Page 3 of 67 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 1325

Thread: Coronavirus

  1. #41
    People's Champion
    Baldrick's Avatar

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    5,241
    Rep Power
    813137
      Country                    Wales

    Re: Coronavirus

    Make your own gel? Something you've done?

    Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk
    I have a plan so cunning......

  2. #42
    All About That Ace

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Hollywoo
    Posts
    15,330
    Rep Power
    1872859
      Country                    Canada

    Re: Coronavirus

    Quote Originally Posted by CGS View Post
    Pretty much this. Once you get over the hysteria and realise that the mortality rates of this are less than the Flu, it’s easy to not worry about it. They’ve done really well to blow the whole thing out of proportion.
    Quote Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
    people need to also look at the recovery rate.

    theres about 94000 cases. 3200 died( mostly old people, many with pre existing conditions) 51000 people have recovered.

    As Baldrick said, the media is going crazy over this and people are overly freaking out. that doesnt mean...dont use caution
    hey man. shit doesnt need to directly effect you for you not to be bothered please worry about it. the most vulnerable are at risk, just because youre not doesnt mean its not a big issue.

    seeing way too many people be dismissive about it because it probably wont effect them. were all humans, come on xD could be a parent, or a friend with a bad immune system.

  3. #43
    WC Hall Of Famer

    Inogenius's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cleveland/London
    Posts
    6,084
    Rep Power
    168812
      Country                    United States

    Re: Coronavirus

    A few years ago I got the Aussie Flu - H3N2. Coronavirus coming up made me Google about the mortality rate of H3N2.

    I didn't find the mortality rate, but who knew there was an H3N2 pandemic? https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-res...-pandemic.html

    Just knowing that these things happen more frequently than every 102 years made me ... well made me a lot less worried.

  4. #44
    Le Champion
    Baldwin's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    3,644
    Rep Power
    338370
      Country                    Scotland

    Re: Coronavirus

    I've been wearing gloves at my work and my boss thought I was causing a panic because of it. Super sorry for trying to be a touch careful and it wasn't that when they were panicking over hand sanitizer and thought we had none but I'd ordered 40 bottles of the stuff months ago and it was left in storage because 'we'd never need it'

    It's a concern, if I do get it sure I'll probably be fine and just feel like shit for a while but I've got a baby due next week who could catch it, my grandparents are in their 70's, 80's and 90's and if they catch it it could potentially kill them. The media maybe has blown it up more than it needs to be but if that's what it takes to raise awareness then so fucking be it.



  5. #45
    The Only 2x WC HOF
    Shock's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    23,584
    Rep Power
    3032708
      Country                    Scotland

    Re: Coronavirus

    Just because it isn't an apocalyptic virus doesn't mean that people shouldn't take precautions. Why risk getting others and yourself sick (or worse) when it takes 10 seconds out of your day to be healthy.

    The more people are aware the better.







    The 100 Greatest WCW Matches - Coming Soon


    The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon



    The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed



  6. #46
    RainShaker's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Korakuen Hall Safe Standing Section
    Posts
    20,696
    Rep Power
    1971697
      Country                    Jamaica

    Re: Coronavirus

    Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Make your own gel? Something you've done?

    Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk
    I can't tell if you're making a dirty joke or not

    I've done it before, yes, because I'm quite fascinated with stuff like this as a result of being a chemist. Especially because hand sanitizers are relatively easy to make and can be varied in terms of composition and strength to suit whoever needs it. eg someone with a skin condition requires a different gel to someone without incase of irritants etc.

    Look it up, you'll probably find some decent stuff to use. You're essentially just making an alcohol gel that should be in the 60% alcohol range (going higher could damage your skin).

    I wear PPE in work so I'm fine. It's the public transport I'm worried about. Glasgow's buses are hardly in a good state already.


    Also, I'm worried because the full facts surrounding Corona aren't known yet. What if it rapidly mutates and becomes more effective against immune systems etc? The more it spreads, the higher chance of mutation occurring right?
    Last edited by RainShaker; 03-04-2020 at 04:08 PM.


    ~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:






  7. #47
    People's Champion
    Baldrick's Avatar

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    5,241
    Rep Power
    813137
      Country                    Wales

    Re: Coronavirus

    Quote Originally Posted by RainShaker View Post
    I can't tell if you're making a dirty joke or not

    I've done it before, yes, because I'm quite fascinated with stuff like this as a result of being a chemist. Especially because hand sanitizers are relatively easy to make and can be varied in terms of composition and strength to suit whoever needs it. eg someone with a skin condition requires a different gel to someone without incase of irritants etc.

    Look it up, you'll probably find some decent stuff to use. You're essentially just making an alcohol gel that should be in the 60% alcohol range (going higher could damage your skin).

    I wear PPE in work so I'm fine. It's the public transport I'm worried about. Glasgow's buses are hardly in a good state already.
    Just did that to be honest, got some spare vodka in the cabinet so could do the vodka/aloe vera type mix to manage haha. I'm usually quite practical just never thought of looking to make my own version of such a thing that is pretty cheap to buy....normally.
    I have a plan so cunning......

  8. #48
    Main Eventer
    indyfan's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    8,283
    Rep Power
    857853

    Re: Coronavirus

    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Chavez View Post
    hey man. shit doesnt need to directly effect you for you not to be bothered please worry about it. the most vulnerable are at risk, just because youre not doesnt mean its not a big issue.

    seeing way too many people be dismissive about it because it probably wont effect them. were all humans, come on xD could be a parent, or a friend with a bad immune system.
    My mother has asthma and shes in her late 70s. My kids are in daycare and school, my fiancee works at a hospital. Im not trying to say its no big deal but i think people are overly worried about it. I even said that doesnt mean dont be cautious .

    Tuberculosis killed 1.6 million people in 2017. They say there are about 10 million cases across the world.

    https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-s...l/tuberculosis

    Are you worried about it like coronavirus?

    im not saying go cough on everyone and go lick the subway holding poles .

    Please dont paint me as being a non caring person here. but the hysteria is getting crazy. just look at the first website i posted on the first page of this thread ..it gives you all the rates and everything


    Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    Just because it isn't an apocalyptic virus doesn't mean that people shouldn't take precautions. Why risk getting others and yourself sick (or worse) when it takes 10 seconds out of your day to be healthy.

    The more people are aware the better.
    i agree. i wash my hands and cough/sneeze into my elbow.

    but dont dismiss the hysteria. Companies are price gouging and people are becoming xenophobes over this
    Last edited by indyfan; 03-04-2020 at 04:21 PM.
    ROH 2003 - end of 2008 = best years of wrestling ever

  9. #49
    RainShaker's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Korakuen Hall Safe Standing Section
    Posts
    20,696
    Rep Power
    1971697
      Country                    Jamaica

    Re: Coronavirus

    Quote Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
    My mother has asthma and shes in her late 70s. Im not trying to say its no big deal but i think people are overly worried about it. I even said that doesnt mean dont be cautious .

    Tuberculosis killed 1.6 million people in 2017. They say there are about 10 million cases across the world.

    https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-s...l/tuberculosis

    Are you worried about it like coronavirus?

    im not saying go cough on everyone and go lick the subway holding poles .

    Please dont paint me as being a non caring person here. but the hysteria is getting crazy

    It's fine to think hysteria is crazy and all but this is a weak argument. Tuberculosis does kill a lot of people and is an issue but it's a known entity. There are significant treatment options in place for people diagnosed with it. There are drugs that are known to effectively combat the disease along with vaccines on the market. It still does get the most vulnerable people and that is obviously something to consider but it's not enough reason to put it on the same platform as what's happening right now.

    Coronavirus is the opposite. People are recovering but the virus isn't being eradicated from everyone and it's still spreading. Tuberculosis isn't spreading everywhere at the world in the moment and, if it did, there's treatment plans with high percentages of success. A doctor would feel more confident treating someone with TB compared to someone with corona I imagine. However, if there was a sudden global pandemic over TB then I would actually be worried because it'd mean something's changed if it's spreading rapidly. The situations aren't directly comparable.

    To me, the hysteria isn't over the lethality of the Coronavirus but moreso over it rapidly spreading everywhere and there not being enough information out there about it yet.

    The good thing about this currently is making people much more aware of this stuff. I do think as global warming/climate change takes effect, we might end up potentially dealing with more of this nasty kind of stuff.


    ~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:






  10. #50
    Main Eventer
    indyfan's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    8,283
    Rep Power
    857853

    Re: Coronavirus

    Quote Originally Posted by RainShaker View Post
    It's fine to think hysteria is crazy and all but this is a weak argument. Tuberculosis does kill a lot of people and is an issue but it's a known entity. There are significant treatment options in place for people diagnosed with it. There are drugs that are known to effectively combat the disease along with vaccines on the market. It still does get the most vulnerable people and that is obviously something to consider but it's not enough reason to put it on the same platform as what's happening right now.

    Coronavirus is the opposite. People are recovering but the virus isn't being eradicated from everyone and it's still spreading. Tuberculosis isn't spreading everywhere at the world in the moment and, if it did, there's treatment plans with high percentages of success. A doctor would feel more confident treating someone with TB compared to someone with corona I imagine. However, if there was a sudden global pandemic over TB then I would actually be worried because it'd mean something's changed if it's spreading rapidly. The situations aren't directly comparable.

    To me, the hysteria isn't over the lethality of the Coronavirus but moreso over it rapidly spreading everywhere and there not being enough information out there about it yet.

    The good thing about this currently is making people much more aware of this stuff. I do think as global warming/climate change takes effect, we might end up potentially dealing with more of this nasty kind of stuff.
    i was referring to lethality of it. As for combatting it. they are already using drugs to help combat the coronavirus. And have seen good results.

    All i was saying was dont just focus on how many have died. you should also focus on how many have recovered. And its a lot
    Last edited by indyfan; 03-04-2020 at 04:43 PM.
    ROH 2003 - end of 2008 = best years of wrestling ever

  11. #51
    Fearless University
    ETE's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    7,404
    Rep Power
    571132
      Country                    New Zealand

    Re: Coronavirus

    Not saying its not something that shouldn't raise concern, but the media has definitely blown this out of proportion and created mass panic. I mean most stores in Australia are being cleaned out of toilet paper every day because people are freaking out and stockpiling it. There's even cases of fights breaking out in supermarkets over the last rolls of toilet paper.

    Its dangerous no doubt, but its not like its the black plague. Some of the hysteria over this is a bit much and causing panic.

    Also how pissed must the makers of Corona be? The beer was founded long before Corona virus strands were first discovered in the 50's, and now apparently they've seen a big down turn in sales and many Americans (of course) wont drink it now.




  12. #52
    All About That Ace

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Hollywoo
    Posts
    15,330
    Rep Power
    1872859
      Country                    Canada

    Re: Coronavirus

    Im not going to defend le media but I think a lot of it is also down to people just being idiots. We all absorb the media and none of us are buying out entire shelves of toilet paper and sanitizer and face masks. You could venture to say "sure but were on the internet so were more aware of how much of it is nonsense". But I imagine most of your friends & family & coworkers arent being that level of stupid either. Maybe Im just optimistic of course, and I am in Ottawa where while we're testing we dont have any case yet - but everyone here is talking about it but no one is going over the top and being dumb about it to the point of mass hysteria.

    Look, if people now know how to do basic human things like washing your hands & covering yourself when you sneeze/cough, maybe the media is doing a decent job

  13. #53
    Main Eventer
    indyfan's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    8,283
    Rep Power
    857853

    Re: Coronavirus

    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Chavez View Post
    Im not going to defend le media but I think a lot of it is also down to people just being idiots. We all absorb the media and none of us are buying out entire shelves of toilet paper and sanitizer and face masks. You could venture to say "sure but were on the internet so were more aware of how much of it is nonsense". But I imagine most of your friends & family & coworkers arent being that level of stupid either. Maybe Im just optimistic of course, and I am in Ottawa where while we're testing we dont have any case yet - but everyone here is talking about it but no one is going over the top and being dumb about it to the point of mass hysteria.

    Look, if people now know how to do basic human things like washing your hands & covering yourself when you sneeze/cough, maybe the media is doing a decent job
    Sure maybe people we know are t but this whole thing has caused price gouging on masks andsnatizer and shelves are empty.

    Its also caused high levels of xenophobia. The China Town in Montreal isnt doing that well right now.
    ROH 2003 - end of 2008 = best years of wrestling ever

  14. #54
    All About That Ace

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Hollywoo
    Posts
    15,330
    Rep Power
    1872859
      Country                    Canada

    Re: Coronavirus

    Quote Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
    Sure maybe people we know are t but this whole thing has caused price gouging on masks andsnatizer and shelves are empty.

    Its also caused high levels of xenophobia. The China Town in Montreal isnt doing that well right now.
    Has it caused high levels of xenophobia or was that always there, lying underneath?

    Undoubtedly China Towns worldwide are suffering, and Chinese small businesses, especially restaurants are struggling. And thats trash. But it goes back to the human element. I think a lot of people are just assholes :/ Did the media make you xenophobic? Anecdotal I know. But how many times a year do we get those "WOMAN YELLS AT CHINESE EMPLOYEE TO SPEAK PROPER ENGLISH" videos. Its just an excuse for people at times.

    The reason I think its not necessarily just down to the media as opposed to people is that the actions people are taking in response just dont make sense. Plenty have explained that sanitizers & masks arent the way to go. The media itself is stating it. People are still doing it.

    Anyways, not discounting the struggles of Chinese businesses atm but so many businesses are suffering. A lot of indy game devs got fucked over by GDC getting canceled, E3 is basically dead because everyone is going to realize how useless it is when it gets canceled. Schools are getting shut down. Wrestling events in front of empty audiences. Theme parks closing. Airlines shutting down.

    I dont want to minimize the role of the media but I want to maximize how much of it is just people being dumb and overrexagerating in their reactions.

    There are very easy and proper ways to minimize the spread and i think the empty sanitizer shelves vs. full soap shelves shows people just dont care.

    All in all it sucks Hopefully everyone starts doing better and treating the situation more adequately.

    ---

    On a sidenote. Ottawa is sending paramedics to people's houses for tests to avoid spreading anything at hospitals. Still no confirmed cases here though.

  15. #55
    Main Eventer
    indyfan's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    8,283
    Rep Power
    857853

    Re: Coronavirus

    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Chavez View Post
    Has it caused high levels of xenophobia or was that always there, lying underneath?

    Undoubtedly China Towns worldwide are suffering, and Chinese small businesses, especially restaurants are struggling. And thats trash. But it goes back to the human element. I think a lot of people are just assholes :/ Did the media make you xenophobic? Anecdotal I know. But how many times a year do we get those "WOMAN YELLS AT CHINESE EMPLOYEE TO SPEAK PROPER ENGLISH" videos. Its just an excuse for people at times.

    The reason I think its not necessarily just down to the media as opposed to people is that the actions people are taking in response just dont make sense. Plenty have explained that sanitizers & masks arent the way to go. The media itself is stating it. People are still doing it.

    Anyways, not discounting the struggles of Chinese businesses atm but so many businesses are suffering. A lot of indy game devs got fucked over by GDC getting canceled, E3 is basically dead because everyone is going to realize how useless it is when it gets canceled. Schools are getting shut down. Wrestling events in front of empty audiences. Theme parks closing. Airlines shutting down.

    I dont want to minimize the role of the media but I want to maximize how much of it is just people being dumb and overrexagerating in their reactions.

    There are very easy and proper ways to minimize the spread and i think the empty sanitizer shelves vs. full soap shelves shows people just dont care.

    All in all it sucks Hopefully everyone starts doing better and treating the situation more adequately.

    ---

    On a sidenote. Ottawa is sending paramedics to people's houses for tests to avoid spreading anything at hospitals. Still no confirmed cases here though.
    its been documented..xenophobia towards asians has gone up. Whether it was there before coronavirus or not isnt the point. if the coronavirus brought it out or changed peoples views on Asians..the end result is the same.

    Corona, the beer company has been sufferring because of this. crazy..i know

    The media delivers the information but yeah its what people do with it that ultimately matters.

    Im not sure how old you were during SARS but this feels exactly the same. The media went crazy over it.
    Last edited by indyfan; 03-05-2020 at 10:27 AM.
    ROH 2003 - end of 2008 = best years of wrestling ever

  16. #56
    All About That Ace

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Hollywoo
    Posts
    15,330
    Rep Power
    1872859
      Country                    Canada

    Re: Coronavirus

    Quote Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
    its been documented..xenophobia towards asians has gone up. Whether it was there before coronavirus or not isnt the point. if the coronavirus brought it out or changed peoples views on Asians..the end result is the same.

    Corona, the beer company has been sufferring because of this. crazy..i know

    The media delivers the information but yeah its what people do with it that ultimately matters.

    Im not sure how old you were during SARS but this feels exactly the same. The media went crazy over it.
    I do think that is the point. If anything can stoke underlying xenophobia then the issue is we need to fix that in the first place. No amount of media consumption would turn me into a xenophobe, and preferably you neither.

    I was 7-9 years old and lived in Scarborough which, iirc, was hit the worst outside of Asia I have distinct memories of going to the hospital where it spread too and getting heavily encouraged to sanitize my hands haha.

  17. #57
    Main Eventer
    indyfan's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    8,283
    Rep Power
    857853

    Re: Coronavirus

    A question thats going to need addressing is if people are asked to stay home...should the goverment pay their time off. I only have 2 paid sick days a year. Ive already used them. my insurance wont cover it and atleast from what i know, my girlfriends only kicks in for her after 2 weeks has passed. i have mortgage insurance that would cover it. im pretty sure unemployment insurance starts after 2 weeks as well.( this is all for Canada and maybe specifically for Quebec)

    Were taxed enough here...i feel the goverment should give some sort of payments to people asked to stay home.
    ROH 2003 - end of 2008 = best years of wrestling ever

  18. #58
    Big Papa's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    16,323
    Rep Power
    1002070

    Re: Coronavirus

    Quote Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
    A question thats going to need addressing is if people are asked to stay home...should the goverment pay their time off. I only have 2 paid sick days a year. Ive already used them. my insurance wont cover it and atleast from what i know, my girlfriends only kicks in for her after 2 weeks has passed. i have mortgage insurance that would cover it. im pretty sure unemployment insurance starts after 2 weeks as well.( this is all for Canada and maybe specifically for Quebec)

    Were taxed enough here...i feel the goverment should give some sort of payments to people asked to stay home.
    Just saw a news story that its being discussed. I'm lucky enough to have a job where I get a decent amount of sick time if needed, and I haven't had to use it for a long time, so I have a pretty good stash. I would be okay. Lady Papa.... not so much.

    EI has a 1 week Waiting Period now so if you were only off for one week, you might not get anything from them. EI also requires you to use all other available sick leave first, but that sometimes means you don't have to have the 1 week unpaid Waiting Period.

    It the quarantine and self-quarantine become much more prevalent, the gov't will absolutely have to look at something.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.



  19. #59
    All About That Ace

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Hollywoo
    Posts
    15,330
    Rep Power
    1872859
      Country                    Canada

    Re: Coronavirus

    Imo. Government should 100% compensate people forced not to work for quarantine reasons. Actually, I think the company itself, if theyve got enough of a bottom line, should take care of that themselves but smaller businesses undoubtedly dont have the luxury.

    But I also suspect companies will just divert resources to remote work for their employees. Thats obviously double sided: work overwhelms so many aspects of our lives as it is but itll also make dealing with a lot of inconveniences (teacher strikes, long distances, bad weather) much easier.

  20. #60
    Admin in Lockdown

    Ed's Avatar

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Dudley, England
    Posts
    39,215
    Rep Power
    3824311
      Country                    England

    Re: The Civil NA Politics Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    The UK is up to 15 confirmed cases now and I expect that's going to shoot up quite a bit in the next few weeks
    Been about 10 days since I posted this, and we're now at 285 cases in the UK and 3 people have died. I think the key thing is every part of the UK has it, containment hasn't work, it was fine when it was just people coming back from China and you could send them straight to isolated units at hospitals, but once it became 'anyone who's been to northern Italy in the last month' then it's no wonder it's cropping up all over the country because so many people holiday over there, especially with the Feb half term, and they could of easily been passing it around before they started feeling any symptoms. A proper outbreak to me seems a certainty now, we'll be in the 1000s in a weeks time. For example I noticed there was a confirmed case in Cheltenham over the weekend, and this week 300,000 people will be flocking to the horse racing festival, and I can't see anyway the government will force to postpone that with how much money is tied into it.

    I have noticed a shift in people's attitude these last few days, there seemed to be fewer people out and about at the weekend, people are keeping their contact when they meet people really limited and hand hygiene seems to have improved. That's a positive sign, but hard to keep that up every day.

    I just look at what's going on in Italy where for a few weeks they cancelled sports events and tried to be a bit stricter with quarantines and their number of cases and deaths has horrifically increased this week and I just wonder how many countries could end up like Italy in the next few weeks when their outbreak happens and they try to put stricter measures in place but the horse has already bolted.

Page 3 of 67 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 5 users browsing this thread. (3 members and 2 guests)

  1. Gilo,
  2. Smooth Jazz Wolf,
  3. Tig

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •