Thread: NJPW King Of Pro Wrestling 2019

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

NJPW NJPW King Of Pro Wrestling 2019

Match Card

IWGP Heavyweight Championship Match: Kazuchika Okada vs SANADA

G1 Briefcase Match: Kota Ibushi vs. EVIL

IWGP United States Heavyweight Championship Match (No DQ): Jon Moxley vs Juice Robinson

IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship Match: Will Ospreay vs El Phantasmo

Jushin Thunder Liger vs. Minoru Suzuki

Hirooki Goto, Tomohiro Ishii & YOSHI-HASHI vs. Jay White, KENTA & Yujiro Takahashi

Tetsuya Naito, Shingo Takagi & BUSHI vs. Zack Sabre Jr., Lance Archer & Taichi

Hiroshi Tanahashi & Tomoaki Honma vs. Togi Makabe & Toru Yano

Ryusuke Taguchi, SHO & YOH vs. El Desperado, Yoshinobu Kanemaru & DOUKI

--
    A pretty sacked card. I like their matches but I don't really care to see another Okada/SANADA match. Other than that, Liger vs Suzuki, Moxley vs Robinson, Ibushi vs EVIL. Should be a fun show.
    Last edited by MC 16; 09-25-2019 at 01:31 PM.

Admin in Lockdown

Status

Re: NJPW King Of Pro Wrestling 2019

I know it's heated up this last few weeks, but I still figured Liger/Suzuki was being saved for the Dome. Makes a bit more sense they pushed the Kishin Liger button this week then if they are having that match now because they wouldn't of kept up that momentum for 3 more months. I think it's been well built up but I was underwhelmed by the idea of Suzuki being his final opponent so I'm in favour of this.

MOX/JUICE

Sanada/Okada to get the big pass from me. Still haven't watched their G1 match.

On Vacation

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

Yeah I thought for sure Kishin Liger vs Suzuki in the Dome, but I'll take all that chaos that will happen between the two. I stink think with what I wanna see from both guys need more that just a Singles Match. Juice vs Mox 3 should be a wonderful Match, and if Mox hasn't learned anything since his last bout with him he might be dropping his Title. Ibushi vs KENTA I really liked even with all the rough edges it had, so EVIL vs Ibushi will no bs will blow that away and prove EVIL is one of the best in NJPW. I'll be able to deal with Sanada vs Okada just as long as both guys don't waste multiple moments of him asking for the Crowd to battle each other.
    Last edited by Kairi HoHo; 09-24-2019 at 09:41 PM.

WAKE UP

Status

Liger vs Suzuki should be fun if they just go full schtick with it, I'm in.

Thought the first 2 Moxley vs Juice matches were great so looking forward to that.

Could anyone possibly care about Okada vs Sanada again or Ibushi vs EVIL?

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Glad Suzuki vs Liger is on this show. Opens up multiple possibilities for Liger's retirement match.

Okada vs SANADA is pointless since everyone knows who is winning. No point of that match happening unless there is a chance that SANADA wins which there isn't. I can wish they mix it up and go with a shorter match but they insist on doing the long match that doesn't suit SANADA's strengths. Oh well.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

I wonder what they'll do with Moxley. There are rumors that this might be his last New Japan appearance given AEW has now begun TV which was said to be the cut-off points for outside bookings. But Moxley has seemed to enjoyed his run and he could always be an exception to the rule. Juice Robinson probably should come out of this feud champion either way. Moxley, should be stay on, could be in a big match for Wrestle Kingdom against Tanahashi or someone else. Should be an interesting match.

WAKE UP

Status

I’m sure Moxley has said he fully intends to work WrestleKingdom. I’d imagine he’s the level of star who could have negotiated that with AEW.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    I’m sure Moxley has said he fully intends to work WrestleKingdom. I’d imagine he’s the level of star who could have negotiated that with AEW.
    That's good to hear. Moxley has really started to make a fan out of me during this run and it would be a shame to see it end so shortly.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Shingo Takagi vs Toa Henare was awesome. Henare got a ton of Shingo and looked really good too. Best bit about these twos is the 10 minute Henare vs Veteran matches and this was no different. He really needs to step up soon, he has earned it. Shingo kicked ass as per usual. A fun underard match in front of the hot Korakuen Hall crowd.

Okada/Ibushi vs EVIL/SANADA was a really good match. At first, this felt like a house show main event with your greatest hits but it really kicked into second gear after 10 minutes. The match then turned into a really fun and exciting tag match where all guys interacted with each other, had some great team offence, even Okada and Ibushi. Just a fun main event.

Bring On King Of Pro-Wrestling

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

This is going to be awesome. The promos leading upto the match are class. Suzuki calling Liger "Yamada" and revving up the hate has been really great. I think it's safe to assume the Kishin Liger will come out, if not be the start. Liger will win this I think but you know Liger, he could lose.

EVIL vs. Kota Ibushi
    Obvious result but still should be fun match. EVIL in a top(ish) spot is where you really see EVIL shine usually, so I hope that's what he get. Ibushi can still keep his big momentum going with a great performance.

Will Ospreay vs. El Phantasmo
    I think I'm turning the corner of Phantasmo. Really enjoyed everything he has done post the BOSJs. The Royal Quest match ruled, liked his Super J Cup run and the tag match at Destruction was awesome. Hope they show more of that chemistry. I think Ospreay wins though.

Jon Moxley vs. Juice Robinson
    Their BOSJ Final Day match was awesome as was their G1 match. This should be no different. And with the No DQ stipulation added on, the lack of restrictions (like that stopped them last time lol) should be even greater. I think Juice wins it but Moxley could always show up for Wrestle Kingdom, so who knows?

Kazuchika Okada vs. SANADA
    As someone who is actually a fan of the pairing (Dontaku match excluding), I don't want to see the match anymore. Unless they switch it up, which they won't (and the crowd loves what they do, so I get it), this will be business as usual except its even more obvious that SANADA isn't winning going into Wrestle Kingdom. Not sure why they give him title shots that he is obviously not winning. Okada FTW

Admin in Lockdown

Status

Unfortunately, The typhoon has disrupted travel plans and Moxley can’t make it to japan on time. He’s been stripped of the title. Juice vs archer will decide the new champ.
    Last edited by Ed; 10-14-2019 at 05:15 AM.

Admin in Lockdown

Status

Suzuki/Liger was very good, great in the context of a pretty bland New Japan show. I wasn't in love with them going the MMA liger route in the opening minutes because that seemed such a disconnect to the set up to this with Kishin Liger trying to stab Suzuki, but then they picked up the match about 5 minutes in. Cool post match and finishing this up in 1 match suggests the rumours are true and Suzuki isn't sticking around.

Would of actually preferred to see Archer Vs Juice in a normal match rather than just jump into a plunder hardcore match on a match with zero build to it. Good match though and I'm thrilled to see David Finlay is back. Might actually be favourites for the tag league winners.

Ibushi/EVIL was fine but suffered from the predictability of the outcome.

You need your head testing if you think I'm gonna watch Okada/Sanada for ANOTHER 40 minute match.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Finally finished the show. It felt LONG. Best to only watch the most highly recommended matches

Roppongi 3K (SHO & YOH) vs. Suzuki-gun (El Desperado & Yoshinobu Kanemaru)
    I feel like I can say this without it coming across as ironic but this is my favourite New Japan Juniors pairing. Dunno, I just love their matches even though most don’t. Being even better with this being Desperado’s return from injury. He got a nice pop when his music played which warmed my heart. I liked how he played up an injury scare right before sneak attacking R3K. Ha! Welcome back, Despy. This was a fine opener. Nothing too special, just a basic tag match that was designed for Despy’s return.

Hiroshi Tanahashi & Tomoaki Honma (w/Wataru Inoue) vs. Togi Makabe & Toru Yano
    It was interesting seeing Wataru Inoue, former New Japan wrestler, accompanying Tanahashi and Honma for Tanahashi’s 20th Anniversary. He looks good for someone near 50. This was another fine tag match. Tanahashi going against Makabe was fune. The part where Tanahashi was ducking Makabe’s lariat attempts only to nail him with a palm strike was awesome. As was the double Kokeshi spot. Yano had his spots in the match as well. Really fun veterans match. Tanahashi looked great still.

Los Ingobernables de Japon (Shingo Takagi & Tetsuya Naito) vs. Suzuki-gun (DOUKI & Taichi)
    A pretty boring, nondescript match but the crowd were super into Taichi vs Naito. DOUKI got silence... The match had a much better post match angle with Taichi pinning Naito.

One of the most anticipated matches of the year. It’s been building all year and it’s boiled to the point of a borderline hate feud with the two threatening to kill each other, the appearance of Kishin Liger, etc. I loved the addition of Liger coming out to the same attire he used against heavyweights and more importantly, against Suzuki in his MMA fight. It gave the match that extra bit of levity. Love the intensity off the bat. Liger is the best of body language and he shows it here. Suzuki does a ton of his usual stuff like use the chair, to great effect, unleashing a nasty chair shot on Liger’s back. Liger lying down and inviting Suzuki to get join him was a pretty awesome moment and Suzuki doing it back a little later in the match was cool, too. Most of this was Suzuki dominating but Liger’s selling was really good and Liger was great on offence too. Getting some great nearfalls of a brainbuster and even a Thesz Press. Liger’s work on the arm, while brief, looked good and Suzuki using it to get a rear naked choke was a great “false finish”. The finish was rather simple but yet again, it was effective. Suzuki showing respect to Liger after the match was heart warming. Surreal. Liger~!

IWGP Junior Heavyweight Title Match: Will Ospreay (c) vs. El Phantasmo
    I liked the story of Phantasmo going straight, trying to play it cleanly. It was something different and he did it fairly well. I loved how they transitioned out of it too with Ospreay throwing Phantasmo into Gino purposely, like a dick and Phantasmo going “screw it” and hit him with a chair. I would do the same thing. There was some fun mat wrestling early on. It was totally cooperative and very showy but it was fun. We got some pretty cool sequences that I popped for, the crowd was going crazy for it as well. It was turning out to be a pretty great spotfest, it just got off after the scary balcony spot. The match was messy structure wise anyway but it felt like a completely different match. The BC interference was fine and Eagles’ dive was nuts. But I didn’t dig Ospreay kicking out of a Low Blow AND a title shot whack to the face. Phantasmo doing the former Bullet Club leaders’ moves was a good thing in theory, not necessarily in execution though. The crowd reacted big for the Style Clash for not the V-Trigger or One Winged Angel attempt which pretty much summed up my thoughts on the spot. It was silly to try and do both Omega and Styles. Another example of the match treading on its own toes. The whole finishing stretch just seemed off and the crowd was hot and cold on it rather than pure hot like most finishing stretches in New Japan. I don’t even know what to say. I liked the start where it was just a mindless spotfest - it was a fun and rather creative part of the match - but it fell apart and got disjointed and got a weird finishing stretch. It could’ve been better.

BULLET CLUB (Jay White, KENTA & Yujiro Takahashi) (w/Gedo) vs. CHAOS (Hirooki Goto, Tomohiro Ishii & YOSHI-HASHI)
    A typical six man tag in the upper end of the show. It was a nice breakup match from the Junior match to the next match. Did what it needed to do which wasn’t much.

IWGP United States Heavyweight Title No Disqualification Match (vacant): Juice Robinson vs. Lance Archer
    They did the best they could with such short notice. Juice Robinson was a bumping machine once again, making Archer look like a killer with her excellent selling. Archer looked great and had an energetic presence to him. A fun weapon filled match.

IWGP Heavyweight Title #1 Contendership At Tokyo Dome Match: EVIL vs. Kota Ibushi
    This was more easy to predict than the main event which says a lot. EVIL is just not beating Ibushi and the crowd not giving EVIL that great of a reaction whenever he was on offence I think was a good indicator of that. The match was pretty boring for large parts of the match, and that’s also on EVIL. He was really dry and unintresting to watch in the match. It looked like they had something with the early brawling stuff but the match went downhill after that. Ibushi, however, showed flashes of greatness but not enough. It’s not all bad though, that stomp counter in the corner by Ibushi ruled.

IWGP Heavyweight Title Match: Kazuchika Okada (c) vs. SANADA
    I’m one of the few that actually do like this pairing. They are flawed in the most obvious ways but I enjoy most of them nonetheless. However, I was coming into this match completely unphased by it. It’s overdone and there isn’t much difference between the matches. This was kind of the same really. That’s not an awful thing but it’s annoying. What else was annoying was SANADA going all Keiji Muoth and willing to sit in the skull end for ages. The match was actually good, it was frustrating to see them pacing themselves way too long. I like a bit of pacing but not to this level. NOW, onto the parts I liked. The sequences themselves were nicely done. Both guys when they are active are pretty exciting to watch and this was no different.. The selling was good. And they added little things like the fast paced start. SANADA getting emotional at the end was intriguing. I’m very interested in seeing where that goes, at least. A good main event.

Admin in Lockdown

Status

Oh I forgot to mention the Ospreay match in my post. I thought it was a pretty lousy, uninspired match with a hollow story of El Phatasmo pretending to be sportsman like for a couple of minutes and then once he starts cheating again you know you're just waiting for Ishimori to show back up again even though we had the fucking BC commentator doing a cheating spot in the match as well. I have to say as well, Ospreay became real boring by about halfway through the G1 and I can't sit through these 25 minute matches anymore. What really excited me for this year with Will was that he was getting this heavyweight push and it was all about the step up in his career, how he might have to adapt his style to the new challenges, the great match with Ibushi in the dome and debuting the new finisher, and to go from that to him going 50/50 with Juniors and now he's doing Jr tag tournaments as well, we need to call it like it is, he's had a regression this year and Shingo was the true Jr to heavy jump up this year.

WAKE UP

Status

Shame about Moxley, was really looking forward to the Juice match. Hopefully they still get to run it, maybe now at the Dome instead

Suzuki vs Liger was OK but a bit flat and disappointing I thought. Liger is still an all-time great and will go down as one of the best ever, but man Suzuki just does not have enough to control a near 20 minute match and for it to be that interesting. Suzuki needs to go to somewhere like Big Japan to freshen his act up and work with other shooters like Hideki and Nomura. Liger deserves a Flair-level send-off at the Dome.

Thread Information