Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Wednesday Night War Thread

Status
      Country                    United States

The Wednesday Night War Thread

Tonight marked the first week of the so-called Wednesday Night War with NXT going head to head with the debut of AEW Dynamite on TNT. It stands to reason that we're in for a very fun ride with these competing companies doing their best to top each other on a weekly basis. In an effort to keep the NXT and Dynamite discussion threads from devolving into arguments about the dueling shows, this thread is being created to compare the shows, voice your support for one or the other (or both, that's cool too) and analyse how the WAR is shaping up. If you could all do your best to refrain from dragging shows you haven't watched, that would be very much appreciated!

So let the games begin.

Who do you all think made the better impression in week one of the Wednesday Night War?
    Last edited by The EC; 10-02-2019 at 10:29 PM.

Mid-Card Champion

Status
      Country                    Canada

Re: The Wednesday Night War Thread

I didn't watch NXT but Ciampa, Balor are huge appearances on the show. They also had a stacked card. I'm more than certain from an in-ring aspect, NXT probably won. The problem as I've stated in the AEW thread however, is that they attempted to counter product by going out of their way to produce a TakeOver-style show, both card wise and presentation wise. Yes, they have a great roster, but it's not sustainable going forward, and they realistically will not put on that type of show week-in and week-out.

AEW however, presented a style that they can present week-in and week-out. They left some of their more over talent off this weeks show (Orange Cass, Darby Allin, Jungle Express), and still managed to put out an easy to sit through, banger of a show. That to me is much more impressive. Did the show have its flaws? Oh, most definitely. They have a lot to iron out, but if the show is already this easy to sit through every week, I can't wait to see how it is when they make the necessary tweaks and adjustments to it.

Both shows were great, short-term W to NXT, long-term W to AEW, biggest W was us as fans tonight.

Jobber

Status

For me its AEW: 1 - NXT: 0

Like what was said above, AEW presented a show that can continue week in and week out while NXT presented basically a watered down Takeover show.

Relentless Admin

Status
      Country                    England

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    I didn't watch NXT but Ciampa, Balor are huge appearances on the show. They also had a stacked card. I'm more than certain from an in-ring aspect, NXT probably won. The problem as I've stated in the AEW thread however, is that they attempted to counter product by going out of their way to produce a TakeOver-style show, both card wise and presentation wise. Yes, they have a great roster, but it's not sustainable going forward, and they realistically will not put on that type of show week-in and week-out.

AEW however, presented a style that they can present week-in and week-out. They left some of their more over talent off this weeks show (Orange Cass, Darby Allin, Jungle Express), and still managed to put out an easy to sit through, banger of a show. That to me is much more impressive. Did the show have its flaws? Oh, most definitely. They have a lot to iron out, but if the show is already this easy to sit through every week, I can't wait to see how it is when they make the necessary tweaks and adjustments to it.

Both shows were great, short-term W to NXT, long-term W to AEW, biggest W was us as fans tonight.
    I've watched neither show so far so take this for what you will, these are just booking insights more than anything.

I agree that the mini Takeovers aren't sustainable, nor do I think Triple H thinks that either. The 3 title matches on a show I'm sure is just stacking the deck against AEW's debut and we won't see the triple title matches booking again for a long time. Where I do think they can see some sustainability is in match quality because there are so many talented wrestlers on the roster, including 205 Live wrestlers who seem to be popping in as and when, that I think they'll always be in with a chance of having a couple very good-great matches every episode because honestly that's what the show used to be like not so long ago, the main events always delivered.

Where I disagree with you is on AEW's template and how could be done week in week out. To me AEW also stacked the deck last night. Every member of the Elite wrestled on the show and so did Chris Jericho, those are AEW's most popular stars right now and if Moxley was fit, he'd of wrestled too. Using all of those guys and benching the majority of your younger roster showed me they were making the effort to make the show as appealing to newcomers as possible by having their 'names' wrestle. Come for the bullet club dudes this week, stay for the promise of the fresh faces in the coming weeks. There's no way Chris Jericho is wrestling every week on TV. PAC Vs Hangman Page literally was a PPV match they had to reschedule and could of saved for Full Gear but felt they needed it more last night and then Nyla Rose Vs Rhio to crown the first ever women's match was the most important womens match to date and would fit perfectly onto a PPV. I don't know, I don't think there was much conservative about AEW last night. I think when we look back on the first month of Dynamite, episode 1 will be the most star studded card compared to other episodes.

Status

Nice thread idea.

Really curious to see how the ratings compare. The chatter seemed to heavily favor AEW in the bubbles I latch onto but hard to guage if that's actually indicative of anything at all.

I really only got to watch the AEW show, which is awesomely being carried on TSN. Even made sure to let Papa Papa know so he can jump on board. I'm sure will be sad that they didn't bring in his all time favorite, The Boogeyman. The WWE Network "channel" is still showing the 1 hour version of NXT with a second hour that is apparently a "watching party" with some NXT talent. That was confusing as fuck at first. so to watch the full show of NXT, I have to two screen. Not quite the channel flipping that some seem so thrilled to be able to do again.

And I agree with Ed - both shows are pretty loaded and unsustainable as presented.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Huggin' and Kissin'

Status
      Country                    Ireland

I'm just gonna judge it on what was the better television show and that's how ill grade it week to week. If NXT blow their load that'll eventually catch up to them. Week 1 was great for both shows but I've no problem saying NXT takes this week.

NXT 1 AEW 0

Relentless Admin

Status

Wow.

Apparently AEW did 1.4m to NXT's 891k. Very strong start from AEW.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Wow.

The cynic in me hopes the trend continues and Vince takes over control of NXT and kills it dead for all of us.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Heel Champion

Status
      Country                    Wales

Wow.

Very strong start but with all new things it needs to match or better it next week.
    I have a plan so cunning......

#HEEL

Status

Score one for the good guys

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Wow.

Ouch. Blew my expectations away.

Relentless Admin

Status

AEW almost tripling NXT's 18-49 demo sort of highlights WWE's young person problem; not even their hip NXT brand is winning over people our age.

Status

I'm not trying to play retroactive genius here so sorry if this sounds like a hot take, but I would have been stunned if NXT had won the night.

New is always better, at least in this case. There's a reason premiere episodes of TV shows are often the best they do unless they turn into hits. People tune in for new things. In this case especially, you're talking a demographic that's hungry for new content, for fresh content, and even if all 1.4 million of those people love NXT, which is totally possible, they're still gonna shove it aside for the night just to see what this new thing is. THEN you pile on that I think most people are used to watching NXT on delay anyway, I don't think even the fact that this was a Takeover-lite card was enough to sway people to watch live for once.

(And in my personal opinion the general staleness of the NXT product definitely didn't help it, in this case. This will obviously vary person to person, but I've loved NXT in the past and had no qualms turning off a triple title match feature for a new show.)

It'll be interesting to see how things fluctuate from here going forward. I wouldn't be shocked at all to see AEW's numbers drop in the coming weeks just because the shine has worn off now, but they may also go up if the thirsty fanbase grows more hungry and word gets out about the product. It can go a couple of ways from here, and how NXT books their product going forward will certainly influence it too. All I'm saying is the week one result doesn't surprise me at all and makes perfect sense. People just wanna see new shit.

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread | Silk's Degrassi Recaps
    WC Rumble Winner 2017, Comic and Game Dork, Mafia Overlord, #Iconic

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

[footnote: Is now the longest reigning WWE Champion in Smackdown history]

#HEEL

Status

Curious what ratings NXT has been doing since moving to USA, and how much they dropped bc of AEW.

Also curious how AEWs first show stacks up against recent RAW and SD ratings, even tho they're obviously not going head to head.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

On paper, the two weeks head start was a good idea but it being only on for an hour then on the network probably hurt it. It wouldn't surprise me if those people that watched for the first time were unaware that both shows were on USA this week.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Curious what ratings NXT has been doing since moving to USA, and how much they dropped bc of AEW.

Also curious how AEWs first show stacks up against recent RAW and SD ratings, even tho they're obviously not going head to head.
    NXT: 891k was down from just a hair over a million a week, and 1.2 million on premiere week. No way of knowing how much of the 100k shed jumped to AEW or if it was just natural atrophy.

Raw has been pulling in about 2.5 million the last few weeks but keep in mind that's with football competition.

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread | Silk's Degrassi Recaps
    WC Rumble Winner 2017, Comic and Game Dork, Mafia Overlord, #Iconic

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

[footnote: Is now the longest reigning WWE Champion in Smackdown history]

Mid-Card Champion

Status
      Country                    Canada

I've watched neither show so far so take this for what you will, these are just booking insights more than anything.

I agree that the mini Takeovers aren't sustainable, nor do I think Triple H thinks that either. The 3 title matches on a show I'm sure is just stacking the deck against AEW's debut and we won't see the triple title matches booking again for a long time. Where I do think they can see some sustainability is in match quality because there are so many talented wrestlers on the roster, including 205 Live wrestlers who seem to be popping in as and when, that I think they'll always be in with a chance of having a couple very good-great matches every episode because honestly that's what the show used to be like not so long ago, the main events always delivered.

Where I disagree with you is on AEW's template and how could be done week in week out. To me AEW also stacked the deck last night. Every member of the Elite wrestled on the show and so did Chris Jericho, those are AEW's most popular stars right now and if Moxley was fit, he'd of wrestled too. Using all of those guys and benching the majority of your younger roster showed me they were making the effort to make the show as appealing to newcomers as possible by having their 'names' wrestle. Come for the bullet club dudes this week, stay for the promise of the fresh faces in the coming weeks. There's no way Chris Jericho is wrestling every week on TV. PAC Vs Hangman Page literally was a PPV match they had to reschedule and could of saved for Full Gear but felt they needed it more last night and then Nyla Rose Vs Rhio to crown the first ever women's match was the most important womens match to date and would fit perfectly onto a PPV. I don't know, I don't think there was much conservative about AEW last night. I think when we look back on the first month of Dynamite, episode 1 will be the most star studded card compared to other episodes.
    I'm going to have to gravely disagree with that here. The only match that felt like it could've been saved for a PPV but wasn't, was Page/PAC. I wouldn't consider having MJF/Cutler, Cody/Sammy, and Nyla/Riho as stacking the deck. I also don't see anything special with Jericho competing, we see Seth in action just about every week, whether its a title defense, a tag match, or singles action. I feel like we Seth for a large chunk of the show in some capacity or another. Whereas Jericho was just placed in a 6-man tag match, that ultimately escalated into an angle where we witnessed the formation of AEW's first faction. If anything, the week 3 show looks like it'll be more stacked than this weeks show since Riho and Jericho will both defend their titles, and we'll have the tag team tournament happening as well.

Status

I want to see what happens after a few weeks with this roster, seems somewhat thin unless they start signing some people. Impressive first week rating, but lets see how they hold up after a few months of shows. We also have to look at their model has to build to high priced PPVs compared to WWE building up to their PPV which is 10 bucks a month. Giving away big matches on regular tv doesn't seem like something AEW can really afford to do.

I see the ratings going down from the opening week, but the penetration they got their first week was obviously great. I think they purposely undersold what they thought they were going to do. Lets be real here they are on a very powerful network TNT, on my cable provider it's literally the next channel from USA network. I really don't see AEW's roster right now even close to the NXT roster, so I want to see if people will tune in for undercard guys fighting week to week. Because like previously mentioned in this thread they can't rely on The Elite and Jericho wrestling every week.

At the same time anything is possible, and maybe AEW does have a hot streak, and continues ratings success over NXT. That's a chance WWE takes with having 3 different shows on tv every week.

Relentless Admin

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    I'm going to have to gravely disagree with that here. The only match that felt like it could've been saved for a PPV but wasn't, was Page/PAC. I wouldn't consider having MJF/Cutler, Cody/Sammy, and Nyla/Riho as stacking the deck. I also don't see anything special with Jericho competing, we see Seth in action just about every week, whether its a title defense, a tag match, or singles action. I feel like we Seth for a large chunk of the show in some capacity or another. Whereas Jericho was just placed in a 6-man tag match, that ultimately escalated into an angle where we witnessed the formation of AEW's first faction. If anything, the week 3 show looks like it'll be more stacked than this weeks show since Riho and Jericho will both defend their titles, and we'll have the tag team tournament happening as well.
    Don’t look at it as these matches don’t seem much on paper, look at it as assessing AEW’s roster and who they picked to use on the first show. Using all of the elite and Chris Jericho was very deliberate and I suspect it could be a while until we see all six men wrestling on the same show again. Same with nxt, velveteen dream aside i’d Say all the major players were in action last night.

jericho and Seth aren’t the same. Seth is in his prime whereas Jericho is late 40s and hasn’t had a schedule like in years. There’s no way jericho is going to wrestle every week, even though he will be apart of the show every week while he’s champion i’d Imagine.

Why wouldn’t Nyla Vs Rhio to crown the first champion be considered worth saving for a PPV match when you compare it to the other women’s matches we’ve had so far from AEW? I’d say it was the biggest women’s match so far. Hell I’d say it was a bigger deal than running Shayna vs Candice with a 2 week build.

Status

I kinda side more with Raye here. I don't think AEW overloaded this show too much at all, and I'm sure they'll have a more star studded show not too far down the road, probably week 3 like mentioned. Just because Jericho can't go every week, that doesn't mean they won't have enough star power to go around. We didn't have matches from Moxley, Spears, Dustin, SCU, Kong or The Lucha Bros this past week and those acts are all pretty well known, with a few of them being legit main eventers. Add Hager in to that mix now too. Cody, Omega and The Bucks can certainly wrestle every week of the year if needed, but I don't think they will be. Didn't AEW say at one point they didn't want to have every wrestler on every show? I think that's a smart move. It keeps wrestlers feeling a bit more important and let's storylines play out a bit slower, thus allowing them to go on for longer. Ratings almost definitely won't hold up to what they did this week but I think the model they used for this show is absolutely sustainable for them and I'd expect them to continue to land in that 900k-1.2M range for the foreseeable future.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information