View Poll Results: Who Will Leave WK 14 As Both IWGP HW And Intercontinental Champion?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kota Ibushi

3 50.00%
  • Tetsuya Naito

1 16.67%
  • Kazuchika Okada

1 16.67%
  • Jay White

1 16.67%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 14

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Re: NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 14

ITS STONE COLD STEVE OKADA

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    I thought Naito/White fucking sucked. Gotta love a long leg work mid section that meant nothing by the end.

ospreay/hiromu was great.
    Just missed Ospreay vs Hiromu but will check out the rest of the show later.

I actually really enjoyed the drama of Naito vs White to a degree but Naito's knee magically working again is always a good story as well.

Quote Originally Posted by CGS View Post
    They’re much more likely to give Naito a 1 day reign than give Ibushi a 1 day reign for sure. Plus they’ve had enough false starts with Naito over the years...whats another one?
    True. I suppose that works if Ibushi wins but Okada? I don't know. I think Naito is due his moment but they might go the Okada route as well. I suppose that's what makes it so exciting is knowing any 3 of them could be champ champ tomorrow.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Admin in Lockdown

Status
      Country                    England

Quote Originally Posted by RainShaker View Post
    ITS STONE COLD STEVE OKADA
    great entrance tbf

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    great entrance tbf
    Absolutely.

White boots too. It's over for Ibushi.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

The trunks are weird. Will need to get used to them. And yes, that's pretty much the end for Ibushi

Status

Quote Originally Posted by MC 16 View Post
    The trunks are weird. Will need to get used to them. And yes, that's pretty much the end for Ibushi
    Though would Okada do an entrance like that on N1?

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Status

both guy's necks are going to be fucked for a while after that

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Admin in Lockdown

Status

Omg they are doing okada vs Naito!

i liked that a lot even though 5 rainmakers was overkill.

The EST of WC

Status

Lol Okada is walking out as the double champ tomorrow isn’t he?

Hail To The King

Status
      Country                    United States

I hope not rather see Naito as the champion. I wonder if in the end this is all to set up Ibushi vs. Okada

Spoiler:

CWA World Heavyweight Champion
    ​Brayden Bridges

Admin in Lockdown

Status

Quote Originally Posted by CGS View Post
    Lol Okada is walking out as the double champ tomorrow isn’t he?
    Hopefully, LIJ tears taste so sweet.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

When I look at how the Okada vs Ibushi match made me feel compared to Naito vs White, I'm like fuck Naito. I'm all for Okada winning. Ibushi needs to win the title this year at least. He was incredible in that match. Ice cold killer Ibushi >>>>>
    Last edited by MC 16; 01-04-2020 at 09:33 AM.

Status

I'm all for Okada winning too because I just don't think Naito's very interesting long term as champion.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

WAKE UP

Status

The Liger tag had some fun moments and I enjoyed how over Fujinami was and Sasuke generally being wonderful. Felt short and Taguchi getting the win felt like the least desirable outcome to me. Really should have had Kanemoto in his spot.

Moxley vs Archer was a fine if unspectacular plunder brawl. They hit each other hard and did enough spots but it never became anything memorable. The bag spot was a novel idea but Moxley surviving it felt a bit unrealistic. Look forward to Moxley vs Juice III.

Ospreay vs Hiromu had some good gymnastics routines but was a pretty mediocre wrestling match. It got better towards the end of course but still did nothing for me. Hiromu's new finisher looks appropriately contrived.

Naito vs White had a couple good sections but taken overall was pretty ass. White picking apart a limb: exciting. White doing low-end heel antics and relying on Gedo interference and ref bumps: tedious. Naito also didn't bother to sell the leg injury after the big submission escape and the Destino out of nowhere felt really easy after how much he was struggling to hit it earlier.

I enjoyed Okada vs Ibushi towards the end but it's a shame it took us nearly 40 minutes to get there when the first half was typical all filler. Very little in the way of any story-telling until the final third and most of the action was pretty by the numbers until then. If they could shake the length = epic mindset and trim matches like this down to ~20-25 minutes we'd get a much more focused match. It was interesting they played it as Ibushi as the guy who seemed destined to win and Okada had to make the big comeback and win to play spoiler.

This felt a lot like a Wrestlemania in that you come for the big moments and the matches are secondary, only they feel like the need to go long and do a bunch of finishers to tick the "epic classic" box. The last truly great match at the Dome was Nakamura vs Ibushi.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

I wanted Ibushi to win because I would have rather seen Ibushi vs Naito again, but it was still a super good match between Okada and Ibushi. I don’t see Naito winning the Night 2 main event though, I’ll be pulling for him but if Okada wins I won’t be mad either because I like both guys.

Mox/Archer was a lot of fun as was Ospreay/Takahashi and the Liger opening tag, I couldn’t get into White and Naito.

Rest in power, Flock U
    Rest in power, TCON

Team Cyrus T is Best for Business

Quote Originally Posted by Ed
    Stop the hating of the E-Feds. If you don't like something, that's fine, just ignore it and let the people who do enjoy what they're here on WC to do. Mocking them to make you feel less of a geek for being on a geek on a wrestling forum is lame. If you want to not read their posts, I can fix that for you.

All About That Ace

Status
      Country                    Canada

Decided to watch this today.

Happy FinJuice won. Bullet Club is trash. Sad Ishii doesnt have a singles match.

Mox/Archer wasnt brutal enough. Decent finish tho.

Takahashi/Ospreay was good but I didnt really care about any pin finish attempt because nothing mattered till Takahashi did his new shitty finisher. Pretty great match otherwise but had a hard time being invested in the finish attempts.

White/Naito is my MOTN. I dont need to see Naito wrestling like hes in a WWE 2K video game and hobbling around. If he decides to accept the pain and push through, Im fine with that. He still struggled in many moments because of his knee. People always go over the top with the criticism of limb selling when they dont act like theyre completely crippled and they slightly recover to put on a good ending.

I've never been excited to watch Okada on offense. No personality. 99% Piledrivers & wrist holding. Still has one of the shittiest finisher of a world champion ever. A fucking clothesline. I was ready to turn off this match till Ibushi went emotionless and started beating the shit out of him but it didnt last long enough. Disappointed Ibushi didnt win but I didnt see them going any other way than Okada in the main event of the double title.

Aight show. It wasnt a show thatd bring a casual viewer like me back in. Im not even sure if Ill check out the show tmr.

Admin in Lockdown

Status

Watched the Liger tag (nice, inoffensive stuff) and the Mox/Archer match which I'm less complementary about. That was essentially a WWE plunder match with chairs, tables and kendo sticks more akin to Extreme Rules than Wrestle Kingdom where the only time I raised an eyebrow was for the finish. Oh and the Moxley knees where about six of them in a row that were way off hitting Archer was embarrassing. I get that Moxley loves this type of match, but it's a regression on the stellar work he was doing for the first few matches of his New Japan career and I'd prefer to see him go back to working a match without a reliance on weapons tomorrow against Juice.

I'm not saying I want Naito to wrestle like a one legged man, because there's moments in Ibushi/Okada where they blow off selling to have bursts of offence and I ended up enjoying that, but it still makes that leg focus portion of the match pretty redundant and uninteresting in retrospect that it meant nothing. I think Naito facially never expressing much emotion during his match is linked to this because it doesn't come off at all like he's struggling and fighting through the pain of an injured body part, he just looks like plain old don't give a fuck Naito. I'd be willing to overlook it if they made the rest of the match interesting, but the match started slow and stayed that way for almost 30 minutes. Include the western influence of Gedo interfering, chairshots and low blows and you've got yourself the type of New Japan main event that I hate. It feels like a parody of itself where they ticked all the boxes of the textbook match between these two. Okada/Ibushi was paced much better and felt like the shorter match even when it was pushing 40 minutes.

Not sure how a rainmaker clothesline is the shittiest finisher of a world champion either when he'll be facing a guy tomorrow that rotates around awkwardly around you as you slowly fall onto your back. At least a rainmaker looks like it hurts once the contrived set up is over.
    Last edited by Ed; 01-04-2020 at 09:56 PM.

King EC

Status

Holy fucking shit. NJPW just put put on a masterclass on how to end your biggest show of the year. What a match. And what a post match.
    ​​​​​​​​ 2019 King of Wrestling Clique

HOW ABOUT YOU READ THESE THINGS?

Watching TNA's monthly PPVs from the start
    WC's Greatest Superstars in WWE History

Burn It Down!: The Top 25 Matches of Seth Rollins' Career

Status

gedo did it again the son of a bitch!

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Quote Originally Posted by MC 16 View Post
    When I look at how the Okada vs Ibushi match made me feel compared to Naito vs White, I'm like fuck Naito. I'm all for Okada winning. Ibushi needs to win the title this year at least. He was incredible in that match. Ice cold killer Ibushi >>>>>
    Ignore what I said here. He made me actually care for him. Good stuff. I don't think it's an all time classic like I imagine a ton of people will. I actually vastly prefer their WK 12 match and Anniversary matches but it was a great main event built around drama, cut offs and counters. MOTN, although it's not the best match of the weekend.

Here's a question: What the title win too late? I say yes, he should've won two years ago. Did it hurt the eventual title win? Not really. The crowd popped huge for it and being double champion is hard to match. Given there was a 10K drop on night two, would've it been wise to postpone it further? I think yes and no. On one hand, you can sell out a 4th Dome with that match alone (with more than a days advance) but you can't really postpone it further without it being silly.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information