Thread: NJPW Match YES/NO thread

WAKE UP

Status

NJPW Match YES/NO thread

Same concept as here - http://wrestlingclique.com/showthread.php?t=174120

Nominations require an explanation/reason. Let's watch good wrestling in the year of our lord 2020.

NOMINATIONS:

Ospreay vs Hiromu, 4/1 - 1 YES, 2 NO
    Okada vs Ibushi, 4/1 - 4 YES, 0 NO
    Okada vs Naito, 5/1 - 3 YES, 1 NO

Hiromu vs Ryu Lee, 9/2 - 1 YES, 0 NO
    Moxley vs Suzuki, 9/2 - 0 YES, 2 NO
    Last edited by King Steventon; 02-14-2020 at 10:44 PM.

WAKE UP

Status

Re: NJPW Match YES/NO thread

Nominate

Okada vs Naito - 5/1

I'll probably have to rewatch this and Okada vs Ibushi to gauge how I feel about them 2nd time round, but one first watch I'm confident this was a great match at the least. Considering the circumstances I was relieved they went 'only' 35 minutes and as a result the match was actually paced very well, the early sections of the match largely felt meaningful and they built to the final stretch. I am someone who doesn't care that much about NJ booking or Naito, but god damn if they didn't make you WANT Naito to win this. Okada turning up the heeling and destroying Naito's leg was stuff, the table spot really felt like a big moment in the match. Big ending felt big without every going overboard and the Stardust Press finish was the cherry on top. A lot of these big NJ main events can feel devoid of storytelling but this had it plenty.

All About That Ace

Status
      Country                    Canada

Voting NO. As someone who was a bit chiller about Naito's selling against White, it was absurdly atrocious in his match against Okada. And as someone who loved Naito when he first got into NJPW, this was the breaking point of my enjoyment of him. Everything about his finally beating Okada in the WK main event just didn't feel as great as it should've and came across as long overdue. I dont like Okada but I actually sort of wanted him to beat Naito by the end. This was my least liked big match of WK weekend minus Tanahashi/Jericho.

I know im on the negative side of WK and most people enjoyed it a lot more than I did though.
    Todd Chavez: I'm deeply sad and nothing can make me happy.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

I'm going to YES it. Don't really like Naito but the match got me into his title win, mostly due to Okada's great work on top, being a dismissive jerk and being a good foil for a normally uninteresting face.

While I'm here I'm going to YES Ibushi vs Okada. I dug this start to finish. I was SUPER invested on seeing Ibushi win, despite my little brain leaning towards Okada winning. Ibushi turning into a stone cold killer was so awesome, it was chilling to the bone to watch. Okada egging Ibushi on which lead to that moment was great but the way he sold for Ibushi as well was great to watch. The closing stretch was electric as well. I thought this was the best New Japan match I've seen in awhile. I loved it that much.

Edit: I do mean Nominations yes. Just confused on the wording
    Last edited by MC 16; 01-25-2020 at 04:41 PM.
    We Don't Confrom, Kiss Ass Or Get Married
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!
    NJPW Threads

MADMIN KING

Status

Ibushi/Okada - YES. I thought this was the pick of the matches from WK weekend and the stronger of the main events. Ibushi's grown into such an accomplished wrestler.

Naito/Okada - YES. I don't think it's a great match, but I'm only going to say NO to matches I don't think are worth the time to watch or that I hate as this isn't an out and out MOTY thread. I'd probably go something like 3.5 on it.

And a nomination for Hiromu/Ospreay - You know what you're going to get out of these two and they definitely went out there and wow'd the fans. I like that Hiromu kept his wild style but was a little more smarter in the bumps he was taking, for example I don't think he ever did the sunset powerbomb off the apron, think it was just teased. Wasn't in love with the new finish, but didn't hate it.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    China

YES to all three nominated matches thus far, thought although flawed were all big enough in their own ways. I would pick Okada/Ibushi above the other two pretty clearly though and Okada/Naito was clearly helped by the moment moreso than the match.
    As long as you remember me, I will always live within you. Not as a phantom limb or a phantom anything...As part of your heart. I will always be your angel of peace. So I know exactly how to finish...

Say..."Peace".

Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling (w/Dylan Fox (me) & Cagematch.net boss STRIGGA)

Check out our Patreon and support me please? 1/3/5 dollar tiers but any one is good! - The Eastern Lariat

All About That Ace

Status
      Country                    Canada

Ill continue being a negative nancy.

YES to Okada/Ibushi. I think this is enjoyable enough to see Ibushi completely snap on Okada. I dont think the match is particularly great but it at least has something worthwhile to see.

NO to Takahashi/Ospreay. Good match and this is probably more because of my personal viewing circumstances than anything but I was sort of done in by commentary on this one. Takahashi's new finishing move sort of killed any of the false counts in this entire match because it was obviously not going to end until he did it. Idk, Im fine with predictable booking but not when its that bad and when it basically takes away the impact of anything done until the big new move gets executed. Particularly frustrating when that big new move is unimpressive and more convoluted than anything. I think they could have done a better "redemption" story for Takahashi.
    Todd Chavez: I'm deeply sad and nothing can make me happy.

WAKE UP

Status

Ospreay vs Hiromu - NO. Some good gymnastics routines but was a pretty mediocre wrestling match. It got better towards the end of course but still did nothing for me. Hiromu's new finisher looks appropriately contrived.

WAKE UP

Status

Nominate

Moxley vs Minoru Suzuki, 9/2

This wasn't a barn-burning MOTYC or a perfect match, but it was so much fun. Good brawling, loads of stiffness, selling, punches to the face, both guys have TONNES of charisma and personality and the final minutes with both guys FIRING UP was awesome.

I will also say YES to Okada vs Ibushi - I rewatched it, and while it is a bit slow to get going, the first half isn't just pointless filler, and the second half held up as great.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

No to Moxley vs Suzuki. Fun match but it didn't live up to what I expected from them, although that's probably my mistake. Would've prefered a more serious feel to the match and less funny faces

I nominate Ryu Lee vs Hiromu Takahashi - New Beginning In Osaka 09/02/2020

I loved this. Their other matches were starting to get a little tiresome but who knew that just doing a few things different can change a ton. The chop exchanges were brutal. The bruising looked painful. Hiromu's chest was purple. There was tons of awe-inspiring moves like Lee's tope over the barricade, the stomp on the apron. The teasing of phenoix-plex added some great drama as well l
    The finishing stretch was a bit flat but there is more than enough to enjoy
    We Don't Confrom, Kiss Ass Or Get Married
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!
    NJPW Threads

MADMIN KING

Status

Mox/Suzuki - NO - I went over my feelings about this match in the thread but simply put they just didn't give me what I wanted out of the match.

Lee/Takahashi - YES - I think it's some way from being one of the better matches in their history, but they did enough to make this one feel different to the others and I thought this was the clear MOTN from the New beginning show.

Thread Information