Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NXT Takeover: Portland - Feb. 16th, 2020 - Card & Discussion

MADMIN KING

Status
      Country                    England

Re: NXT Takeover: Portland - Feb. 16th, 2020 - Card & Discussion

Yeah MOTN for me so far. I’m not sold that Charlotte/Rhea will stay a singles match.

The Flow

Status
      Country                    Canada

Yeah it was fucking great, but I have a feeling this match here is gonna be MOTN

The only time WWE came close to a good story line post Attitude Era was Undertaker/Mordecai - Dakstang
    [06:01 PM]Dakstang
    :
    Yeah I guess you are right. And I only want to be Daddy to my own kids. Sorry.

The Flow

Status

Great fucking match though

The only time WWE came close to a good story line post Attitude Era was Undertaker/Mordecai - Dakstang
    :

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Loved the tag match. Completely forgot it was happening though. I'm out for the main event. I ain't got the energy for it.
    We Don't Confrom, Kiss Ass Or Get Married
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!
    NJPW Threads

The Flow

Status

LO FUCKING L

:

King EC

Status
      Country                    United States

Some people are going to feel very strongly about the finish to that main event.

Haven't gotten to watch the whole show yet, only seen highlights. One move that stood out to me was Tegan Nox doing that cannonball splash into Dakota Kai on the floor, with the trash can over her. It looked like one of the most counterproductive offensive moves I've ever witnessed in a wrestling match. Basically like Tegan giving herself a German suplex on the floor while Kai was completely unphased.

​​​​​​​​ 2019 King of Wrestling Clique

HOW ABOUT YOU READ THESE THINGS?

WC's Greatest Superstars in WWE History
    Burn It Down!: The Top 25 Matches of Seth Rollins' Career

VOTE IN TICKET WARS VII - ROUND 2!!
    Zero vs. Ed
    Shock vs. Smooth Jazz Wolf

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status
      Country                    Scotland

More thoughts later on, but up until the start of the main event this was a great show. The tag match in particular was every bit as great as I hoped it would be.

I'm not too fussed about the turn at the end, the feud never felt finished so it is what it is. Can't say I'm looking forward to the inevitable match and I 100% think Ciampa needs a change of scenery.

The turn wasn't half as bad or frustrating as the match before it, which gave a shit load more ammunition for the thought that Adam Cole is terrible. It's a shame because the rest of NXT is enjoyable. Michaels needs to get his hands off these main events because they've gone to shit ever since he came along.

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

The 100 Greatest WCW Matches - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

The Mayor of Slamtown

Status

I dont think the match is gonna be what you think it is.

I think they just gave a reason for Johnny to be in the World Title match. Im thinking Ciammpa/Cole/Balor/Gargano.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

After finally starting to enjoy NXT again, they rehash the dead feud that previously killed my enjoyment of it. Not a great ending.

The tag team match was easy MOTN for me. The rest really struggled to get me totally invested in their match or wasn't something I liked in total. Riddle looked fab with his hot tags and chemistry with Dunne.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!
    NJPW Threads

MADMIN KING

Status

Cole Vs Ciampa the first half of it I thought was pretty good. They were telling a good story of Cole working over Ciampa's neck and Ciampa being super focused in getting his title back, and for a match I didn't care about going into it, I found myself getting into the Ciampa chase. It WAS worked at a slower pace to start with and the big bumps WERE given time to breathe and leave their impact. Then it descends into one of the biggest farces I've ever seen where they are going for an epic without understanding what works so well for MOTYCs. There was no escalation here, they just went from their steady pace to overdrive and stayed there for 15 minutes, kicking out of every single move they have, sometimes multiple times. I've said this before about Ciampa, he has too many finisher moves to the point where I forget which one is supposed to be the actual finishing move that I'm so gobsmacked Cole survives, but it doesn't matter because Cole survives them all anyway. When they do the avalanche air raid clash, it feels like a big move getting us ready for the legit finish of the match and it's a nice callback to wargames, and then Cole survives it and they then wrestle for another 10 minutes, and then they do another air raid clash this time on the apron. You've already done that move from the top rope, and Cole survived it, so how much impact are you really getting out of doing it again in a less impressive way? And then we'll attempt to do the panama sunrise again and again from different angles and different set ups, and we'll do a hundred superkicks as transitional moves into more finishers that don't end it, and then the panama sunrise finally hits on the outside of the ring, but Ciampa completely no sells it to hit Randy Orton's DDT that's another one of his 7 finishers, but that's kicked out of too and fuck off, fuck off, fuck off I hate this match now. That was enough for me to hate the match, but then there's more. Undisputed Era run out to turn it into a 4 on 1 situation, the stable that everyone has problems with, they threw Kushida into a bin the other day, Riddle and Dunne are feuding with reDRagon, Dream is feuding with Roddy, Keith Lee and Dijak were by Ciampa's side at wargames a few months ago and NONE OF THEM want to run out to even up the odds. The crowd were begging for Dream to come out which would of made this work a lot better, but no, all the babyfaces on this brand are cowards so they all stay in the back, but don't worry, super ciampa can hold his own 4 on 1 against them, even when there's a ref bump and he gets low blowed, because he can just low blow Cole back. What man recovers from a kick to the balls in 5 seconds? And when the ref goes down, the match became so much of a farce that I legitimately thought 'what if Gargano runs down in a referees shirt' because they love to do DIY related endings to these boys and title matches. But what happens was even dumber than that mad scenario I came up with. Gargano, hitting Ciampa over the head with the title, I burst out laughing so hard I missed the winning pin by Cole. This promotion, with the 100+ names they have signed to developmental, running Gargano Vs Ciampa AGAIN, just after they teamed up together at worlds collide, are they that fucking clueless for creative ideas? Johnny Gargano has been stuck on this brand for almost 6 years now, 3 years ago he's the best babyface in the world and now he's NXT's Big Show because he's turned and changed attitude so many times for no good reason his character makes no sense and isn't believable anymore. His match with Balor was his 16th Takeover match, and there's no end in sight because we're back to Ciampa Vs Gargano again on this brand, instead of moving them onto the main roster. They've crossed the line to complete parody.

Lee/Dijak was not a good match. That's the sloppiest they've ever done their big boys flipz match before. Before the match they've got Mark Henry talking about how these guys are changing the game for big man wrestlers, well I wish someone on this brand would wrestle more like Mark Henry because the lack of variety on this show from the men is staggering. Every match feels the same and has to be a show stealer, and the end result is nothing really stands out.

Riddle/Dunne/TUE was good but it's just a 2 on 2 version of the go go go stuff we had all night, and I am very concerned Matt Riddle is going to be pigeon holed as a comedy guy in WWE. I got Team Hell No vibes from this which is good for Dunne because he was doing nothing good, but limits Riddle who should be on the main roster now.

Gargano/Balor was the best of the male matches, probably the closest to a NJPW style NXT match we've ever seen but wouldn't say it was anything great. Slow build, leading to the mad 5 minute finish that makes it seem like the match was more exciting than it was. I did enjoy Balor putting a little more mustard on his moves with him being heel. Gargano was Gargano.

Bianca/Rhea was great, my MOTN. No coincidence it was the shortest match, but it delivered strong. Leave me wanting more, not less. Bianca is a star, just move her up to the main roster if she's gonna spend another year not being champion in NXT. The best she's ever looked as a babyface.

Tegan/Dakota I really enjoyed, but more for Dakota than Tegan who was a little all over the place. Newbie absolutely blew her big spot and hilarious that Beth Phoenix had to yell down her microphone who it was because I had no fucking clue who it was.

Hail To The King

Status

Lee/Dijack was motn. I actually was dissapointed in the 1st half of both Gargano/Balor & Cole/Ciampa will the ME picked up 3/4 through it I still say it was pretty weaker in the Main Event of Takeovers. Dunne/Riddle are great and we should see a Riddle/Dunne match by Takeover Tampa. Belair/Ripley was average i excepting little more but Belair is clearly ready for title.

Nox/Kai was great and good to see Reina on tv she looks great i seen her at live events over past 3 years shes lost a lot of weight though they did make her look like Sonya lol.

That said im always for Gargano/Ciampa!

Overall Good show that peaked in start.
    Last edited by OMB; 02-17-2020 at 10:17 AM.

Spoiler:

CWA World Heavyweight Champion
    Brayden Bridges

The EST of WC

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

MORE Gargano/Ciampa?

Curtain Jerker

Status

Lee/Dijakovic had some very entertaining spots, but I felt it was a tad awkward at times and lacked a bit in between the spots. Not sure if I really want to be seeing big men flip around all the time though.

Nox/Kai again was fairly entertaining. Kai channeling her inner Chris Cairns with the cricket bat. Pretty sure trying to hit someone in the head with a cricket bat is attempted murder though. Also what was Nox up to with that weird cannonball senton spot?

Gargano/Balor I’m sure was pretty good but I can’t really remember anything that happened in the match. Probably some menacing gurning from Balor at some point.

Belair/Ripley I wasn’t too hopeful for, but it probably exceeded my expectations. Had to look away when Ripley was launched to the outside. Had leg breaker written all over it.

UE/Broserweights was my MOTN. A really fun affair although nothing revolutionary.

If I was to write down everything I disliked about the main event I’d still be here at Christmas.

The EST of WC

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Is it fair to call Cole the worst NXT champ to date? I legit don’t feel any of his title matches have actually been that good.

The Flow

Status

I’m divided on the main event. I feel Ciampa put on a great performance but Cole stunk up the place, he was just absolute dogshit. I hated the finish too, I’m so fucking over that feud and I just can’t buy Gargano as a heel literally maybe a year after he turned face again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:

Le Champion

Status

I get it, they always can't really trust each other but come on to fuck and just kill this fucking feud. I anticipate Gargano getting injured and being out for 3-6 months and the cycle just repeats itself.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Quote Originally Posted by CGS View Post
    Is it fair to call Cole the worst NXT champ to date? I legit don’t feel any of his title matches have actually been that good.
    At the very least his matches are memorable - for better or worse. And I do think he's a very good promo.

I cannot remember a fucking thing McIntyre or Roode did.

The 100 Greatest WCW Matches - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

creatively drained artist

Status
      Country                    Turkey

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    At the very least his matches are memorable - for better or worse. And I do think he's a very good promo.

I cannot remember a fucking thing McIntyre or Roode did.

Did Drew hold that title long enough to do actually anything? I remember he won it from Roode and dropped it to Cien the next TakeOver.

And for Roode, I'll take his match with Itami over anything I've seen from Cole yet.
    Du bindest einen Blumenkranz...
    ...wieso siehst du so traurig aus?

King EC

Status

Yeah I can't see ranking Cole as the worst NXT Champion of all time. McIntyre was hardly champion when he reigned. Roode's reign was forgettable outside of his TakeOver matches. Rollins and Big E's reigns were so far back and so different from the quality we've come to expect, I think they have to be among the worst (or at least most insignificant) champions. Hell, Gargano's reign was easily worse too.

At least in Cole's reign we've seen the belt defended on Smackdown, Raw and a WWE PPV. He's held it for over 200 days and become an established face of the brand, as it's grown to new heights.

I have very little love for Cole, as a wrestler or a character. But I definitely don't think he's the worst NXT Champion ever.
    ​​​​​​​​ 2019 King of Wrestling Clique

HOW ABOUT YOU READ THESE THINGS?

WC's Greatest Superstars in WWE History
    Burn It Down!: The Top 25 Matches of Seth Rollins' Career

VOTE IN TICKET WARS VII - ROUND 2!!
    Zero vs. Ed
    Shock vs. Smooth Jazz Wolf

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Drew had a good title match against Almas which is one more than Cole has had so far. And his title reign has been way longer.

Didn't Roode have the Roderick Strong feud as well? I hold his defence against KENTA with very high regard.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!
    NJPW Threads

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information