Thread: Fight Night PROMO DISCUSSION THREAD 03/20/2020

Striving for a B+ in life

Status
      Country                    United States

Fight Night PROMO DISCUSSION THREAD 03/20/2020

Discuss promos for the Fight Night 03/20/2020 card here. No extensions available.

"The Golden One" Devin Golden

3x FWA World Heavyweight Champion
    2x FWA X Champion
    4x FWA Tag Team Champion
    Final record: 94-58-10

Shannon O'Neal
    2x FWA Women's Champion
    1x FWA World Champion

HOSS MOD

Status

Re: Fight Night PROMO DISCUSSION THREAD 03/20/2020

Might wanna double-check the days and dates on the promo thread. I don't think Saturday is the 23rd.

Chikara Trainee

Status

What on earth is the fascination with a Sunday morning deadline? Seriously. Just make it Monday so people have the Sunday to edit or do whatever cause I'm certainly not writing one in a day.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by TheProdigy View Post
    What on earth is the fascination with a Sunday morning deadline? Seriously. Just make it Monday so people have the Sunday to edit or do whatever cause I'm certainly not writing one in a day.
    Don't wait till the day of the deadline to do it?

I personally like the deadline for Sunday morning. Allows me to sleep in if I AM posting it at the deadline. Whereas I'd be staying up to 3am going into a Monday where I have to work if it was later.

But in reality, I could write it right now and get it down days ahead of time. I could write it for a half an hour each day leading up to the deadline. We have the ability to allocate our time however best fits.

I get it if the weekends are your only time to spend on something like this, but you do have today and tomorrow this weekend too.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus Truth View Post
    Might wanna double-check the days and dates on the promo thread. I don't think Saturday is the 23rd.
    Thanks. Corrected.

2x FWA X Champion
    4x FWA Tag Team Champion

Shannon O'Neal
    2x FWA Women's Champion
    1x FWA World Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by TheProdigy View Post
    A Sunday a.m. deadline allows you a weekend day to finish your work and the mods a weekend day to grade promos. It goes both ways. And you arent forced to wait until the last second.

2x FWA X Champion
    4x FWA Tag Team Champion

Shannon O'Neal
    2x FWA Women's Champion
    1x FWA World Champion

The Mayor of Slamtown

Status

Sadly, I won't be able to make promo deadline this week. I'm damn near pulling 80 hours my first week as a Assistant Store Manager in one of the busiest Wal-marts in the nation. Coronavirus plus an ASM and Store Manager being on vacay will do that.

It's perfectly fine with me as if I did somehow win, it would have seriously fucked with my current story.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Sayer View Post
    Sadly, I won't be able to make promo deadline this week. I'm damn near pulling 80 hours my first week as a Assistant Store Manager in one of the busiest Wal-marts in the nation. Coronavirus plus an ASM and Store Manager being on vacay will do that.

It's perfectly fine with me as if I did somehow win, it would have seriously fucked with my current story.
    NO! You were my favorite to win dammit.

Status

Everyone has a 24-hour extension in light of the coronavirus outbreak throughout the world. This is to help people who have been working extra this week. This is a one-off occurrence and please don't expect any extensions for future shows.

2x FWA X Champion
    4x FWA Tag Team Champion

Shannon O'Neal
    2x FWA Women's Champion
    1x FWA World Champion

The Mayor of Slamtown

Status

I just want to say that this EC match is the craziest thing I've seen happen in grading promos in my entire time here. Jimmy and TGO graded and after calling in a third man to break a tie we basically have a five way tie at the top, literally ANYONE can win this match right now. Calling in a fourth grader to HOPEFULLY clear things up.
    Last edited by Sayer; 03-28-2020 at 10:23 AM.

Intercontinental Champion

Status
      Country                    Russian Federation

Thought the quality of promos was great for the Elimination Chamber match. It wouldn't be surprising or disappointing regardless of who won. I'll refrain from doing proper feedback until after the results but really great reads all round.

Hail To The King

Status

I fully except not to win tbh

Spoiler:

CWA World Heavyweight Champion
    Brayden Bridges

The Flow

Status
      Country                    Canada

Just wanna apologize for not being able to get my promo in. I work for an essential service so I’ve been working like crazy and I haven’t had much time for anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only time WWE came close to a good story line post Attitude Era was Undertaker/Mordecai - Dakstang
    [06:01 PM]Dakstang
    :
    Yeah I guess you are right. And I only want to be Daddy to my own kids. Sorry.

Intercontinental Champion

Status
      Country                    Russian Federation

Just getting through some of the promos and thought I'd leave a bit of feedback.

Krash - I thought this was a great promo from beginning to end. With a character that has this much longevity I guess it's difficult to strike the balance between delving into all that and still keeping it reasonably accessible to new readers. I enjoyed the monologue section immensely, particularly the bits about leading the fans into a bright, new future. It echoed a lot of the points I made in my own promo but I thought it was great that they're saying essentially the same thing but have entirely opposite intentions. The missiles bit made me chuckle. The rest of the promo clearly would've meant more if I was familiar with the character's long history but it was still well-written and an enjoyable, intriguing read. I thought this was a really strong promo and will be difficult to beat. Curious to see where Krash and Black's reunion goes, also.

Alyster Black - I think the list idea was a great way of giving the character some focus and something to do in the early stretches of his run. I'll be watching Black's progress through his six names very closely! It was great how you made lots of links between Black and the rest of the roster (Cromwell, MvH, Krash, the X Division en masse) in this promo, as a lot of the time our rps can feel very self-contained. The character is becoming more interesting the more embedded within the roster he becomes. The Krash message at the end piqued my curiosity for those two eventually interacting. The X Division picture is heating up nicely...

The UA promo accomplished what it wanted to in a short amount of time. It was a good state of the nation address for the tag division, and got over their disdain for all of the other teams in the match up (and mostly their teammates, which was a nice touch). Although it ended just as it was getting going, I think it what was there was strong. The Elite promo was an interesting, different take on the match but, again, there wasn't enough to really get your teeth into. I liked the last line about being 'just teams competing over leather and gold' a lot. The Valendars' promo suffered from a lack of formatting and maybe some depth in the non-dialogue parts, which I think was probably down to your time constraints. The dialogue was solid and it was good that you're trying to give the brothers a bit of a storyline outside of the wrestling ring.

Gerald Grayson - Another enjoyable read from Grayson. I thought it was short and sharp, and although it didn't delve into Black or Grayson's place in the FWA as much as it could've, it was effective and interesting. I like that Grayson doesn't just stand next to an interviewer with a microphone and run down his opponents every week. Your musings on your opponent always comes in the form of conversations and that plays to your strengths because you're good at writing dialogue. The first person approach is interesting, too, and there doesn't seem to be too many others doing that now so it sets your style apart from the field. I enjoyed the hints at Gerald's past and tough times that he and his brother shared but again this could perhaps have been taken a bit further. I'd like to hear more about Grayson's overarching goals, if he has any, in future promos.

Nova Diamond - I thought this was an excellent promo and probably the best of yours that I've read (outside of your BiB rp). The opening in purgatory was very creative and although the idea has been done the way you did it felt fresh and engaging. Nova addressing the failures of Back in Business was brilliantly written and gave the impression that the character is acutely aware of the idea that his chance could have slipped away (and is fighting against that). This gives Diamond a lot of texture and I'm interested to see where you go with that. Initially I thought the overly confident monologue was maybe at odds with the purgatory Sullivan flashbacks, but the more I read the more I got the impression that Diamond is trying to convince himself as well as the audience. Really good stuff.

Thread Information