples of tags that were similarly epic in scale, atmosphere and quality. And I think this match feels like the last tag to have gotten this much IWC buzz, though I hear NXT have reached that level too - was that Revival vs. American Alpha...or DIY...? So since I think I probably considered Briscoes/MCMG to be 5* at the time, this seemed a good match to start.

We start off with duelling "Let's Go Briscoes! Alex Shelley!" chants. Poor Sabin. Mark was recently concussed by a nasty SSP botch to the floor, which I knew was bad at the time but with so much learned about head bumps since, I'd freak out more if I saw it for the first time today. In kayfabe, it's the reason why Mark developed the dimwitted redneck character, but I think it's more like during the Steenerico feud later in the year that would start to show. Right away, MCMG remind me that I never considered them good heels. They do that gay hugging your partner's waist spot for a laugh and do a couple other spots that just come off more like you're laughing with them than at them. It's been copied since but I've never felt it aged well. It's obvious they want to be cool heels blurring the line. But this is pre-Bucks so I remember this as fresh and interesting in 2007.

It's a weird trope of The Briscoes during this time that they'd get long periods to shine before the heels would eventually take over. And I mean disproportionately long. They win all the opening exchanges, which is fine, they're babyfaces and the heels need to cheat. But whenever MCMG do cheat, The Briscoes are quickly back on top and it gets to the point where fans are chanting for Shelley to make the hot tag. Which he does, and Sabin makes the babyface comeback. This really bothered me about The Briscoes in 2008/9, I didn't realise they were doing this during what many consider their peak as a team in 2007. MCMG are so charismatic and have exciting offence that they're naturally likeable but also still do plenty of heelish things that it's just muddling up the dynamic a bit.

Once The Briscoes make a comeback from MCMG’s short heat segment, things get taken up a notch and they have some really fun, well-choreographed sequences that start getting fans on their feet. The chemistry with each other and within the teams is so good that you would think they'd done this match for months on house shows first. I might've been wrong about Mark, he doesn't seem that dumb yet but he does bust out the Redneck Kung-Fu, which I thought came later. I miss the days when The Briscoes' dynamic was brawling Jay and high-flying Mark, before they both pretty much became brawlers.

Once they start busting out their bigger double-teams and moves, it's clear they're going for a story of MCMG targetting Mark's head post-concussion, but Prazak and Leonard aren't really picking it up and selling it until nearer the end. The first big-big move of the match is Mark attempting a Shooting Star Press, the move that injured him. The crowd pops big and Mark takes a moment to celebrate nailing it this time. It's a nice bit of continuity and babyface work, that could've been a bigger deal if this wasn't like their second match post-injury. If this was a few months after the return and Mark didn't attempt it until now, this spot would've been so fucking satisfying.

There's an awesome image of Mark pinning Shelley after a Cutthroat Driver while in the background you see Sabin sticking through the ropes as Jay holds him back - Sabin's screaming and anguish as he thinks it's over really sold this finisher kickout. A moment of good ROH camera work. This is followed up by The Briscoes hitting what I think was a new move at the time and not sure if they ever did it again - a Cutthroat Driver/top rope legdrop combo for the win. And I was surprised when we reached that spot because I thought this match went on longer. This was actually really restrained by today's standards for nutty kickouts and dangerous spots. My issues with the heel/face dynamic in the first 10-or-so minutes aside, this was a very well-paced 30 minutes that built to a hot climax without overstaying its welcome. It left me wanting more from this match, which is both a positive and negative because I think there was still room to work another few minutes before it could've become OTT. And I think there was more could've been done to really sell Mark's concussion and let MCMG show more ruthlessness. I can't consider this a 5* match like I did at the time, but it was refreshing to see an indy match again that's action-driven, but not a total spotfest, and keep a crowd fired up throughout. It's a dream match, but at least had the built-in angle of Mark's concussion. It felt like an ideal first match in what I wish could've been a trilogy that year.

As far as comparing to the AEW tag...that one has a juicier, more defined and layered story that exists before the match and continues after. So it has that going for it. But the match itself really overstayed its welcome for me, unlike Briscoes/MCMG, and when you're doing crazy kickouts and spots 10 minutes after there was a perfect ending, that hurts it for me. I'd probably give the edge to the Elite tag for its ambition and my emotional involvement.

I don't do star ratings anymore.

So I doubt I'll be rambling on as much as this if I get into the habit of doing these reviews, so don't worry. I'm basically going to be picking what I fancy from the Throwback Thursday playlist, but I can take suggestions away from that if you find me a link. Willing to go before I started regularly watching ROH pre-2007, but nothing post-2015 please.

Spoiler:

i dont care if steve did this first
    Last edited by Marketh; 03-24-2020 at 07:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Diksting
    You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

WAKE UP

Status

Re: ROH Revisited: A Totally Non-Corona Related Marketh Reviews Comeback

Post the match? I assume it's on youtube? Remember this being great and you described it well, would def give it a rewatch. From memory enjoyed it a lot more than the Elite tag though wouldn't go near 5* for it.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

This is one of my all time favourite tag matches and I think there's an argument that 2007 Briscoes is the best tag team I've ever seen at their peak. Every note of this match clicked, and I loved how almost all of the kickouts were thanks to team members breaking up pins.

Superb match. The whole show is top to bottom one of the best ROH ever put on but this match is the icing on the cake.

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

The 100 Greatest WCW Matches - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

VINTAGE POSTER!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    Post the match?
    Nah, that’d be too obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Shock
    Every note of this match clicked, and I loved how almost all of the kickouts were thanks to team members breaking up pins.
    Even so, the only finisher kickout without a breakup was the one I mentioned with Sabin reaching and screaming in the background, so it was worth the dramatic visual.

You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

Main Eventer

Status

Awesome review!!!! This match was bonkers back when it came out. i rewatched it a few years ago and still really great.

The only thing i dont like about it is Shelleys kissing their opponents foot. its whack and kind of takes you out of the intensity of the match. its like hiccup.

Do London vs Styles next!!!!!!!!

ROH has been putting up lots of great matches on youtube.
    ROH 2003 - end of 2008 = best years of wrestling ever

VINTAGE POSTER!

Status

By popular demand.

Night Of The Grudges
    #1 Contender's Trophy Match
    AJ Styles vs. Paul London

This is before my time, but I have seen this before, although it's been so long to remember any details or context. Apparently, there's some bitterness that these two were supposed to team up but London had emergency surgery, so Amazing Red took his place and won the belts with AJ. This is the kinda angle I like in early ROH - it's understated, just a simple beef about human jealousy and competitiveness. London wants to show AJ what he's missing in a tag partner by beating him here. I remember enjoying this a lot and I've seen plenty other early AJ and London matches, so I've got an idea what I'm in for.

Stoner London gave us some funny moments like the Hybrid Dolphins promo and Londrick was an underutilised bright spot in a dark time for WWE's tag division, but plucky, young, serious London with amateur skills is the best London. Of course WWE stripped that away from him, along with his ambition. Pity ROH can't include entrances, because I always loved AJ's "I Am, I Am" theme. Unfortunately for AJ, the GAY COMMUNITY~! probably loved this match as these two good-looking, young guys get very sweaty very quickly, grappling in hot pants. Alexis Laree/Mickie James is here too in AJ's corner but is a non-factor.

Interesting bit of psychology early on as London wins the initial exchanges and offers AJ a competitive handshake, perplexing AJ, who then aggressively kicks London in the next mat sequence and sarcastically offers a handshake back. Things start getting heated in the following moments and London tries to psyche AJ out again, who finally refuses a handshake. AJ's hardly a veteran yet, but I guess because he has a couple years on London and is hot shit in TNA, the idea is he's not taking it well that London's winning both the wrestling and the mind games. It's tense, interesting, unusual, and it comes off feeling believable. Eventually, things get heated on the outside and London shows a rare mean streak. A cool moment when AJ ends up on the other side of the guardrail and goes for a kick over it, but London catches and gets a triple-combo of attacking AJ's leg on the rail. London keeps up the legwork and there's a great, fluid spot of AJ going for an Enzuigiri, countered into a Dragon Screw. London's leg work is always focused and interesting to watch, nothing ever really feels like a resthold, just constant attack and pressure. AJ fights his way out of an Indian Deathlock with a wicked punch at one point, securing his comeback.

They get into a great punching exchange - a proper one, not a forced BOO-YAY back-and-forth - and the crowd's hot when suddenly AJ hits probably the best Discus Lariat I've ever seen him do. The smack echoing so fucking loudly, knocking the sweat off London's chest, who bumped wickedly for it. After they're both down for a bit, AJ follows this up with a brutal-looking crotch-lifting Powerbomb thing that's not at all meant for the GAY COMMUNITY~! If there's a slight fault during the peak of the match, it's that AJ hits his moves so perfectly and gracefully for a guy getting his leg destroyed, like his Springboard Reverse DDT, but he does sell inbetween at least. London, however, is still focusing on the leg in all this and even does a sick London Star Press right on it. He also uses a Figure Four, which I guess was contractual because AJ was NWA champ at this time.

London flubs something off the middle rope (they're really sweating in this one) that, botch or not, leads into a Styles Clash but AJ obviously slams his bad knee to do it and can't cover in time. Despite their exhaustion, it still feels a bit sudden when the finish of a German Suplex double-pin happens, and the crowd's pretty disappointed too. I think they needed a different spot to finish with. Commentary were putting over that AJ's shoulders were down because of his bad leg, but that seems more plausible with a bad arm or neck. They follow the Code of Honor, albeit with some tension but still clearly with respect between them. There is still some conclusion though: in a really nice touch, AJ, carrying both his NWA and ROH tag belts, lets slip the ROH belt (I told you, they're sweaty) and London picks it up for AJ. Symbolic that this particular issue is settled, but there's still the question of who is the better wrestler.

You couldn't really say ROH didn't have stories when you have well-performed, subtle, psychological storytelling going on in matches like this. London in particular put on a more aggressive performance and showed some character, you could buy into the possibility of him turning heel at the end of this. And he was great in control of the leg. AJ was solid too, but played a simpler role as the ace who's been caught off guard and needs to take back his power. It's the physicality of this match that stands out the most, though. It's hard not to notice they were really bringing it to each other with the striking, grappling and slams, though this ring might've been helping as it was LOUD. You go into this expecting some chain-wrestling and well-executed action, but it also had a strong amount of tension and urgency that lasted all the way from those handshake spots to the end. They got some good mileage out of a really simple angle and, sadly, I think this was their only ROH singles match so no conclusion to that draw.

An easy recommendation.
    Last edited by Marketh; 03-24-2020 at 11:31 PM.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Been years since I've watched this so will probably rewatch later this week. London was brilliant in those early years of ROH. Styles, less so. More often than not I get frustrated with performances in ROH. Sometimes you get gems like the Danielson match. But just reading your review and hearing him shrug off the leg work sounds like typical ROH Styles.

Main Eventer

Status

This match was pretty awesome back in the day and i remember that clothesline . I remembering not being a huge fan of the finish. Maybe id feel different today though.

I loved the gritty feel of ROH 2003-2004.

WAKE UP

Status

Briscoes vs MCMG - I have mixed feelings on this one. It still felt like a great match, but it doesn't hold up as much as other matches that will come. The final 5 minutes are BIG but everything before that is pretty mid-tempo. I liked how they escalated through the match from the chain wrestling to the strikes to the high impact moves, but most of the match was 'good' rather than 'great'. There isn't much a story, it's all about the action and workrate, and at the time this was probably the first real super indy tag team epic so it stood out, but that doesn't age quite as well. However it does get credos as the first of this type of match, there's probably a case to be had that without this (or a match similar to this) we don't end up with guys like the Young Bucks.

Crowd was red hot throughout, but it felt almost like one of them TNA crowds who'd chant 'This is awesome' for anything, like they had decided it was a MOTYC before it even started. Still, this was more restrained than I remembered and a very good match overall, but I wouldn't put it in my Top 10 ROH matches or anything.

London vs Styles - London was such a hell of a worker, and his leg work is fucking great. Everything looks hurty, mixing it up, a bunch of unique stuff, going back to it whenever he needed to gain the advantage. Even with the handshakes, this was intense from the off. Apart from the double dropkick stand-off, all of the early grappling came across as a frantic scramble. Even with the moment of spotty leg selling I thought Styles was great, his body language and facial expressions really put over the intensity of the match throughout. The hockey-punch spot leading to THAT lariat was sick. Styles does one springboard moving using his bad leg, which is irking, but otherwise I thought his selling was great. Him not being able to pin after the Styles Clash because of the leg and the finish itself are brilliant. I remember this being a classic and one of the best ROH matches ever and it holds up. An excellent, physical, smart, match with a great story.

Keep 'em coming.
    Last edited by King Steventon; 03-25-2020 at 09:59 AM.

VINTAGE POSTER!

Status

Yeah I wouldn’t use that momentary lack of selling as that much of a stain on AJ’s overall performance, but I felt it fair to point out as I would jump on that for workers I don’t like too. You say it was intense “even with the handshakes” but that was part of the tension for me, because they played it like a tactic by London to wind up AJ and it worked. So London creates the hostility that makes this a match with beef rather than standard face vs face. It seems you dug the finish much more than me, I just felt it came off anti-climatic in its execution and there were more exciting ways of getting to a draw. Overall, we do agree this is a fucking great match.

Main Eventer

Status

I hope you do Punk vs Shelley from 3rd anniversary next!!!

VINTAGE POSTER!

Status

Later on. I’m gonna stick with 2007-15 requests or what I fancy for the next couple.

VINTAGE POSTER!

Status

Northern Navigation
    ROH World Championship
    Nigel McGuinness vs. Kevin Steen

Nigel is in the swing of his classic heel title run during this time, which I'm sure most reading this are well aware of. A run that's a shame we'll never see him replicate on a bigger stage. Once he turned, it was like a switch flipped and he was suddenly way more confident, charismatic, a better talker and now I was into all his matches, not just the ones with top guys. He was such an entertaining shit-talker and here we have him paired with one of the best shit-talkers. A great aspect of Nigel's run was that it never focused on a singular big feud, he juggled several mini-feuds with Steen, Generico and Claudio to put them over at the same as spreading out long-term ones with Dragon, Tyler and Lynn. What's interesting about this from Steen's side is that, post-Briscoes feud, he's now transitioning from obnoxious heel to smartass babyface and this is the blowoff of a solid, fun mini-feud that's started as two heels heeling each other and gradually evolved into Steen gaining more support. So it's fitting to blow this off in Canada where he'll get the crowd 100% on his side.

It's a no fun-and-games approach to the start this time, with a staredown and Steen not letting go of Nigel during the Code of Honor. Nigel's a heat magnet as usual, with "Fuck You, Nigel!" chants. It's pretty uninspiring action in the first few minutes, to be honest. They chain-wrestle a bit, but it's not exactly Steen's skillset, so it doesn't really get going until they're fighting around the ring. And here's where I snap awake again as we go from nothing to Steen taking what he calls the MOST. PAINFUL. BUMP of his career. That's saying a lot for him, but I totally believe it, I've replayed this spot a thousand times. In kayfabe, it's Nigel tossing him from the guardrail back-first onto the edge of the apron with a sickening thud. In reality, it's Steen doing a Swanton into one of the most uncomfortable landings, then falling onto his head on the floor. It's a Darby Allin bump, but looks nastier on a heavier guy. Pretty sure I'd make my wrestling figures do bumps like this when I was wee, because I didn't think it'd be something that'd ever actually happen. This will be a big part of Steen having serious back issues down the road. Within this story though, it's definitely one way to put Steen in serious trouble and into survival mode.

Steen's just on the floor screaming oh my God, which has to be a shoot. Poor guy is gonna have to get his back worked on by Nigel for the rest of the match, otherwise it makes no sense. He even takes a head-over-heels bump into the guardrail that didn't look like he protected himself much. Nigel, as usual, is a glorious dickhead during all of this with his fan interactions: giving them Vs, throwing sweat, trash-talking. After Steen's comeback, Nigel manages to get in a Tower of London onto the floor for a 2-count, which reminds me of something that did annoy me during his reign. He rarely put anyone away with one finisher ever, which I felt devalued his moveset. He had various lariats, the Tower of London and the London Dungeon submission and in any match any one of these was the actual finish and the rest were nearfalls along the way. I can appreciate the other side of thinking where it can be predictable to have one move that guarantees the end, but him working like this usually removed some of the impact of nearfalls for me, particularly when you have midcarders like Steen kicking out of it being done on the floor. The fact he's able to kick out of a normal one should be plenty to put him over. And of course, Steen kicks out of a regular one too shortly thereafter.

Nigel, being a GOAT heel, gets so much joy from doing a Sharpshooter in Canada. Steen sentons off the top rope to the floor and, with the weight difference, Nigel can barely catch him so only kinda breaks Steen's fall which is pretty flat on the floor. Especially nasty after that bump earlier. It earns its "Holy Shit!" chant. After a series of lariat nearfalls, the only one me and the crowd are truly worked by is a Jawbreaker Lariat kickout for a great pop. A top rope lariat later and Nigel secures the victory and Steen comes away looking like a star to his home crowd, but we know he'll later get more opportunities to truly elevate the card and become a main event act.

I must have had rose-tinted glasses for this one, because I remembered it really fondly but I didn't think this was too special this time. It's certainly enjoyable, but it's the two crazy Steen bumps that stand out to me above the story and the rest of the action. I think it's because this was your basic (though still high) standard for Nigel during his reign, and Steen would later have stronger performances. It's not like Steen did anything wrong here, it was just nothing apart from the two big bumps and the hometown hero factor stood out to me as going beyond what's expected in a 2008 Nigel title defence. I'm not meaning MOAR BUMPS~!, but I could've used more visual storytelling with his face, selling the back like death and more animosity between him and Nigel to take it to the next level.
    Last edited by Marketh; 03-26-2020 at 05:36 AM.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

You touched on it in your review about Nigel's moveset. I remember being on the ROH forum all the time in 06-08 and seeing the shift from him being universally adored to being hated for being the Lariat guy (which translated onto the shows and eventually led to him turning heel).

When I watch some old Nigel matches from this time period there's some where I think people were being ridiculous in their criticism, and there's others where I'm like "fuck, that's a lot of finishers". It definitely worked better for him as a heel because it felt right that he was doing the moves that got him hated. That's why outside of a couple matches, I prefer when he's a heel in this title run.

I agree this match isn't anything too special outside of the bump Steen took. Their in ring styles are so different and I don't think they meshed well together - then again I'm not Steen's biggest fan in ring especially as a face.

My request: Joe vs Ebetaro vs Delerious vs Jack Evans

WAKE UP

Status

I think a lot of the flack Nigel got was because he became a very formula guy, working the same kind of matches laid out in the same way with the same moves. But really, most workers in that position work to a formula, and as long as the formula is good I have no issue with that. Nigel's formula was good and I enjoyed most of his title defenses, though it went off the deep end towards the end of it.

I had to look up on cagematch how many matches these guys had - this was the 3rd title shot Steen had against Nigel in 3 months, and the first 2 were back to back defences only 2 weeks apart. Weird booking.

I really enjoyed Steen as the hometown babyface, he shows plenty of fire and the crowd were super hot for this. Nigel's early grappling was good and I dug the face raking as a heel move. The throw into the apron is such a nasty bump, and Nigel follows up on it with a pretty good heat section working over Steen's back. Steen's long-term selling of the back is great, and I love the Tower Of London to the floor as a move to cut off his momentum deep in the match. The big senton from Steen near the end was fucking crazy and such a good desperation move. The whole end run is pretty fucking great though it goes a beat or two too long.

This was very much a Nigel formula match, but even then I appreciate he mixed up the formula by working the back instead of the arm. Add in a strong showing from Steen and a red hot crowd and I think this holds up and delivered as a big title match. Maybe the best of the 'second-tier' (non-PPV/supercard) Nigel defenses. Nigel really was a hell of a talent, and this is probably a Top 5 Steen/Owens singles match too.
    Last edited by King Steventon; 03-26-2020 at 10:07 AM.

VINTAGE POSTER!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    Maybe the best of the 'second-tier' (non-PPV/supercard) Nigel defenses.
    That's probably accurate, the Generico and Claudio matches don't stick out in my mind as well as this does. It's also better than some of the Tyler and Lynn matches, which reminds me that I think the first Tyler defence and the not-quite-broadway draw deserve some revisiting.

Status
      Country                    United States

I’m late to the party. I watched Briscoes vs MCMG. I’m sure seeing it live at that specific time had a certain vibe and feel to it. But I could see how someone then might give it a five star rating. A bunch of it doesn’t hold up well, but then parts of it are top notch and on point with current wrestling. The first half of the match is such a slow gradual build, but as stated, the antics of Shelly and Sabin aren’t very heelish. You laugh with them for the most part, and then you don’t because it’s pretty dumb. But then as the match gets more serious, you don’t want to boo them because their double team moves and athleticism are just so good.

Jay having his gum knocked out of his mouth, then putting it back in is the stupid kind of gross shit I’m always here for.

The Final ten minutes are brilliant. As previously pointed out, the false finish with Sabin just outside is amazing camera work and brilliant selling. This match was fun. Simple as that.

VINTAGE POSTER!

Status

The Final Showdown
    Four Corner Survival
    Samoa Joe vs. Ebetaro vs. Jack Evans vs. Delirious

The video description says this is ROH's most requested match for Throwback Thursday. It's also one of the earliest ROH matches I remember seeing on The Wrestling Channel, which was a UK channel for a couple years that revealed to a lot of fans a world beyond WWE with tonnes of old shows: ROH, NJPW, NOAH, CZW, IWA-MS, MLW, Memphis, World of Sport, FWA, probably more. They were shown in pretty random orders and incomplete, if I recall, which is perfect for a match like this which needs no context.

First of all, why was this combination of workers thought up for a match in the first place? I could understand booking a singles Joe/Evans and Delirious/Ebetaro, but this fourway seems random as fuck. Ebetaro/Kikutaro/Ebessan/whatever other fucking names this guy went by, is someone I haven't thought about in years. Is he still around? He was hilarious whenever I saw him, but I never deliberately sought out his matches because that mask gives me the creeps and masks aren't typically a phobia of mine. It's just weird-looking and I've never been sure what his gimmick actually is except...clown? Delirious was really funny and new to me back then. The gimmick would wear thin to me over the years after his Rhett Titus feud and eventually I'd resent the guy for a number of his booking decisions, including how he'd book himself. Wigga Jack Evans was a fun character. Joe is the Pure Champion, but must've needed to take it easy for this night.

Classic ROH video production. The hard cam isn't white balanced to match the ringside cameras, giving everyone a pink hue. Not like it could've been corrected in post or anything... Reviewing this match is like reviewing standup comedy. You can't get too descriptive because it kinda spoils the joke. It just happens these guys' characters bounce off each other really well and I'm curious if anyone ever revealed how much of this was worked out beforehand or if they improvised all of this. Ebetaro is great slapstick, Delirious is insane, Evans is the cocky white boy who thinks he knows Japan from kung-fu movies, and Joe is the straight man observing all this shit. The crowd eats up literally all of this.

An early highlight is Joe actually kicking Evans out of his shoes. The wooing for Ebetaro's chops magically transform him into Ric Flair, initiating my favourite sequence of the match, as they smoothly go through a series of trademark Flair spots, complete with clunky sideways back bumps and punctuating with the Flair flop. I'd actually totally forgot the finish was Evans sneaking in a 630 to Delirious while Joe was trying to choke out Ebetaro. I even had to rewind cause I was like "WTF, he's not legal", only to discover he actually did blind tag Joe. I remembered it as Joe choking out Evans for some reason.

It's the ROH comedy match. For a promotion you could claim has taken itself too seriously for some eras of its existence, ROH have had a number of funny matches, but I doubt any are still nearly as remembered fondly as this one (there's 5 minutes of pre-match banter between Generico and Danielson that's glorious). And it's a total Ebetaro showcase. The other three get in some great moments, but it's him who's carrying this. I dunno if you can show this to a non-wrestling fan and get every laugh, but for its target audience it was a perfect comedy match. Didn't overstay its welcome, nailed every joke, enough decent action at the end.
    Last edited by Marketh; 03-28-2020 at 09:55 PM.

Main Eventer

Status

I was never a huge fan of this match and honestly have only seen it once when i got the dvd in like 2006. I wonder how'd id feel about it now. Good review though and you re spot on about not giving away to much.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Thanks for doing this review,, this is one of the funniest wrestling matches ever put to film. It's a blast from start to finish.

Delirious is a guy that I really loved as a character. I didn't sour on him too much as I had long given up on ROH by the time his act got stale and he was handed the booking reigns.

I think this is the only Ebetaro match I can remember which is weird considering how much I love this match and his performance.

This match rules. For a promotion not known for this sort of thing, they knocked it out the park.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information