Page 1 of 67 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus

WC Hall Of Famer

Status
      Country                    United States

Coronavirus

To slightly move away from the Presidential election, what is everyone thinking about Coronavirus/COVID-19?

I think it's going to decimate the travel industry. A friend of mine runs the advertising account for one of the largest discount aggregator sites and he said they were told to pull down ALL advertising today. It's $1 mil+ per day in spend.

I know there are a few low cost airlines in Europe that were struggling to stay afloat. This will probably kill them off.

If longterm corporate travel stays depressed, this could really damper Hilton/Marriott hotels in tertiary cities.

One of the other side effects is with worker productivity. Due to China being shut down, there's quite a few concerns about supply chains across industries. Apple is going to have shortages of the iPhone. Construction companies are reporting steel shortages.

All About That Ace

Status
      Country                    Canada

Re: The Civil NA Politics Thread

At this point it probably deserves its own thread.

Yeah it's fucking up a lot of shit. I sympathize heavily with being Chinese outside of China right now. Chinese businesses are struggling immensely & Chinatowns aren't faring very well either. I've read reports of cruises outright rejecting people if they had Chinese passports even if they hadn't visited China anytime around the rise of the Coronovirus. And obviously, a lot of people are using it as an excuse to be racist as shit in public spaces, particularly in schools.

But beyond that, so many events are being canceled. NJPW canceled half a months worth of events. Japan has canceled school for the rest of the year nation wide. PAX east has had a shitton of companies cancel. It's going to be very interesting to see how drastically this will impact sporting events in the U.S. especially as we head into the playoffs both the NBA & the NHL.

Shit is really awful.

[Run]

Status
      Country                    England

Quote Originally Posted by Inogenius View Post
    One of the other side effects is with worker productivity. Due to China being shut down, there's quite a few concerns about supply chains across industries. Apple is going to have shortages of the iPhone. Construction companies are reporting steel shortages.
    I work for an industry that relies on China a lot for parts supply. They're starting to return to work now, but they definitely ain't at full capacity by any means. I'm just thankful I've heard from the contacts we have so I know they're okay, the four-week long radio silence was the worse part.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Main Eventer

Status

theres some weird stats about it as well.

children seem less likely to catch it.

and now a woman in China has caught it twice.

scary times but looking at it in perspective, the survival rate is really high.

Theres so much hysteria and like Vayne pointed out...racism
    ROH 2003 - end of 2008 = best years of wrestling ever

All About That Ace

Status

tbf, the hysteria isnt exactly unfounded

Admin in Lockdown

Status
      Country                    England

To slightly move away from the Presidential election, what is everyone thinking about Coronavirus/COVID-19?

I think it's going to decimate the travel industry. A friend of mine runs the advertising account for one of the largest discount aggregator sites and he said they were told to pull down ALL advertising today. It's $1 mil+ per day in spend.

I know there are a few low cost airlines in Europe that were struggling to stay afloat. This will probably kill them off.

If longterm corporate travel stays depressed, this could really damper Hilton/Marriott hotels in tertiary cities.

Probably warrants it's own thread as it's a global issue rather than being NA politics, but I get it's the easiest place to put it.

It was always optimistic to think this could be contained to China given how many people travel to and from China and given how easily the virus seems to be spreading. This was always going to be tougher than the Ebola outbreak 5 years ago to contain as fewer people travelled to those parts of Africa.

The UK is up to 15 confirmed cases now and I expect that's going to shoot up quite a bit in the next few weeks. We've been getting a couple of patients in a day that the doctors are saying might have it but they always test negative. I think the positive news for the UK is that of the 15 cases so far, 8 have already been discharged from hospital so what we're doing with the confirmed cases with the isolation units in Liverpool and London is working, but that's easier to deal with when it's just one or two cases per week you're getting and you've got time to check up on everyone they would of had contact with. If it suddenly spikes up then that's gonna put a big strain on things. The closer we can get to April when things ease up for the NHS, the weathers better and most members of the public aren't fighting common colds and flus, before this becomes a bigger issue in the UK, the better.

You're right to point out the wider implications to this virus than just people getting ill and some dying. China's economy slowing down is going to have a knock on effect soon, and I don't doubt this is gonna mess up the travel industry. Yesterday New Japan started cancelling their shows in March on the grounds of advice from the Japanese government and I imagine that's gonna end up being the case for all wrestling shows over there and maybe any sporting event. That got me thinking of what might happen on a bigger scale over in Japan if things don't settle down in a few months because Japan is hosting the Olympics this summer, obviously something that has a lot of money tied into it with tourism and sponsorships and what have you.

Maple Leaf Muscle

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Probably warrants it's own thread as it's a global issue rather than being NA politics, but I get it's the easiest place to put it.

It was always optimistic to think this could be contained to China given how many people travel to and from China and given how easily the virus seems to be spreading. This was always going to be tougher than the Ebola outbreak 5 years ago to contain as fewer people travelled to those parts of Africa.

The UK is up to 15 confirmed cases now and I expect that's going to shoot up quite a bit in the next few weeks. We've been getting a couple of patients in a day that the doctors are saying might have it but they always test negative. I think the positive news for the UK is that of the 15 cases so far, 8 have already been discharged from hospital so what we're doing with the confirmed cases with the isolation units in Liverpool and London is working, but that's easier to deal with when it's just one or two cases per week you're getting and you've got time to check up on everyone they would of had contact with. If it suddenly spikes up then that's gonna put a big strain on things. The closer we can get to April when things ease up for the NHS, the weathers better and most members of the public aren't fighting common colds and flus, before this becomes a bigger issue in the UK, the better.

You're right to point out the wider implications to this virus than just people getting ill and some dying. China's economy slowing down is going to have a knock on effect soon, and I don't doubt this is gonna mess up the travel industry. Yesterday New Japan started cancelling their shows in March on the grounds of advice from the Japanese government and I imagine that's gonna end up being the case for all wrestling shows over there and maybe any sporting event. That got me thinking of what might happen on a bigger scale over in Japan if things don't settle down in a few months because Japan is hosting the Olympics this summer, obviously something that has a lot of money tied into it with tourism and sponsorships and what have you.
    I've read that Japanese and IOC officials are giving it until May to see if it's contained and if not, the Olympics will likely be cancelled.

Fearless University

Status
      Country                    New Zealand

Re: Coronavirus

It can’t be said enough but the response to this virus is so poor, from the people in power that is. So far it’s basically been a perfect example of how not to contain a virus, the Worlds crooked politicians have done nothing but help it spread.We’re at the point where the Olympics might be cancelled now due to the spread of this virus. An early travel ban in and out of China seems so simple.
    Last edited by ETE; 02-27-2020 at 10:23 AM.

Main Eventer

Status

It was crazy when China ordered all bodies to be cremated about a month ago.

Right now theres human testing being done for vaccines

People's Champion

Status
      Country                    Wales

It is a pain however the disease has seemingly stabled in China now and is increase elsewhere....what doesn't help any figures is the "assumed" cases or those that are said to be Corona without full testing.

We will naturally see a knock on effect across industries due to this, and us in the UK may not feel that ripple for a while but it's coming (Some will probably blame brexit mind).

I do have some reservations about this virus but I'll keep my theories to myself haha.

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk
    I have a plan so cunning......

Main Eventer

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    It is a pain however the disease has seemingly stabled in China now and is increase elsewhere....what doesn't help any figures is the "assumed" cases or those that are said to be Corona without full testing.

We will naturally see a knock on effect across industries due to this, and us in the UK may not feel that ripple for a while but it's coming (Some will probably blame brexit mind).

I do have some reservations about this virus but I'll keep my theories to myself haha.

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk
    fuck that...spill the beans!!!!

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

So OK, I'm going total conspiracy theorist. Some viruses don't go away. With people already getting it twice - or at least testing positive for it twice, is it possible that coronavirus once obtained is something that sticks with you for life?

My conference in Germany was just cancelled as a result of this. Mobile World Congress was cancelled in Barcelona as well.

People's Champion

Status

Haha, I don't know but one of these new "viruses" one day will end up being man made and released accidentally...now i'm not saying this is one, but we do need to look at the figures in actual comparrison to similar diseases. This disease is a bit like flu isn't it? It's not the virus itself that is killing people, it's the fact that it's weakening immune systems and the seconday infection...more than likely pneumonia is hitting and that is what the killer is...or am I just totally off and i'm totally wrong haha.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Haha, I don't know but one of these new "viruses" one day will end up being man made and released accidentally...now i'm not saying this is one, but we do need to look at the figures in actual comparrison to similar diseases. This disease is a bit like flu isn't it? It's not the virus itself that is killing people, it's the fact that it's weakening immune systems and the seconday infection...more than likely pneumonia is hitting and that is what the killer is...or am I just totally off and i'm totally wrong haha.
    No this is correct. The inflammation in the lungs is causing the liver to shut down and most patients are dying of multiple organ failure.

But it is extremely odd no one under the age of 9 has died. Usually it's an inverted bell curve with the young and old dying.

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

So OK, I'm going total conspiracy theorist. Some viruses don't go away. With people already getting it twice - or at least testing positive for it twice, is it possible that coronavirus once obtained is something that sticks with you for life?

My conference in Germany was just cancelled as a result of this. Mobile World Congress was cancelled in Barcelona as well.
    Are people actively cured of it first before getting it again or what? It could be that. Or it could just be like other viruses that develop mutations rapidly such as HIV, Rhinovirus etc? Think how often you can get a cold etc. The problem is that the coronavirus is not fully researched enough yet to develop a vaccine. We don't know which parts of the virus' biological makeup should be isolated and used in this research for example I think right? It might just be a rapidly mutating virus or there are different strains of it around and therefore potentially multiple different sources? I don't know.

This shit is mad scary. I'm stunned there's been no confirmed cases here yet. I'm terrified that it's slipping through the net.

No this is correct. The inflammation in the lungs is causing the liver to shut down and most patients are dying of multiple organ failure.
    Not paid close attention to this but it's pretty much game over without a vaccination. The damage it could do, even if survived, seems nasty.

But it is extremely odd no one under the age of 9 has died. Usually it's an inverted bell curve with the young and old dying.

Interesting. I wonder if the changes in the body between adults and children is what is affecting this.

I am also near certain that a man-made virus would get fucked up by any naturally occurring one. I wonder if there's a big ass super virus meteor in space with our name on it one day.
    Last edited by RainShaker; 02-27-2020 at 03:05 PM.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

People's Champion

Status

Well researchers have the virus and the genetic makeup so are doing their thing so let's see what happens.

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Well researchers have the virus and the genetic makeup so are doing their thing so let's see what happens.
    I seen somewhere that they're looking at existing drugs and seeing how they fare. But the process behind finding a vaccine is so complicated. If the coronavirus rapidly mutates when interacting with something, for example, then vaccinating becomes difficult. Race is on dawg.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Main Eventer

Status

Quote Originally Posted by RainShaker View Post
    I seen somewhere that they're looking at existing drugs and seeing how they fare. But the process behind finding a vaccine is so complicated. If the coronavirus rapidly mutates when interacting with something, for example, then vaccinating becomes difficult. Race is on dawg.
    Japan had some luck using an HIV drug mixed with something else.

Its no even that kids are surviving it. So far they aren't even getting it at the rate adults are.

check this site

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Status

Quote Originally Posted by ETE View Post
    It can’t be said enough but the response to this virus is so poor, from the people in power that is. So far it’s basically been a perfect example of how not to contain a virus, the Worlds crooked politicians have done nothing but help it spread.We’re at the point where the Olympics might be cancelled now due to the spread of this virus. An early travel ban in and out of China seems so simple.
    Yes, it has.

But... its also somewhat understandable. A heavy and immediate response is ideal when its a legitimate threat, but there are also situations and alerts that turn into nothing. And going heavy when it turns out to be minor (MERS fits this, if memory serves) is a massively problem. Not just economically, but it erodes the people's confidence in the system to take alerts seriously next time. Its a tough situation.

Quote Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
    It was crazy when China ordered all bodies to be cremated about a month ago.

Right now theres human testing being done for vaccines
    yes... but how much are the dead going to tell you? They were unable to make antibodies in sufficient volume to fight it off virus. Much more important to study the antibodies of those who did fight it off. And keep dead bodies around brings further infection risk, potentially. So disposing of the bodies isn't necessarily something sinister. Don't get me wrong - I don't trust the Chinese government a lick and there is a lot they seem to have done wrong here. But I'm not SURE that's one of them.

Generally, I don't think the corona family of viruses work that way. The "double positive" thing has other possible explanations.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Cardcaptor

Status

In Hubei Province where COVID-19 first appeared and where it spread without anyone knowing it existed there is a population of 59,170,000 people. It is a fairly good model for an unchecked spread of the virus.

Of those, 65,187 have been diagnosed with COVID-19 and an unknown number had a case too mild to be noticed by medical authorities

That is one diagnosed case for every 908 people

The death toll has been 2,615.

That's one death for every 22,627 people in the province.

------------

In the US there are 53 diagnosed cases and 0 deaths

In Canada there are 10 diagnosed cases and 0 deaths

In Europe there are 379 diagnosed cases and 12 deaths

Worldwide outside of China there are 929 cases and 44 deaths.

Just for perspective.
    Everything will surely be alright.

Page 1 of 67 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread Information