Thread: Matches To Remember - 2010s Edition

King EC

Status
      Country                    United States

Matches To Remember - 2010s Edition

So the idea of this thread is to recall matches from the 2010s that you believe deserve to be remembered. As time passes, it's easy for good or even great matches to kind of fall through the cracks and become forgotten. In this thread, we will share and discuss matches from the past decade that we enjoyed and don't want to see forgotten. This is not a thread for MOTYCs. This thread is for matches that are a little more obscure. Matches that may have occurred on obscure shows, been overshadowed by more acclaimed matches, or just came and went for whatever reason. Matches that you could see being lost to time in 5 to 10 years. Of course it's impossible to say for sure what matches went "under the radar", but I think you can understand what I'm getting at. We don't need to bring up Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels at WrestleMania 26, CM Punk vs. John Cena at Money in the Bank 2011, Brock Lesnar vs. John Cena vs. Seth Rollins at Royal Rumble 2015 and so on....

I'll start with a little gem from pretty recent history.

Fastlane 2018
    WWE Championship
    AJ Styles (c) vs. Kevin Owens vs. Sami Zayn vs. Baron Corbin vs. Dolph Ziggler vs. John Cena

Fastlane is annually a pretty easily forgotten PPV because it's really just there to bridge the gap between the Royal Rumble and WrestleMania, and it doesn't have a popular gimmick attached to it like Elimination Chamber. At 2018, this six-pack challenge was a big time show stealer. Not too surprising given who was competing in the match. The action was fernetic from bell to bell and everyone in the match brought something valuable to the table.

----------------------------

Anyone else have any good suggestions?
    Last edited by Mr. Peanutbutter; 02-11-2020 at 11:51 PM.
    ​​​​​​​​ 2019 King of Wrestling Clique

HOW ABOUT YOU READ THESE THINGS?

WC's Greatest Superstars in WWE History
    Burn It Down!: The Top 25 Matches of Seth Rollins' Career

VOTE IN TICKET WARS VII - ROUND 2!!
    Zero vs. Ed
    Shock vs. Smooth Jazz Wolf

MADMIN KING

Status
      Country                    England

Re: Matches To Remember - 2010s Edition

It's funny you say matches that could be lost in 5-10 years time because with a gun to my head I could not of told you who AJ Styles faced at Fastlane 2 years ago I'm sure it was a fun match but I don't recall thinking it was great.

Charlotte Vs Sasha Vs Bayley Vs Becky - Takeover - It's a level below the Bayley/Sasha two matches and Becky/Sasha, and doesn't have the strong WWE PR bias of something like Natalya/Charlotte so it won't be hyped up as much as it should, but this felt like the first night where the women had the best match on a takeover which just set the table for the changes coming to the company.

Daniel Bryan Vs Randy Orton - Raw 2013, No DQ match - Bryan's 2013 should be remembered in general, but a raw match with Orton is more likely to be lost in the cracks than say him Vs Cena at Summerslam.

Kazuchika Okada Vs Satoshi Kojima - G1 Climax 2017(or 18 idk) - Would make my list as a top ten Okada match because Okada played a full on dickhead heel and the standard textbook was out the window.

Will have a think and add more tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Peanutbutter View Post
    This thread is for matches that are a little more obscure. Matches that may have occurred on obscure shows, been overshadowed by more acclaimed matches, or just came and went for whatever reason. Matches that you could see being lost to time in 5 to 10 years. Of course it's impossible to say for sure what matches went "under the radar", but I think you can understand what I'm getting at. We don't need to bring up Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels at WrestleMania 26, CM Punk vs. John Cena at Money in the Bank 2012, Brock Lesnar vs. John Cena vs. Seth Rollins at Royal Rumble 2015 and so on....
    I'd like to nominate Punk vs Cena from MITB 2011 since apparently it's already been forgotten.

MADMIN KING

Status

EC, if you want to get him back, start reminiscing on Johnny Gargano's first few years on NXT

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Sheamus vs Big Show (Hell In A Cell 2012 btw) comes to mind. I'm probably the highest person on that match but I thought that match was pretty great. One of the the more underrated Hell In A Cell Matches, imo. Sheamus upped the stiffness in his offence to match the Big Show while being dominated. Big Show looked great manhandling Sheamus but sold well enough in return as well.
    We Don't Confrom, Kiss Ass Or Get Married
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!
    NJPW Threads

Status

On the Sheamus note, I'll throw out a nod for Sheamus vs. Cesaro (Clash of Champions 2016) aka The Bar origin story match. This was the final match of their best of seven series and notoriously ends in kind of a shitty no-contest fashion to get the boys thrown together as a tag team. As you'd expect of these two, it's hard-hitting and entertaining as hell, and even with the lack of a great finish it's still a more underrated match from the time period that I think especially deserves revisiting given their success together as a team.

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread | Silk's Degrassi Recaps
    WC Rumble Winner 2017, Comic and Game Dork, Mafia Overlord, #Iconic

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

[footnote: Is now the longest reigning WWE Champion in Smackdown history]

WC Hall of Famer

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

The tornado tag from the same Raw that had the Pipe Bomb promo.

Currently enjoying a plate of Pulpo Gallego via Tapastalk.

Ask Fuji|2020 Movie Log

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status
      Country                    Scotland

You can almost rename this the Sheamus appreciation thread with how much you could fill it up.

I'm going to go with AJ Styles and Kurt Angle vs Bad Influence from Slammiversary 2012. My interest in Angle at this point was rock bottom, and this was part of the Claire Lynch storyline. I'm also not that into Bad Influence. But I remember this tag match being awesome and I think my tna match of the year for 2012. A wonderful surprise.

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

The 100 Greatest WCW Matches - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

People's Champion

Status

The first match that comes to mind for me is Steen vs Genericos feud in all of 2010. Obviously the Final Battle match is remembered most. But Steen and Corino vs Generico and Cabana in the double dog collar match at GBH 9 was amazing as well.

Tyler Black vs Davey Richards from Death before Dishonor 8 is also one i remembered fondly from this time. It still holds up today.

Flip Gordon vs Will Ospreay from Global Wars Day 4 in 2017 was fantastic. Both guys were insane.

Young Bucks vs Hardys at Supercard of Honor in a Ladder Match. Hardys showed up thenext night at Wrestlemania. Their match at Supercard was way better and the last match i gave 5 stars too

Jay Lethal vs Johnathan Gresham iron man match. Best tv match in the last 10 years

Jay Lethal vs Will Ospreay At Death Before Dishonor 2018. This match had it all. Fantastic stuff from both guys
    Last edited by indyfan; 02-12-2020 at 09:46 AM.
    Proud Member of the PC Master Race.

King EC

Status

To add on to the Sheamus love, I'll add

SummerSlam 2011
    Sheamus vs. Mark Henry

This match was came in the early stages of Mark Henry's Hall of Pain run. Henry had already decimated Big Show and Kane, but Sheamus was one of the heavy hitters that he wasn't able to take out. They met here in a sub-10 minute match was full of stiffness and aggression. It's the kind of match that really brought out the best in both competitors. What the match is most remembered for, and rightfully so, is Mark Henry hitting the World's Strongest Slam on Sheamus through the barricade, leading to a count out. This "OMG Moment" was the perfect way to elevate Henry's status.
    ​​​​​​​​ 2019 King of Wrestling Clique

HOW ABOUT YOU READ THESE THINGS?

WC's Greatest Superstars in WWE History
    Burn It Down!: The Top 25 Matches of Seth Rollins' Career

VOTE IN TICKET WARS VII - ROUND 2!!
    Zero vs. Ed
    Shock vs. Smooth Jazz Wolf

Heel Champion

Status
      Country                    Greece

I was a big fun of Mark Henry's push back in 2011. I'll add his matches with the Big Show at Money in the Bank & Survivor Series to the mix as well as his Night of Champions match against Randy Orton.

Speaking of Orton, his Street Fight with Kane on August 11 on SmackDown was dope.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status
      Country                    Scotland

The Shield & The Wyatt Family vs. Daniel Bryan, CM Punk, Goldust, Cody Rhodes & The Usos - WWE Raw, 18th November 2013

Pretty much everything that made 2013 such an amazing year in ring. This is everything a TV match should be. Exciting matches that build current feuds, and teases future feuds (the Shield and the Wyatts). Despite all these guys wrestling one another fairly regularly, this still feels fresh and interesting and the crowd are way into a very likeable babyface team. It was also quite a unique match because even though the heels had a standard heat section, it had the extra element that the Shield weren't willing to tag in the Wyatt family. I am an absolute sucker for these sorts of matches and is definitely worth a revisit for anyone with 20 minutes to spare.

The 100 Greatest WCW Matches - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

Thread Information