TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

NJPW NJPW Power Struggle 2019 ~ Super Junior Tag League ~

Power Struggle Match Card - 03/11/2019

IWGP Intercontinental Championship Match: Jay White (c) vs Hirooki Goto

IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship Match: Will Ospreay (c) vs BUSHI

NEVER Openweight Championship: KENTA (c) vs Tomohiro Ishii

Super Junior Tag League Finals: Suzuki Gun (El Desperado & Yoshinobu Kanemaru vs. Roppongi 3K (SHO & YOH)

Tetsuya Naito vs. Taichi

Kazuchika Okada & YOSHI-HASHI vs. Kota Ibushi & Hiroshi Tanahashi

EVIL, SANADA & Shingo Takagi vs. Lance Archer, Minoru Suzuki & Zack Sabre Jr.

Robbie Eagles & Rocky Romero vs. El Phantasmo & Taiji Ishimori

Jushin Thunder Liger, Tiger Mask, Ryusuke Taguchi & Yuya Uemura vs. Volador Jr., Titan, TJP & Clark Connors
    Last edited by MC 16; 11-02-2019 at 09:10 AM.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Re: NJPW Power Struggle 2019 ~ Super Junior Tag League ~

The Birds of Prey matches against Ishimori/Phantasmo and R3K were both really good. Roppongi 3K get another awesome match on their record and the Phantasmo v Ospreay interactions again seem to come out in these matches.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

The Junior Tag tournament has been really good so far. R3K had a great match with Rocky Romero and Taguchi. Volador Jr and Titán are hitting on all cylinders. Ishimori and Phantasmo continue to have great chemistry as a team (which is so bizarre if you think about it). Good stuff. Especially that R3K Vs Rocky/Taguchi match. Borderline MOTYC.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Power Struggle Match Card - 03/11/2019

IWGP Intercontinental Championship Match: Jay White (c) vs Hirooki Goto

IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship Match: Will Ospreay (c) vs BUSHI

NEVER Openweight Championship: KENTA (c) vs Tomohiro Ishii

Super Junior Tag League Finals: Suzuki Gun (El Desperado & Yoshinobu Kanemaru vs. Roppongi 3K (SHO & YOH)

Tetsuya Naito vs. Taichi

Kazuchika Okada & YOSHI-HASHI vs. Kota Ibushi & Hiroshi Tanahashi

EVIL, SANADA & Shingo Takagi vs. Lance Archer, Minoru Suzuki & Zack Sabre Jr.

Robbie Eagles & Rocky Romero vs. El Phantasmo & Taiji Ishimori

Jushin Thunder Liger, Tiger Mask, Ryusuke Taguchi & Yuya Uemura vs. Volador Jr., Titan, TJP & Clark Connors
    R3K vs Suzuki Gun came out the leaders of the blocks. And BUSHI challenged Ospreay to a title show and it's second from top, so I'm hoping a timebomb happens.

Hail To The King

Status
      Country                    United States

Kenta vs ishii is the only thing im gonna watch out of this

Spoiler:

CWA World Heavyweight Champion
    Brayden Bridges

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

He is back~!

Relentless Admin

Status

Yes~!

There were times I doubted he was coming back because 18 months is a long time away (assuming January will be his first match back), but so happy one of the best and most vibrant wrestlers in New Japan is back.

Relentless Admin

Status

Shibata taking bumps again for KENTA. Unless this is a troll job and Goto is going to fight in his friends place, Shibata is wrestling at the dome right?

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

He has to be facing KENTA otherwise its going to be a massive disapointment

Relentless Admin

Status

Totally missed the news that we're getting Jericho Vs Tanahashi on the Jan 5th show. Rules Tanahashi out as a possible Liger opponent. Wonder if they'll make the match for the AEW title or they'll just drop any association to AEW during the program?

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

So yeah. Tanahashi is facing Jericho at Wrestle Kingdom. I didn’t care for it when they teased it at Dominion, especially after the match that preceded it. Jericho vs Tanahashi is obviously a big match for the show to get more people so I get it. But I wanted someone more interesting for Tanahashi to face. Jericho really doesn’t interest me from a wrestling standpoint or a character stand point. Don't expect any AEW mention and from the looks of it, he isn't even the same character.

The closing angle with all four men was really, really awkward. Near enough everyone but Okada got little to no reaction, even Naito. People will say “Osaka is will be Osaka” but they cheered him earlier in the night. The whole interaction was cringe. People never seemed into the idea of a double title match at all until Okada suggested a fan vote. He is a man of the people, clearly.

Taichi/Naito started off well with a nice brawl on the outside. Then Taichi really turned up the intensity. He was way more focus than he usually is. Limited amounts of Taichi schick which the last few Natio matches were filled with. His offence looked really good and he looked great. Taichi really shrugging of the running destino so easily was a total WTF moment. I know the Destino is a weak finish but really? Naito was okay. He took his usual bumps but he was just there. He kind of slept threw the match which is a shame because Taichi was all in on having a good match. The tag league finals was pretty good as well. Had a good start with SuzukiGun attacking at the entrance, taking SHO out for a bit while they double team on YOH. The tag work was really good and the added drama of SHO helped a ton. El Desperado looking great since his return. Him against YOH was awesome.

KENTA/Ishii was basically a more developed version of their Royal Quest match and it was pretty awesome. Stiff strikes galore. There wasn’t much depth to the match past that with even KENTA’s heel work being at a minimum but there was an intensity to the match. Ishii match can really get tiresome (The EVIL match comes to mind as one Ishii match of this ilk that was really, really boring) but it came off better here. The crowd was silent as they usually are for KENTA’s matches, oh well.

Hiromu returning~!. God I missed him. The whole set up for his return was great as was him taking reckless bumps on purpose. Gotta love Hiromu. The pop was absolutely crazy. Ospreay vs Takahashi is going to be amazing. The match was surprisingly good. The finishing stretch was nuts. I even liked BUSHI during it. The crowd really bought into his nearfalls and rallied behind him big time. Although, I still think he was still his usual empty self for the first half of the match. Applying the occasional submissions and random lucha moves. Yeah, it still doesn’t connect with me. But he was a good body for Ospreay to work off and I suppose that’s good enough for me. Ospreay using the mist was great. His offence was wilder than usual which I loved. Good match

Another rinse and repeat main event. Oh well. The finishing stretch was good and gave some interesting developments to Shibata potentially coming back. Shibata has been slowly taking more and more bumps so if he isn’t coming back at WK, there is a possibility of a little later. KENTA vs Shibata would be epic.

The EST of WC

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Hiromu finally back?

Welp I’ve found my reason to keep up with NJPW again!

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    Hong Kong

I've said Shibata was coming back all along & nobody believed. IHe worked his ass off to make this happen. I predict that Goto faces KENTA on the 4th & Shibata faces the winner on the 5th.

Hiromu got a huge pop upon his return, also. They mentioned at the press conference something about him & Ospreay forming a junior faction to fight heavyweights which would be the most interesting thing NJPW's done in forever to me.

The KENTA/Ishii match was the first time in NJPW KENTA hasn't seemed like a shell of himself. By far his best match in NJPW & the MOTN.

The main event sucked. Jay sucks. For all the talk of Rollins being worst of the year, Jay has been a lot worse as a wrestler & there's much more evidence linking him to being a box office negative & interest killer. Obviously it's not all on him but the company has significantly tailed off in interest in the West with him being the most consistently pushed guy outside of Okada this year.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Not really sure you can call Jay White a box office negative when the attendance was better than the last two times they did this building in the G1 (which has Okada/SANADA and Naito/Shingo as the main event). In fact according to cagematch, out of the 4 show in 2019, White has been in the two with the bigger attendances with Tanahashi and Goto as opponents. This show even did better last year with Jericho vs EVIL as the main event.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    Hong Kong

You have to compare things in proper context, not this show to middling G1 shows. Both his Naito matches did less than last year's at the same time & his Goto show was the only one that did well below expectations, even the show main evented by the Jr. Title sold out in fact & in general the company has done well at the gate in Japan, really the only blemishes have been shows he's been put in position to draw in.

This show doing better than last year is a good sign & I'll give him/Goto their due not just because it's fair but because it was a weak card BUT there's also much circumstancial evidence that his push is coming at the same time as decreasing interest in the West & actually more often than not the crowd doesn't take to his matches in Japan outside of special circumstances (IE Okada's return & the G1 Final) which is tangible.

A lot of the stuff is minor anyway but I just brought that up on a whim thinking of him vs. Rollins as worst of the year & I think Jay has much more of a case.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

I wouldn't call it a middling G1 show when they were the best cards outside of the Budokan Hall shows.

Anyway, I think there is a big gap between been a negative draw and being less of a draw than Okada, Tanahashi, Naito, etc. He clearly isn't an negative draw. He has his drawing moments like this show.

And I don't think you can blame New Japan's decrease in popularity in the US on him. New Japan losing Omega and AEW showing up are that reason. At least 90%of the reason anyway.

Relentless Admin

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    I've said Shibata was coming back all along & nobody believed. IHe worked his ass off to make this happen. I predict that Goto faces KENTA on the 4th & Shibata faces the winner on the 5th.
    You did unsuccessfully predict that Shibata Vs Tanahashi was gonna be his return match a few years ago, but you were the first person I remember confidently predicting that he'd be back for a dome return.

The main event sucked. Jay sucks. For all the talk of Rollins being worst of the year, Jay has been a lot worse as a wrestler & there's much more evidence linking him to being a box office negative & interest killer. Obviously it's not all on him but the company has significantly tailed off in interest in the West with him being the most consistently pushed guy outside of Okada this year.
    It's been a while since I've seen someone make a 'well actually Jay White is an excellent wrestler who does the little things really well' type post/speech. I think maybe everyone has given up on the idea this switchblade mega push has been successful.

I agree KENTA/Ishii was good.

WAKE UP

Status

Am I the only one thinks all the KENTA-Ishii matches have been really flat? The pre-mach video made it look like a blood fued with all of the backstage brawls and shit talking, but instead they worked another heatless paint-by-numbers match. Talk about a pairing that should on paper totally click but in real life have no chemistry together.

New Japan has been pretty stale and boring most of this year.

Thread Information