Thread: WWE NXT Discussion - December 18, 2019

King EC

Status
      Country                    United States

WWE NXT WWE NXT Discussion - December 18, 2019

WWE NXT Preview
    December 18, 2019

NXT Champion Finn Balor vs. Adam Cole kicks off NXT and will be presented commercial free!

After defeating Keith Lee and Tommaso Ciampa in a wild Triple Threat Match, Finn Bálor has earned the right to challenge NXT Champion Adam Cole tonight on USA Network. The NXT Championship Match will kick off the show live at 8/7 C, and will be presented commercial-free.

Bálor has made it clear that his past was hisfuture upon his return to NXT, but Cole and The Undisputed ERA thought the first-ever Universal Champion was on their side at first. However, Bálor made it clear that he was running solo when he blasted Cole with a surprise Pele kick.

Now, Bálor will get the opportunity to show Cole, The Undisputed ERA and the NXT Universe that he runs the black-and-gold brand. Will Bálor do just that and become a two-time NXT Champion, or will Cole ensure that The Undisputed ERA continue to reign supreme?

Rhea Ripley gets her NXT Women's Championship match against Shayna Baszler

Rhea Ripley wanted a match with Shayna Baszler. She’s getting it tonight during NXT on USA Network, when the two square off for Baszler’s NXT Women’s Championship.

Though The Nightmare let the champion know she was coming for her last week, Ripley was focused on getting payback on Dakota Kai for her betrayal at TakeOver: WarGames. That gave Baszler the opening to send a message to the fast-rising Superstar. The Submission Magician put Ripley to sleep with the Kirifuda Clutch, then told The Nightmare that though Ripley wanted a title match, Baszler wanted it more, setting the date for their showdown.

Can Ripley put an end to Baszler’s incredible run as NXT Women’s Champion, or will Baszler continue to dominate the black-and-gold brand?

What's next for NXT Cruiserweight Champion Angel Garza

Last Wednesday was a huge night for Angel Garza. Not only did he dethrone Lio Rush to become NXT Cruiserweight Champion, but he also proposed to his girlfriend in the ring after his big win!

After such a life-changing evening, what does the future hold for the new champion?

Will NXT UK continue to impress ahead of World's Collide?

As the clash between NXT and NXT UK at WWE Worlds Collide on Saturday, Jan. 25 draws near, Superstars from the British brand have been crossing the pond to give NXT a taste of what lies ahead in Houston.

While Kassius Ohno came up short against Matt Riddle, Travis Banks made the most of his first USA Network appearance, pulling off a surprising win over The Forgotten Sons’ Jaxson Ryker. Will anyone else from NXT UK make the trek to Orlando on the road to Worlds Collide? Find out on NXT, live tonight at 8/7 C on USA!
    ​​​​​​​​ 2019 King of Wrestling Clique

HOW ABOUT YOU READ THESE THINGS?

WC's Greatest Superstars in WWE History
    Burn It Down!: The Top 25 Matches of Seth Rollins' Career
    Spoiler:

3rd Degree WC HallofFamer

Status

Re: WWE NXT Discussion - December 18, 2019

Main event was really good I was pretty scared it was gonna go the way of the usual Bayzler win but they swerved me and Ripley looked like a million bucks. Hell of a moment with the ring filled up celebrating with her. Also kudos on her for selling the injuries during her celebration I know alot of you guys are big on that type of thing. Also really loved the moment when everyone is in the ring and her and Candace just subtly hold hands for a few seconds. It was a great little moment between the two.
    Last edited by Booty Vice; 12-18-2019 at 11:37 PM.

Spoiler:

Status

Kushida v Grimes 2 was a hell of a match. Never liked him as Trevor Lee but I've really dug his NXT stuff and his gimmick is subtle enough and pretty rad.

Spoiler:

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Pretty fun show.

I liked the opener, Kushida/Grimes, Dain/Priest, Dunne/Banks, and the main event. A good story was told in the main event, and I’m glad they finally got the title off of Shayna.

Banner credit: Booty

Rest in power, Flock U
    Rest in power, TCON

Team Cyrus T is Best for Business

Quote Originally Posted by Ed
    Stop the hating of the E-Feds. If you don't like something, that's fine, just ignore it and let the people who do enjoy what they're here on WC to do. Mocking them to make you feel less of a geek for being on a geek on a wrestling forum is lame. If you want to not read their posts, I can fix that for you.

WAKE UP

Status

Shayna vs Rhea was the shit and exactly the type of high we need to finish off the year. Great stuff.

King EC

Status

Yeah, NXT definitely came with the heat this week. Funny though that by the end of the show, Balor/Cole was completely wiped from my memory. Maybe it's because it was the first match, but it still feels like a bad sign. I honestly enjoyed Grimes/KUSHIDA and Dunne/Banks more than the NXT Championship match.

The main event was superb and a worthy ending to Shayna's reign of doom. I won't look back fondly on her as champion but at the same time I have to admit that her stranglehold on the belt has made her feel like one of the biggest things going in all of WWE this year, for better or worse. Now we're on to greener pastures from my perspective with Rhea as champ. She deserves this rub in a major way. Her presence and potential to be a megastar is undeniable. If you had a line up of all the women in WWE, I bet 9/10 people would point out Ripley as the most impressive looking of the bunch. As she showed once again tonight, she has the tools in the ring to back up her larger than life appearance so she should be well on her way to one hell of a career. Congrats to her and kudos to WWE on pulling the trigger.

Spoiler:

MADMIN KING

Status
      Country                    England

Main event was great, had everything I wanted out of it and the last few months they've got their booking right with Rhea to create the next big star in womens wrestling. I think they lucked out a little with Shayna's second, very long title reign because there were moments I thought they should of made the title change and they were holding on too long to the detriment of their own division, but Rhea ultimately switched brands and they had the perfect woman to beat Shayna with.

Cole Vs Balor was your classic 2019 Takeover performance over the NXT title where I'll be damned if I can remember anything that actually happened outside of they went crazy in the last 5 minutes. There was no story and no reason to care for either man in the match. heel vs heel was the wrong route to go, especially with two very similar wrestlers who can only really go for one style in a match, but good on Trips for at least seeing that it wasn't the right choice for main event.

I'm really turning the corner on Grimes now, I'm starting to appreciate him more and even the gimmick is slowly winning me over. Really good match with KUSHIDA (would love to see him against Garza soon).

Dain and Priest need to just move away from each other now, I'm tired of seeing them face off.

For an NXT show without Riddle, Lee, Strong or Garza, this was a really good episode.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Grimes vs Kushida was good. Getting him over as a TV act will only be a good thing for when it's time to do Takeovers. Same with Kushida. Need to see the main event though.
    We Don't Confrom, Kiss Ass Or Get Married
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!
    NJPW Threads

The EST of WC

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

That main event was great and the ending was perfect. Nice way to see out the year for NXT.

The rest of the show was pretty fun. Grimes/Kushida was a really good match and like others Grimes is really starting to win me over. He was given a pretty shit gimmick but he's making the most of it. Dunne/Banks was tons of fun too. Good match to build the World Collides tour.

Balor/Cole really did feel like a distant memory by the end of the show which is pretty much in line with how the world title has felt all year long. Cole isn't a terrible wrestler, but he's reign has been totally forgettable from an in ring POV. The Gargano matches were awful and the matches with Balor & Dunne were ok but just plain forgettable. Hopefully Lee, Riddle or Ciampa will take the title from him soon enough.

King EC

Status

It is interesting that they have Cole touting himself as the greatest NXT Champion in history. I mean, of course a heel is gonna say that, but the commentators agree with it and put him up on this pedestal. And at the same time, he's been a part of these historic moments, like wrestling Bryan and Rollins for the title on Smackdown and Raw, and defending the belt at Survivor Series. All the while, NXT is making the jump to cable, which is obviously one of the biggest things to ever happen to the brand. All around, they'd have you believe this is the best year in NXT history.

And yet, for the first time since NXT transitioned from a reality show to a development brand, I'm not sure they'll win any end of year awards. I can't think of any TakeOver show this year that could win best supercard. No match comes to mind for Match of the Year. No feuds that I could see winning best feud. None of the actual wrestlers themselves jump out as candidates to win any awards (though I slid a vote to one of their guys). The Undisputed Era could win best tag team.

But all in all, it feels like a pretty down year for the brand, right? It's still possibly the best show on TV but they just haven't those big, definitive moments this year have they? Or is it just me?

Spoiler:

The EST of WC

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

I dunno if it's been a down year....but it's certainly not been a high year for the brand as a whole. I'd say there's a few reasons for that

-NXT has always had one standout division which helped elevate its show and in turn the Takeover shows. This year they didn't have a standout divison (The men's title picture was meh for the majority of the year, The women's had Shayna's reign of death and they shifted out both the Raiders & Streets super quick leaving us with the UE and....the forgetten sons.)

-The Rise in AEW has kinda taken their attention, So rather than trying to put over the talent they slowly adopted the main roster method of trying to put over the brand.

-They shifted out a bunch of top talent and didn't build newer guys quickly enough (Black, Ricochet, War Raiders, Profits...hell Gargano & Ciampa were all but gone too until Ciampa got injured). They also didn't go all in with talent like they have done before. In year's gone past a guy like Riddle would have won and lost the world title by now (again links in with the fact that they seemingly want to push the brand moreso that the stars)

With that being said there are people out there who see Gargano/Cole as a trilogy of 5 star matches so different strokes for different folks.

MADMIN KING

Status

The year itself might not be a super strong one for NXT, but I'm definitely higher on them at the end of 2019 than I was at the end of 2018. Plus I'd argue the womens division has been better this year than last year, certainly in terms of depth and what's happening outside of the title picture.

To have weathered the early autumn AEW storm to be producing the better, more sophisticated, sports like alternative to WWE by the end of 2019 is a W in NXT's book.

Status

NXT is the one brand/show I’m completely invested in again. The only other show I watch every week is Power. It’s been so good lately best it’s been in the last few years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Spoiler:

Thread Information