Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: ROH Revisited: A Totally Non-Corona Related Marketh Reviews Comeback

VINTAGE POSTER!

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Re: ROH Revisited: A Totally Non-Corona Related Marketh Reviews Comeback

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    Excellent match from memory and glad you think it holds up. Cool to see Homicide getting revisited after he got stomped in the tournament, I thin people have started to forget how great he was during his prime. I mean I like Corino more than most, but Homicide getting this level of a match out of him in 2003 is something. The barbwire ring match is also great as well.

Give us a Jimmy Rave revisit soon!
    I have the Punk matches in mind, but I'm gonna hold off on more of him for a bit since I'm doing the Joe trilogy and did that Shelley match. You have a Rave favourite that's not those?

Quote Originally Posted by Diksting
    You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

WAKE UP

Status

I would have suggested:

- Punk vs Rave cage match
    - Gen Next vs Embassy cage match
    - Rave vs Nigel Fight Without Honor
    - Rave vs Necro Dog Collar match

VINTAGE POSTER!

Status

All-Star Extravaganza II
    ROH World Championship
    Samoa Joe vs. CM Punk

At last we come to the end of the classic trilogy between Joey Samoey and Punkmaster Plex. Twice we've seen CM Punk take Samoa Joe to the limit, but this time...there is no limit~! So will they once again go 60 minutes, 90 minutes, maybe even 2 hours?!

No. That would be silly. But don't doubt that Gabe probably considered it. Punk's strategy to take advantage of his superior cardio has taken him closer than anyone to conquering Joe, but hasn't achieved the goal yet. Since this rivalry has started, he's gotten under Joe's skin and made him show increasing signs of frustration, including Joe cheapshotting him after accepting Punk's challenge for the re-rematch. Plus, there is the ongoing angle of Joe's struggle to hold onto the championship the longer his reign goes. So there's now a bit more of a personal edge to this than just competition and a shift where Punk is full-on babyface now and Joe is showing more heel tendencies. But I'm sure he'll chill out. The debate has always been whether II or III was the better of this trilogy and my opinion will settle it once and for all. You're welcome.

Joe actually surprises Punk with a chop as the first move, a change in pattern from the grappling they would do in the other matches. It's a great bit of continuity, as they chain-wrestle but when Joe sees the opportunity, he'll strike Punk - a sign he's more determined to end this sooner now. But it's obvious to Punk what's going on and he teases Joe with a playful Orange Cassidy chop and forces him into the famous headlock. What I love about their matches is how we're rewarded for paying attention, almost everything matters and there's smaller threads that link the three together, not just the general storyline. If they've been calling these matches in the ring this whole time, they're geniuses. Although, after two long matches of Punk going for headlocks, I'm starting to wonder why this is Joe's kryptonite. We know he's stronger than Punk and we've seen him counter his way out of this before, but we're in the third match and Punk can still make him his bitch for long stretches with a headlock. By now I'm not sure it makes sense for Joe to still be struggling with this. And as I say that, Joe manages to back Punk into the corner to force the ropebreak and unleash a flurry of strikes and cusses at Punk, who returns the favour and actually knocks Joe down with a slap. That slap wasn't hard enough for me to really buy it, but I loved this sequence and that we're seeing these two in a more aggressive, fast-paced bout.

Joe gets the match he's been trying to have since their first when he gets to kick the shit out of Punk, bust him open and be as dominant as he's accustomed to. It's a Joe who's sick of Punk's shit and the cat-and-mouse game, who's finally caught him and taking pleasure in punishing him for being a smartass so annoyingly hard to beat. Punk's great at selling this beating, taking a lot of kicks, headbutts or just Joe being a dick and attacking Punk's wound. It's easily the most vulnerable Punk's looked in the series and I'm enjoying the change of pace to a more traditional structure. In a desperate comeback attempt, Punk hits a dropkick off the apron and lands flat on his back on the hardwood floor. Inspired, Joe would later top this craziness against Sting on some stairs. It's a success though, and this brings us to a stretch of them throwing their balls in the air with some of their big moves - me and the crowd losing our minds. Punk hits a Moonsault that looked a lot like he nailed Joe right in the face with maybe his knee, but Joe seems all right. In the biggest nearfall so far, Joe counters a Powerbomb attempt with an unexpected Hurricanrana, followed by a massive Lariat. Edge of my seat. It's when workers can make everything seem as urgent as this that I can especially get into and enjoy it.

In a brilliant sequence, Punk's fading during a sleeper and it looks to be a KO as his hand falls a third time, but Ricky Steamboat at ringside stops the timekeeper and furiously points at Punk's fingers still wiggling. That's kinda suspect as far as the rules go, but it makes for great drama and then Punk gets a burst of adrenaline and multiple bursts of escape attempts that all get great reactions. Lots of very close flash pins, it's exciting as fuck. Then we get that moment. The infamous Joe using the ropes for leverage in another rollup attempt. Shock. Horror. I'm aghast and agog. "Fuck You, Joe!" chants. Excellent storytelling. It's not enough for a proper heel turn and it doesn't factor in there still being a conclusive outcome in the actual finish, when Joe gets the KO from a Coquina Clutch for definite this time. But it's obviously enough to show Punk was so close to winning that Joe momentarily lost faith in himself pulling off the win. It's a genius, outside-the-box way of putting over Punk as closer than anyone to taking Joe's title. It only works so well when we've had nearly 2 years of Joe not having done something like this. Also, this trilogy has been a very back-to-basics style of wrestling that this moment of drama has very much been earned by now.

If there's one thing that's quite disappointing (and maybe this is just missing from the video, but it looks like Punk is heading to the back) is that we get Joe on the mic, putting over the title and Punk, but then moving on to talk about other business. The gravity of what we just saw needed Punk to have his moment, to take in a much-deserved standing ovation that I'm especially surprised in ROH he didn't get here. Once Joe moves on, Punk slips away. This absolutely needed the visual of him alone in the ring, selling the epic 5* battle, reacting to the fans' respect and admiration. This was far more important than a Joe/Foley angle.

I would have no hesitation in calling this the best of the trilogy. You can't appreciate it fully without the context of at least Joe/Punk II, but it's an excellent payoff and bell-to-bell one of ROH's best ever matches. Unlike the 60min broadways, this had no segments where they lost my attention and particularly everything from Punk's comeback onwards was action-packed and thrilling. The other two matches, I appreciated as well-crafted matches that told and continued a great story, but III had their most exciting aspects and took them to the next level. It's incredible all the thought and detail that's went into providing the elements that make this match a classic. Is it the best CM Punk match? I think so. Is it the best Samoa Joe match? Maybe, but there's a 2005 one against a dirty foreigner I'll need to revisit before I can be certain.

You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Wonderful summary for a great match. I think the storytelling in this one is amazing and pays off not just what we saw in the previous two matches but also Joe's reign as a whole. Its a very clever use of blood in a match because it forces Punk to reassess the strategy that seemed to be working. I love how much Punk is put over despite failing in three title matches. To the point where despite the blood, Joe still has to try and cheat. Great stuff.

I think this is Punk's best match. I'm not sure about Joe, it's a very tough one. I like it over the Kobashi match, but I like the Danielson match you reviewed a touch more, and I also love the AJ Styles match from TNA Turning Point 2005.

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

The 100 Greatest WCW Matches - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

VINTAGE POSTER!

Status

Glory By Honor IX
    Double Chain Match
    Kevin Steen & Steve Corino vs. El Generico & Colt Cabana

https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV14W411M7Lz/

Out of the five matches I'm revisiting from the Kevin Steen and El Generico feud, this is the one I remember the least. Thanks to the infamously regular streaming issues with GoFightLive, I and many other live iPPV viewers lost about 10 minutes of this match just before catching the final moments. I'm not sure I ever bothered to rewatch this. Partly, this is because by the time we reached this stage of the feud, it was becoming a bit like "What gimmick match will we have them do this time?" so I wasn't too fussed about what seemed like just another one of those without any major story continuation. But over the years, I've seen this singled out for praise a few times and it's their last New York match before the Final Battle blowoff, so it seemed more worthy of revisiting than others.

Steen puts over in a promo beforehand that the chain is to represent him and Generico being constantly linked together for their entire careers. He's also sporting a Best Wrestling Shirt Ever candidate, the one of Generico's decapitated head on the steel chair. Generico and Cabana win a coin toss to pick who they'll each be chained to and obviously Generico picks Steen. I'd rather they just chained them up from the start, this coin toss pretty much killed any tension here. Also tension-killing are dual spots with both pairs of opponents mirroring the same offence, including the Dusty Bionic Elbows. By now, we've seen them fight quite a lot so are quite used to it - and while the crowd is still into this, it's not as hot as the other matches I've covered. It doesn't take long for Steenorino to both get busted open, but these kinda just happen without significance. Steel chains in wrestling have never really had much of an affect on me, to be honest. I can guess from real life how being hit by one must suck, but it never seems to have an impact seeing them used in wrestling on a screen.

Thankfully, things get fired up when Generico and Cabana make their comeback. They set up for Generico going Coast-to-Coast on Corino, but when Steen tries to yank the chain, Generico counters and hops the ropes into a Springboard Senton on the floor! Awesome spot with a big reaction. Soon followed by another when Steen tries this again and Generico takes a big bump through a table on the floor. An aspect of this feud I forgot about, 15-year-old Colby Corino runs down to cut Steen free from Generico. Loud "Kill The Kid!" chants. Steen uses his chain so Cabana has both arms tied up, defenceless. Generico keeps coming to the rescue and Corino keeps grandstanding and hotdogging with a chair for way too long, giving the game away that Cabana's not actually gonna be scathed in this predicament. They try to milk some melodrama out of this, with Generico covering Cabana to protect his friend, but it's really too over-the-top wholesome for me and this crowd. Corino hits an ECW-level chairshot on Cabana - Lance Storm in ECW, that is - which gets loud boos. In an unintentionally funny karma for his poor efforts, when Generico throws a chair at Steen, it bounces off and lands on the back of poor Corino's unsuspecting head! I shouldn't laugh, but I can't help. They recover some good heat from the crowd in the last few moments, in time for Corino tapping out to Billy Goat's Curse. Generico teases finally giving Steen the Brainbustah! when Steen rips the mask off! Cabana helps him cover his face and escape to the back, while Steen wears it. So it doesn't really matter who won this match, the heels got the psychological victory and it's them posing at the end that'll be remembered more than the result.

So as you can tell, I was underwhelmed by this, but I'm not completely surprised. This is the last quarter of a year long feud and they're pretty much just killing time to get to Final Battle. There wasn't as much heat left in these Corino/Cabana tags, this was really just to give the crowd a solid match to get us to the actual story development in the aftermath. They did try to deliver some drama, but it just didn't land for me or the crowd, who responded more to the best moments of action than story. This has been a bloody, brutal feud, so Cabana simply being chained up doesn't make me concerned for him unless he's actually going to take some damage, but they tried to sell this on the threat alone when we've already seen these guys get fucked up in the Chicago street fight and several other hardcore matches. It just got ridiculous watching Corino milking the fuck out of what he wanted to do to Cabana and timewasting for Generico. Plus that "true meaning of friendship" moment wasn't in the right atmosphere at all for that to be effective. Even the blading was underwhelming, they're all showing colour within a few minutes and it just feels like it's only because the crowd expected to see blood, I didn't feel any added tension from it. This match has its bright spots, usually when there's a big dive or bump, but overall it's pretty much filler for this feud. Ah well, they wrestled so much this year that they can't all be winners.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

I know what you mean about the steel chain not feeling impactful. On paper it sounds more brutal than a leather strap, but I know which one works better in a wrestling match.

The 100 Greatest WCW Matches - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

VINTAGE POSTER!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    I know what you mean about the steel chain not feeling impactful. On paper it sounds more brutal than a leather strap, but I know which one works better in a wrestling match.

I think it’s also because they’re always clearly holding back on using the chain as a weapon except for unconvincing choke spots. A strap match (without the touching the corners stip) might’ve been pretty good instead of this, if only because Generico’s pale back would get lit up and Steenorino’s selling during their comeuppance would’ve been great.

Which Steen/Corino vs Generico/Cabana match featured Corino wrestling in an all white suit? I remember that one being a lot of fun because you just knew that Corino would be a bloody mess by the end.

By 2010, I had lost most interest in ROH, but this program along with watching key matches with The Wolves, TWGTT, and The Kings of Wrestling kept me from completely giving up on the company.

Main Eventer

Status

I rewatched this entire feud a few months back and loved every second of this match. it was brutal and Steen going after the mask was perfect in transcending Generico to the black mask. super important match in the feud. Maybe you ll feel differently about it once you getto FB 2010
    ROH 2003 - end of 2008 = best years of wrestling ever

VINTAGE POSTER!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Which Steen/Corino vs Generico/Cabana match featured Corino wrestling in an all white suit? I remember that one being a lot of fun because you just knew that Corino would be a bloody mess by the end.
    That's Bitter Friends, Stiffer Enemies 2 which I revisited a couple pages back. And yeah, that was definitely the best of their tags.

Quote Originally Posted by indyfan
    I rewatched this entire feud a few months back and loved every second of this match. it was brutal and Steen going after the mask was perfect in transcending Generico to the black mask. super important match in the feud. Maybe you ll feel differently about it once you getto FB 2010
    I don't think I'll feel any differently because the unmasking was a good angle that occurred in the aftermath, it doesn't change that the match before it wasn't as heated or interesting as most of their other matches. Compare it to the Big Bang tag, where the important angle happens in the aftermath, but everything in the match itself built to that moment by keeping Generico from getting at Steen. The chain match was just a match and then the unmasking happened. Part of what makes that moment is that it's another routine tag in this feud until that shocker, but I don't think their attempts at drama during it worked well at all and the crowd weren't sold either unless a big spot was happening.

Curtain Jerker

Status

I rewatched both the Aj Styles vs. London match and the Corino vs. Homicide match talked about in this thread. The AJ/London battle still holds up tremendously, and I liked it even more than the Epic Encounter on my latest rewatch of both, feels more fluid and even. It's strange because London made his name on getting his ass kicked and creating tremendous hope spots, and I'd say he's more in control in the Styles match, even heelish. London remains one of the biggest disappointments in terms of how he was ultimately utilized in WWE, he could have really been a true blue babyface that you always wanted to see chase a heel (the shining light of Xavier's entire title reign), instead he was absolutely wasted.

The Corino vs. Homicide match didn't hold up as well for me as other matches. I don't know if it's me having a weaker stomach when it comes to hardcore stuff or if it's the fact that the build up is really integral to this story, they call back to previous matches with the tope and the dragon sleeper. It's still a brawl and intense feud that really helped put ROH on the map as a company that could have great matches of every type. Before most of the hardcore matches were just garbage brawls, this was brutal to up the intensity of the hatred. Still good. Man was Homicide over in 2003. Wow.

VINTAGE POSTER!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by kip helmsley
    The Corino vs. Homicide match didn't hold up as well for me as other matches. I don't know if it's me having a weaker stomach when it comes to hardcore stuff or if it's the fact that the build up is really integral to this story, they call back to previous matches with the tope and the dragon sleeper. It's still a brawl and intense feud that really helped put ROH on the map as a company that could have great matches of every type. Before most of the hardcore matches were just garbage brawls, this was brutal to up the intensity of the hatred. Still good. Man was Homicide over in 2003. Wow.
    I'm surprised you recognised the callbacks and it didn't hold up as well for you, whereas I could only go from what I saw in the match itself and loved it.

Steel Cage Warfare
    The Embassy vs. Generation Next

https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1hx411f7MW

I've been looking forward to this. When I think of The Embassy, I think of the Embassy Curse: during their second run as the main midcard heel faction, most members or opponents would quickly lose career momentum and typically were gone from ROH soon after. Being put in an angle with The Embassy in the HDNet era meant creative had nothing for you or it was a last ditch attempt to get you over.

Members released:
    - Jimmy Rave
    - Erick Stevens
    - Necro Butcher
    - Shawn Daivari
    - Bison Smith
    - Joey Ryan

Enemies released:
    - Dark City Fight Club
    - Brent Albright
    - Rasche Brown
    - Eddie Kingston

So the run they had feuding with Generation Next is one that I recall seeing bits and pieces on The Wrestling Channel and I could tell they were a great faction from that. I've seen how incredibly over as a heel Jimmy Rave was and how could you not love his act? That sneer, the toilet paper "streamers", stepping on Jade Chung. And I've always had a fondness for Prince Nana, even in those later dark years for The Embassy because he's such a fun personality. I'm certain I've seen this Steel Cage Warfare before and can recall some key spots, mainly ones with Jack Evans.

Rave is out first and it's your classic Rave entrance - he is absolutely disgusted by the vulgar, unwashed ROH fans and they're already chanting "Die, Jimmy, Die!" and TP'ing him. It's great seeing him throw it back directly at people and getting in their faces. They usually don't back down either because he's the ultimate chickenshit heel. This first portion is mainly Rave being chased around the ring by Austin Aries, getting beaten up. Aries is just messing with him, calling out to the fans if he should show him mercy. Alex Shelley is then out in a Gen Next shirt, followed by Matt Sydal. It's fairly standard action so far, but enjoyable enough. My guess is The Embassy are mostly going to be getting their asses kicked until a certain Weapon of Masked Destruction arrives. Sydal and Aries put them in a double Bow and Arrow submission, which I don't think I've seen before but I'm sure Shelley probably used in the X-Division too.

Abyss is out and now things are getting interesting as he attacks the timekeeper for no real reason and easily destroys Aries and Sydal. Now the heels finally are getting the real advantage, as Shelley cracks Aries over the head with a chair and Skullfucks him into it. Roderick Strong is out next like a house on fire to Backbreaker the shit out of Shelley and throw chops. He takes the coolest bump so far when Abyss Belly-to-Bellys him into the cage and he bounces off the ropes like a trampoline. He lands completely safe, but just the way he got ragdolled was awesome. Right after, Sydal hops over Rave and is caught by one of the best Black Hole Slams I've seen Abyss do. Rave prevents the cover so he can hit the Pedigree and take credit for the elimination. Love it. Great dickhead spot from Rave and Abyss is the MVP of this so far.

Prince Nana is the last Embassy member, so luckily for him Generation Next is down a member, because that's quite a mismatch. 4-on-2 and Aries especially has been getting killed for a while. They make a point of it mostly being Shelley going after Aries, enjoying his revenge on the man who kicked him out of Gen Next and took his leadership, so he's more trying to punish him than get the elimination. In a bit of great booking, instead of Jack Evans, we get Jade Chung out to lure The Embassy and then Evans runs out and heads straight to the top of the cage. Repeating the most famous spot in indy wrestling history [citation needed] he performs a Double Moonsault to The Embassy on the floor!!! But WHAT THE FUCK, Abyss doesn't catch him and Evans just bounces off him and hits his head on the floor! It was like Evans was covered in grease or something. Nana especially looks terrified for Evans' wellbeing. I dunno what happened there, like if the lights were in Abyss' eyes or if the speed of Evans coming down froze him but fuck me, that was scary. Evans is moving soon after, but I wouldn't be surprised if his head hurts like Hell. Unbelievably, for anyone who's not Jack Evans, he's back on the top of the cage again for an avalanche Ode to Bulldogs! Incredibly impressive spot that eliminates Abyss. Annoyingly, they go for a replay from a better angle and cut it off early.

Short but memorable performance, Evans is eliminated by Shelley for big heat. Strong breaks up a pinfall for Aries taking a Ghanarreah, only for Aries to then kick out of a Shellshock by himself. You'd think it would be more dramatic for Strong to break up the second pinfall, since apparently Aries was actually fine during the first. Miscommunication~! leads to Nana accidentally getting hit by his own men and then Strong taking Rave to Backbreaker City. Aries finally gets a comeback and Brainbusters Shelley through a chair, while Rave taps to the Stronghold - both eliminated. We're left with what everyone wants to see, Prince Nana trapped alone to get what's coming to him. It's a good enough beatdown, they don't milk it too long and quickly win Steel Cage Warfare with a 450 Splash. It wouldn't have felt right for this type of match to end with the babyfaces beating up a manager for a significant time. The best part of the celebration is easily Jade Chung using Rave as her footstool for a change, digging her heels into his back. I haven't seen the whole feud obviously, but this match feels like a worthy payoff.

Definitely an enjoyable feud-ender. It's just ok at first, but then really picks up steam once Abyss enters and then again with Evans to add some spectacle with two high, acrobatic dives. Shame he was poorly caught on the Double Moonsault, but like several other landings he's taken in his career, he was miraculously fine. I don't think there's an awful lot to say, it's a rather simple story told well by everyone involved and well-paced - glad that it never really felt like 5 whole minutes between entrants. The rest of the non-Evans action was solid, especially enjoyed Abyss having a bunch of smaller guys to destroy. I maybe could've done with Rave having more of a presence throughout, it's only him stealing the Sydal elimination I remember the most, and they could've made more of a thing out of Aries and Shelley - their interactions were kinda quietly ongoing in the background until Aries eliminated him. But there's not much negative to say here, very fun multiman cage match.

[Run]

Status
      Country                    England

Got this one on a DVD set, and it still holds up, Evans is completely insane. Agreed on Abyss being the MVP, his size made him such an awesome addition to ROH whilst he was there. Loved the interaction between him and Shelley too.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

WAKE UP

Status

Excellent match. The booking really goes with the talent in this match and fits everyone's role perfectly. I'd agree it's one of ROH's best payoffs ever. Heck it's probably a Top 10 ROH match for me based on how well laid out and satisfying it all is.

Main Eventer

Status

Yeah i also love this match. I loved everything about it. Nana and Rave were the best heels in ROH history. I love the fact that ROH explained John Walter leaving ROH as he took up a position, offered by Nana, in Ghana as a politician lol. Genius!

Id like to throw out a recommondation

Aries vs Go Shiozaki from the 6th anniversary show 2008

or

Marafuji vs Shiozaki from DBD 2008
    Last edited by indyfan; 05-20-2020 at 07:15 AM.

VINTAGE POSTER!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    Excellent match. The booking really goes with the talent in this match and fits everyone's role perfectly. I'd agree it's one of ROH's best payoffs ever. Heck it's probably a Top 10 ROH match for me based on how well laid out and satisfying it all is.
    Very high praise. I couldn't go as far as that myself, but yeah it's an excellent payoff.

Quote Originally Posted by indyfan
    Aries vs Go Shiozaki from the 6th anniversary show 2008

or

Marafuji vs Shiozaki from DBD 2008
    One of these has been on my mind, so will get to it shortly.

VINTAGE POSTER!

Status

Supercard of Honor
    Do FIXER vs. Blood Generation

Time for another from Dave Meltzer's 5* matches list. It's one that, in the short term, created a tradition of Supercard of Honor featuring 3 years in a row the highly-anticipated Dragon Gate six-man (CIMA, Dragon Kid and Ryo Saito appearing in them all). And in the long term, sparked a fascination with Dragon Gate and its style that led to their stars appearing in more promotions (TNA, PWG, CHIKARA, even MTV's WSX) and the formation of DGUSA as Gabe's "fuck you" to ROH. These matches are generally remembered fondly for their high-speed, high-adrenaline, flashy style before this became normalised. When the first trios tag came out, I would always see it hyped up as one of the greatest things you've ever seen and if you were a jaded ex-WWE fan slowly starting to discover life beyond that world, it definitely was. It's been nearly a decade and a half since the first one, time to see if I'm still blown away.

Lenny Leonard: "In Dragon Gate rules, tags are not necessary." Masato Yoshino tags in Naruki Doi. "But you might still see some." Well that clears up any potential confusion, thanks Lenny. The first sign of this being something new and cool is seeing Yoshino run the ropes for the first time with his USP of being the fastest you've ever seen a wrestler go. Has anyone faster than him come around since? What strikes me is that, although they're hardly sluggish in the first 10 minutes, it's still rather simple stuff, yet this always gets talked up like it was a non-stop sprint of a spotfest for the whole thing, but there's definitely a feeling out process at first and they reserve the good shit.

Once Genki Horiguchi makes the hot tag, that's when all Hell breaks loose and the match becomes everything it's famous for. It's not long before the crowd's on their feet and popping for every nearfall. Spots that have become standard in the indies, NXT and now WWE are being reacted to as if they were being seen for the first time, which I'm sure is the case. Everything they do is so fast and well-choreographed, plenty of sequences where each spot transitions into the next. "Please Don't Stop!" chants, more appropriate here than when you usually hear "Fight Forever!" I'm not gonna bother describing more, it's unnecessary. Do FIXER wins.

When people praise this match, it's really the second half they're referring to: a nearly 10min uninterrupted sprint and if the moves they're doing aren't fresh to you anymore, you still have to appreciate the fact they went this long with no proper break in the action and left you wanting more. That's an achievement. Even the whackiest matches involving The Young Bucks or Lucha Bros have gaps where everyone's down for an applause break, but the crowd here don't get much time to do anything but react to the last move until something else crazy and innovative happens seconds later. If I had never seen this match and only read this review, I'd be wondering about if they even sold the moves. Well it was constantly one in, one out, so yeah I'd say each individual spent enough time on the floor inbetween their spots to give it a pass. Ideally, you should be mesmerised into not noticing that until it's already over. This match is like watching the nightclub shootout from John Wick for the first time, you're just blown away by how skillfully and quickly you're being bombarded by this action. There's nothing I can get into about story - it's not deep, just two teams from a foreign promotion with a unique style, and they both want to win and impress the Westerners. And there's nothing wrong with going for pure spectacle every once in a while if it's executed as well as this and you're showing people something brand new to them.
    Last edited by Marketh; 05-21-2020 at 05:26 AM.

[Run]

Status
      Country                    England

Agree with everything you said. As a spotty sprint, it's pretty bang on perfect.

It helps that the vast majority of pin attempts are broken up, not kicked out of. It allows the action to escalate but not have ridiculous kick outs either (not that anyone would have minded in this match).

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Main Eventer

Status

I showed my non wrestling friends this match and they all agreed...this was the craziest shit they have ever seen in wrestling and would watch more wrestling if it was more like this.

I love this match and i love the others from the years after as well. Im sure i wouldn't want to watch every match on a card like this but SCOH is easily one of the greatest ROH cards ever. The matches they had he night before were also amazing.

VINTAGE POSTER!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Postman Dave View Post
    Agree with everything you said. As a spotty sprint, it's pretty bang on perfect.

It helps that the vast majority of pin attempts are broken up, not kicked out of. It allows the action to escalate but not have ridiculous kick outs either (not that anyone would have minded in this match).
    Good point. No one would probably have minded, no, but I think that they didn’t do that goes a long way for making this remain a standout match compared to others attempting the same style. Although spotty, they’ve clearly not just disregarded logic and fundamentals.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread Information