Page 73 of 78 FirstFirst ... 23637172737475 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,460 of 1555

Thread: Coronavirus

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Re: Coronavirus

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    NHS would be in a better position that's for sure haha....but hindsight and all that jazz.
    I think it's important to remember that the NHS would still be struggling no matter who was in charge. The time between the GE and Covid battering us was about four months, which wouldn't be a lot of time to invest in the NHS after over a decade of cutting funds. I think the NHS still would have struggled in that regard. And that is still 100% on the Tories, regardless of who was in power.

Now whether the Labour strategy would have been better and led to less people getting hospitalised and dying, that's another question.

The 100 Greatest WCW Matches - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

[Run]

Status
      Country                    England

What do you good folks think of people still trying to holiday abroad this year?

I empathise and get why they want to, but it still seems crazy to that people think that absolute nothing will go wrong when booking. I mentally gave up the idea of travelling abroad this year months ago.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

People's Champion

Status
      Country                    Wales

I think it's crazy but then that's just my opinion and people will continue to do what they want to do.

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk
    I have a plan so cunning......

#ShadeWinsLOL

Le Champion

Status

It's not only stupid to think nothings going to go wrong as far as cancellations, quarantines etc but I think it's completely irresponsible to be planning on going abroad just now in the first place. I don't think people should be thinking of travelling until this is firmly under control.

My work, and by work I mean our regional manager, has now told us to let customers in with or without face coverings even if they don't have an exemption, we're to just ask if they have one if they say no to just let them in. Easy for him to say, he's not the one working in the shop every day.

[Run]

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Baldwin View Post
    It's not only stupid to think nothings going to go wrong as far as cancellations, quarantines etc but I think it's completely irresponsible to be planning on going abroad just now in the first place. I don't think people should be thinking of travelling until this is firmly under control.

My work, and by work I mean our regional manager, has now told us to let customers in with or without face coverings even if they don't have an exemption, we're to just ask if they have one if they say no to just let them in. Easy for him to say, he's not the one working in the shop every day.
    I get frustrated when I see island countries like New Zealand who have enough confidence in thier economy to completely shut down their borders and deal with this better than most. We have that ability to stop people coming and out too, just not the confidence in our own economy or the strong leadership required.

I feel for all retail workers on the mask situation. Most in retail are part-time/students who make just above minimum wage, yet they're expected to police people. It's absurd.

Sunny

Status
      Country                    UK

Quote Originally Posted by Baldwin View Post

This is interesting, as I'm pretty sure I heard someone saying that some places are going to start refusing people in unless they are wearing a face covering. It may have only been in the higher risk areas, though. It was on the radio so I wasn't listening properly.

Admin in Lockdown

Status

The idea of going abroad doesn't interest me in the slightest atm, but I'm not sure I'd call it totally irresponsible if people decide they want to go, especially at a time when things have opened up again in England. They know what the risks are, and they know their responsibilities as far as quarantines from certain countries, so as long as they stick to that, what's the harm?

It's been five months since we went into lockdown, and we're not many months away from when it's normal for people to pick up colds and flus which is going to complicate everything and be the result of a lot of panic and closure of schools and pubs etc for ?COVID symptoms for people who don't have COVID. What does 'firmly under control' mean? because until a vaccine is proven and readily available, I can't see how an island of 66.6 million is ever gonna get to the point where they have 0 COVID cases. And even then, New Zealand have been praised by Dave for being better at keeping it under control, 102 days with community transmission in the country, but then they get a 20 or so cases, and Auckland is in lockdown again for 2 weeks, so when does it end?

The second wave that has been predicted for the last 3 months every time a picture of crowding on a beach or a protest happened. or the rolling out of pubs, restaurants, gyms, shops, cinemas etc opening back up, hasn't happened. What has happened is we're going into another recession, unemployment has increased and we've got a year of 17/18 year olds that have been fucked over because they didn't get to sit their exams this year - I can't say I'm entirely eager to have the next academic year also be disjointed for all school years. I think the UK has crossed over now to a point where the after effects of the pandemic are now the concern, not the virus itself. I don't think the country has to wait an extra unknown amount of months waiting for a vaccine before you move us closer to what it was at the start of the year, and I'd extend that to people going on holidays to keep the travel industry afloat and increase their mental wellbeing.

People's Champion

Status
      Country                    Wales

Somehow unemployment in Wales has dropped haha.

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk
    I have a plan so cunning......

#ShadeWinsLOL

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    The idea of going abroad doesn't interest me in the slightest atm, but I'm not sure I'd call it totally irresponsible if people decide they want to go, especially at a time when things have opened up again in England. They know what the risks are, and they know their responsibilities as far as quarantines from certain countries, so as long as they stick to that, what's the harm?
    I agree. I'm actually kind of getting tired of this type of hyperbole. If you're not cool with traveling, that's perfectly alright. If others want to, there's absolutely no reason to shame them like this. If I were to travel at the moment, I'd also still be required to abide by Canada's 14 day self quarantine policy upon re-entry to the country. Would that not inherently be me acting responsibly? Or would I still be irresponsible for having traveled in the first place? A lot of people really need to take a good hard look at themselves if they fall into the camp that would feel the latter.

And even then, New Zealand have been praised by Dave for being better at keeping it under control, 102 days with community transmission in the country, but then they get a 20 or so cases, and Auckland is in lockdown again for 2 weeks, so when does it end?
    At this point, as Silk said the other day, they've forced themselves into a position where they're playing a zero sum game. Overreaction is going to be the norm there for some time, particularly now that they're faced with the cold reality that hiding away from this virus didn't actually guarantee them the protection they so desired. I'd be more concerned about these reports coming out of there that anyone who tests positive are being sent to controlled quarantine camps, along with anyone that has been in contact with them. Does this sound like the action that rational people should be taking?

Ask Fuji|2020 Movie Log

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

Main Eventer

Status

I hope you guys don't get attacked for your thoughts.

I agree with both of you. traveling isn't a huge deal if you quarantine. I dont travel anyway.

I'm more concerned with schools getting postponed again but it looks like the kids are going back.
    The Ultimate Contrarian!!!!!!!!!!!

[Run]

Status

Don't get a me wrong, I get why people want to go abroad. Some have certainly had a rougher year than others and need the break. But the realist in me just feels like people shouldn't get pissy about holidays being cancelled/having to return early to avoid quarantine when the situation isn't wholly unexpected. They know the risks they're taking.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Postman Dave View Post
    Don't get a me wrong, I get why people want to go abroad. Some have certainly had a rougher year than others and need the break. But the realist in me just feels like people shouldn't get pissy about holidays being cancelled/having to return early to avoid quarantine when the situation isn't wholly unexpected. They know the risks they're taking.

In this regard, I agree. You make your own bed in this situation, so you’ll get no sympathy from me if your best laid plans blow up in your face. However, this isn’t the same as outright getting pissed at people for making the plans in the first place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ask Fuji|2020 Movie Log

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

Status
      Country                    United States

Travel is one of the facets of normal life that I think we can get back to as long as we do it safely. I have a friend who a month ago flew cross country to spend time with his folks, and he self-quarantined both before and after it. Obviously a risk was run, but it's unreasonable to expect the whole populace to live in shackles and all the prevention efforts we take are simply to try and prevent outbreak.

You run the risk when you travel, or when you go out to the grocery store, or when you smoke and drink with your friends, we all accept that. The important thing is to be safe when doing those things and do what you can to mitigate risk and prevent outbreak. Not to mention it is important we keep some kind of revenue flowing through travel companies so there's still transit left when this is all over.

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread | Silk's Degrassi Recaps
    Pathetically Recapping Wrestling's Most Famous Garbage
    WC Rumble Winner 2017, Comic and Game Dork, Mafia Overlord, #Iconic Hall of Famer

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

[footnote: Is now the longest reigning WWE Champion in Smackdown history]

#BlackLivesMatter

WC Hall Of Famer

Status
      Country                    United States

I'm one of the Pfizer test vaccine lab rats. I was supposed to get it last Tuesday but their supplies hadn't arrived yet, so they're supposed to setup a new time next week.

I'm actually surprised there hasn't been a massive 2nd wave in Europe yet. I know Romania is getting hit with an increase in cases, but they're doing a nice job in England to keep things under control.

I'm real afraid for this school year. I'm also real afraid of the mental health of a lot of people. This has been a stressful time. I took the day off last Friday and some friends and I went out to a cabin. Man did I need that...

VINTAGE POSTER!

Status

We may have had an increase in cases lately, and that's why I'm holding off on going back to the pub, but Scotland have reached 0 deaths in 30 days. So feeling optimistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Diksting
    You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

Curtain Jerker

Status

Yea i dont think that they should have opened the pubs its not a necessary service , you can buy drink and take it home they should have opened the schools first .
    its so stupid that people are going to illegal raves 3 in England unsure if there was any in Scotland but many of them go on without being on the news

Aberdeen football players got covid because they were reckless and went to the pub they have put people in danger of getting covid

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

I've noticed people seem to pick and choose what is acceptable to do based on what they want to do. If it was something they are interested in it's ok and not a high risk but if it's something they wouldn't do anyway it's dumb for people to be out doing it

Also, people seem to think you can only contact it from strangers and you are immune from friends and family. Said that's not the case.

WC without Duke is like McDonalds without the Big Mac. - DD

Main Eventer

Status

Quote Originally Posted by indyfan2 View Post
    I've noticed people seem to pick and choose what is acceptable to do based on what they want to do. If it was something they are interested in it's ok and not a high risk but if it's something they wouldn't do anyway it's dumb for people to be out doing it

Also, people seem to think you can only contact it from strangers and you are immune from friends and family. Said that's not the case.
    The only thing that is really unacceptable is visiting with high risk people and hanging out in groups indoors without a mask

Cardcaptor

Status

Quote Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
    The only thing that is really unacceptable is visiting with high risk people and hanging out in groups indoors without a mask
    Not visiting high risk people alone is not going to do much, though. Because that cuts down their risk of death, but does little to slow community spread.

Large groups, groups indoors as you mentioned, and the like is a big part of it. Outdoors, obviously less risk. But we have to figure just what we are talking about. Sitting in stands at a sporting event? That's still outdoors (sometimes), but high risk. There are plenty of other high risk activities.
    Everything will surely be alright.

Main Eventer

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Sakura View Post
    Not visiting high risk people alone is not going to do much, though. Because that cuts down their risk of death, but does little to slow community spread.

Large groups, groups indoors as you mentioned, and the like is a big part of it. Outdoors, obviously less risk. But we have to figure just what we are talking about. Sitting in stands at a sporting event? That's still outdoors (sometimes), but high risk. There are plenty of other high risk activities.
    They say the risk outdoors, especially in high heat, doesn't allow the spread to work as well as indoors or in winter. High risk people end up in the hospital and on ventilators at a higher rate than young or healthy people. Most people, if you factor in the asymptomatic, hardly even get sick or have no symptoms. The death rate and high risk people ties into the hospitals overflowing.

Also, if everyone is wearing a mask at a sporting event, it cuts down the spread tremendously.

My kid is playing baseball in little league right now. They provided them with sanitizer, and they have to be 6 feet along then fence during at bats. Its annoying im sure but it works.

I find people obsess over case numbers. Look at the recovery rates instead. Its a more positive outlook. Thats what I try to do.

also I'm not advocating...try and spread it but be cautious. From a guy who's been working the whole time, that's what I did.

If we don't get a vaccine or if the vaccine hardly works or has bad side effects, we will have to learn to live with getting covid eventually.
    Last edited by indyfan; 08-16-2020 at 08:16 PM.

Page 73 of 78 FirstFirst ... 23637172737475 ... LastLast

Thread Information