Thread: Thoughts on another Evolution event?

King EC

Status
      Country                    United States

WWE Thoughts on another Evolution event?

Cast your mind back to a little over a year ago and you may recall this little show called Evolution. It was an unprecedented, historic, first time ever, groundbreaking, ceiling shattering, mind blowing, landmark, iconic PPV that featured exclusively women performers! All thanks to Stephanie McMahon of course. There were many skeptics who were ready to write off this event including one particular beta male who guaran-damn-teed it would be the worst WWE show of the year! Well, he was wrong. Even the toughest critics of the show would have to admit it was actually very solid and surpassed many of the traditional PPV events of 2018. Personally, the Last Woman Standing Match between Charlotte and Becky was one of my favorite matches of the year and Ronda vs. Nikki Bella was surprisingly good too.

Now here we are, November 2019 and we've still yet to have Evolution 2019. Or would we call it Evolution 2? Evolution Part Deux? Evolution II: The Golden Army? Whatever it would be called... we're still waiting for it. WWE themselves are yet to confirm it will even happen but there have been reports and rumblings all throughout the year that it may or may not happen. Now me personally, I want to see it happen.

I get it, Ronda isn't with the company right now. Trish retired for good at SummerSlam (allegedly). The Bella Twins might not be available this time around. Well I say who the hell cares about that? WWE has more than enough talent across four brands to pull off a second event and it's not like they've ever had trouble coming up with big names when they need them. And besides that, you just had the first PPV last year, what does it say about your faith in and dedication to the women's roster that you're already brushing this thing to the side? In the last year(ish) you've done the first all-women's PPV, you've created these new tag titles for the women, and we even had a women's WrestleMania main event. That's awesome. But now you have to keep that same energy to really prove to people that all that isn't just for show. At least that's how I look at it.

How does everyone else feel? Does there need to be another Evolution PPV? Do you see it coming and, if so, when? And if you're in favor of running the show again, what matches would you like to see featured on the card?
    ​​​​​​​​ 2019 King of Wrestling Clique

HOW ABOUT YOU READ THESE THINGS?

WC's Greatest Superstars in WWE History
    Burn It Down!: The Top 25 Matches of Seth Rollins' Career

Fearless University

Status
      Country                    New Zealand

Re: Thoughts on another Evolution event?

The issue to me is, is there any big matches?

Outside Bayley vs Sasha if WWE ever actually pulls the trigger on that is there any big matches they could stack the card with? All the other Horsewomen feuds have been run into the ground. Embers out (not that's she's a big deal), the Bellas are done and Nikki's neck is no good, Trish is supposedly done for good, Asuka is losing matches to Natalya...in 2019.

Sure they can put on some matches that only the most hardcore of hardcore fans will give a shit about like NXT chick vs Main Roster chick.

But where's the "draw cards?".

I cant think of any headlining matches they could realistically put on.

As much as I loathe the tournament, I think it could actually be a great idea if the next Evolution would be the first ever Queen of the Ring PPV. It'd give the WWE a new HISTORIC first time ever event to hype relentlessly and give the PPV some structure instead of having to figure out how to come up with a bunch of matches with important backstories. With the QOTR tournament and title matches of the Raw, Smackdown, NXT, NXT UK, and WWE Women's Tag Titles, it'd fill up the entire card. Ideally, you'd want to wait until Ronda was back to run such a show, but I do think it helps that some of the non-main roster women are going to be receiving some bigger spotlight with Survivor Series this year. So in theory, someone like Shayna Baszler is going to matter more after Survivor Series than she did going into the PPV. That will help with the star power of Evolution 2.

King EC

Status

Quote Originally Posted by ETE View Post
    The issue to me is, is there any big matches?

Outside Bayley vs Sasha if WWE ever actually pulls the trigger on that is there any big matches they could stack the card with? All the other Horsewomen feuds have been run into the ground. Embers out (not that's she's a big deal), the Bellas are done and Nikki's neck is no good, Trish is supposedly done for good, Asuka is losing matches to Natalya...in 2019.

Sure they can put on some matches that only the most hardcore of hardcore fans will give a shit about like NXT chick vs Main Roster chick.

But where's the "draw cards?".

I cant think of any headlining matches they could realistically put on.
    You're right about all that. My first instinct as far as the main event goes would be a fatal fourway or tag team match with all the Horesewomen. It's not original, but it's the biggest thing they could do. Then for the sake of getting "lengends" in there, maybe do The Kabuki Warriors defending against Laycool? Assuming it doesn't happen like... this month... Nia Jax will be back soon and if they come up with some way to make a splash with her return, her in a big match could spur some interest, I think. And like Jim said, there will be plenty of women's representation at Survivor Series so ideally they could plant some seeds there and also get a few more of the more underexposed acts over for if/when this event takes place. No matter what, that Ronda hole is going to be impossible to fill, but it's not going to help matters just saying "yeah, none of our women are good enough so we're not doing the show".
    ​​​​​​​​ 2019 King of Wrestling Clique

HOW ABOUT YOU READ THESE THINGS?

WC's Greatest Superstars in WWE History
    Burn It Down!: The Top 25 Matches of Seth Rollins' Career

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by ETE View Post
    Asuka is losing matches to Natalya...in 2019.
    As ridiculous as IWC folks think this is, and perhaps rightfully so, it's important to remember that Natalya a) just wrestled in the first women's match ever in Saudi Arabia and b) is a fantastic corporate shill, as evidenced by her comments regarding the flight delay. Sometimes it's not your in-ring skill that gets you pushed, it's your ability to toe the company line and act like a representative for them in the public spotlight.

Now, that aside, I agree with Jim's idea of using a second Evolution show to run a tournament. That's about the only way I'd see it working at this point, though WWE could always just throw a bunch of matches together for "reasons" and run it that way.

Ask Fuji|2020 Movie Log

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

Status

At first glance I thought this thread was asking about a second Evolution stable, which got me thinking of how perfectly Triple H and Randy Orton could fill the roles of Ric Flair and Triple H respectively, and then they find two up-and-comers to be their goons for Evolution II: Still a Mystery BTW.

As for the actual subject of this thread, I am by and large always in favor of getting the women more screen time and the first Evolution was such a bonafide success from an entertainment standpoint it's certainly hard to say no too. I'd like it to get a different name this time, so we can get away from the Women's Revolution bullshit and start normalizing the idea of women just having their own show, but otherwise I'd say full speed ahead with another go at this. I don't particularly care if there aren't any good "dream matches" lined up, best way to get new women over is to put the spotlight on them. Book it tomorrow and I'd be happy.

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread | Silk's Degrassi Recaps
    WC Rumble Winner 2017, Comic and Game Dork, Mafia Overlord, #Iconic

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

[footnote: Is now the longest reigning WWE Champion in Smackdown history]

WC Hall of Famer

Your Favourite Member's Favourite Admin

Status
      Country                    England

The first one was the ppv of the year in 2018, and it wasn’t just a case of the ‘draw’ matches doing well, the Sasha, Bayley, nattie vs riot squad match was very good for example. I think they’ve missed an open goal by not running another one this year, and with a bit of decent booking you can put a good card together. Monday’s raw showed that it they didn’t have to do a flimsy brand specific 3 way at survivor series, then Becky vs Shayna would of been a big match to run.

Lets be real, it’s a network special, PPVs don’t really matter anymore, wwe can put whatever two women they want on top and there will still be interest in the show. You don’t need Ronda Rousey to have an evolution II.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The EC View Post
    Cast your mind back to a little over a year ago and you may recall this little show called Evolution. It was an unprecedented, historic, first time ever, groundbreaking, ceiling shattering, mind blowing, landmark, iconic PPV that featured exclusively women performers! All thanks to Stephanie McMahon of course.
    I feel like you are providing insufficient superlatives to really properly describe this show. A few more are obviously warranted, and maybe even a lot more, before you run the risk of treading near to the territory of hyperbole.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

People's Champion

Status

id rather a 205 live ppv instead
    ROH!!!ROH!!!ROH!!!

Quote Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
    id rather a 205 live ppv instead
    There's like six members of the 205 Live roster left.

People's Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    lol it can still work!!!!!!
    ROH!!!ROH!!!ROH!!!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Three Iron Man matches. Done.

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread | Silk's Degrassi Recaps
    WC Rumble Winner 2017, Comic and Game Dork, Mafia Overlord, #Iconic

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

[footnote: Is now the longest reigning WWE Champion in Smackdown history]

WC Hall of Famer

I regret nothing

Status
      Country                    UK

Quote Originally Posted by Silk View Post
    Three Iron Man matches. Done.
    I’d go for 2/3 Falls instead. We’ve had barely any of those lately.

Vote for WC’s Favourite Video Game of the 2010’s!
    CLICK HERE FOR THE COUNTDOWN!

The Maniacal Martyr

Status

I would like another evolution ppv, I also dont mind a cruiserweight 205 event either.

TUFF

Status

I don't see why not. Especially now with the NXT roster having a presence on both shows. They can definitely go a few ways to pair the champions in a triple threat, easy thing to do. Hell, bring back Ronda for this lol.

Tough times don't last, tough people do.

Thread Information