Thread: I Post My Wrestling Observer Awards Ballot

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    China

I Post My Wrestling Observer Awards Ballot

So this is something that's discussed somewhat regularly to a lot of people I talk to online and thought there may be some value in putting it up here to not only create discussion but also offer a somewhat inverted view from the WC Awards, since mine are worldwide and from someone who has basically allowed his entire life to be consumed by wrestling at this point. If you want some very base recs for wrestling you might not watch or have seen before, this is probably as good of a place as any to look without becoming totally bogged down. More like a snapshot of wrestling in the grand scheme. Anyway, check it out if you would like to talk about:

Category A Awards:

LOU THESZ/RIC FLAIR AWARD:
    1. Kaito Kiyomiya
    2. Kento Miyahara
    3. David Starr

(Honorable Mention: Jon Moxley)

I made my case for the first two and they're both there for obvious reasons. With my 3rd place vote I showed David Starr some love for his work touring Europe and helping keep that scene afloat. I'm honestly not always a fan of him in-ring as much as Britwres superfans and at times his social media gives me headaches, but I think in terms of their overall value, he was a better pick than anyone singularly from a major company.

MOST OUTSTANDING WRESTLER:
    1. Tomohiro Ishii
    2. Hijo del Vikingo
    3. Arisa Hoshiki

(Honorable Mention: Darby Allin)

It's honestly mindboggling to me how anyone could pick anyone besides Ishii for this, his year has been far and above all others. Vikingo I feel like was someone moreso than having a list of ****+ matches like Ishii, is someone that every single time I watch him makes me love him even more and resolidify his place as one of the best wrestlers on this planet. It's only a matter of time before he gets a look in the USA and blows up, but until then I can enjoy him used extremely well in a very strong year. Hoshiki carried herself well as White Belt champion, having multiple MOTYCs that took the Joshi world by storm, and in both the 5*GP & Stardom's Tag League she had my highest Star Rating Average as well as Pure Star Grade in the company and showed just how much she was missed during her years long absence.

TAG TEAM OF THE YEAR:
    1. AXIZ (Katsuhiko Nakajima & Go Shiozaki)
    2. Violent Giants (Suwama & Shuji Ishikawa)
    3. The Chavez Brothers (Angel de Oro & Niebla Roja)

(Honorable Mention: Kento Miyahara & Yuma Aoyagi)

Tag wrestling is very down in 2019 across the board but all 3 of these teams did enough to warrant praise. Honestly I think the Chavez Bros are the best actual team but they lacked a tag league to pad their resume the way the other two teams did. On top of that, I went with AXIZ over VG as they were more of a total package, not just in-ring.

BEST ON INTERVIEWS:
    1. Cody Rhodes
    2. Daniel Bryan
    3. Chris Jericho

(Honorable Mention: KENTA)

Of everyone in AEW, Cody is the one that has shown the most range and succeeded in what I personally want from pro wrestling promos, and his one hyping up his title match was probably the best I had heard this year. He just gets it. Bryan has to be someone who should be nominated for both heel and face of the year and is almost constantly the most interesting person in that entire company. His in-ring talents have largely been wasted sadly but on the mic he is nearly untouchable. If he were in his own environment I suspect he would be my #1. Jericho I think leans too much into comedy compared to 1 & 2, but the entertainment value of what he's doing is almost always sky high. I have my qualms about him as champion for multiple reasons, but he deserves credit for being one of the best on interviews.

PROMOTION OF THE YEAR:
    1. NOAH
    2. Stardom
    3. Dragon Gate

(Honorable Mention: Ice Ribbon)

I went back and forth on Stardom and Noah so much it's crazy. I really think both have had great years both in terms of growth as well as in having the two best in-ring products, and I honestly just enjoyed Stardom's shows top to bottom more, BUT. The end of the year gave the final swing towards Noah as Stardom ended on sour notes, losing Hazuki & Kagetsu among all sorts of rumors. Noah has a company that everyone involved seems to believe in and has at least publicly put a good foot forward. DG I think have made massive strides across the board from 12/31/18 to today and are deserving of being up there, though there still are things that I don't love about them stylistic.

BEST WEEKLY TV SHOW:
    1. CMLL Super Viernes
    2. WWE NXT
    3. AEW Dynamite

To be honest, all of the tv shows are bad in some way or another. CMLL's, despite all the problems and disarray is the company I can just turn my brain off and enjoy the easiest, and when things are bad, it's usually in a way that makes me laugh at least.

PRO WRESTLING MATCH OF THE YEAR:
    1. Nanae Takahashi vs. Arisa Nakajima - Hair vs. Hair
    2. Shingo Takagi vs. Tomohiro Ishii - G1 Climax
    3. Metálico vs. Virus - Career vs. Career

(Honorable mention: Nanae Takahashi vs. Takumi Iroha)

I said it before, but there were probably 9 or 10 matches that were within range of each other. To me I went with the hair vs. hair match as I thought it was the best in-ring performance between two people. Ishii & Shingo was close and had a strong immediate reaction, but the stakes involved and Nanae taking an absence pushes the hair vs. hair to #1. Metálico vs. Virus was a very unique and great match in terms of the versatility it showed. The ending result was as emotional as you got in 2019 and as a total package it has to be in the discussion.

-

Category B Awards:

UNITED STATES/CANADA MVP:

Cody Rhodes

(Honorable Mention: Daniel Bryan)

Just thinking of the goofballs in the Elite having total booking power without him there makes him the automatic pick. And it's also been a banner year in both promos and wrestling for him. He has my USA MOTY.

JAPANESE MVP:
    Kaito Kiyomiya

(Honorable Mention: Kento Miyahara)

NOAH had the most positive growth and he was champion the entire year, with nearly all his title defenses aside from Nakajima hitting on some level.

MEXICO MVP:
    Hijo del Vikingo

(Honorable Mention: Rey Fenix)

I honestly struggled to even think of an honorable mention for this. That's how big the gap between him and everyone else is.

EUROPE MVP:
    David Starr

(Honorable Mention: WALTER)

European wrestling is largely hard for me to watch, but it would be silly not to give Starr this.

NON-HEAVYWEIGHT MVP:
    Hijo del Vikingo

^^

WOMEN’S WRESTLING MVP:
    Nanae Takahashi

(Honorable Mention: Takumi Iroha)

I mentioned this on my show not too far back, but she was necessary for her company and not only had great matches but also put over new people in Iroha as well as longtime favorites in Arisa and helped build up others during her title reign. She was the women's MVP in 2019, though it's close.

BEST BOX OFFICE DRAW
    Kazuchika Okada

(Honorable Mention: Kento Miyahara)

There are no box office draws anymore, but he was the champion in the top company for basically the entire year. In WWE things fell off under their champions reigns and at least NJPW didn't drop that far. This award is outdated.

FEUD OF THE YEAR
    Tam Nakano vs Arisa Hoshiki

(Honorable Mention: Daniel Bryan vs. Kofi Kingston)

Tam and Arisa told a story throughout the year with a beginning, middle, and end, an amazing match in between, and it ended happily for both parties. A very rare feat in wrestling in any year, letalone in 2019. Nakano especially deserves credit for her acting ability, adding elements of flair when their feud was at it's peak and adding little touches throughout.

MOST IMPROVED
    Tam Nakano

I saw nothing in Tam outside of being an idol wrestler for a long time, and then somewhere along the line, probably training and working with Hoshiki so much,* but somewhere along the line she became one of the more well rounded workers in wrestling? Her charisma has always been there but this year she was able to channel it in a way that made her feuds better and her a more interesting wrestler and character. Whether looking miserable in Stars, showing her dislike for Arisa Hoshiki, or rescuing P-chan, she has been a joy to watch in 2019.

MOST CHARISMATIC
    Kento Miyahara

(Honorable Mention: Sakura Hirota)

Being the Ace isn't always easy, but whether it's in-ring, his promos, or just how he carries himself, nobody can touch Break Heart when it comes to being a charismatic performer in wrestling.

BRYAN DANIELSON AWARD:
    Fuminori Abe

(Honorable Mention: Timothy Thatcher)

An odd year for both of my usual stalwarts Timothy Thatcher & Hideki Suzuki opens the door for young Abe, who showcased both fantastic technical abilities and wrestled a full schedule this year. I love his work and in every aspect of pro wrestling he emphasized technical wrestling to me this year.

BRUISER BRODY MEMORIAL AWARD
    Jon Moxley

(Honorable Mention: LA Park)

I think the number of good brawlers these days are very few, but Mox showed he was much more than I initially thought of him for his career up until his leaving WWE. A throwback year from a potentially intriguing wrestler going into 2020.

BEST FLYING WRESTLER
    Hijo del Vikingo

(Honorable Mention: Soberano Jr.)

Vikingo is amazing. The first wrestler since Yoshitsune who immediately upon seeing popped me in a way that he did more than anyone has before him.

MOST OVERRATED:
    Bray Wyatt

(Honorable Mention: Baron Corbin)

Unsurprisingly, making a poor in-ring performer in a Slipknot cosplay mask your world champion turned out to be a poor idea. Jay White was close, but as badly as I think his NJPW run has gone, he can't compare to someone like Bray.

MOST UNDERRATED:
    Raul Mendoza

(Honorable Mention: Hajime Ohara)

You might not know it from him being MIA basically since he signed with WWE, but the former Jinzo is an incredible wrestler who has so much to offer any company. He's also extremely well rounded and deserves way better than to be the lowest tier 205 Live jobbers they book him as.

ROOKIE OF THE YEAR:
    Yoshiki Inamura

(Honorable Mention: Takuho Kato)

Inamura is destined to be a star wrestler. Unless they screw him up with bad booking, he could be a great wrestler and main event player for NOAH for years to come. Already showing signs of being a future top flight wrestler as well.

BEST NON-WRESTLER:
    P-Chan

(Honorable Mention: Zelina Vega)

That's right. I picked an inanimate object for this based on the Tam Nakano vs. Natsu Sumire match which was truly amazing.

BEST TELEVISION ANNOUNCER:
    Excalibur

(Honorable Mention: Tony Schiavone)

If JR wasn't around I would enjoy AEW's announce team a lot. Excalibur reminds me of me in his knowledge and passion for wrestling. I don't know if I would be a very good commentator full time but if I did, he would be who I would want to partner with. Nearly all other commentators are bad in wrestling, sadly.

WORST TELEVISION ANNOUNCER:
    Mauro Ranallo

(Honorable Mention: Jim Ross)

I know this is going to sound hyperbolic and hot takey, but I think you could make a case Mauro is the worst commentator in pro wrestling history. There's never been someone who actively takes away from a wrestling product the way he does for me. I respect him as a person and he's clearly knowledgeable and a true fan so I almost feel bad, but there's no question that I can't stand listening to him commentate wrestling shows.

BEST MAJOR WRESTLING SHOW:
    Josh Barnett's Bloodsport (Wrestlemania Weekend)

(Honorable Mention: Pro Wrestling NOAH - Battle of Aesthetics in Sumo Hall)

Bloodsport was awesome aesthetically, in terms of ring action it was consistent up and down the card, the main event was memorable and at the time Thatcher vs. Hideki was a MOTYC for me. I loved what they did with this and am hopeful Josh continues to bring it for more.

WORST MAJOR WRESTLING SHOW:

WWE TLC

(Honorable Mention: WWE Super ShowDown)

A show so bad that it was less enjoyable to watch than the Saudi shows. What happens when Charlotte Flair is in main events.

BEST WRESTLING MANEUVER:
    Jungle Kyona - Kinniku Buster

(Honorable Mention: Zachary Wentz - Rainbow Cutter)

I'm not kidding. I will vote for this move every year she uses it. She used my move the way I (and Kinnikuman himself) did it!!! It's the first time I have seen it in real life besides me!

MOST DISGUSTING PROMOTIONAL TACTIC:
    WWE Saudi Arabia Deal

(Honorable Mention: Ring of Honor's handling of Kelly Klein)

The Saudi deal is an easy pick, especially after a ton of wrestlers got stranded in a dangerous extremist country and Vince left them all behind. Oops.

WORST TELEVISION SHOW:
    Ring of Honor

(Honorable Mention: WWE Smackdown)

Watching ROH TV was a truly miserable experience, despite a certain German friend of mine telling me it was actually good. It has always sucked and got shockingly bad once Taven became champion.

WORST MATCH OF THE YEAR:
    Bray Wyatt vs. Seth Rollins - Hell in a Cell

(Honorable Mention: The Kabuki Warriors vs. Charlotte Flair & Becky Lynch - TLC)

The red lighting. The no selling. Bray Wyatt being terrible at everything. Seth Rollins setting his status as geek of the year for 2019 in stone. A true wrestlecrap masterpiece that only the most delusional Fiend fan could enjoy.

WORST FEUD OF THE YEAR:
    Becky Lynch vs. Ronda Rousey vs. Charlotte Flair

(Honorable Mention: Seth Rollins vs. The Fiend)

I really, really went back and forth with this to the 11th hour in both the WON & WC awards. As crazy as it is to say, I thought the women's feud was an even bigger screwup than HIAC and the reason being that Becky vs. Ronda was SUCH an easy slam dunk and they decided to purposely blow it to hell to push Charlotte to the main event??? Not to mention the awful buildup to WM using Becky and a fake knee injury. The ending match was terrible and literally on the biggest stage possible in wrestling. Seth vs. Fiend was embarrassing but they were both already lost causes and the HIAC wasn't nearly as important.

WORST PROMOTION OF THE YEAR:
    ROH

(Honorable Mention: CMLL)

I'm not sure there's been a bigger disaster of a year for a major wrestling company since WCW closed its doors. Truly, Ring of Honor has been ran into the ground and become a laughingstock to many. There are good people that work there so I root for their success, but it's going to be tough without clearing out basically all of the company's front office and just overcoming fan's already determined view of them. Closing the year with PCO winning the title tells us that they have no interest in being better or more well received with anyone anymore anyway, sadly.

BEST BOOKER:
    NOSAWA

(Honorable Mention: Rossy Ogawa)

NOAH has a worthwhile Heavy, Jr., & tag division, something no other company can boast. I enjoy Stardom but Bea being champion really wasn't a good call in hindsight and both of their tag divisions have seen better days. They could do with some tweaking despite a strong in-ring year. Nearly every other company I would argue has had major problems throughout the year from a booking perspective.

PROMOTER OF THE YEAR:
    Hiroyuki Suzuki

(Honorable Mention: Takaaki Kidani)

Promoting is important and NOAH getting bought by LIDET has turned into a strong thing for them, moreso than any in-ring thing. They've made multiple decisions seen as risky and often blasted as horrible at first glance and has come up aces each time despite the odds. A great year from a corporate decision making standpoint.

BEST GIMMICK:
    Tintin the Giant Panda

(Honorable Mention: Chris Jericho)

She's a giant freaking panda.

WORST GIMMICK:
    Bray Wyatt - The Fiend

(Honorable Mention: The Dark Order)

Even knowing The Fiend exists in wrestling makes me want to kick Mike Rotunda in the balls for raising a son who is so bad at this.

...so with that said, those are my picks for the Wrestling Observer awards for 2019! I hope you enjoyed reading this and it was quality stuff to waste 4 or 5 minutes on. It took me a lot longer to write! But regardless, let me know your thoughts on my picks, argue with me about where I screwed up, offer alternative picks, whatever you feel like.
    As long as you remember me, I will always live within you. Not as a phantom limb or a phantom anything...As part of your heart. I will always be your angel of peace. So I know exactly how to finish...

Say..."Peace".

Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling (w/Dylan Fox (me) & Cagematch.net boss STRIGGA)

Check out our Patreon and support me please? 1/3/5 dollar tiers but any one is good! - The Eastern Lariat

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

Re: I Post My Wrestling Observer Awards Ballot

Ishii was good. Only can think of two matches I'd consider great of his though. The rest doesn't really come to that level. And he laid some eggs this year such as the Cobb match, Naito, EVIL, YOSHI-HASHI, etc.
    We Don't Confrom, Kiss Ass Or Get Married
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!
    NJPW Threads

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Fantastic read, Zero.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

The 100 Greatest WCW Matches - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

Quote Originally Posted by MC 16 View Post
    Ishii was good. Only can think of two matches I'd consider great of his though. The rest doesn't really come to that level. And he laid some eggs this year such as the Cobb match, Naito, EVIL, YOSHI-HASHI, etc.
    Yes, those eggs like those nearly universally regarded great matches against YOSHI-HASHI & EVIL. And actually nobody liked Cobb in the tournament and his match against Ishii was probably his best match of the tournament. I had over 20 matches of Ishii's at **** or higher (great-level), just sadly a lot of the early ones get forgotten or not watched or I don't know what, but he had a great year. Him vs. Taichi were two of the all time carry-jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    Fantastic read, Zero.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk
    Thanks for giving it a look.
    As long as you remember me, I will always live within you. Not as a phantom limb or a phantom anything...As part of your heart. I will always be your angel of peace. So I know exactly how to finish...

Say..."Peace".

Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling (w/Dylan Fox (me) & Cagematch.net boss STRIGGA)

Check out our Patreon and support me please? 1/3/5 dollar tiers but any one is good! - The Eastern Lariat

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    Yes, those eggs like those nearly universally regarded great matches against YOSHI-HASHI & EVIL. And actually nobody liked Cobb in the tournament and his match against Ishii was probably his best match of the tournament. I had over 20 matches of Ishii's at **** or higher (great-level), just sadly a lot of the early ones get forgotten or not watched or I don't know what, but he had a great year. Him vs. Taichi were two of the all time carry-jobs.
    So wildly regarded that Kevin Kelly criticised one of the wrestlers for not showing any real fire despite that being the story of the match. Nor did it lead to anything after. Yes, that match.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    I had over 20 matches of Ishii's at **** or higher (great-level), just sadly a lot of the early ones get forgotten or not watched or I don't know what, but he had a great year. Him vs. Taichi were two of the all time carry-jobs.
    That's fair enough. Just thought it was the year where his formulatic matches came at a worst (worst meaning less than his usually fantastic standard). Didn't rate the Taichi match that highly myself but I guess getting you to like a Taichi match would be good by itself.
    We Don't Confrom, Kiss Ass Or Get Married
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!
    NJPW Threads

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

Quote Originally Posted by MC 16 View Post
    So wildly regarded that Kevin Kelly criticised one of the wrestlers for not showing any real fire despite that being the story of the match. Nor did it lead to anything after. Yes, that match.
    1. Kelly always does that with YH. I'm talking about actual viewers and just the match itself. Funnily enough he does show fire but since I watch NJPW shows with good commentators it never registered with me. And what does that have to do with Ishii anyway, who was awesome in this match?

That's fair enough. Just thought it was the year where his formulatic matches came at a worst (worst meaning less than his usually fantastic standard). Didn't rate the Taichi match that highly myself but I guess getting you to like a Taichi match would be good by itself.
    The Taichi G1 match was the only great match but still, Taichi never had a match that good in his life. As far as formulaic I'm not sure how that applies when if you look at his matches he's had various roles in his matches.

Vs. Taichi & YH NJC - Dominant and overpowering guy who worked on top
    Vs. Okada - Fiery underdog pushing company Ace to the limit
    Vs. EVIL - Worked an entire match/feud around calling back to his trainer and EVIL's idol, Riki Choshu
    Vs. Mox - Our of control brawling type of match
    Vs. Yano - Actually got a not terrible match out of even him
    Vs. Shingo/Goto=/Etc. - Vintage Ishii style
    Vs. Taichi G1 - Underestimating and ultimately passed the torch on the last day of the G1

Even the KENTA match was good and KENTA's easy best match. Whether he's facing someone great or terrible, he gets them at the top of their game. His team with YH was also the best team in the tournament by far, and also got good matches out of whack opponents like Nicholls/Cobb, which nobody else could do.

Say..."Peace".

MADMIN KING

Status

LOU THESZ/RIC FLAIR AWARD:
    1. Kaito Kiyomiya
    2. Kento Miyahara
    3. David Starr

I'll defer to your information on Japan on how good they are as draws. I like the shoutout to David Starr who has pretty much been the main roster any European promotion has gotten buzz in the last year. If his in-ring was a little bit better I think Jericho would of been a shout first this because his matches in NJPW drew well and he's been pretty key to AEW's buzz this year with all his main events drawing well.

MOST OUTSTANDING WRESTLER:
    1. Tomohiro Ishii
    2. Hijo del Vikingo
    3. Arisa Hoshiki

Like MC I was taken aback by the love for Ishii because it's been my least favourite year from him since 2013, even if he was my highest rated New Japan guy of the year. I'd of thought with how much other wrestling you watch that someone from a different Japanese company would be your pick and not a NJPW guy. I can't speak to the other two wrestlers. Starr, Thatcher, Walter for me.

TAG TEAM OF THE YEAR:
    1. AXIZ (Katsuhiko Nakajima & Go Shiozaki)
    2. Violent Giants (Suwama & Shuji Ishikawa)
    3. The Chavez Brothers (Angel de Oro & Niebla Roja)

Really weak year for this award but I did enjoy Violent Giants whenever I saw them.

BEST ON INTERVIEWS:
    1. Cody Rhodes
    2. Daniel Bryan
    3. Chris Jericho

Totally agree with all 3, especially when you remember what Bryan was doing at the start of the year.

PROMOTION OF THE YEAR:
    1. NOAH
    2. Stardom
    3. Dragon Gate

I think the one promotion I watched in 2019 regularly that I would say had a strong year was OTT in Ireland. They've managed to put on some really great shows and feuds and build up new talent so that there's a bright future to lean on when NXT UK scoops up any talent with buzz.

BEST WEEKLY TV SHOW:
    1. CMLL Super Viernes
    2. WWE NXT
    3. AEW Dynamite

Nothing to really argue about here.

PRO WRESTLING MATCH OF THE YEAR:
    1. Nanae Takahashi vs. Arisa Nakajima - Hair vs. Hair
    2. Shingo Takagi vs. Tomohiro Ishii - G1 Climax
    3. Metálico vs. Virus - Career vs. Career

I have actually seen all three of these and I really didn't get the love for the hair vs hair match. I remember loving Moxley/Ishii more than Shingo/Ishii but I'm almost certain if I was to rewatch both, the Shingo match would hold up better. While not my favourite match from Mexico in the year, it was hard not to be impressed with how good Metalico/Virus ended up being. I think I'd agree that there's no big standout match of the year and a lot of the top matches feel close together in quality.

Category B Awards:

UNITED STATES/CANADA MVP:

Cody Rhodes

Yeeeeaaaah I guess but it's not a strong year really.

JAPANESE MVP:
    Kaito Kiyomiya

I'd of gone Miyahara.

EUROPE MVP:
    David Starr

No brainer.

NON-HEAVYWEIGHT MVP:
    Hijo del Vikingo

I'd go Darby but then again I haven't seen enough Vikingo

WOMEN’S WRESTLING MVP:
    Nanae Takahashi

I'd go Io but defer to you.

BEST BOX OFFICE DRAW
    Kazuchika Okada

God it's really hard to pick someone for this in 2019, Okada obviously does good business, I'd lean for Jericho personally.

FEUD OF THE YEAR
    Tam Nakano vs Arisa Hoshiki

Sure. Starr/Devlin for me.

MOST IMPROVED
    Tam Nakano

I like the nod to Moxley, he definitely improved in my eyes.

MOST CHARISMATIC
    Kento Miyahara

He is charismatic. Miyahara/Cody/Jericho probably for me.

BRYAN DANIELSON AWARD:
    Fuminori Abe

(Honorable Mention: Timothy Thatcher)

Did Thatcher have an odd year? I had him 2nd for wrestler of the year I suppose his booking opportunities were a little all over the place.

BRUISER BRODY MEMORIAL AWARD
    Jon Moxley

Agreed.

BEST FLYING WRESTLER
    Hijo del Vikingo

I'll say William Ospreay.

MOST OVERRATED:
    Bray Wyatt

100000000% agree, but Jay White in terms of competent wrestlers is worth a mention.

MOST UNDERRATED:
    Raul Mendoza

Nice pick. I'll say Isaiah Swerve Scott who is more marketable but WWE don't really do anything with him, especially after how well received the match with Gulak was.

BEST NON-WRESTLER:
    P-Chan

Drake for me.

BEST TELEVISION ANNOUNCER:
    Excalibur

Totally agree.

WORST TELEVISION ANNOUNCER:
    Mauro Ranallo

(Honorable Mention: Jim Ross)

I know this is going to sound hyperbolic and hot takey, but I think you could make a case Mauro is the worst commentator in pro wrestling history. There's never been someone who actively takes away from a wrestling product the way he does for me. I respect him as a person and he's clearly knowledgeable and a true fan so I almost feel bad, but there's no question that I can't stand listening to him commentate wrestling shows.

worst commentator in pro wrestling history is very hyperbolic when that covers commentators that say racist things, commentators that say sexist things, commentators that say xenophobic things, commentators that can't be arsed to hide their disdain for what they're watching, commentators that haven't done their research, don't know wrestlers names, don't bother to explain the storyline to you. Things that everyone can agree make for a bad commentator in 2019. Mauro's bad points are essentially just down to personal taste of not liking his references and not liking how over-excited he gets, he still does a lot of the things you'd want to see in an ideal wrestling commentator, and I think that's seen in Mauro winning best commentator on WC because there's still people that like what he has to offer. I'm not having that Mauro is worse than heel Michael Cole was in 2011 either.

When 2019 Jim Ross exists, Mauro isn't even the worst commentator working today. Rico Bushido in wXw is an abysmal commentator to for that matter.

WORST MAJOR WRESTLING SHOW:

WWE TLC

TLC had that block of 4 bad matches in a row, but I still think Crown Jewel was worse because there was nothing good on the show, and it came with propaganda and the scandal of Vince leaving his workers there.

MOST DISGUSTING PROMOTIONAL TACTIC:
    WWE Saudi Arabia Deal

A lot to choose from this year because there was Andy Q delaying the Summer Sizzler footage for weeks, then pretending to have taken a zero tolerance approach to Josh Bodom only for Bodom to leak the Andy messages where he wanted to stand by Josh. There was Triple H putting NXT onto USA to directly counter program AEW but then act like that's not what they're doing, and also countering AEW PPV with the Evolve 10th anniversary show. The ROH stuff as you rightly mention, and not forgetting the fucking Enzo and Cass angle at MSG. All the virtue signalling from AEW about health care and equal pay and opportunities for women.

WORST TELEVISION SHOW:
    Ring of Honor

Aye, terrible show, but so is Raw and SD too.

WORST MATCH OF THE YEAR:
    Bray Wyatt vs. Seth Rollins - Hell in a Cell

It's honestly the worst of the decade.

WORST FEUD OF THE YEAR:
    Becky Lynch vs. Ronda Rousey vs. Charlotte Flair

Yep, should of gotten more votes on this site for worst feud.

WORST PROMOTION OF THE YEAR:
    ROH

Yeah hard to argue against it, although Progress have been dire most of the year.

WORST GIMMICK:
    Bray Wyatt - The Fiend
    Really is shite.

Thread Information