Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bill Burr - Paper Tiger Discussion

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: Bill Burr - Paper Tiger Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by OMB View Post
    So whats your stand on Kathy G. and the trump joke?

Trevor Noah had a offensive joke too in 2010 but people seem to be ok with him now

Jim Jeffries

Colbert

Or Gilbert G. after the tsunamis in Japan
    Or how about Saturday Night Living firing that guy for anti-Asian comments, but at the same time welcome Eddie Murphy back even letting him host. If people aren't familiar with his act go look at his anti-gay/anti-asian stuff from the 80's.

Mid-Card Champion

Status

So your going to put today's views on something that happened over 30 years ago?

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Miracle View Post
    So your going to put today's views on something that happened over 30 years ago?
    To be clear I don't want any comedian to be punished for anything they say on stage, but by people's standards how long ago it happened doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Mid-Card Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Necro View Post
    To be clear I don't want any comedian to be punished for anything they say on stage, but by people's standards how long ago it happened doesn't mean it didn't happen.
    So, the material that was perfectly okay to say over 30 years ago and made him the biggest star in the world...you want him to be retroactively ridiculed and shamed for it? Yes, it happened, but wait...you don't want anyone to be punished for what they said on stage...so...it happened...like a shit ton of other things...let it go? I don't know what to say...why bring it up if you don't want Eddie to be punished??

Status

Eddie Murphy legit apologized for his gay slurs and AIDS comments like 20 years ago. You're looking for hypocrisy where there isn't any.

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread | Silk's Degrassi Recaps
    WC Rumble Winner 2017, Comic and Game Dork, Mafia Overlord, #Iconic

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

[footnote: Is now the longest reigning WWE Champion in Smackdown history]

No One

Status
      Country                    Canada

Burr wouldn't do that...use someone else, Patrice O'Neal was his best friend. His wife is black for christsake. For most comedians there is no color...there's asshole/non-asshole...regardless of whatever no-no subject you want to put on it. I say most, because you get a hack like Michael Richards...who was never a stand up until Seinfeld was over...he lets out his true feelings...that wasn't comedy.
    Wow. In case you're not aware "seeing no color" and "my x is black" dont make you not racist (or dont exempt you from racist actions). Color is and always will be 100% a thing in comedy, especially since 99% of colored comedians have routines centered around it.

Quote Originally Posted by Marketh View Post
    I mean, Chappelle did the squinty-eyed, me-so-solly, Chinese impression in Sticks and Stones and has gotten away with it. So I think there's a smart way of going about shocking racial humour - what Michael Richards did came off more like a nervous rant about his genuine feelings.
    The thing is, and I'm saying this as a black guy, black people making jokes about other races or sexualities (in general homophobic/transphobic humor isnt taken as seriously as racist humor towards black people) simply don't have the same impact as other races making jokes about black people. I'm not saying its right, because it 100% isnt, but it's true. I feel like you can probably find an example arguing otherwise, but if any of these major white comedians made the sort of jokes Chappele makes about Chinese people, they'd be fucking dead & buried in a second (not literally). On the flipside, if you're a white politician you can do whatever the fuck you want without any consequences because we hold comedians to a higher moral standard than we do the people in charge of our countries.

I'll stand by my statement that cancel culture is fake af. Unless you just count losing a gig as cancel culture in which case, alright fair. But these guys still have very successful careers. You have to be criminal level (Spacey/Weinstein) in which case literally anyone would lose their job. And even then, they're all so fucking rich that they can probably fuck off on a permanent vacation and never have a single worry in their life. The only thing cancel culture serves is for performers and politicians to profit off of because people will buy any "censorship" bullshit.

Hail To The King

Status

as a person of disablity I see comics make jokes all the time and I do not feel offended because they arent doing it out of mean spirit as compared as to me explain my disablity and guy stating he is that way after a night of self pleasure I was offended by that because he was being mean spirited.

Also I ask the question is it racist if one person of color or ethnic or sexual background make a joke about someone of the same culture. Also can people be racist torwards white people? Very grey lines at times. Just wanna state this is me asking a question not being a hole.

Spoiler:

CWA World Heavyweight Champion
    Brayden Bridges

People's Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by OMB View Post
    as a person of disablity I see comics make jokes all the time and I do not feel offended because they arent doing it out of mean spirit as compared as to me explain my disablity and guy stating he is that way after a night of self pleasure I was offended by that because he was being mean spirited.

Also I ask the question is it racist if one person of color or ethnic or sexual background make a joke about someone of the same culture. Also can people be racist torwards white people? Very grey lines at times. Just wanna state this is me asking a question not being a hole.
    Its great you can see past jokes about disabled people but there are disabled people who can be offended.

And yes you can be racist, prejudice against people of the same race/culture as yourself.

And yes you can be racist against white people. The only real difference is white people never had to suffer on the same levels as other races by another race.

There are different levels of racism and prejudice
    Last edited by indyfan; 09-20-2019 at 12:09 PM.
    ROH!!!ROH!!!ROH!!!

Status

So, the material that was perfectly okay to say over 30 years ago and made him the biggest star in the world...you want him to be retroactively ridiculed and shamed for it? Yes, it happened, but wait...you don't want anyone to be punished for what they said on stage...so...it happened...like a shit ton of other things...let it go? I don't know what to say...why bring it up if you don't want Eddie to be punished??
    I don't want Eddie Murphy punished, but I also don't think the guy who just got fired should have been for what he said. Even the Kevin Hart shit how old was that? People went and searched through his twitter from years prior.

Mid-Card Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Necro View Post
    I don't want Eddie Murphy punished, but I also don't think the guy who just got fired should have been for what he said. Even the Kevin Hart shit how old was that? People went and searched through his twitter from years prior.
    SNL fired the guy because he wasn't anyone, yet. It's much easier for them to get rid of the problem then stand by the guy and have to explain why they did. Everyone is something to someone, bad or good, for whatever reason there may be.

I don't know how to reply to you Jon...I'm not Bill Burr. Nor did I know you were black, nor do I care. I didn't know or remember OMB had a disability, nor do I care. It has no effect on me the way I interact with anyone on here. I don't interact with Jon hardly at all (that I'm aware of), but OMB and I do, he's helped out with the music lists quite a bit and BTB section...I wouldn't treat him any differently than I do...I try to treat everyone equally shitty.

Status

SNL fired the guy because he wasn't anyone, yet. It's much easier for them to get rid of the problem then stand by the guy and have to explain why they did. Everyone is something to someone, bad or good, for whatever reason there may be.
    That's a good point.

Bill Burr, Norm Mcdonald, Jim Jefferies have all come out against Saturday Night Live for firing him. This firing might actually make this guy's career.

Status

SNL guy is absolutely gonna be better off because he's gonna get himself the edgy audience he's always courted, because the anti-PC crowd is gonna flock to his schtick to make him some kind of martyr.

The guy was using racial slurs against Asian people in non-comedic context less than a year ago. He absolutely didn't deserve this spotlight. He sounds like a fuckhead.

Then again SNL is a great platform to launch a TV and film career off of so I can at least take solace in knowing those opportunities are gone for now.
    Last edited by Silk; 09-20-2019 at 04:06 PM.

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread | Silk's Degrassi Recaps
    WC Rumble Winner 2017, Comic and Game Dork, Mafia Overlord, #Iconic

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

[footnote: Is now the longest reigning WWE Champion in Smackdown history]

Mid-Card Champion

Status

Joe Rogan had comedian Mark Normand on the pod and they talk a lot about race and taboos in comedy.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information