Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best title reigns of the decade

WAKE UP

Status

Best title reigns of the decade

Eras are often defined by notable title reigns by top superstars of their time. In decades gone, you could point to big title runs that were known for their quality, their positive business impact, or for other historical significance. The 2000s will for me be synonymous with runs such as Bryan's Danielson's ROH title reign, Kenta Kobashi's GHC title reign, and John Cena's big run through most of 2007.

So what are the best title reigns of the 2010s? I am really drawing a blank on anything that comes close to the ones above or of previous eras.

The only one spring to mind is Zack Sabre Jr's EVOLVE title run, but even then I'd probably only go to bat for half of those title matches.

Stylebender

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Re: Best title reigns of the decade

Is this only counting long reigns? Or is it the best reigns in terms of enjoyment?

WAKE UP

Status

The question is which were the best, but that and length often they go hand in hand.

The EST of WC

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

I feel like there were a bunch of pretty solid title reign in WWE (Punk 2012 - 2014, AJ Styles 2017 - 18, Bryan 2018 & Kofi 2019) but no truly amazing or truly memorable reigns. Punk's should have been incredible and in the grand scheme of things could be considered the best in the last decade for the E, but they had him play second fiddle to Cena for the majority of it which takes away its shine.

Most of the earlier NXT reigns were pretty enjoyable (Neville, Owens & Balor) but they really took a nosedive by the middle of the decade.

Hail To The King

Status
      Country                    United States

Pete Dunnes and Shayna Baszler come to mind

Spoiler:

CWA World Heavyweight Champion
    Brayden Bridges

[Speak Like A Child]

Status
      Country                    England

Ronda's Women's title reign and Cena's US Title Open Challenge run were the first that came to mind. Good to great matches that elevated the belt itself by the time they were through.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

The EST of WC

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Quote Originally Posted by OMB View Post
    Pete Dunnes and Shayna Baszler come to mind
    Dunne is a shout, I feel like Shayna's (2nd) was hurt by going on too long. Ronda's was killed by the terrible Wrestlemania build and ultimately lackluster ending.

Can't argue with Cena's US run. Easily made the US title the most relevant it had been in years.

Glitching It

Status
      Country                    UK

Cena’s US Title run immediately came to mind for this.

I also really enjoyed Cesaro’s US Title run in 2012-13 as well.

I also feel like Mark Henry’s WHC run in 2011 was really fun, and it was a shame that it was cut short, but Bryan’s first run afterwards was awesome too. And following on from THAT, Sheamus’s 2012 run was really enjoyable and he was my favourite guy in WWE around that time. From when Edge retired up to when the belt was retired at the end of 2014, I really enjoyed a lot of the WHC reigns, come to think of it.

As it’s so recent, people will probably discount it, but Jericho as Le Champion has been really fun, too.

Vote for WC’s Favourite Video Game of the 2010’s!
    CLICK HERE FOR THE COUNTDOWN!

creatively drained artist

Status
      Country                    Turkey

I loved Punk's 434. I was a huge Punk mark back then, and it contained some bangers with Bryan, Cena, introduction of The Shield and a feud where Punk outshined The Rock on the mic.

And I know it's kind of a divisive reign amongst those who are more experienced Puro fans, but Okada's record-breaking title reign will be one of the defining reigns of 2010s, another reign I also loved.
    Du bindest einen Blumenkranz...
    ...wieso siehst du so traurig aus?

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

I'm gonna combine the two reigns because William Eaver only won the title for the history reasons and Scurll won it right back but Marty Scurll's progress title run(s). Good Ospreay match for the initial win. Good matches with Haskins, Hero (one of the better matches in the Euro scene), Mark Andrews. He had maybe the best Thunderbastard of the lot. The matches weren't great against Tommy End but the storytelling was fab. He's comes to mind.

Okada's 16-17 title reign as well. Mileage may vary on long matches (I don't really mind them) but yeah, this is the one that connects the most. Almost every match was a big hit, with maybe on exception. Maybe a bit overwrought but the matches were still good. Very successful as well. The only bad part was that the Omega win didn't really mean much in the long run as his run had clear backstage problems with Omega not wanting to do certain tours and eventually leaving but yeah. The run is a classic, imo.

Thoughts on some of the other mentioned title runs:

Cena's US title run had some good matches but the weekly epics kinda grew tiresome for me and in hindsight, they aren't matches I'll be willing to overlook too soon.

Punk's title run had some good stuff. I don't like the Jericho feud. They don't connect with me. The Bryan feud is marred by AJ Lee's presence and one of their matches really stunk. The rest of the run was him being an afterthought and then being a pawn to Cena's return to the title.
    Last edited by MC 16; 12-20-2019 at 06:25 PM.
    We Don't Confrom, Kiss Ass Or Get Married
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!
    NJPW Threads

MADMIN KING

Status

Punk's long WWE title reign felt important at the time, but it really does wobble at points. Feuding with Johnny Clown shoes, the stuff with Ryback, Kane interrupting the Bryan feud. It wasn't all good stuff and almost tarnished with having so many of his matches not be the main event. When it comes to the WWE Championship, I think the best reign someone has had this decade with it was AJ Styles' first run that's more condense than his 2nd run, but he feels like a huge star first time around on Smackdown Live's glory days and simply put his matches are much better.

Daniel Bryan's US title reign from 2010-2011 > John Cena's PWG title run in 2015.

I think one that goes under the radar is Bayley's NXT womens title run. It starts with a MOTYC and a massive moment in womens wrestling, it leads to the first ever women's main event at takeover and another great match, you get a different kind of challenge with Nia Jax at Takeover London, it ends with another great takeover match with Asuka to put over the next big star of the brand, and in between there's these surprisingly fun TV matches with bottom rung girls like Carmella and Eva Marie where she comes across as a great champion and role model for younger fans. For me that's better than Asuka's title run that lasted a lot longer because Asuka never really brought anyone up to her level (maybe Ember) and they booked her in multi-man matches too much.

I'm sure some will point to Okada in New Japan, but for me he's had so many runs with the title they all merge into one and the matches aren't all good. His long ass title run that everyone points to in 2017-2018 also coincides with killing interest in Tetsuya Naito as IWGP Heavyweight Champion so it's not all roses there. One that jumps out to me from NJPW was Hiromu's run with the Jr title in 2017 that was hit after hit.

Walter was great as a champion wherever he went, but in OTT he was perfection.

Would probably not come off very well on a rewatch in 2019 where I can't tolerate him, but Jimmy Havoc in Progress is certainly one of the most important title reigns of the decade when you think it lead to the rise in British Wrestling, the emergence of Will Ospreay, created a career for Jimmy Havoc to milk forever. To be honest it's hard to imagine things like NXT UK would exist if it wasn't for Havoc putting Progress Wrestling on the map.
    Last edited by Ed; 12-20-2019 at 06:43 PM.

People's Champion

Status

Roddys PWG run was fantastic. Young Bucks tag title reigns in ROH and PwG were both great
    Proud Member of the PC Master Race.

WAKE UP

Status

Punk's reign was important but wasn't a GREAT reign. The only matches that were great were the Bryan and Cena matches.

Ronda's reign was good. For women I'd also say Shayna's was good but it's a bit misleading because she had 2 reigns that feel like one big long reign. Asuka's and Bayley's were very strong booking-wise but I wouldn't say either were that great.

The long Okada reign also feels like one that was important for it's legnth but really wasn't that good in terms of quality.

The bar for this decade feels really low.

[Speak Like A Child]

Status

The problem I keep coming to is even if I enjoyed large elements of a reign, I can still find big problems with it.

Brock's 1st World title run is a good example, memorable moments, great matches and a really well built up aura around the champ. However, he was off TV too regularly, he ultimately didn't use that aura to put anyone over, and it feels like it set a bad precident for the next few Brock reigns.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Fearless University

Status
      Country                    New Zealand

Miz's 2016 IC Title run immediately comes to mind. This is where he finally won peoples respect as a Pro Wrestler and had the only good IC Title run in what feels like forever.

I've enjoyed most of Brocks World Title runs as well.
    Last edited by ETE; 12-21-2019 at 07:28 PM.

GABRIELLE
    Reborn in a Trial By Fire

The E-Fed & BTB BRUH!

Status

Jay Lethals ROH TV Championship reign was something special. Prob the last time I watched ROH. Has any wrestler in the decade made the companies 2nd title feel that important?

Spoiler:

[04:46 AM] Punk Wolf: Willis is our Modern-Day Jesus.
    [06:15 AM]Baldwin: Ily Willy
    [05:35 PM]Jon Snow: Willis, your misogyny must be put to an end.
    [06:57 PM]
    Jim: I like Willis more and more with each day
    [04:43 PM]Jim: Which is why Willis > Natural
    [06:06 AM] King Carl: hes like a roman reigns
    [06:06 AM] King Carl: willis has the raw sex appeal tho
    [11:18 AM]Order: I LOVE BIG WILLY

People's Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Woke Willis View Post
    Jay Lethals ROH TV Championship reign was something special. Prob the last time I watched ROH. Has any wrestler in the decade made the companies 2nd title feel that important?
    That was a super great reign. Im going to rewatch some of that!!!
    Proud Member of the PC Master Race.

Hail To The King

Status

Kurt Angle TNA title run with matches with Joe

Spoiler:

Brayden Bridges

King EC

Status

Quote Originally Posted by OMB View Post
    Kurt Angle TNA title run with matches with Joe
    You got the wrong decade partner.

Kurt Angle and Samoa Joe wrestled for the TNA World Championship a grand total of zero times in the 2010s.
    ​​​​​​​​ 2019 King of Wrestling Clique

HOW ABOUT YOU READ THESE THINGS?

WC's Greatest Superstars in WWE History
    Burn It Down!: The Top 25 Matches of Seth Rollins' Career

VOTE IN TICKET WARS VII - ROUND 2!!
    Zero vs. Ed
    Shock vs. Smooth Jazz Wolf

Hail To The King

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The EC View Post
    You got the wrong decade partner.

Kurt Angle and Samoa Joe wrestled for the TNA World Championship a grand total of zero times in the 2010s.
    Damn its been that long :o

How bout New Day Tag Title Reign

Spoiler:

Brayden Bridges

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information