Thread: Euro Indys Match YES/NO Thread

WAKE UP

Status

Euro Indys Match YES/NO Thread

Same concept as here - http://wrestlingclique.com/showthread.php?t=174120

Nominations require an explanation/reason. Let's watch and talk good wrestling for the year of our lord 2020.

NOMINATIONS:

Zack Sabre Jr. vs Will Ospreay, RPW High Stakes - 0 YES, 2 NO

Daniel Makabe vs Eddie Kingston, wXw 16 Carat Gold: Night 1
    Cara Noir vs Mike Bailey, wXw 16 Carat Gold: Night 3 - 0 YES, 1 NO
    Yuki Ishikawa vs Daisuke Ikeda, wXw AMBITION 12 - 1 YES, 0 NO
    Daniel Makabe vs Chris Ridgeway, wXw AMBITION 12
    Last edited by King Steventon; 03-20-2020 at 04:44 AM.

MR WRESTLEMANIA

Status
      Country                    England

Re: Euro Indys Match YES/NO Thread

Ok Europe's finally had one.

Nominate:
    Zack Sabre Jr Vs Will Ospreay - Rev Pro High Stakes - Great fucking match, better than the recent NJPW match was and that was no slouch either. At a risk of telling a pun, the High Stakes in this match helped raise it because this time it really felt like Will had a chance of becoming British Champion and frankly to do that in York Hall for the company that put him on the map first infront of a hot crowd, that's a much bigger deal than if he wins the title in Sapporo. Will has failed to win this title 5 times before this match so there's an air of desperation and laser focused determination in this one from him; anyone that thinks he is just a flashy wrestler doing gymastic routines is lost and doesn't watch him without bias. And Zack is great like he always is, when Ospreay does his kickflip off the chest move and Zack catches it into an anklelock, I was pumped the fuck up and that happened pretty early into the match, there were more clever tricks dotted throughout the match. Loved the tease of the choke towards the end of the match, nodding back to the Sapporo finish, but Ospreay powered out and landed the hidden blade/stormbreaker combo to finally become British Champion at a time when his influence and presence on the scene is greatly needed. BritWres is dead has been a joke doing the rounds for a while now, but perhaps this match is signs that sparks of revival might happen in 2020, for Rev Pro at least.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

I watched this earlier and I probably would've yes'd it but after sitting on what I thought, I'm really preferring the New Japan match. Good match, I can't say it'll be a MOTYC for me though, so I'll give it a NO right now.

WAKE UP

Status

Zack vs Ospreay - NO. Started off well enough but after a while everything just became your-turn-my-turn without one guy working a heat section or having an advantage for a sustained period and I lost interest fairly quickly. I have enjoyed this pairing in the past but those matches went closer to 20 minutes than 40.

Also, not related to the match itself, but there are no words for how fucking awful the RevPro commentators are. Give me Mauro every day of the week over these guys.

WAKE UP

Status

Nomination

Daniel Makabe vs Eddie Kingston, wXw 16 Carat Gold - Night 1

This is a bit of a borderline pick but I enjoyed it enough to throw it up. Good story here with Makabe being all over Kingston with the wrestling and grappling at the start, forcing Kingston to turn it into his type of match, with throwing hands and big suplexes. We get what you expect from Eddie - stiff shots, dirty fighting, and good long-term selling of the damage. He eats the second worst German suplex of the month. Neat finish with Makabe trying to play Kingston's game and getting caught.

WAKE UP

Status

Nominate

Yuki Ishikawa vs Daisuke Ikeda, wXw AMBITION 12

Great match. They could have easily phoned in an exhibition match, but straight from the off Ikeda gets in Ishikawa's grill and there's heat, and it only gets more violent from there. It takes about 30 seconds for Ishikawa to deliver a sick punch right to Ikeda's eye socket. Both guys have slowed down some at this age, and Ikeda has lost his finesse on the mat, but this was great BatBat style violence and brutality. Neither guy held back at all with their strikes. Both guys selling also really helped make this feel like a war of attrition, Ishikawa especially sold those kicks like he was getting absolutely blasted. Final section was fucking crazy with Ikeda busting out a bunch of ridiculous desperation headbutts. BattlARTS still fucking lives.

Daniel Makabe vs Chris Ridgeway, wXw AMBITION 12

This had a good shoot-style story being told - Ridgeway is a beast in the stand up when throwing strikes, clearly way out-gunning Makabe there. He is also super aggressive AND shows he is pretty skilled on the mat, taking away the advantage you come in thinking Makabe has. Makabe has to work from beneath, and his selling body-language really helps put this over. Finish was a bit abrupt but it felt like Makabe having to pull something un-conventional out the bag of tricks. Good tourney finals and good shoot-style match.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Nomination: Mike Bailey vs. Cara Noir - 08/03/2020

I might be losing my mind but I'm going to nominate this for Mike Bailey's performance alone. He was pretty outstanding in almost every regard. There was a few moments where he and Cara Noir would do a strike exchanged that didn't flow well at all. But past that, he was pretty much amazing. Great offence with a varitey of creative and unpredictable kicks delivered with tons of force. He showed great flashes of personality with smug smiles whenever he outsmarted Noir. Everything he did was just so explosive and enjoyable that I can't help for nominate it. I didn't really care for Cara Noir at all as he was so unimpressive but he was on the receiving end of offence for 90% of the match so he didn't really detract a ton from Bailey's showing.

WAKE UP

Status

Where are Ed and Zero at for this?

Bailey vs Cara Noir - NO. I am really over Cara Noir. What is the character supposed to be? He does a lot of thigh-slap headbutts which are really jarring when you watch them after something like Ishikawa vs Ikeda. All of the fighting spirit stuff also felt really hokey and obnoxious. Noir eats a flurry of kicks and a poison-rana then jumps on Bailey for a choke. Match felt very paint-by-numbers, overly long indy epic. Loads of spots of both guys just standing around waiting for the other to recover. Hated the finish too.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Yes to Ishikawa vs Ikeda. It was an excellent match where you had two guys who genuinely enjoyed knocking 10 bells out of each other with kicks, punches and using any moves that they could think of - for old times sake.

MR WRESTLEMANIA

Status

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    Where are Ed and Zero at for this?
    I think I've watched 2 matches in a week, one of which was Eddie Kingston Vs Daniel Makabe which was nice but nothing I'd give a yes to.

I have to say, Carat is coming off as a massive slog to watch. The field just isn't strong at all, I'm totally disconnected to 2020 wXw and the english commentary is the worst commentary in modern wrestling.

idk, really not in a wrestling mood atm.

WAKE UP

Status

I watched the matches I wanted with the German commentary so I can kind of tune it out.

MR WRESTLEMANIA

Status

I may have to try that this weekend he’s not the most exciting of voices, English commentary on these big weekends aren’t the same without Alan4L.

Thread Information