Thread: AEW Dynamite On TNT - 05/02/2020

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

AEW Dynamite AEW Dynamite On TNT - 05/02/2020

aew-dynamite-696x392.jpg

On tonight's episode of Dynamite, there is a mega tag team match with Elite Members, Young Bucks, Hangman Page and Kenny Omega team together against The Butcher And The Blade and The Lucha Brothers. Also, making her return to AEW, the Princess Of Princess Champion, Yuka Sakazaki takes on the Dentist, Britt Baker DMD. In rare singles action, Ortiz from Proud and Powerful will face #1 Contender, Jon Moxley. In addition, per the stipulation stated by MJF, Cody will receive 10 lashes LIVE on TNT.

We Don't Confrom, Kiss Ass Or Get Married
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!
    NJPW Threads

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Re: AEW Dynamite On TNT - 05/02/2020

This was a really good episode in parts, I thought. The main event segment probably went a little too long but I thought it was really effective for what it was trying to do. It added way more juice to a feud that feels undeserved and got a better genuine sympathetic reaction for Cody.

The PAC segment really showed to me how flat everything is else feels in regards to how it's presented and how much there is to it. With PAC he really goes all in on it and makes you feel the weight of what he is doing. There is conviction behind it which isn't always the case. Him attempting to go for Riho was awesome and him revealing that he was never going to hit her was smart. It ties in the Nyla Rose and Riho feud nicely with this.

I'm not too sure about Omega and PAC in a 30 minute iron man match though. Maybe this is exactly what Kenny needs to shine as a wrestler.

I'm fine with the Bucks not being happy that Page was selfish, that's a usual trope in Wrestling but in a meaningless eight man tag match, it wasn't needed. We didn't really need the Bucks and Kenny talking in the ring for a long time about it. It felt super forced and lacked real conviction, unlike the PAC promo. The tag match itself was super fun and well worth watching.

Kip Sabian vs Janela wasn't good.

Britt Baker breaking Yuka's teeth with the ropes was an awesome heel spot. Made perfect sense as well. I love it. The match was a bunch of nothing though and did nothing for either.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!
    NJPW Threads

Last Real Man Hype

Status

That actually wasn’t a meaningless 8-man though. Continuing the Page/Elite storyline via this mini-feud with Butcher & Blade was the entire point of it, so I find it odd you’re saying that wasn’t needed when it would truly be pointless without.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakstang
    You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Marketh View Post
    That actually wasn’t a meaningless 8-man though. Continuing the Page/Elite storyline via this mini-feud with Butcher & Blade was the entire point of it, so I find it odd you’re saying that wasn’t needed when it would truly be pointless without.
    It certainly wasn't a high stakes match, which is what I meant. Its an eight man tag, which while has relevance to the story, isn't a match that warrants the responds it got. What wasn't needed was the big gesture. Something smaller scale would've been more suited to the match.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!
    NJPW Threads

WAKE UP

Status

God bless Cody Rhodes, truly the best Sports Entertainer going today. That ending segment was fucking great and this is the second time he's got me super invested in a big match I otherwise would not give a shit about.

MADMIN KING

Status

Only watched the closing angle. I always wondered how something like the Tommy Dreamer caning segment would feel in real time because I only ever knew it as something in retrospect that got the guy more sympathy and popularity. This is a little different because Cody's already the most popular guy on the roster, and he does get more sympathy on him, but I think it's going to be remembered more for MJF dishing out the punishment than Cody taking it. I thought MJF was incredible in the segment, it's the best thing he's ever done and there's no doubt he is the biggest dickhead heel in the promotion right now and people can't wait for Cody to get his hands on him. This was a desperately needed segment because I think the feud went cold a month or so ago.

Last Real Man Hype

Status

Quote Originally Posted by MC 16 View Post
    It certainly wasn't a high stakes match, which is what I meant. Its an eight man tag, which while has relevance to the story, isn't a match that warrants the responds it got. What wasn't needed was the big gesture. Something smaller scale would've been more suited to the match.
    I see what you mean, but I still can’t agree. It was a hard-fought match and the Bucks have a back-and-forth rivalry with Lucha Bros, so I think it works that they’re pissed at losing because of Page’s stubbornness, plus I think it’s good that a company that tries to put over wins and losses mattering (with varying success) shows the Bucks selling the frustration of a loss.

But anyway, yeah for the most part a really enjoyable show.

Skipped Janela/Sabian. Alvarez made a good point that the reason this feud isn’t connecting is because we barely got a glimpse of Janela and Ford as a couple, so those not following their real life drama have no reason to be invested in this.

Moxley/Ortiz was solid, Jericho and Sammy were a ton of fun on commentary. Post-match eye-for-an-eye angle was a bit questionable, Moxley has always been a wildcard but right now he’s clearly the top babyface so it felt off to me that he’d do this to somebody other than Jericho, the one who did spike him. But at the same time it might also be inconsistent with his character to take the Gandhi approach. Had to look up Santana’s Twitter because his “it’s no secret this has been the worst month of my life” line was...a secret to me. Obviously he has my sympathy for the loss of his dad, but AEW continues to bug me with how much we’re just expected to know from Twitter. It was a really strong promo otherwise.

Darby Allin’s vignette made me realise how much I need a Darby/Guevara feud now. This is something that could be great for Darby to have a competitive opponent to feud with, opposed to being the underdog all the time.

SCU/Best Friends was a yawn like I expected, even the Orange Cassidy spot I wasn’t digging as much. Best Friends lose via time wasting to do their hug spot, which is why I still don’t understand what the purpose of this gimmick is.

Hangman’s pitcher moment was hilarious. It really is starting to feel like they’ll have to turn the Bucks to preserve Hangman being at his most over as a babyface and finally starting to groove into a character.

The 10 lashes was loooong (obv because they wanted time for the welts to show) but boy was it effective. I hope Brandi’s appearance means they’ve decided to sweep the Nightmare Collective under the rug and just abandon it.

You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

MADMIN KING

Status

I hope Brandi’s appearance means they’ve decided to sweep the Nightmare Collective under the rug and just abandon it.
    On dark this week the the two bald people attacked Kong so I think they might of given up on it thank god.

Last Real Man Hype

Status

I can’t believe deathmatch legend Dr Luther wasn’t the turnaround for the Nightmare Collective angle...

THE HEARTBREAK KID

Status
      Country                    Portugal

I thought the end segment was FANTASTIC with both Cody and MJF shining! Even the people coming down to watch, or show support was really well done. Dustin offering to take the final whips for his brother was a great touch!

Only downside was the final whip felt so anti-climatic but admittedly the kick to the balls hit and run made up for that haha!

Did anyone see the scuffle at the end with that fan trying to get to MJF as well?

"LET ME IN.."

Last Real Man Hype

Status

It was actually Kazarian. I thought it was a fan or plant at first too.

I don’t think there’ll be any followup, there was no mention of it this week. Apparently Kazarian had went off-script because he felt babyfaces should’ve been chasing after MJF.

Curtain Jerker

Status

Didn't know that was Kazarian, thought like everyone else it was a fan. MJF fighting him was in character. Much like what Jericho would do when a fan got in the ring.I agree with everyone with the Kip/Joey feud. It's a bit boring. And between you and me, Penelope & Kip look better together than Penelope & Joey. Hell Joey looks kind of gross if I'm honest.

Thread Information