Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: One Night Ultimate Werewolf

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

One Night Ultimate Werewolf

This isn't a signup thread or anything just yet. This is just a post outlining the basic rules of the game, roles involved and how it works online compared to playing in person. Before I go into explaining all of that though, I need to make a few things clear with regards to playing:

-This game requires active players. It's fast paced unlike mafia. It works a lot better when the game is extremely active and everyone contributes. I think a time limit of 24 hours might be a bit too long but I'm not sure. But yeah, the maximum a game can last is just a single day.

-This game does involve roles but every role is known to each player. Claiming is going to happen. It's like solving a jigsaw for each side. It is a complex game that hinges on the town side making the correct decision to win. There's little effort involved with roles and the mod does most of the work. I've come up with a way of people to keep track of roles. Role switching WILL happen and players WILL NOT know. This is the point of the game and why it's important everyone knows the roles involved. You are basically playing with the starting role given but it may have changed by end of night without you knowing. It's up to you to figure out if that happened or not.

-There's such little scope for personal beef or attacks in this game to be honest so I don't think there should be much flaming.

----

One Night Ultimate Werewolf

In this game, the town side is tasked with discovering who the werewolf is amongst them... but they only have a single silver bullet and little time to spare! Locked in a room together, they must decide who is the werewolf and thus who to kill. Each member must argue for their life as they surely do not want to die... but maybe some do? The town must be careful and make sure they don't miss. Not to mention... some may change sides.

Sounds straightforward right? Here's where it gets tricky. Every player in the game is assigned a role. This role has an action at the start of the game - depending on the player's choice. Once assigned a role and carrying out its action(s) during a night phase, the game begins on the one and only day phase. There are no powers in player - every role has now been used. Players will have 24 hours (or until they all declare they are ready to vote) to decide on who they want to kill. Or at least publicly appear to want to kill .After the voting period is over, a new night phase begins where each player will send a PM with the name of the kill target. The player with the most votes is killed. A tie results in all players being killed... with one bullet? Shit's crazy. The winning team depends on who gets killed. There are multiple teams and this will be explained with the roles and an example setup. There are also actions which resolve in a set order but I'll show how simple it is with an example as well.

Roles

Before each game, depending on players, roles may need to be cut The mod should also clearly outline every role and quantity in the game. Every player must know what's involved as it's the point of the game. I will outline the roles in a second but it's important to know that for any number of players, there are 3 extra roles unused. This is important to the game mechanics. These unused roles are still in play but do not have a day action. They serve as intel. Because if you know 100 percent a role isn't being used then someone who claims it is lying and so on. The unused roles are denoted by 1, 2 or 3 for game purposes. Not all of these roles need to be used but there are some set ups that require certain roles to be mandatory to work properly. I'm not going to try and explain specific gameplay examples of each role because I think people will gradually learn the game and their own playstyle with each role. It's so fast paced you learn in no time.

I have ordered the roles in which their action resolves - the doppelganger goes first and the action resolves then werewolves and so on.

Doppelganger

A fluid role and extremely complicated. The doppelganger sends in their night action first and selects any player. They then do the following depending on role selected:

If choosing the tanner, villager or hunter: The doppelganger does nothing.

If werewolf or mason: The doppelganger becomes one of them and will become aware of their new team's identites. The minion will be informed that of this player being a werewolf also.

If seer, robber, troublemaker or drunk: The doppelganger will do that role's action and it resolves immediately. Therefore if the doppelganger becomes a seer, they get to know two unused roles before the seer does - not at the same time.

If minion: The doppelganger becomes a minion but is not aware of any other minion's identity. They do, however, know the werewolves'.

If insomniac: The doppelganger is informed of their potentially new role by the end of the night phase.

Werewolf

Standard role. Werewolf side. If there is only one werewolf in play then they may obtain intel of an unused role by PMing a number of 1, 2 or 3. This gives them a potential route to try and deceive the village by knowing an unused role that they may not. Werewolves cannot communicate via PM but will know each other's identity if both are in play.

Minion

Werewolf sided role. The minion's objective is to get killed instead of the werewolf. The minion is aware of who the werewolves are but they don't know who the minion is. The werewolves win if the minion is killed (along with the minion). The minion will also win if both werewolf roles are unused and they are not killed.

Mason

Village role. There are two masons in the game and they are aware of each other's identity. They cannot communicate via PM. It's up to them if they want to help village win by revealing themselves. They win with Village.

Seer

Village role. The seer choose two numbers between 1-3 and is told the corresponding unused roles at that point in time. It is up to them if they wish the share that knowledge instantly or bide their time.

Robber

Village role. The robber selects a player and swaps roles with them. They will learn their new role but do not perform any more actions. If they become a seer, they simply are just now a seer without looking at the unused roles. The robber also has the choice NOT to do anything.

Troublemaker

Village role. The troublemaker selects two players (without finding out their role) and then swaps the players' roles with each other. Player A takes Role B from Player B and so on. Neither player finds out their new role. So with the troublemaker in the game, they likely need to claim to sort out any potential bullshit down the line. I must note that if Player A in the example above is a werewolf and Player B is not then they also swap teams without knowing.

Town Drunk

Village role. The drunk sends in a number between 1-3 and is given that role. They are not told what that role is. The only have the intel that they were the drunk and that they chose a specific number.

Insomniac

Village role. The Insomniac is last on the sequence, always. They are told their new role at the end of night. If they are still an Insomniac by end of night then they are told as such.

Hunter

Village role. If voted for death, the Hunter will also kill the person they voted for. This is regardless of how many other votes are on their chosen kill. They can still help village win by killing a werewolf.

Tanner

Independent role. Basically, the tanner wants to die. The tanner's objective is to be the one who is killed and they win. This role and the minion are both designed to play havoc.

Apprentice Tanner

Similar to the Minion - is aware of who the Tanner is but the Tanner has no idea. Wins when the Tanner dies (because he wants the Tanner's job). If the Tanner role is not in play then the Apprentice functions as the Tanner.

Villager Vanilla

Standard role. Village/Town side. No powers.

The Village need to kill a player who is in possession of the werewolf role by the end of night phase - not at the beginning. This is why it's important to keep track of things.

----

These are basic roles and make up the crux of the game really. There's a few more roles to be introduced but I think this is a fair amount of roles for a small game. It probably seems a little complicated from the above but, trust me, it's straightforward once you get into it.

Here's an example of a ten person set up with 13 roles:

Spoiler:

Players:

A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J

Roles:

Werewolf
    Werewolf

Minion
    Seer
    Tanner
    Troublemaker
    Robber
    Insomniac
    Doppelganger
    Hunter
    Mason
    Mason

Apprentice Tanner

Unused:

?
    ?
    ?

At the start of the game, the 10 players are assigned to one role only. There are 3 roles unused. So a game board for example would look like the above. Now the players in the game use the blank template above to try and piece things together. Whereas the mod would know each role placement so let's say this was it:

Players:

Roles:

Werewolf - A
    Werewolf - B
    Minion - C
    Seer - D
    Tanner - E
    Troublemaker - F
    Robber - G
    Insomniac - H
    Doppelganger - I
    Hunter - J

Unused:

Mason
    Mason

Apprentice Tanner

Now roles send in actions with the actions being resolved in the order of the roles I set out above:

Doppelganger -> Werewolves -> Minion -> Masons -> Seer -> Robber -> Troublemaker -> Drunk -> Insomniac

The role you send in the is the role you are given in your role PM.

So the Doppelganger goes first and let's say they target the Robber. They are allowed to then send in another PM and target another player and become their role with the target receiving the Doppelganger role in return. Let's say they target the Seer. The roles swap place. Think of it like cards (since this is a card game). Each player in the initial game board carries out the corresponding role action.The game board would now look like this:

Players:

Roles:

Werewolf - A
    Werewolf - B
    Minion - C
    Seer - I
    Tanner - E
    Troublemaker - F
    Robber - G
    Insomniac - H
    Doppelganger - D
    Hunter - J

Unused:

Mason
    Mason

Apprentice Tanner

Player I is now in possession of the Seer role but Player D does not know that. They will have still sent in the Seer's role PM however. Player G is still the Robber.

Step two is that the werewolves are now PMed each other's identity. The minion is also informed of their identity. Players A and B now know of each other.

The Masons are informed of each other's identity. In this example, they are currently unused but the players do not know this.

The Seer on the initial game board now sends in two numbers between 1-3 and gets their intel back. Let's say they choose 2 and 3. They are informed there is a Mason role and an Apprentice Tanner role currently unused. Therefore they know anyone claiming to start with these cards may be lying (definitely lying in the case of Apprentice Tanner).

The Robber then has their role resolved and swaps roles with someone. Let's say they choose Player A. Player A now becomes the Robber and Player G now becomes a Werewolf. Player A, Player B (The other Werewolf) and Player C (The Minion) are not made aware of this. Player G is as it was their role action.

So now the game board has changed to this:

Players:

Roles:

Werewolf - G
    Werewolf - B
    Minion - C
    Seer - I
    Tanner - E
    Troublemaker - F
    Robber - A
    Insomniac - H
    Doppelganger - D
    Hunter - J

Unused:

1 Mason
    2 Mason

3 Apprentice Tanner

The troublemaker (Player F) goes next and decides to swap players H and C. Player H now becomes the minion and Player C now becomes the Insomniac. Nobody involved in this role action is made aware of the outcome. Player F only knows that they switched C and H's roles.

Players:

Roles:

Werewolf - G
    Werewolf - B
    Minion - H
    Seer - I
    Tanner - E
    Troublemaker - F
    Robber - A
    Insomniac - C
    Doppelganger - D
    Hunter - J

Unused:

1 Mason
    2 Mason

3 Apprentice Tanner

Next the Drunk would go but he is not in this game. However he would either become a Mason or an Apprentice Tanner (potential objective change without him knowing) with knowing which. If there was a Drunk in this example game. The Drunk role would then become one of the 'Unused'.

Lastly, the player who was originally the Insomniac (Player H) is informed that they are now the Minion. They are not informed of who the werewolves are though. They are now werewolf aligned.

So as you can see from the last action, the final state of play board has changed things dramatically. If there was no night phase, Village would have to kill A or B. But because of the night phase, it's G or B. Player B knows they are a werewolf but G doesn't. This is the game board as the game begins and is what the players need to figure out given their starting positions.

After this point, day begins and discussion can start. It's up to players if they want to share their intel. People need to play their initial objective and then figure out if their roles got fucked with along the way. It's basically trying to reverse engineer the night phase whilst trying to figure out which roles are unused. The explanation may be a little difficult to grasp but it's easier to get when you play.

Basically, every role would PM their action to the mod (and receive intel back if specified by role) and then the day begins. There's no need to dance around and shitpost because people have information... you just don't know who's lying or who's telling the truth because things may have been fucked with.

After the time limit has expired, every player PM's their choice of kill to the mod with the result being posted after all votes are in. If Player J is killed, whoever they voted for will die also. The player killed is revealed as the role they had at the end of the night play phase. Therefore Player A would be revealed as the robber and not a werewolf.

These are the in conditions:

Village: The village team wins when a werewolf is killed.

Werewolves: The werewolves win if they avoid death. They also win if the Minion is killed and they avoid death.

Tanner: Wins if killed

Apprentice Tanner: Wins if Tanner killed. Becomes Tanner if no Tanner is in play and therefore must get themselves killed to win.

----

I feel like that's all bases covered. Basically, it's like mafia but with all roles involved in the game being known - just not who had which role and which role is unused. The players vote after a certain time limit and it's not a lynch vote. Nobody can sheep vote because every vote is private and is done when posting in the thread is over. Everybody gets to play start to finish and the intel's all there to be used. Just depends if you can trust you still have the same role and if you can trust anyone's not blowing smoke up your ass. The blank gameboard is used for players to keep track of claims and to try and figure things out. I've tried my best to make this seem friendly for people who are busy.

I think a ten player game using the roles above would be cool. If you're able to finish reading my TED Talk and would like to play. Post and signal your interest. I'd really like to try this out as I think, once we get the hang of running it, we can use this as an alternative to mafia burnout or busier people who want to spend less time playing but still having the same amount of fun, if not more, right Fuji?

Jon's familiar with this game so he can probably let me know if I didn't explain something right.

If there's no interest then I can poopoo this idea.

Interest/Signups:

Fuji Vice
    Sully
    OMB
    Sayer
    Wang
    Shawn
    Man
    SuperSaiyan
    Tig
    Zero
    Last edited by RainShaker; 03-19-2020 at 04:37 PM.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

Re: One Night Ultimate Werewolf

You are correct sir, and I’ll sign up if we play Thursday or Friday as I’m home both days full time.

Currently enjoying a plate of Pulpo Gallego via Tapastalk.

Ask Fuji|2020 Movie Log

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

Status
      Country                    United States

I'm in

Hail To The King

Status
      Country                    United States

Yes ill try

Spoiler:

CWA World Heavyweight Champion
    Brayden Bridges

The Mayor of Slamtown

Status

I'll give it a go. Hopefully it winds up on a day off.

Cult of Fuji

Status
      Country                    us=United States

This sounds fun but I am so busy until the weekend. If you need a player I will jump in

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

TEAM CYRUS

SHOW ME WHAT YOU GOT

Status

Sure

Don’t make me Chang this

Status
      Country                    UK

This seems fun, Shake, I’ll definitely give it a go. I’ll need to reread that post a million more times I’m sure but I managed to eventually get the hang on mafia so I’m sure I’ll be fine here too.

Status

Nice guys. I think once we get 10 we can all agree on a 24 hour period to play over. I can still send Roles out and receive actions before starting the game of course.

It's definitely a game you learn better by playing, Man. It's super fun though. Especially if you're a detective type who likes to piece things together.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung View Post
    This sounds fun but I am so busy until the weekend. If you need a player I will jump in

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
    I am thinking Saturday to Sunday or Sunday to Monday as the trial run. I want to start a game fast so people can see how it is played.

You're all brave people. May God have mercy on your souls.

I will PM roles out early so people have enough time to do their role action without any sort of activity monitoring. Once all night actions are in, the game can start.
    Last edited by RainShaker; 03-18-2020 at 03:14 PM.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Intercontinental Champion

Status
      Country                    Russian Federation

Yeah I'd definitely be up for this.

Huggin' and Kissin'

Status
      Country                    Ireland

I'll play shakeywakey

Status

Thank you brother.

I'll be locking players in tomorrow morning when I wake up. I will PM roles out and hopefully begin the game on Saturday/Sunday. If anyone thinks this won't suit them then please let me know.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    China

I'll give it a shot

Status

Alright, that's 10. We will play the game in this thread. I'm going to send roles out tonight to allow for night actions. I'll make an official game start post with a blank game board template.

ROLE PMs GOING OUT NOW. DON'T POST. WE ARE IN PRE-GAME PHASE SO NO DISCUSSION ABOUT THE GAME UNLESS IN THREAD. THE GAME WILL BEGIN AND YOU MAY POST WHEN I SAY THE DAY PHASE HAS BEGUN. THIS IS LIKELY GOING TO BE SATURDAY.

IF YOU ARE ASSIGNED A ROLE WITH A NIGHT ACTION, PLEASE PM ME BACK ASAP.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Status

Use this gameboard to keep track of claims and potential role swaps. The roles are listed in order of action resolution (the doppelganger resolves first etc.)

Players:

Fuji Vice, Sully, OMB, Sayer, Wang, Shawn, Man, SuperSaiyan, Tig, Zero

GAME BOARD:

Roles:

Doppelganger
    Werewolf
    Werewolf
    Minion
    Mason
    Mason
    Seer
    Troublemaker
    Robber
    Insomniac
    Tanner
    Hunter
    Apprentice Tanner

Unused:

1 ???
    2 ???
    3 ???

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Status

Here is a guide to the night action phase. Understand that when you perform your role action, you are performing it during a certain phase of the night. Below's chart will explain:

NOTE: THE STARTING ROLE YOU HAVE IS THE NIGHT ACTION YOU PERFORM BUT YOU MAY NOT BE IN POSSESSION OF THE ACTUAL ROLE DURING THE SPECIFIC PHASE OF NIGHT THAT ROLE ACTION RESOLVES. E.g. The Robber will perform their action during Phase 5 but there is no guarantee they are swapping the Robber role with someone. They are swapping their Phase 5 role.

Doppelganger (Phase 1)

Doppelganger targets a player and performs their role. This is the first phase of the night and there potentially can be role swaps as a result of the night action.

-> Werewolves & Masons (Phase 2)

Werewolves are informed of each other's identity. They are also informed of the doppelganger's identity if they have become a werewolf. The Masons are informed of each other's identity and the identity of any doppel-mason. It's not specified which is which to either team. There is no role swapping during this phase.

-> Minion & Apprentice Tanner (Phase 3)

The Minion is informed of the Werewolf identites. This includes the doppel-werewolf's identity also. The Apprentice Tanner is informed of the Tanner's identity along with the Doppel-Tanner if there is one. There is no potential for role switching during this phase.

-> Seer (Phase 4)

The Seer is informed of two unused roles at this point in the night phase. There is no role switching during this phase.

-> Robber (Phase 5)

The Robber swaps roles with another player and is informed of their new role. The targeted player is not. The Robber receives the player's role that they had at the end of Phase 4. Not their starting role.

-> Troublemaker (Phase 6)

The Troublemaker swaps two selected player's roles but does not learn their identities.The roles swapped are the player roles at the end of Phase 5. Not their starting role. Neither player is informed of the role switch.

-> Insomniac (Phase 7)

The Insomniac will be informed of their role as of Phase 7. This could either be their starting role or a completely different role - signifying a role switch. There is no role switching during this phase.

The Hunter and The Tanner do not have a specific night phase as they do not have any night actions.

---

Hopefully the above can help in understanding how the night actions can have a butterfly effect and so on. And hopefully it helps illustrate the idea that your role action and intel is only relevant to the phase specified. The Minion is informed of who the Werewolves are during Phase 3, for example. There's no guarantee they are still werewolves by Phase 7. It's up to them to figure out etc. Bare in mind some of these phases may not have happened if the roles aren't in play.

Last edited by RainShaker; 03-19-2020 at 06:36 PM.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Status

WC Village vs The Werewolves!

WC Village has been rocked by a series of grisly murders lately - all happening on a full moon. The village's population had whittled down their list of suspects to just ten people. These people: Fuji Vice, Sayer, Sully, Tig, Shawn, SuperSaiyan, Zero, Wang Chung, OMB and Man had been ordered be placed in a locked room together and to decide between themselves who they would nominate to execute as the werewolf. With just a single silver bullet created, the Village knows this is their only shot. The people involved in the scenario have just 24 hours until a full moon rises and the werewolf strikes again. All of their lives are on the line. They have to make the right choice - for themselves and for the village.

The problem the group face is trying to decipher if there is a werewolf amongst them and, if any, there are allies of said werewolf. The only thing they can do is question each other and hope that everyone tells the truth. But what about those with hidden intentions? The village Tanner may be present amongst the group and everyone knows he's depressed and wishes to die. The apprentice Tanner doesn't care about the werewolf - just about taking his boss' job. The Seer, Robber and Troublemaker will all have some information... but how can you trust what they're going to say? And what if multiple people claim to be a certain individual? It's going to get dicey. Couple all of this along with the fact that some people won't even believe themselves at times. Some might believe this is all a hoax and there are no werewolves...

The villagers involved in the scenario must all come together and figure out who the werewolf is. Or they're dinner.

-----

ALL NIGHT ACTIONS HAVE BEEN RESOLVED IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE ORDER AND ROLE DESCRIPTIONS ABOVE.

You were all PMed your starting roles with actions to be performed. This may have resulted in intel or not. It is up to you if you wish to claim your role and when you do so. Your role may have changed during the night phase without your knowledge.

This game will run for 24 hours or until a majority of players have said something to the effect of "READY TO VOTE" as a way to signal they no longer need to discuss anything to make up their mind. As soon as more than 5 people have done this, the game and posting in thread will stop. Otherwise, I will end the game when the time limit expires.

After posting in the thread has been stopped, you will PM me the name of the player you wish to nominate for death. You CANNOT change this vote. I will reveal the results in a game ending post along with the winning side.

I am available to PM if you have any questions needing answered.

---

Use the blank gameboard template above if you wish to keep track of claims and try to figure this thing out.

No aspect of this game should be getting discussed outside of this thread.

The time limit shall begin from the first player post.

You may now post.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Intercontinental Champion

Status
      Country                    Russian Federation

So I guess before we all start claiming, we should ask what we think is best for village, right? I think it's best if everyone comes clean about what they know and at what stage in the night phase cycle they knew that to be true, no? Seeing as we only have one day I don't know if there's any point holding anything back?

Status

The town has 24 hours as of the above post to make a decision.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information